BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m a big fan of Zacapa but my local store was out so I picked this up. It tastes VERY similar to Zacapa at 2/3 the price.

Attachment Attached File

Then a family friend came to visit my mom from Guatemala. The Zacapa shortage is over for now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of Zacapa but my local store was out so I picked this up. It tastes VERY similar to Zacapa at 2/3 the price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/3C871853-73D9-4C1A-A3B7-F3595F2116ED_jpe-1971959.JPG

Then a family friend came to visit my mom from Guatemala. The Zacapa shortage is over for now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/79359E46-3EE3-44BB-B3A6-34360E5BCAD4_jpe-1971960.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/21A0721F-63DD-43BF-9C9A-A756ED446C42_jpe-1971961.JPG
View Quote
Do you prefer the Zacapa as a sipper, or as a mixer and cocktails.  I haven't tried the bottle I have yet.  I've been on a straight Bourbon Old Fashioned kick for the last 2 months.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you prefer the Zacapa as a sipper, or as a mixer and cocktails.  I haven't tried the bottle I have yet.  I've been on a straight Bourbon Old Fashioned kick for the last 2 months.
View Quote

Straight with one ice cube. It's heaven in a glass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My local store is STILL out of Zacapa. This was a decent substitute at the same price:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I STILL need to go get a bottle of that FourSquare.  I keep buying more bottles of Bourbon
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just tried the detente.
Sagacity is a SLIGHTLY lower proof, darker, thicker, sweeter rum.
Thick mouthfeel, brown/cane sugar with sweet finish.
Detente is thinner, drinks hotter than 102 proof, more astringent, similar to flore de cana 18, imo.
This was a neck pour, maybe it will change on my next pour.
I like all the things Foursquare but this detente is my least favorite so far.
If you are looking for a rum that isn't overly sweet but drinks like a bourbon, this might be one to try.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20210222_172901-1837144.jpg
View Quote

So, out of that lineup, if you were going to pick just one which would it be?  I'm guessing the Sagacity?  I tend to prefer rums that are less sweet so most of the Foursquare offerings are up my alley, however the Detente might be a little too much for me at this point in my rum career.

I tried a bottle of Doorly's 12yr a few months ago based on an Employee Favorite card at Total Wine.  Under $30 per bottle, I think it's one of the better budget sippers I've tried.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Just tried some Plantation Dark rum in a Mai Tai riff. Damn that’s good. Definitely a different taste from the Havana Club 7 I’m used to
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Unfortunate choice of bottle art and name aside Rum Fire is an amazing Jamaican rum. This, along with the Hampden 8 year, is a love it or hate it bottle. If you're down with overripe banana/sour pineapple funk this is for you. Avoid all Hampden releases if you're looking for a bourbonish experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]
At a super basic level....while fermenting they do all the usual stuff, yeast, backset(they call it Dunder), molasses, ect. They also toss in what they call "muck" which is a special bacteria slurry. They then let it ferment for weeks rather than days. The muck plus the longer fermentation lets lots of fatty acids form. The fatty acids combine with the alcohol to form esters. It's the esters that give it the sweetness, overripe banana, and pineapple flavors...aka funk. Then they distill it in a pot still which doesn't strip out the esters.

From what I've been able to find straight pot still is pretty tricky to find. Most brands combine pot and column still to mellow out the flavor.

Wray and Nephew is a good unaged to start with. Smith and Cross as well as Plantation Xaymaca are good lightly aged starters. All are around $25ish.

If you want to jump right in Rum Fire is also only $25ish. Hampden 8 year is around $50.

Appleton estate is pretty ubiquitous but it's not super funky.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finished my Plantation Barbados last night. Would buy again. But probably not the Jamaica offering. Has a weird funk.
View Quote

Hogo or some other funk?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been really liking a Drink from the Cocktail Codex book called a Boukman Daiquiri

1½ oz. white rum
½ oz. Cognac
¾ oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. cinnamon syrup

Combine all ingredients with ice and shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Hypothetical situation.

You have a pass for a free drink at the pool.

What do you order?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Experimenting with cocktails even though I have plenty of good sipping RumsAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I like Pussers Admiral blend but I’m a poor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Experimenting with cocktails even though I have plenty of good sipping Rumshttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160387/B0C47722-5180-4C25-BDB8-307F2B0A9137_jpe-2031301.JPG
View Quote

Painkiller?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Painkiller?
View Quote

Basically yes ,but used 3oz rum,3oz each orange and pineapple and 1 oz coconut cream w/ a dash of grenadine for color
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
@justsayin

I located a bottle of Foursquare Distillery 16 Yr Shibboleth, but they want $159.99.  

First - Is this pricing in-line with what it should retail for?
Secondly - Is this bottle worth it?

You seem to be the Foursquare subject matter expert here
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I haven't had that.
I almost grabbed one until I saw the price, around that.
I knew nothing of it at the time.
I love Foursquare, but oddly, the mid priced bottles seem to cater to my tastes best.
I'll pay $150 for a bottle, but don't make a habit of doing it blindly.
(That's a lot for a Rum, imo.)
Reviews have it fruit forward, sweeter than you would expect from a bourbon barrel aging.

It's the highest priced offering I've seen from them, but it appears the neckbeards have found rum, and that's not a bad price for THAT bottle right now.
Please share if you bite, I've only found one so far I'm not impressed by, the Detente.
View Quote
Just got done watching a review.  I think the pricing isn't inflated (but still a pretty high MSRP) but what gives me pause is the reviewer felt is was pretty hot.  Now wondering if I hold out for the 2009 release.  It's higher ABV and less aging
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All of my purchases for the last 6 months with the exception of Luxardo Amaretto, has been bourbon.

Today I came home with this.  I've heard pretty good things.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/75325/20201027_141931_jpg-1656557.JPG
View Quote

Nice! I'm poor - I like Bacardi Spiced Rum, the one that used to be called Oakheart. Good flavor. I've tried some more expensive ones that just didn't have good flavor, but never tried that one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#27]
The second wave of The Great Zacapa Drought continues, but this stuff is ok.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/F4877717-C4EB-4AEF-BFA4-CD221988AD30_jpe-2164664.JPG
View Quote

No shortage of Zacapa here, but I thought your post was pretty timely.  I just bought two bottles of Papa`s 24 this week. $29.99 each They have been sitting on the shelf at my local package store for the last two years and were finally marked down.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No shortage of Zacapa here, but I thought your post was pretty timely.  I just bought two bottles of Papa`s 24 this week. $29.99 each They have been sitting on the shelf at my local package store for the last two years and were finally marked down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/F4877717-C4EB-4AEF-BFA4-CD221988AD30_jpe-2164664.JPG

Damn I paid $50 for mine. The store I buy from is high on everything though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I haven't had that.
I love Foursquare, but oddly, the mid priced bottles seem to cater to my tastes best.
Reviews have it fruit forward, sweeter than you would expect from a bourbon barrel aging.

It's the highest priced offering I've seen from them, but it appears the neckbeards have found rum, and that's not a bad price for THAT bottle right now.
Please share thoughts if you bite, I've only found one so far I'm not impressed by, the Detente
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@justsayin

I located a bottle of Foursquare Distillery 16 Yr Shibboleth, but they want $159.99.  

First - Is this pricing in-line with what it should retail for?
Secondly - Is this bottle worth it?

You seem to be the Foursquare subject matter expert here

I haven't had that.

Please share thoughts if you bite, I've only found one so far I'm not impressed by, the Detente

Hey all, newb here. Been lurkin' and (hopefully) learnin', so I hope this question hasn't been covered already somewhere and I just didn't
see it.
So here goes: I've seen several bottles where they specifically say "no sugar, no additives, no colors."
Can I assume that if they don't say so, they are adding sugar, color or additives?
Also, which area should I be looking to for a good rum? (Or does it depend on my taste?)

At present I am looking for a good mixer and a good sipper. (As in with one ice cube)

(The local liquor store has some Foursquare, the Zacapa 23, and some others I can't recall. Since this is a small town in WI
of about 10K people, I am quite surprised. They also have a Stagg Jr and some Pappy, among others. VERY surprising)

Thanks for any info. (The Bourbon guys (and gals) were MOST helpful, so I know you won't let me down.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Since I just recently "discovered" rum, I'm not sure. I guess I would say I'm in the "try it and see"
stage. I did most of my drinking over 25 years ago and most of what is popular now didn't exist then.
Whiskey was mostly Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort and about a dozen others (or so), Rum was Bacardi, Captain Morgan and a few others
Brandy was Korbel, Christian Brothers, E&J and a few others and that was pretty much it.
This was Green Bay in the 80's and early/late 90's.
I now live in a city of 10K in WI, and the liquor store has a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, and even some Buffalo Trace OFC.
Why they got them is a mystery to me as I don't see a real desire for items these expensive. Maybe it is just to show they can get
something like that.
They also have some of the Foursquare products, I just can't remember which ones off the top of my head. My short term memory
is terrible and always has been.

There are so many choices that I'm having a hard time deciding on what to try next. (Other than making the AR15 choice of both)
I want to try it all, but want to start with things that won't turn me off, but can help me choose what I like in a way that
isn't just hit and miss. It is almost like not knowing what questions to ask. I've got a book on rum and am reading but just
started. I'm learning as I go, and also have sinus problems. Sometimes I can't even smell 91% Isopropyl alcohol. That is being worked on,
but it will take time. So for now I want to take some baby steps and see what I like and then go where that leads me.

Currently I have 2 bottles of rum: Zacapa 23 and Don Q Gran Anejo. They seemed like a good price and others seemed to have a good opinion
of them, even if they aren't completely smitten by them.
I hope those are good starters at least.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Will do, but it may take a week or two. It just seems like there isn't enough time in the day to
get everything done.
Christmas is upon us and it is the first time in many years that the whole family will be here,
and sadly, probably the last. We are all getting older, and Mom and Dad are in their 80's. It makes me sad just to think about it.
Plus after this year and last, I want to make a big deal of them, just to show how important they are.
Birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas 2020 just weren't the same with most people (my parents included, sadly)
terrified of the possibility of the virus.
I think I will try them neat first. Then with one cube of ice, and then in some sort of mix drink.

Thanks, and cheers!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So here goes: I've seen several bottles where they specifically say "no sugar, no additives, no colors."
View Quote

What brands are doing this ?

The last time I poked around the Rum world, the use of additives/sugars was a hot topic and most distillers were trying to avoid the subject .
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The last time I poked around the Rum world, the use of additives/sugars was a hot topic and most distillers were trying to avoid the subject .
View Quote

If I recall correctly, it was the Foursquare bottles that said no additives, etc. At least they did in the product description on this particular website. (WoodenCork.com)
The ones where it was specifically mentioned were the Foursquare 2008, Nobiliary and Sagacity. Also R.L. Seales 12 yr and The Real McCoy 14 yr.
(This was just a quick blast through the rum section of that website, I didn't look at each listing)

I'm new to this so I am neither here nor there about additives. But it should be stated, and even better, explained why.
(If you add color because you had to filter something out and it removed the coloring, to me that would be OK as long as you don't try to make it
darker than it was before the filtering. To me that would be deceptive)  But flavors, I'm not so sure. I would need to here some sort of an explanation first.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone have a recommendation on the Foursquare 2009? I slept too long on the 2008 and never got a bottle. I don't want to miss out on the 2009 if it is any good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, it was the Foursquare bottles that said no additives, etc. At least they did in the product description on this particular website. (WoodenCork.com)
The ones where it was specifically mentioned were the Foursquare 2008, Nobiliary and Sagacity. Also R.L. Seales 12 yr and The Real McCoy 14 yr.
(This was just a quick blast through the rum section of that website, I didn't look at each listing)

I'm new to this so I am neither here nor there about additives. But it should be stated, and even better, explained why.
(If you add color because you had to filter something out and it removed the coloring, to me that would be OK as long as you don't try to make it
darker than it was before the filtering. To me that would be deceptive)  But flavors, I'm not so sure. I would need to here some sort of an explanation first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additives are a personal call. Some hate them and some don't care.

Myself, I don't want any additives in a sipper. I want to see and appreciate the skill of what the distiller can do with the ingredients, still, and barrels. Anybody can make a drinkable product using additives , it takes skill to do it without them.  
For a mixer, I don't see how it would matter. A person is already adding to the drink.

Some people have reactions to some additives. I know most flavored vodka gives me a headache.

Deception is a big one. Producers know they can use additives to pull more money out of cheap product or a bad run.

The last time I looked, Rum didn't have many reg's on labeling or production , so it was hard for a person to know what he was drinking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#39]
The Great Zacapa Drought continues. None of my three go to liquor stores can get their hands on a bottle of Zacapa. Kirk & Sweeney has been my usual substitute, but today one of the stores got this in. I bought an overpriced bottle and gave it a try. It’s rich, thick, and flavorful with a significant taste of port. I haven’t read up on it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was aged in port barrels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Drunk tap
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm ordering some Appleton 12, havana club seleccion maestros, and Plantation OFTD this week.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Release the kraken!
Clash of the Titans #10 Movie CLIP - Release the Kraken (2010) HD
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

K&S Used to be one of my favorites also (18yr). I noticed they no longer have age statements on their bottles. Have you tried any of those (missing age)? I'm assuming they wanted to blend in some younger stuff to reduce costs.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

K&S Used to be one of my favorites also (18yr). I noticed they no longer have age statements on their bottles. Have you tried any of those (missing age)? I'm assuming they wanted to blend in some younger stuff to reduce costs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The bottles here still have the age on them. The Grand Reserve doesn’t have the age on it but that’s their top end bottle. It sells for the same price as their 23 around here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Great Zacapa Drought continues. None of my three go to liquor stores can get their hands on a bottle of Zacapa. Kirk & Sweeney has been my usual substitute, but today one of the stores got this in. I bought an overpriced bottle and gave it a try. It's rich, thick, and flavorful with a significant taste of port. I haven't read up on it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was aged in port barrels.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/785CBBC8-0CE9-4657-A381-CCCB5C966CBF_jpe-2272176.JPG
View Quote
Not sure how I would like the port finish in a rum.  I've got a bourbon that was finished in port wine barrels, and it's not my favorite.  I've stopped in to several liquor stores the past month, and everyone has been out of stock of Fee Brother's Black Walnut bitters  Guy at one of chains that has multiple stores says the warehouse is out.

Great presentation pick by the way
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm really not much of a rum guy, have only ever drank spiced rums. Bumbu is always stocked in my bar. I keep a bottle of Kraken in case someone likes that shit.

My question for the gurus here. If I were wanting to get into straight rum, how do the labeling rules work here?

I have one bottle of Cruzan single barrel stuff that I've been meaning to try, but I honestly don't even know if that stuff has additives, or how to know. I've always kind liked the "spiced rum" labeled stuff, as you know you're in for a wild ride. But, want to get smart of the others.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm really nit much if a rum guy, have only ever drank spiced rums. Bumbu is always stocked in my bar. I keep a bottle of Kraken in case someone likes that shit.

My question for the gurus here. If I were wanting to get into straight rum, how do the labeling rules work here?

I have one bottle of Cruzan single barrel stuff that I've been meaning to try, but I honestly don't even know if that stuff has additives, or how to know. I've always kind liked the "spiced rum" labeled stuff, as you know you're in for a wild ride. But, want to get smart of the others.
View Quote
No real rules to speak of.

Spiced rum can be pretty much anything.
Age statements are tricky and you have to look at the rules of the country of origin. In some cases the age statement is only the age of the oldest spirit in the blend which only makes up a small % of the bottle.
For additives you can check out this site. Some distilleries are honest about it while some swear up and down they don't do it despite all evidence to the contrary.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Age statements are tricky and you have to look at the rules of the country of origin. In some cases the age statement is only the age of the oldest spirit in the blend which only makes up a small % of the bottle.
For additives you can check out this site. Some distilleries are honest about it while some swear up and down they don't do it despite all evidence to the contrary.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm really nit much if a rum guy, have only ever drank spiced rums. Bumbu is always stocked in my bar. I keep a bottle of Kraken in case someone likes that shit.

Very interesting. Thanks.

It looks like the additives in my Cruzan are at least minimal, if any.

It's like dealing with Canadian Whisky. It's anarchy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Very interesting. Thanks.

It looks like the additives in my Cruzan are at least minimal, if any.

It's like dealing with Canadian Whisky. It's anarchy.
View Quote
Super loose rule of thumb...

South/Central America is where you need to keep an eye out for shenanigans.

Generally the islands don't go in for adding sugar. An exception there is Plantation who are honest and claim it's part of their heritage as cognac producers.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone like the 7yr Old Monk rum? Tried some a few weeks ago, for the price I thought it was pretty good.

Nobody?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top