Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#1]
Going to try the reposado next......and barrel picks to boot....I guess my hometown store is growing up....!Attachment Attached File

ETA : to update on the Reposado. I didn’t like it. The barrel “resting” gave it a bitterness that it didn’t need. Also it has an extra creamy/oily mouth-feel that was .......interesting - but just made that bitterness follow through for too long. The wife seemed to think it was ok... but I like the clean taste of the blanco much better. Maybe some air-time will take some of that bitterness away.....otherwise is going to end up as a mixer......
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By natethegreat:
Got a 15% off tequila coupon @ total wine soo...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myd242bzp0lxsc8/PXL_20210410_233722417.PORTRAIT.jpg?raw=1
View Quote

How did you get the 15% off Tequila coupon?  I'll have to check to see if I can find one, I would probably use it on the same thing that you did.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They send me deal offers every so often, it just showed up in my inbox one day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
So what is the difference between a Tequila and a Sotol?
View Quote

The type of plant. Sotol is a dense woody plant more closely related to Yucca than it is to agave. For most of history it was thought to be an agave and was treated by producers exactly the same. Leaves chopped, pina harvested, roasted, fermented, crushed, and distilled. However it always required longer ferments and was more difficult to distill.

Sotol has incredible flavors that you can't really compare to anything else. I always just say "sotol" as the word to describe it. It's grassy and sweet, some pine sap, and leafy vegetables, balanced with tropical fruits. It is a really complex spirit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
With Summer on its way and me lurking around this thread the last couple of days I had to stop by the local store. Many of the usual staples here are disappearing because of the COVID backlog I guess.....so I was surprised to see some new offerings on the shelves. The Chamucos blanco at 55% was interesting as was the unique bottle of Religion.
Any opinions on any of these good or bad....?  Sorry if some are dupes.... I did pick up a bottle of G4 since I haven’t gotten one yet and couldn’t resist a try bottle of Vago Elote by Aquilano Garcia's family.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/22E9CA89-D7F5-4543-9B78-04E58F0378A2_jpe-1896288.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/C37C70FC-A934-4226-B699-1D309E7FBBEC_jpe-1896289.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/05FCF3A7-5340-4ECB-A0CD-6AACD03164CB_jpe-1896291.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/EE95F92A-AB32-4B3E-AFF4-B7B45144DBEE_jpe-1896293.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/2C824D99-6CD0-42ED-9747-3ED26E07A988_jpe-1896294.JPG
View Quote

Some great stuff! I've been really wanting to try the chamucos 55. Ocho, azunia, la luna, banhez, perlas. All great
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WOAFP:

Some great stuff! I've been really wanting to try the chamucos 55. Ocho, azunia, la luna, banhez, perlas. All great
View Quote

Well - hey there...!
Hadn’t seen a post from you for a bit. Was about to reach out to you and make sure you were still with us. Good to hear from you.

I’ll be getting a couple of those bottles and give them a shot (or sip, really) and report back...
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Well - hey there...!
Hadn’t seen a post from you for a bit. Was about to reach out to you and make sure you were still with us. Good to hear from you.

I’ll be getting a couple of those bottles and give them a shot (or sip, really) and report back...
View Quote

The Tequila Ocho reposado is still one of my favorites.  I've had smoother, but the complexity with the taste  is awesome, it's got a lot going on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]
A few more not-see-before in my area.......my liquor fort value is going to start catching up to my ammo fort if I keep this up. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
A few more not-see-before in my area.......my liquor fort value is going to start catching up to my ammo fort if I keep this up. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/F30D1931-5018-4DF2-BC5F-BBDE65B73CDE_jpe-1916737.JPG
View Quote

Marca negra is great, but I didn't love that tepextate from banhez. Marca negra espadin was the bottle I brought with me to korea to still have good mezcal with me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
A little mexico only tobala to keep myself working for the night

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A little mexico only tobala to keep myself working for the night

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20210426_202432-1920331.jpg
View Quote

I’m still waiting for that order of Don Guelo’s 20 Year Heritage Blue Weber Agave Spirit 3x200ml from Flask. I just sent them an inquiry as to when it might ship. Call me impatient!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I’m still waiting for that order of Don Guelo’s 20 Year Heritage Blue Weber Agave Spirit 3x200ml from Flask. I just sent them an inquiry as to when it might ship. Call me impatient!
View Quote

Me too man. It was supposed to be "late april" and i'm getting impatient. They are a great business though so i'm not worried. Just wish i had it already.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Me too man. It was supposed to be "late april" and i'm getting impatient. They are a great business though so i'm not worried. Just wish i had it already.
View Quote

I’ll let you know if they reply. I am excited to try it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]

I’ll let you know if they reply. I am excited to try it!
View Quote

@speyrod just got my delivery confirmation! I'm amped
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Excellent! I’ll watch my emails!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]

I love their pechuga! Its really cool to see one made from cupreata instead of espadin.

I have about 12 of their bottles and keep wondering what to make with them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Just got my delivery confirmation!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I enjoy G4 blanco. Is this any good? Good price on it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By drscws:
I enjoy G4 blanco. Is this any good? Good price on it?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/229967/B4AF7078-2A5F-4F6B-9CCA-EA779BBE3775-1923790.jpg
View Quote

Honestly, I haven't really enjoyed mine much. I've been disappointed in most of the G4 stuff other than the blanco and the blanco 110
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Honestly, I haven't really enjoyed mine much. I've been disappointed in most of the G4 stuff other than the blanco and the blanco 110
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Enjoyed an amazing rabbit pechuga last night. This one is way too good

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Went to grab a new bottle of blanco Fortaleza and found a bottle of batch 100.

Rest of the collection just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ohiobr:
https://i.imgur.com/7rkWAJ1.jpg

Went to grab a new bottle of blanco Fortaleza and found a bottle of batch 100.

Rest of the collection just for the hell of it.
View Quote

Whole lot of delicious in that shot!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]
@WOAFP It’s here! All I can say wow! This is special! Thank you for the recommendation. It takes me back to the times I have spent down there. Truly special stuff.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#26]
@WOAFP It’s here! All I can say wow! This is special! Thank you for the recommendation. It takes me back to the times I have spent down there. Truly special stuff.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/D405D4D9-3851-404F-ACD2-718934900FBD_jpe-1929879.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/AB346B11-8689-49B7-B4A6-07C8A8531F07_jpe-1929880.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/4BA3A7EC-B7FF-41E5-85A3-F88BF1CF2A3B_jpe-1929881.JPG
View Quote

Happy late birthday gift to yourself and happy early cinco de mayo! I'm furious you beat me though

I won't get mine until this weekend so enjoy a little extra for me!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Awe yeah!!!! Finally got mine.

A 42.6, 40.4, and 40.5

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Awe yeah!!!! Finally got mine.

A 42.6, 40.4, and 40.5

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20210508_105821-1934380.jpg
View Quote

Enjoy! It is pretty amazing!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:38:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#29]
Picked up a couple of items I haven’t tried before... the Ocho on recommendation from this thread and the Siempre was suggested by the shop owners son.

The Ocho was up first.
The nose is really nice Agave forward with a wonderful alcohol presence. A bit of vanilla maybe...?
The palette is quite oily with almost no alcohol burn. More earth than mineral. A tiny bit of sweetness and some vegetables or grass muddled in.
The finish is lasting with almost a “meaty/cheese” flavor to it.
A bit reminiscent of G4 but more body and earth to it.

Up next - Siempre Plata. This uses equal parts of highland and lowland agave for a craft recipe that is supposed exhibit both the fruitiness and earthy flavors of each.

The nose is almost non-existent (to me) .....really just flat.....maybe a bit of lime.
The palette explodes with fresh agave, citrus fruit, some earthy mineral, roasted pepper and a good bit of heat to it. I believe they use volcanic spring water and it shows. Fresh, clear and clean without any oil feel to it.
Low-key peppery finish and the heat leaves almost instantly with a final taste of lime. I REALLY like this ...a lot. And only $33. The clerk was really talking up the anejo so that may be next in line.....though I haven’t found any aged agave to my liking - except in a cocktail.

ETA: a day after opening the bottles,the nose on the Siempre has revealed a strong “buttery” aroma and more vanilla, yet no alcohol smell at all. The OCHO also opened up with slightly more earth and still maintained that wonderful musty alcohol smell, very different but both very enjoyable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up a couple of items I haven’t tried before... the Ocho on recommendation from this thread and the Siempre was suggested by the shop owners son.

The Ocho was up first.
The nose is really nice Agave forward with a wonderful alcohol presence. A bit of vanilla maybe...?
The palette is quite oily with almost no alcohol burn. More earth than mineral. A tiny bit of sweetness and some vegetables or grass muddled in.
The finish is lasting with almost a “meaty/cheese” flavor to it.
A bit reminiscent of G4 but more body and earth to it.

Up next - Siempre Plata. This uses equal parts of highland and lowland agave for a craft recipe that is supposed exhibit both the fruitiness and earthy flavors of each.

The nose is almost non-existent (to me) .....really just flat.....maybe a bit of lime.
The palette explodes with fresh agave, citrus fruit, some earthy mineral, roasted pepper and a good bit of heat to it. I believe they use volcanic spring water and it shows. Fresh, clear and clean without any oil feel to it.
Low-key peppery finish and the heat leaves almost instantly with a final taste of lime. I REALLY like this ...a lot. And only $33. The clerk was really talking up the anejo so that may be next in line.....though I haven’t found any aged agave to my liking - except in a cocktail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/AD93062F-1801-4A1C-AEE1-423D114E91B2_jpe-1950898.JPG
View Quote

Great write up! Not had the siempre, but I absolutely love ocho.

Aged is definitely tricky. There is a very fine line between complimenting the tequila and overpowering it and very few do it well
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always been more of a whiskey, specifically bourbon guy, and last night my brother in law gave me a pour of Don Julio 1942. I'm sold. It was so damn good, so now I'm wondering, what should I be looking at for a solid Anejo that is around $50? Can't quite swing 1942 prices right now
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:
I've always been more of a whiskey, specifically bourbon guy, and last night my brother in law gave me a pour of Don Julio 1942. I'm sold. It was so damn good, so now I'm wondering, what should I be looking at for a solid Anejo that is around $50? Can't quite swing 1942 prices right now
View Quote

I too just jumped on the 1942 train and was blown the fuk away
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Enjoyed an amazing rabbit pechuga last night. This one is way too good

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/IMG_20210430_195353_373-1925810.jpg
View Quote

What glasses are these?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#34]

What glasses are these?
View Quote

Those are the Denver and liely agave glasses. They are nice for higher proof mezcals, but I would skip them for most tequilas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kiltakaze] [#35]

Those are the Denver and liely agave glasses. They are nice for higher proof mezcals, but I would skip them for most tequilas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What glasses are these?

I actually try to use the correct glasses for the correct spirits when I can. Any recommendations for someone new to tequilas?

One of my bourbon trail glasses did well last night
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#36]

I actually try to use the correct glasses for the correct spirits when I can. Any recommendations for someone new to tequilas?

View Quote

So the last few years the industry has tried to make their own glass to sell, just like you had the glencairns become the standard for whiskey. Theyve tried to settle into what are basically champagne flutes and the suck. Riedel sells their "tequila" glass, and it's just not a good experience with them. Too tall, big head tilt to get a sip, doesn't do much to focus the nose. Just a weird move by riedel to try and cash in.

Traditionally agave spirits were drank from small bowls called copitas made from clay, glass, or gords. But really anything under 90 proof any nice tasting glass is just fine. Glencairn, nosing glass, brandy snifters, the reidel vinum or premier...etc. if you ever get into mezcals which are typically bottled at still strength, then you want something that doesn't funnel the nose. You want something wide mouth that lets the nose open up
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#37]

So the last few years the industry has tried to make their own glass to sell, just like you had the glencairns become the standard for whiskey. Theyve tried to settle into what are basically champagne flutes and the suck. Riedel sells their "tequila" glass, and it's just not a good experience with them. Too tall, big head tilt to get a sip, doesn't do much to focus the nose. Just a weird move by riedel to try and cash in.

Traditionally agave spirits were drank from small bowls called copitas made from clay, glass, or gords. But really anything under 90 proof any nice tasting glass is just fine. Glencairn, nosing glass, brandy snifters, the reidel vinum or premier...etc. if you ever get into mezcals which are typically bottled at still strength, then you want something that doesn't funnel the nose. You want something wide mouth that lets the nose open up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good deal. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Not super unique, but I am a huge fan

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
Not super unique, but I am a huge fan

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247398/CFD2DD60-3C6D-499F-8FFC-554FCE02878B_jpe-1957498.JPG
View Quote

Glad you're able to find it if you like it. Apparently tequila sales are skyrocketing the last year and some things are getting hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vugger] [#40]
What about Clase Azul? I lean toward the blanco actually, but I have been a fan of their tequila.

ETA: As per your comment above, I have not had any luck finding it lately
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By vugger:
What about Clase Azul? I lean toward the blanco actually, but I have been a fan of their tequila.

ETA: As per your comment above, I have not had any luck finding it lately
View Quote

I would always encourage anyone looking for clase azul to branch out into other brands. they jump distilleries constantly to buy whatever cheap unsold stock is left over and sell people a pretty bottle with a cheap subpar tequila. It is one of the few 100% agave tequilas to score below a 70point in several blind panel tasting, and is consistently rated as one of the worst values in tequila.

Currently they are buying from NOM 1595 but for most of their history they bought from NOM 1137. 1137 has dozens of brands that you can find here and most will be incredibly similar to the clase azul without the huge price increase for the bottle. Evelo is probably the best product that 1137 makes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Very impressed with thisAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Very impressed with thishttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/293626/20210531_161152_jpg-1963251.JPG
View Quote

Im so glad you liked it!
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#44]
What would be the next step up from El Buho Mezcal?  I am just about to finish that bottle, and want to explore something a little bit smokier.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Im so glad you liked it!
View Quote

A friend of mine got me into blancos a few years ago, and he is a die hard fan of El Tesoro.   The blanco is a staple in my bar and I bought a bottle of repo that was amazing and didn't last long.   I think a bottle of paradiso is in my near future.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AZGR:

A friend of mine got me into blancos a few years ago, and he is a die hard fan of El Tesoro.   The blanco is a staple in my bar and I bought a bottle of repo that was amazing and didn't last long.   I think a bottle of paradiso is in my near future.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Act quickly before the you have to pay $200.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif
Act quickly before the you have to pay $200.
View Quote

Yeah, that was a hell of a price jump
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Uh oh..  Is it going up?  I'm going to be in San Diego in July and was planning to make a stop at Old Town Tequila..  Maybe I should buy sooner?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I just checked - Paradiso is at $130 at Old Town Tequila..  I'm tempted to just order online and have it shipped, but with temperatures in AZ so hot right now I am hesitant.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Decided to broaden my horizons and grabbed something off the shelf. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top