Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Used to see Elmer T Lee fairly often at reasonable prices.

It was decent whiskey but now it is scarce and last time I saw some they were asking around $100.

Not worth that IMO
View Quote

Agree.  We have it here in PA on lottery.   $38.  It is not worth $100.  Maybe $50 just so you can say you tried it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agree.  We have it here in PA on lottery.   $38.  It is not worth $100.  Maybe $50 just so you can say you tried it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was decent whiskey but now it is scarce and last time I saw some they were asking around $100.

Not worth that IMO

I'm sipping on an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof right now. Damn good. I think for an everyday bourbon a barrel strength should be the go to pour. You can always add a little water if it's too much but you'll never ever accuse any of them of being an "almost" bourbon. Stagg Jr, Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, ECBP, JD...there are a lot of them now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not worth that IMO

Yep.  For $100 there are others I'd get.  For $50 I'd pick a bottle up.  I think I paid $45 for my bottle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where in Tennessee is that?
View All Quotes
@marsh-vol

That was at Corks Wine and Spirits in Memphis about 3 months ago.

I was passing through and stopped at a few of the bigger liquor stores and they all had large quantities of Weller SR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@marsh-vol

That was at Corks Wine and Spirits in Memphis about 3 months ago.

I was passing through and stopped at a few of the bigger liquor stores and they all had large quantities of Weller SR.
View Quote
@TN-MadDog

I thought you were probably in west TN.  I haven't seen a display like that in the eastern part of the state.  We do have a plethora of taxed "moonshine" going for us.  Sevier County is trying to become the Bardstown of moonshine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Blantons gets praise for being unique.  For a rye bourbon it's got just enough sweetness.  Others try to tailor their mash bill to mimic it, but it's just a copy.

Blanton isn't my favorite by a long shot, but I like it every once in a while.

I can get Weller 12 pretty regularly and its an every day pour.

I don't understand the love for Eagle Rare.  I consider it "almost bourbon".  It has a beginning and finish, but no middle.  Like drinking flavored water.

OP, you might try Elmer T Lee or 4 Roses Single Barrel.  Woodford Double Oaked is a sweet bourbon you may like.
View Quote
Just curious, have you ever tried Rock Hill Farms?  Slightly higher proof at 100 but same #2 mash bill as Blantons.  My opinion is above on Blantons but I fucking love RHF. Too bad its also a complete pain in the ass to find.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Tapped the Weller tonight and it is nice.  I can't say it's better than Elijah Craig, but it's my first pour.  I have a bottle to get through so, maybe it will prove better.

I will still try 4 Roses and the Jefferson in the upcoming weeks.

Worst case scenerio, I really like EC and Weller, so I'm content no matter what.

Thanks for your guidance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just curious, have you ever tried Rock Hill Farms?  Slightly higher proof at 100 but same #2 mash bill as Blantons.  My opinion is above on Blantons but I fucking love RHF. Too bad its also a complete pain in the ass to find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blantons gets praise for being unique.  For a rye bourbon it's got just enough sweetness.  Others try to tailor their mash bill to mimic it, but it's just a copy.

Blanton isn't my favorite by a long shot, but I like it every once in a while.

I can get Weller 12 pretty regularly and its an every day pour.

I don't understand the love for Eagle Rare.  I consider it "almost bourbon".  It has a beginning and finish, but no middle.  Like drinking flavored water.

OP, you might try Elmer T Lee or 4 Roses Single Barrel.  Woodford Double Oaked is a sweet bourbon you may like.
I haven't although I had the opportunity to buy.  I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve been trying a lot of different bourbons. I like Beam’s line. Beam black is good but the texture is too buttery for me. Stepping up the like, knob creek is very good imo. Great for the price. I like the spicey notes. I don’t know the Mashbill but I imagine heavy rye. I’m drinking basil Hayden right now. Also very good but a bit thin at 80 proof. Less Spicey then knob creek and very well balanced but yea thin.

Bulleit bourbon and rye are very good for the price.

Buffalo trace is another good option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Toss up tonight between this

or this.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
another vote for 4 roses.

either the single barrel or small batch
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I would go with the Weller
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not worth that IMO
View Quote
Local shop had a couple bottles on the shelf for $80 a few weeks ago. I wanted to grab one, but my cheapskate side just wouldn't let me.

Grabbed a bottle of Monkey Shoulder instead. Not a bourbon, but still a decent drink for the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I would go for the Stagg Jr. everytime.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
another vote for 4 roses.

either the single barrel or small batch
View Quote
I have a Single Barrel Barrel Strength Store Pick OSBV recipe 11 year old on the shelf. That's special occasion stuff. Haven't cracked it open yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would go with the Weller
View All Quotes
Yeah, OWA won but not the store pick. I have an open handle that I'm nursing. Stuff's too hard to find around here. That one's getting saved. Won it on a $3.90 raffle ticket + shipping. It's a good luck bottle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#20]
The thing about a lot of these "rare" bourbons in the past year or two is that they aren't rare at all. Bourbon is massively trendy right now and the distilleries know that. They're almost certainly holding back stock in a lot of cases.

In other cases, something that may be super "rare" in one state may be on every shelf in another because of the way that allocations or various state laws can work.

I just bought a few bottles of 1792, both standard and small batch, because they just lost 18,000 barrels in that rickhouse collapse. Maybe itll actually be rare at some point in the next few years.

Drink whatever tastes good to ya. Try lots of stuff thats in your price range. If you dont like it, you're bound to have a friend that will happily get drunk on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
^^^^^ this ^^^^^

My suggestion is find a bar and try them out before buying an entire bottle. Bourbon is super trendy. Any big city steakhouse bar or higher end hotel lobby bar is gong to have a good selection. Hell the PF Chang’s bar I was in earlier this week had a good selection including BT, Basil Hayden, Makers, Angel’s Envy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The thing about a lot of these "rare" bourbons in the past year or two is that they aren't rare at all. Bourbon is massively trendy right now and the distilleries know that. They're almost certainly holding back stock in a lot of cases.

In other cases, something that may be super "rare" in one state may be on every shelf in another because of the way that allocations or various state laws can work.

I just bought a few bottles of 1792, both standard and small batch, because they just lost 18,000 barrels in that rickhouse collapse. Maybe itll actually be rare at some point in the next few years.

Drink whatever tastes good to ya. Try lots of stuff thats in your price range. If you dont like it, you're bound to have a friend that will happily get drunk on it.
View Quote
Funny you should mention 1792. Bartons is recovering a lot of the undamaged barrels and dumping them as a new line. A blogger stated that the barrels lost represented only .03% of all barrels currently warehoused in Kentucky. Bourbon is most certainly not rare. The distillers are in fact creating their markets through allocations and we are swallowing it hook, line, sinker and dram.

Signed,

Hooked Fanboy of all things Buffalo Trace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Based on your taste preference I think you should try Angels Envy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking to try a new sipping bourbon.

Thanks
View Quote

And as someone else has suggested, Basil Hayden is good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention 1792. Bartons is recovering a lot of the undamaged barrels and dumping them as a new line. A blogger stated that the barrels lost represented only .03% of all barrels currently warehoused in Kentucky. Bourbon is most certainly not rare. The distillers are in fact creating their markets through allocations and we are swallowing it hook, line, sinker and dram.

Signed,

Hooked Fanboy of all things Buffalo Trace.
View Quote
Bolded for the motherfuckingtruth.  I sit and imagine huge warehouses full of EHT, RHF and Weller with some prick in the corner laughing his ass off....6 bottles for Illinois today hahaha, 4 bottles going to Ohio hahaha......
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Once your taste has matured a little I suggest trying each of the below. They are readily available and very good. I saw every one of these on the shelf at my local liquor store today.

The three below are an excellent value for the money and always on the shelf here locally:

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#27]
OGD 114 is arguably one of the best "bottom shelf" bourbons every made. I prefer the Russel's Reserve 10 year but it is fabulous as well as the Rare Breed and the Kentucky Spirit. Can't disagree with the Booker's pick either, although with their steady price increases since 2016 they've really exceeded the top of the mark for a barrel proof bourbon. It should still be around a $60 bottle. The only one I've never been able to like is the McKenna's. So many good reviews, yet my palate just didn't care for it. To me it tasted as if it had been filtered through dirt. May have just been the one bottle, but first impressions and all being what they are I think there are plenty of others to enjoy.

ETA And WT 101 is a classic that needs nothing said except it is a must have on every shelf.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up a bottle of Four Roses small batch for tomorrow.

Killed the Weller right quick.  It was actually too smooth/ bland.

I think the more I try bourbons, the more my taste wants richer, spicier notes... kind of like cigars I guess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the more I try bourbons, the more my taste wants richer, spicier notes... kind of like cigars I guess.
View Quote
Try some of the rye bourbon.

Or my true drink of choice, single malt scotch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look for the high rye content bourbons. Those are my favorite as well. You may like the high proof stuff too like I do. And you thought guns were an expensive hobby.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Look for the high rye content bourbons. Those are my favorite as well. You may like the high proof stuff too like I do. And you thought guns were an expensive hobby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Buffalo Trace Mash Bill #2 is their high rye. Names you might recognize from this "sour" mash are Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms and a surprisingly good "bottom shelf" pour, Ancient (Ancient) Age. Look for the 10 star which is the 6 year pour. The 10 year AAA is only released in KY. Blanton's and RHF are both top shelf high rye pours. Another lesser known yet no less popular is the Hancock Presidential Bourbon. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#32]
ever try woodford reserve?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Picked up Wild Turkey 101.  Will try that tonight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#36]
We go to Makers every year, and I usually buy a bottle of something new every time. I love the White and 46, next will be the cast strength. Wheated bourbons are smoother in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I do want to try the 46.  The regular Makers was almost too smooth.

I really liked the WT 101.  It had just enough bite, but was also very sweet.  It is probably in my top 4 right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Picked up Wild Turkey 101.  Will try that tonight.
View Quote
This is a good test to get the whiskey noobs/snobs riled up. People love to shit on WT, but the 101 is good, Rare Breed is good, the 101 Rye is very good, the bottle of Kentucky Spirit I have is excellent, and WT Decades is fantastic... Forgiven is meh.

People don’t think that the Turkey be like it is. But it do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I do like it.  I'll finish it tonight and pick up a bottle of something else today.

Maybe the Woodford or McKenna?  Russell is by WT, but I don't remember seeing that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I do like it.  I'll finish it tonight and pick up a bottle of something else today.

Maybe the Woodford or McKenna?  Russell is by WT, but I don't remember seeing that.
View Quote
I really like McKenna Bottled in Bond as it ticks a lot of the boxes for me: BiB, 10 year age stated, Single Barrel, at $30/bottle, it’s a great value. And the stuff inside the bottle is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Blantons, if you can find it, is the best affordable bourbon money can buy.
View Quote
+1 if you can find it. Good stuff.

Makers 46 is good also. Normal Makers is my normal "table" bourbon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Another vote for Elijah Craig.  Good stuff and has a real cork in it.  Smoother than most I have tried over three decades now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#43]
EC small batch is by far my favorite.  Tomorrow I will pick up something new.  I really think I need to try BT again.

I have been drinking JB for almost 25 years now.  My grandfather drank it.  neat.  I am just now trying other styles.

I poured a shot of JB and it was horrific in comparison to what has been mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#44]
This is a great thread.  I only drink whiskey and am always looking for something new.

Had some High West Campfire at a wedding not too long ago.  Loved it.

Just went through a bottle of Redemption which was not bad.  Working on a bottle of Larceny right now that is just ok.

I really like Pendleton, Bulleit, Jameson, Buffalo Trace and Basil Hayden single barrel.

Next on the list is Four Roses, Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve and Blantons.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Old Fitzgerald 1958

Anyone tried this???
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked up Woodford Reserve.  They had Russell, but it was near $50.  I was looking at Jefferson and Woodford, both ~$38.  Whistlepig caught my eye but it was $80 and up

Just need to pick a cigar tonight to go with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Buffalo trace, Evan Williams single barrel, Bulleit

Pretty much anything from Kentucky for me, I don't have a refined palate but I've found that if I stick to Kentucky bourbon I like it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Wild Turkey 101>Woodford Reserve.

Has a flat chemical taste.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Elijah Craig small batch
Wild Turkey 101
Evan Williams small batch
Buffalo Trace?
Weller's
Makers

WT really might be up there.... Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow, I feel bad.  The Woodford is just not doing it.  What a beautiful bottle and reviews, but Two weeks into it, just not liking it.

Russell's and McKenna are left to try.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top