Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
Had a pleasant surprise at my favorite liquor store today.  I was offered a sample of Redemption High Rye 9 Year Old whiskey.  It’s an MGPI product with a mash-bill of 60% corn, 36% rye and 4% barley. It's barreled with minimal filtration at 54.6% ABV.  This is the first time I sampled a Redemption product.  I’m really impressed.  The nose is dark and sweet below a strong ethanol burst.  The palate is very complex and hard to describe, but excellent and enjoyable.  At 54.6% the burn is noticeable, but not unpleasant .  It coats the tongue and finishes long, spicy, and sweet.  Again, I’m very pleased with this whiskey and going back to get a bottle.  If you've had it, what's your opinion?  How about any of their other offerings?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have wondered about this bottle myself for a while now. I have seen 3 bottles sit at  a store near me now for almost 3 months, but at $92 I have been a bit hesitant. Just wondered if it was worth the money or not?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting to the bottom of my bottle of Rendezvous that I've really enjoyed. 

Wanna try the Double Rye next.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have wondered about this bottle myself for a while now. I have seen 3 bottles sit at  a store near me now for almost 3 months, but at $92 I have been a bit hesitant. Just wondered if it was worth the money or not?
View Quote
It's $79.00 here.  I'm buying a bottle just because it so unique.  It's something I'll drink once in a while just for something completely different.  I chase lots of bottles and sometimes "unique" catches my attention.  That's what this whiskey did.  I was lucky to get a sip before paying a fairly steep price.  I hope you can find a bar that has a bottle and try before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the Redemption line has been pretty solid. I think the straight rye is still my favorite.

It's all sourced from MGP, but whoever is doing to picking/blending seems to know what they're about. I'm very interested to try the wheated bourbon that is coming next--51% corn, 45% wheat, 4% malted barley. The last time we saw this mashbill was at 2 years old as 'Spirit of America' bourbon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only had one bottle of Redemption Rye. I found it hot and while not unpleasant decidedly crude and unrefined.

I returned to my standard Sazerac Rye. I might be inclined to try a higher line product, but your tasting notes portray the same things I disliked about the less expensive offering, so maybe not.
Top Top