Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 2:24:17 PM EDT
I have always had problems with razor rash and ingrown hairs that was until I started mixing tea tree oil in my shaving cream and add some to store bought after shave!

The stuff is great it cools your face when you put it on clears up your skin just great over all just one small smelly set back! The stuff stinks to high hell! I'm talking real bad and it just keeps stinking great if your going out in the woods as it is awesome to keep the bugs off you but that smell makes you think that's what someone made it for in a lab.

So like to know do any of you know of a good homemade aftershave recipe that I can use the tea tree oil in that will not keep away my wife?

I was thinking of bay rum aftershave but willing to hear any advice or ideas out there thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Have yet to try making my own, but it's worth a try.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Let us know if you find a source for Pimenta racemosa.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have yet to try making my own, but it's worth a try.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/
View Quote

So there actually is Rum in Bay Rum aftershave..
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let us know if you find a source for Pimenta racemosa.
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Aura-Cacia-Essential-Pimenta-Racemosa/dp/B001895GG0

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello:

I have just made two distinct batches of home-made Bay Rum; sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  In the year.  I have been experimenting with my new hobby since I am into wet shaving, after shaves, and interesting colognes.  It has been very rewarding, fun, and economical compared to the price of over the counter alternatives.

One turned out with a more sweet, citrus high note while the other has a smokey note.  Both have a very spicy base as would be expected given the spices used.  I have been giving out samples in some jars that I got and I will be glad to share some with you since you seem interested.  IM me your contact info and I will mail them out.  That way you can decide if you want to make a batch for yourself.  I still have the recipes, so either one can be reproduced.

The ingredients are Witch Hazel, denatured alcohol, glycerine, and spices.  Yes, I used fresh Bay Laurel leaves from the tree in my side yard, not actual Pimenta Racemosa from the West Indies.  I have the plant bookmarked on Amazon for a future purchase, but for now the Bay Laurel will do.  What is funny is that some websites, including one of the two recipes on the Art of Manliness, call for Bay Laurel.  Don't worry, you won't smell remotely like beef stew.  I gave some to my 25 yo son and he has already received a compliment from a young lady, although she must have been VERY close since the smell doesn't linger.

The scent of the aftershave won't linger even as long as something like 4711 or Old Spice, so it won't interfere with your cologne.  They have an amber color, but won't stain your face to make you look like an Oompa-Loompa, so no worries.  If you make a gallon and soak your entire face for an hour, let me know how that turns out.  

Tested on me, not on animals.  If you have any questions, please let me know, I will be glad to share.

My current production favorites, not that anybody asked, are Speick, 4711, Caswell-Massey #6 for when you need that authentic Founding-Father scent.  The Number Six will return if you begin to sweat or heat up again, but is smells pleasant, so no worries.

-White Horse

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top