Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Taylor of Old Bond or Art of Shaving
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap.  I’ve got a couple samples of Stirling I’ll try out in a year or two whenever I use up this puck.  Tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street that’s supposed to be for people with sensitive skin, but the scent was a bit too much and my skin broke out anyway.  Not really the kind of guy who likes a ton of perfume smell though, and the wool fat soap works great.  Not sure I’ll bother trying many of the bajillion other soaps out there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hooooon:
I use Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap.  I’ve got a couple samples of Stirling I’ll try out in a year or two whenever I use up this puck.  Tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street that’s supposed to be for people with sensitive skin, but the scent was a bit too much and my skin broke out anyway.  Not really the kind of guy who likes a ton of perfume smell though, and the wool fat soap works great.  Not sure I’ll bother trying many of the bajillion other soaps out there.
View Quote

I find a lot of stuff irritating to my skin, everything TOBS falls into that category.  

ARKO doesn't irritate though, and it turns me into a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

I find a lot of stuff irritating to my skin, everything TOBS falls into that category.  

ARKO doesn't irritate though, and it turns me into a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus.
View Quote
I may try Arko.  Worst case scenario I can cut them up and use them for urinal cakes at work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hooooon:
I may try Arko.  Worst case scenario I can cut them up and use them for urinal cakes at work.
View Quote

Lilac Vegetal really reset my definition of "worst case" for mens grooming supplies.  It's best sealed in concrete and dropped into mineshafts or deep bodies of water as both joke and curse on future archaeologists.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
TOBS, easily.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Ogallala shaving soap has a new formula.  My neighbors got me some and its super nice stuff, much better than the older formulas.  Give it a try if you like bay rum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Me too.  I take the stick and jam it into my shaving mug.  Its stiff like cold modeling clay, but after a bit I get it flat in the bottom.  Lathers up NICE!  Its $16 for 12 sticks on the 'zon, and I'm into my third stick since last fall.

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Robertpistol] [#9]
I just use hand lotion and some water, none of the soaps or shaving cream every really did the trick for me. I don't have thin hair either, i could grow a Jihadi looking beard out pretty fast if i wanted too. The razor is what really matters also - single blade, no, even with lotion it will nick me up bad...3 to 4 blade is a must.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried some Sudsy Soapery this week, Almond vanilla and its really nice soap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Proraso white is the way!
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Fo shizzle!

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Van Der Hagen, it's what they have around here and it works.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
TOOBS's sandalwood is my pick.

I also like their sandalwood bar soap.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Van Der Hagen Unscented.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Proraso

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Proraso is my go to. I have one that I use with my shaving bowl/brush, and one that comes in a tube like toothpaste for travel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Stumbled across this company when out looking at watches in the STL. Bought a couple of scents. I love the Drake in the Black Tie Line. Smells like Drakkar should smell and lathered up very nice and was very slick.

https://www.sirhenryssundries.com/

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#20]
I've tried Chiseled Face, Taylor's, Razorock, Arko, and Barrister & Mann. Honestly for some reason I keep coming back to Stirling. It face lathers really easily with my water, and gives me a comfortable, close, slick shave. I use barbasol when I'm in a hurry but it just doesn't have much slickness. If I used Proraso pre-shave oil it would probably add some smoothness to the barbasol.

I've been using Stirling Ozark Mountain shave soap and aftershave lately and have gotten compliments about smelling nice at work. It's a cedar/woodsy smell.

One of my buddies got Midnight Stag by Chiseled Face and had to stop using it, he said the scent reminded him of when his house burned down.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I got some RazoRock XXX special edition in the glass jar and it is awesome shaving soap.  It has a super thick lather and smells great.  It has a 8.5 ounces in the jar so you get a good amount of soap.  Its a great deal when its on sale, think it was $9.99.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Lucky Franc's Sandalwood Shaving Soap
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#23]
I really liked Tabac.  Great close, comfortable shave, and pleasant scent.

For a really comfortable, close shave, I would use pre-shave oil.  It is really expensive though unless you make your own.  To make your own, you can use grapeseed oil as a base, and add any fragrance oils you like from the hippy fragrance stores.  Small amounts of sandalwood, eucalyptus, and bay rum mixed with the grapeseed oil smells good, but really helps get a close, comfortable shave with no post shave irritation or shaving bumps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#24]
From the list, B&M.
I'm also a real fan of Noble Otter and Southern Witchcraft.

Specifically, I like the unscented SW, though I'm not unhappy with their other stuff. I'm not much of a smell guy for my soap.

I'm not sure I could pick a favorite, but I just ordered Incorporeal as a restock rather than one of the others. If I could have gotten Noble Otter Bare I might have gone with that instead. B&M doesn't make an unscented that I'm aware of.

I've yet to try a good chunk of that list, but I'll get to them. Stirling has an unscented I'm interested in as well, but since I splurged on some shaving hardware I didn't wanna keep adding stuff to the software cart.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Pinaud Clubman shave soap is excellent. It’s cheap ($6.99 on Amazon), smells nice but not the iconic clubman barbershop scent sadly, and provides a slick shave. I apply with a brush and face lather. Hands down my favorite I’ve tried to date.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GSDAK47:
Pinaud Clubman shave soap is excellent. It’s cheap ($6.99 on Amazon), smells nice but not the iconic clubman barbershop scent sadly, and provides a slick shave. I apply with a brush and face lather. Hands down my favorite I’ve tried to date.
View Quote

I use their classic cheap splash, not for everyone but I love it. I did not love their soap, felt it required more work to get good slick foam and same as you I thought I'd be getting that classic smell.

I still have some, think I'll give it another try b/c of this post.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Just wore my Arko stick down to a nub, but it's ok.  I have more.  Lots and lots more.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Burt's Bees Bay Rum shave soap.
I do not even think it is made anymore.
I bout several cakes of it 20 years ago or so....I believe I still have 3 left in the box and 1 in my mug.

I love the scent.
I wish I could still get the Burt's Bees Bay Rum aftershave balm.  I am almost out of that and have not seen it listed anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CowboyGunner:
Burt's Bees Bay Rum shave soap.
I do not even think it is made anymore.
I bout several cakes of it 20 years ago or so....I believe I still have 3 left in the box and 1 in my mug.

I love the scent.
I wish I could still get the Burt's Bees Bay Rum aftershave balm.  I am almost out of that and have not seen it listed anywhere.
View Quote

I know exactly what you're talking about.  Soap would barely make make a bubble but it and the aftershave balm smelled AWESOME.  Probably been a few decades since they made that I'd think.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top