Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
This is a sweet watch....

So I've wanted a B-Uhr for sometime now...I looked at the various available, and decided I wanted a Laco, as they were one of the original makers for the Luftwaffe, and since I had some extra scratch, but not a lot of extra scratch, I thought I would pull the trigger on their base model, the Aachen.

It is a 42mm case, powered by a modified (exactly how modified I don't know) Miyota 8215. Very nice looking watch, so I treated myself. Bought it new from a dealer on eBay...waited for it to arrive, and so it did...

Opened the box, and really loved what I saw, carefully looked at everything, peeled the plastic off, front and back, wound her, and put her on.

Really loved the look and feel. Very nice leather band, very well built and finished, solid feeling.

Then when sitting out on the porch with my wife ans our son swam in the pool, I happened to glance at it, and noticed the second hand behaving very oddly. On the 0 to 30 side of the dial, it would stop and start, jump ahead, sometimes run smooth with no tick tick tick movement, stop, then jump ahead. I freaked out, this isn't right. Took it off, and played with it for a bit...it definitely was not right...

Immediately sent a note to the seller, figuring I would have to send it back and wait for a new one, or worse have to send it to Germany and wait for it to be fixed or replaced. To my surprise, he said, no problem, I'll send you a new one tomorrow, Priority, and will include a pre-paid addressed mailer to send the bad one back...now, in my book that's customer service...

Anyway, got the replacement last Saturday, took it out of the package, and immediately checked it out. While waiting I did some research, and learned all about the "Miyota Stutter", found out it can be a normal issue with movements that have indirect second hand drives. Even high end Swiss movements can have the issue, before many of them changed to direct drive second hands...

So, the first thing I see, I hold it vertically, and boom, a very mild case of stutter between the 5 and 25 markers...but very mild, and since I found out that it is a common issue with Miyota movements, and is purely cosmetic, in that it doesn't effect the timekeeping at all, I figured I can live with a little. Its not noticeable unless the watch is in a vertical position. It is caused by normal backlash in the gearing...they (should) have a flat spring which puts some friction on the second hand pinion which should eliminate it...but if there isn't enough tesion on it, or if its over-lubricated, you will see the stutter...

In any case, other than that issue, its a great watch. Solidly built, very good fit and finish. Nice exhibition back, and as said, very nice quality leather strap. Keeps very good time. I really like it. And will wear it often.

However, I have some more extra scratch coming in, and I really want one with a Swiss movement now. Laco has their "Friedrichshafen" Model, which is even closer to original WWII issue, with the Fl. number engraved on the side, fire blued hands, and of course a Swiss 8224 movement...but a big jump in price to just under $1k....

I think I am going to go with a Steinhart 47mm (the originals were 55mm, meant to wear over a flight suit...). They have a "Vintage" titanium cased model, which is nicely bead blasted dull grey, with blued hands, sterile face, the Fl. number engraved, or the standard which has a brushed stainless case like the Aachen...I like the vintage case (I would get a new Rios strap for it, as I don't care for the vintage looking strap), but am wary of it being very light due to the titanium, I like a hefty watch, hell, I would love if they made it in a tungsten carbide case!

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Aachen for anyone who wants a B-Uhr on a relative budget, by an original maker...keeping in mind the possibility of the Miyota stutter....

Hope you like the pics...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking watch, and definitely a good story about the seller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top