Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 4:17:21 PM EDT
Since I'm getting my blue card from the Air Force this year I want to finally buy one nice piece and I have a few questions for you folks. This may get more traction in the GD but the debauchery there is.... well we know.

I live in a small town and the nearest Dealer is over an hour away is part of my angst.

I have looked at Bobs and Crown and Caliber and both seem like a better option than buying retail, with that being said I have not been in the  local store yet.

I realize the watch will need service unless I buy vintage, is the service roughly every 2 years if I wear it gently twice a week?

Would I get better support (and possibly a discount on service) if I buy new from the local shop?

I guess I'm weighing the pros of paying retail and if anything happens support is right down the road vs getting a "deal" and the local guy killing me on service costs.

I think I'm set on a GMT 116710 (Batman) or an older "Pepsi" for reference.

Thanks all, Sam

ETA: just saw its post 556. I'd have been murdered in the GD for this post.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
DavidSW is a good vendor.

In my research I've read 5-15 year periods are recommended. But...since I don't own one I can't fully suggest.

@baldmonk is the resident watchmaker he might be able to opine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Before buying, browse for accurate info here:  https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php

If you buy from a jewelry store, make sure they are an authorized Rolex dealer (ARD). Also only have it serviced or sent off for service at/from an ARD. (other jewelers will tell you they can work on it but, they might not use authentic Rolex parts, or be trained by Rolex. Only ARD's can buy authentic Rolex parts and  any addition or substitution of parts with those not manufactured by Rolex, as well as any modification made to your Rolex by a third party not authorized by Rolex, cancels the guarantee and limits the servicing of your watch).

They now recommend only getting it serviced about every 5 years or unless there is something very obviously wrong with it. If you only wear yours like you described, you could go as long as 10 years between servicing.

Here's pics of my Rolexes.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I should have added that they are an ARD, thank you for the link to the forum I should have guessed such as that would be out there.

Beautiful pieces sir, I'm off to do MORE research.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pick up the phone and call davidsw tomorrow......Davidsw rolex
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
DavidSW or go to the Rolexforums and buy from a trusted seller on there. Great deals to be had. Buy the seller.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I get mine serviced only when needed....which is very rare.  That being said, I won't scuba dive even with my sub unless it was serviced recently as O rings do dry out.  I do swim with all of them though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I wouldn't have it serviced unless you were having a problem.  I would say once every 10 years to get the rubber seals changed.   I've had Submariner for 15 years had it serviced once.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for DavidSW.  Great and trusted seller and very easy to work with.

I really don't even think about a service until 5 years have passed, unless of course the watch obviously needs something; i.e. not keeping good time, crown/bezel/case/bracelet needs repair, etc.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it everyday you wear it.  I do suggest you wear it as often as possible!

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The service guy I use (authorized by Rolex but an independent shop) recommends every ten years for the no-date models and every 6-8 years for those with the date complication.  I'm merely passing along what I've been told.  

My habit has been about once per decade.  I've had my 5513 since '83....and it's still happily ticking along on my wrist.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm actually selling my oyster perpetual date just with a gray face, stainless band and a custom 2 ctw custom flawless diamond bezel. That being said, I'm getting rid of it because I really prefer my movado's and other watches more. I hate having to keep it on a winder when I'm not going to wear it for a few days. Good luck on your hunt for your new time piece and beware all the frauds and fakes. Bobs watches and Ermitage Jewelers have done right by me in the past
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to the caribbean. I bought my GMT Master II at A.H. Riis in St. thomas. They are a huge rolex dealer. High volume, great prices. Compared to an authorized rolex dealer in Atlanta I saved enough money to pay for the cruise and then saved the sales tax to boot. Probably saved $2k.

Edited to add:  if youre interested in used watches Check out Demesy.com they are in Dallas I think. I bought my wife a lady datejust with box and papers that was in perfect condition for an exceptional price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all the input. I recently visited my local Retail Dealer and I have never received a worse customer experience in my life. I sold myself on the idea of paying more would benefit me by having local support should I need it. Well, I narrowed my choices to 3, they had 2 of the 3 and the salesman wouldn't let me compare them side to side claiming they couldn't have more than one watch out at a time. I didn't ask stupid noob questions but I had a couple questions but I think I was keeping him from Facebook or fantasy football, after 35 minutes I left and apologized for inconveniencing him (to which he said "no problem").

So here I go, preparing to make my second most favorite purchase online instead of in person.

Thanks for all the input and I will certainly be in contact with the ARF member you recommended as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a 116613LB from AU_911tt whom I found over on the rolex forums.  He has a stellar, flawless transaction reputation.  The whole process from start to finish was absolutely flawless and drama free.  He's most certainly one of the well trusted and regarded sellers.  I'll be buying another from him here shortly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought a 116613LB from AU_911tt whom I found over on the rolex forums.  He has a stellar, flawless transaction reputation.  The whole process from start to finish was absolutely flawless and drama free.  He's most certainly one of the well trusted and regarded sellers.  I'll be buying another from him here shortly.
View Quote
Chase is local to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I just sold my Submariner to Bob's. No nonsense transaction, no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for all the input. I recently visited my local Retail Dealer and I have never received a worse customer experience in my life. I sold myself on the idea of paying more would benefit me by having local support should I need it. Well, I narrowed my choices to 3, they had 2 of the 3 and the salesman wouldn't let me compare them side to side claiming they couldn't have more than one watch out at a time. I didn't ask stupid noob questions but I had a couple questions but I think I was keeping him from Facebook or fantasy football, after 35 minutes I left and apologized for inconveniencing him (to which he said "no problem").

So here I go, preparing to make my second most favorite purchase online instead of in person.

Thanks for all the input and I will certainly be in contact with the ARF member you recommended as well.
View Quote
That sucks! I went into a Rolex shop on Oahu recently, and the first thing the salesman said after sizing me up was, "These watches don't need batteries."  I then stumped him with questions like, "How many beats per hour does this calibre have," and "Do you have a loupe so I can inspect the engraving on the rehaut."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top