Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 1:15:33 AM EDT
I inherited my grandfather's pocket watch and don't know much about it. I don't know much about any watches actually. I have a few and wear exactly none. This one is something I might actually carry on occasion.

I can read "Keystone watch case", "25 YEARS EXC", "JBOSS" and "7642035" on the inside of the back. Also on the inside of the back has really small hand written numbers. The movement says "The Commodore" I assume that is the model of the watch. I think the serial number is 1414199.

It works and seems to keep good time. However, I can't seem to set the time. The knob pulls out but in either position it just winds the watch. I can't adjust the time. Am I doing it wrong?

How much should I wind it?

There is a piece of pocket lint or something catching a ride on the minute hand. I can't imagine the extra weight is good on the movement. Does anyone know a good place to have it cleaned. I don't know I would trust it with just the neighborhood watch guy.

Any information would be great. Thank you.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Just do a search of the Illinois watch company and that model. The front crystal should be able to be removed by simply grasping the edges and un screwing it. Then you can blow the piece of lint out. Take can when putting it back on as it had very very fine threads and is easy to cross thread.

As a side note that watch was made in my home town.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize that Illinois was the brand. 

According to the internetz, it was made in 1900.  That's an old watch.

I found a local watch guy that has been in business for 46 years. I'm going to take it down there and see what he says.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A good watch, worth servicing and carrying, to honor your grandfather every time you look at it.

ETA: Don't be shocked at the cost of servicing it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Knowing the age, grandpa must have gotten it second hand. I wonder if it was used or if it was handed down. Too bad I can't ask him. 
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knowing the age, grandpa must have gotten it second hand. I wonder if it was used or if it was handed down. Too bad I can't ask him. 
View Quote
What year was grandpa born?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What year was grandpa born?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I inherited my grandfather's pocket watch and don't know much about it. I don't know much about any watches actually. I have a few and wear exactly none. This one is something I might actually carry on occasion.

I can read "Keystone watch case", "25 YEARS EXC", "JBOSS" and "7642035" on the inside of the back. Also on the inside of the back has really small hand written numbers. The movement says "The Commodore" I assume that is the model of the watch. I think the serial number is 1414199.

It works and seems to keep good time. However, I can't seem to set the time. The knob pulls out but in either position it just winds the watch. I can't adjust the time. Am I doing it wrong?

How much should I wind it?

There is a piece of pocket lint or something catching a ride on the minute hand. I can't imagine the extra weight is good on the movement. Does anyone know a good place to have it cleaned. I don't know I would trust it with just the neighborhood watch guy.

Any information would be great. Thank you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG-20170729-212012072-266402.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG-20170729-212037553-266406.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG-20170729-212444505-266408.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG-20170729-212417360-266413.JPG
View Quote

I have my grandfather's railroad pocket watch and it has a "lever set" movement.  In order to set the watch, I have to remove the crystal and move a small "lever".  The railroads required that feature on the RR certified watches so that the time couldn't be accidentally changed by the user.

GOOGLE lever set RR watches or movements and ask your watch maker about lever set movements when you take the watch to him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a decent quality 17 jewel railroad watch. Find an old watchmaker that knows what he's doing to clean and adjust it. Might cost $200 give or take.
Don't run it much dry, it's not really good for it.

To adjust the time, you must carefully screw off the FRONT cover. Up near the 2:00 position (or maybe 5:00 since your movement is mounted 90 degrees in the case), you will see a very tiny lever you can gently pull outward.
(You may need a magnifier if your near vision is not so good...)

Pull it out and then you can use the stem to set the time. pop it back in and very carefully align and screw the front back on.

Oh, the cryptic stuff scribbled on the inside back cover are when it was serviced. This was common practice at the time.

This database say it was made in 1898, but not RR grade. It's still a still pretty good movement though as it's adjusted for position.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/illinois/1414199
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I had the back off a few times. I never realized the front unscrewed. I blew out the lint and set it. I am going to swing by a watch store today and look into having it serviced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top