Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2017 11:57:24 PM EDT
I've decided to sell my grandpa's Rolex. He spent his entire life fixing Rolex's but now he's gone and I don't know if I'm getting seriously low balled.

It's an old 70s datejust (1601) with scratches. I have no boxes or papers.

I talked to Bob's and they first offered me 400 bucks. Obviously, I said no and they offered me 800. Obviously, I said no and now they are offering 1 grand.

This thing does need a service:

new crystal
overhaul
missing links

but 1 grand just doesn't sound right.

Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Go get an appraisal by someone who knows Rolex watches, should be worth quite a bit more than offers you have received
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
used undocumented Rolex have very little value at wholesale. $800 was very generous, $1,000 is nuts. Remember, shops are looking for 300% mark up and an old Datejust is worth about $1,500 retail with docs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Checkout comps here & see what similar watches are listed for

Click Here
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go get an appraisal by someone who knows Rolex watches, should be worth quite a bit more than offers you have received
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I probably should. I really shouldn't rush this. But I have no connections to anyone with knowledge who could get me an appraisal..

Quoted:
Checkout comps here & see what similar watches are listed for

Click Here
Oh cool thanks

Quoted:

Thats good advice....   also, consider having it serviced at your local rolex dealer (they actually mail them off, but you can talk to them about it).... it may be expensive, but it will be done right and will add to the resale value/provenance.  

Finally, think about putting it on Chrono24.com.  If you have the authentication and service from rolex, you should be able to get top dollar for it there. 

Good luck.  
thanks man
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The Datejust is about the least desirable Rolex made.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats good advice....   also, consider having it serviced at your local rolex dealer (they actually mail them off, but you can talk to them about it).... it may be expensive, but it will be done right and will add to the resale value/provenance.  

Finally, think about putting it on Chrono24.com.  If you have the authentication and service from rolex, you should be able to get top dollar for it there. 

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#7]
No authentication, in need of a service and that bracelet looks like it's sized pretty small (those missing links cost around $100 each) are hurting you.
In that condition you're better off selling cheap (that $1000 offer is decent) as is or dumping some cash into it and just keeping it.
After a service and a new bracelet you're looking at $1800 in expenses to get it looking new and authenticated by the Rolex Service Center (maybe $1200 by a good independent).
I don't think you'll be able to sell it for more than $2500 even after a overhaul.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No authentication, in need of a service and that bracelet looks like it's sized pretty small (those missing links cost around $100 each) are hurting you.
In that condition you're better off selling cheap (that $1000 offer is decent) as is or dumping some cash into it and just keeping it.
After a service and a new bracelet you're looking at $1800 in expenses to get it looking new and authenticated by the Rolex Service Center (maybe $1200 by a good independent).
I don't think you'll be able to sell it for more than $2500 even after a overhaul.
View Quote
I'm not really planning on getting it serviced just to sell it back for more. I know that's gonna be a loss for me.

The story I haven't shared is, I talked to Ermitage before Bob's and he IMMEDIATELY offered me 1k as opposed to low balling.

So I will probably end up sending it back to him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#10]
1K offer, better take it.. Rolex Service Center starting at $500 for your watch to be serviced.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you are hard pressed for cash, or did not get along with your grandfather, I'd say keep it. They are not that valuable, but are something you can wear for many years and then pass on to your kids. Especially if he was into watches they meant something to him.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out the Rolex forums. Some of those guys know a lot about rolexes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I would pay any amount of money for my grandpa's Omega. It vanished, and I won't get that chance. I say keep it and get it fixed yourself. Yeah the service won't be cheap, but you're into a Rolex with a good family story for a lot less than you could be otherwise. Seems like one of those things you'd regret later if you sold...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I admit I don't know much about your situation, but I'd think long and hard before selling something like that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would pay any amount of money for my grandpa's Omega. It vanished, and I won't get that chance. I say keep it and get it fixed yourself. Yeah the service won't be cheap, but you're into a Rolex with a good family story for a lot less than you could be otherwise. Seems like one of those things you'd regret later if you sold...
View Quote
Wow, thanks all for so many feedbacks, these definitely made me think. Once again, I realize that arfcom is full of good people.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't sell pops watch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to be a party pooper, but shouldn't that watch have a heavily embossed or deeply engraved screw-on back?

Maybe I'm just ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not to be a party pooper, but shouldn't that watch have a heavily embossed or deeply engraved screw-on back?

Maybe I'm just ignorant.
View Quote
Nope--plain jane is how it's supposed to look
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nope--plain jane is how it's supposed to look
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, IM sent to you OP
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't sell pops watch.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This
View Quote
I think I might let it go for very slightly above 1grand. If not, I'll just keep it forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top