Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 5:32:25 PM EDT
I have a business trip to Fort Lauderdale next week, and I have a cousin who lives in Boca so I decided to stay for a weekend. I'm curious how the diving is in that area. I may lug my dive gear with me for a morning dive or two on Saturday 8 July if there's decent diving. What says the SCUBA Hive?

(Background: I'm an experienced diver with a few hundred open water dives. Mostly dives in Cozumel, Bonaire, Costa Rica, and Roatan. I have all my own equipment (sans tanks) and I'd rather lug my own gear with me than use rental gear)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring your gear.
I have not been out of Boca, but WPB and Jupiter.  Anywhere from Jupiter on South is good diving.  Temps are in the low 80's.  Visibility hasn't been the best, but it changes quick.
Plenty of diving in FLL too.  If you do WPB or Jupiter, it is drift diving and tends to run 80'-90'.  Nitrox is ideal.
LMK if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any dive operator recommendations close to FLL?

And i should add that I am Nitrox certified, so that should work well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have any dive operator recommendations close to FLL?

And i should add that I am Nitrox certified, so that should work well.
View Quote
I use South Florida diving headquarters pretty much exclusively. There's a bunch more but I like their crews. You can reserve a spot on the website.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I use South Florida diving headquarters pretty much exclusively. There's a bunch more but I like their crews. You can reserve a spot on the website.
View Quote
Are there particular dive sites that you would recommend over others in that area?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
In FLL you will be limited by diving one day.
Go their website and see what they have scheduled for that day.   Even so, its not a guarantee you will hit that site.
But.....tbere are plenty of wrecks down tbeir (artificial) to hit, all worthwhile.
Typical plan is wreck 70'ish then 2nd dive on reef 30-50.
You wont need nitrox on these profiles.

Im sure Tailhunter will chime in...this is his ao
Have fun
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are there particular dive sites that you would recommend over others in that area?
View Quote
It depends what's in the schedule for each of the three boats. One will likely be Copenhagen and nursery. I usually bring a bunch of divers with me and we book out the small boat. That way it's ours to determine which sites we hit. I would book any of the reef/reef wreck/reef sites. Our water is beautiful and warm. I've seen some of the biggest grouper, turtles, morays, and lobsters on the nursery in 20ft of water. Hammerheads in 70ft. Reef sharks like to follow divers looking for speared lionfish. Heck, is be happy just blowing bubbles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There is plenty of shore diving in that area; Lauderdale By The Sea is great beach diving.

The Blue Heron Bridge is a Mecca for divers from all over the world.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
It depends what's in the schedule for each of the three boats. One will likely be Copenhagen and nursery. I usually bring a bunch of divers with me and we book out the small boat. That way it's ours to determine which sites we hit. I would book any of the reef/reef wreck/reef sites. Our water is beautiful and warm. I've seen some of the biggest grouper, turtles, morays, and lobsters on the nursery in 20ft of water. Hammerheads in 70ft. Reef sharks like to follow divers looking for speared lionfish. Heck, is be happy just blowing bubbles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I called South Florida Diving and booked on the reef/reef boat, heading to Abbey Too next Saturday, 8 July.
I bring all my own gear (except tanks). Having never been diving in that part of Florida, what thickness wetsuit would you recommend I bring? Typically in Cozumel/Roatan/Bonaire I most usually dive in my 3/2mm.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Water was 86 yesterday in WPB
Definitely board shorts and tee diving
Bring your 3/2 JIC or if you get cold easy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
86!?!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
86!?!
View Quote
Yeah I was going to say 1mil or rash guard for jellies
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I was going to say 1mil or rash guard for jellies
View Quote
I don't even own a 1mil or rash guard.  I guess now is a good time to start.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a follow up to this, for anyone interested. I dove Saturday morning and afternoon with South Florida Diving HQ. I went out with Dave and Nicole in the AM - they were great. The dives were simply ok, compared to the places in the Caribbean I usually take trips to. However,  it was nice to just get my fins wet. I also signed up for the afternoon dive - which I later found out was  two dives instead of one.  Thus, on my 4th dive I kept bouncing off of my deco limits, as i chose Air instead of Nitrox all day. My Air integrated computer said i was barely out of deco limits, while my stand alone Mares computer started freaking out telling my I was in deco. I chose to be conservative and follow the Mares computer on its profile.

But anyway, I enjoyed the diving. There's a great diving scene in that part of Florida and great commoradery. The water temperature was an awesome 84 degrees. I would definitely do it again if I manage to go back to FLL for business.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I probably passed right by you. I was on the afternoon boat with the wife and daughter doing a snorkel trip.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I probably passed right by you. I was on the afternoon boat with the wife and daughter doing a snorkel trip.
View Quote
Ha. Yeah, I was sitting on the Black Pearl for the afternoon trip out while everyone was loading onto the boat next to us for SCUBA and snorkeling.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Odds really are that we have done some dives together. I use those guys 90% of the time with PDC being the other 10%. Does your vehicle have a BFL on it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Odds really are that we have done some dives together. I use those guys 90% of the time with PDC being the other 10%. Does your vehicle have a BFL on it?
View Quote
It does, does yours? I'll keep an eye out next time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It does, does yours? I'll keep an eye out next time.
View Quote
Most of them do. I know I have seen your truck in the parking lot before. I am trying to find a dive there for Saturday but they dont have anything on the schedule that excites me. The Lady Luck trip is already full sadly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I got blown off Lady Luck, they wouldn't even let us in the water.  Had a hell of a drift dive on some reef instead.  Was pretty cool but I'm coming back for the wrecks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got blown off Lady Luck, they wouldn't even let us in the water.  Had a hell of a drift dive on some reef instead.  Was pretty cool but I'm coming back for the wrecks!
View Quote
Post up when you are heading back and if its on a weekend I'll make the drive over and do some dives with you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just a follow up to this, for anyone interested. I dove Saturday morning and afternoon with South Florida Diving HQ. I went out with Dave and Nicole in the AM - they were great. The dives were simply ok, compared to the places in the Caribbean I usually take trips to. However,  it was nice to just get my fins wet. I also signed up for the afternoon dive - which I later found out was  two dives instead of one.  Thus, on my 4th dive I kept bouncing off of my deco limits, as i chose Air instead of Nitrox all day. My Air integrated computer said i was barely out of deco limits, while my stand alone Mares computer started freaking out telling my I was in deco. I chose to be conservative and follow the Mares computer on its profile.

But anyway, I enjoyed the diving. There's a great diving scene in that part of Florida and great commoradery. The water temperature was an awesome 84 degrees. I would definitely do it again if I manage to go back to FLL for business.
View Quote
Glad you had a good time
What type of obligation the Mares give you?
What model do you have?

Thats a quick way to get on the dis-invited list
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Heading out with SFDH this Sunday afternoon to dive the Lady Luck if anyone wants to get wet. A couple of us will be on rebreathers but we will have one bubble blower with our group so all are welcome.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heading out with SFDH this Sunday afternoon to dive the Lady Luck if anyone wants to get wet. A couple of us will be on rebreathers but we will have one bubble blower with our group so all are welcome.
View Quote
I'm going to be putting together a snorkeling trip again but with my students and friends kids. I wanted to gauge my daughter's reaction first before doing it. She had such a great time that I want my friends and student's kids to have the same fun we did last weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thats a quick way to get on the dis-invited list
View Quote
Disinvited? Why?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Disinvited? Why?
View Quote
Hitting deco on your 'puter is a "no-no"
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hitting deco on your 'puter is a "no-no"
View Quote
He was carrying two computers and followed his more conservative one. Had he not had it there would have been no problem, but because he was a diving with  a backup we want to chastise him for going into deco on the backup computer. I just don't follow that train of thought.

Going into deco without the proper training is careless. Given that his primary didn't have him with a deco opbigation I don't feel the huge violation. The fact he chose to dive air instead of nitrox I think was a little careless but to each his own.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't bring it up to chastise......just pointing out what happens or can happen.
My questions didn't get answered by op, but I bet it either cleared on ascent or the obligation was minimal.   I would also bet he didn't disclose that to crew. I wouldn't.  Learn from it and dive on.  Also, use either same computer for backup or a more liberal unit as bu unit.
I have seen plenty of divers getting chewed for stuff that shouldn't happen.   Even had one op haul 2 people back to shore during SI.   They were "dis-invited" to quote the cpt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He was carrying two computers and followed his more conservative one. Had he not had it there would have been no problem, but because he was a diving with  a backup we want to chastise him for going into deco on the backup computer. I just don't follow that train of thought.

Going into deco without the proper training is careless. Given that his primary didn't have him with a deco opbigation I don't feel the huge violation. The fact he chose to dive air instead of nitrox I think was a little careless but to each his own.
View Quote
I'm not chastising anyone.  I've bounced around deco several times when the boat drops you in 80 instead of 40 ft. I also dive multiple computers for safety. I simply stated an answer to his question. Which is also why I put no-no in quotes.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top