Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 6:04:11 PM EDT
Whether financially embarrassed to fund a boat dive, don't have time for 2 dives, or blown out weather wise or all of the above, I go to a popular local spot in Riviera Beach, Blue Heron Bridge.
Some days I'm "mang, don't really want to go there again".  But I do, and it delivers and am thankful for having gone and that it is available.
I am a Moray nut, always looking for them and try to coax them out. Plenty of juveniles there, amongst other species.  Most of time is spent under the East bridge.
Crappy vid of my dive there Friday.  I went again today: vis about 8'.  Likely that again tomorrow with seas predicted.
12/02/16 Blue Heron Bridge, East side

Fixed link

What's your go-to spot?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It was Orange Grove Sink in Peacock Springs State Park, back when I was actively making bubbles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was Orange Grove Sink in Peacock Springs State Park, back when I was actively making bubbles.
View Quote

I will be there tomorrow. We dove Madison Blue today; made it to the Godzilla room and Martz sink on dive number 2.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm on the way out the door to dive Cliff on Bonaire for the 4th or 5th time. Kind of a "go to" at this point.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a good one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I will be there tomorrow. We dove Madison Blue today; made it to the Godzilla room and Martz sink on dive number 2.  
View Quote

I'll be there tues if my buddy can make it. Or devil's if im alone
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll be there tues if my buddy can make it. Or devil's if im alone
View Quote

Was just at peacock today. The vis was in the 75 foot range.

I just finished NAUI Cave 1, if you don't mind a guy who can dive to 1/3rds, make 2 navigation decisions( 2 jumps, 2 T's, or some combination), and must stick to the NDL's, and dive do deeper than 100ft look me up for a dive.  

Peace
Jerry
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My "go to" spot is Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL.

Link

I'm told viz is much better in the spring before the algae blooms once the weather really heats up. Green water, lots of particulate (like swimming into a sandstorm in green jello), but it's "home," plus it's about 1:30 drive from me, which is much better than a number of other regional quarries. Cheap, too - $20/day. And unlike, Gilboa in Ohio (5 hours from me, with better viz), there is a "beach" entry, which is much easier on my knees (the old road bed for trucks into the quarry). I've dove in viz from arm's length to maybe 30 ft at the most. Looking forward to getting in the water when they reopen in April.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was stationed at Ft Lewis, WA, my go-to spot was Sund Rock in Hood Canal.

Tried to leave ~1000 psi in one of my tanks so I could grab a bunch of Dungies at the Potlach boat ramp/grass beds.

If we were in the mood for some post-dive beers, then Les Davis in Tacoma was our go-to.  Had an encounter with a sixgill on my last dive there.  Dove within 30' of grey whales that sometimes cruise the harbor.

I spent way too much time making these images.

Also, ETA: I can't recall ever using a dive flag at either Sund Rock or Les Davis.  Swim down/up the slope in both cases, and you're fine.

At the boat ramp, definitely use a flag.  Most of the Dungies are in water shallower than 15', so you're going to want some warning for boaters.  (However, most of the boaters will probably have no idea what it is, and will most likely try to steal it. )
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
^good stuff.

I was certified up in Seattle in the early 80's.  First dive post-cert was solo and off of our boat  I haven't been back since '87 or so.
I have fond memories of it though.   I started wet with a steel LP72 and Voit Swimaster.  I got a deal on a neoprene Imperial Dry Suit not too long after being certified and thought I was the shitz [bright orange mind you].
A lot of dives at Alkai, Edmonds, shipyard where my dad worked [made $ picking up stuff and hooking cables to lost equipment], and random dives off our gill-netter - "flasher reads 40' and seems flat - I'll drop here"

I'm off to my spot tomorrow afternoon.  
I will try for a boat dive Monday.....

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing your video, it is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, did my last dive of the year here today.
Vis was about 12', terrible compared to yesterday at 40' or so.
Did not disappoint; greeted by an Eagle Ray upon decent.  Also, first time seeing a moray actually kill something.  I have seen them being hand fed, but never in action.  I have even been closely followed by one wanting his conch back.
I rolled up to piece of a boat that is a cleaning station that I visit.  I roll up slow along side it until I reach the end like I usually do and poke my head around the corner about 2' from from the spa.  As soon as I did that, a large green moray struck from within grabbing a surgeon fish and retreated back in his lair.  A couple of his buddies stuck around looking for young jimmy, and were like, wtf just happened?..
Just counted my dives here this year; 30
We'll see what 2017 brings.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Managed to get some drift dives in while I had the spare cash.
4/2 with Narcosis of WPB.  Did Flower Gardens and Breakers reef (60'-ish).  Visibility not the best, about 30',  Was hoping to do the Ana Celia, but no go. On safety stop on first dive had a Bull just underneath me for a bit.  A Remora must have flung off him and came up to me trying to attach.  It gave up after a couple of attempts and swam back to the depths.
4/9 with Jupiter Dive Center.   Almost top to bottom visibility at 80'.  Did Area 51 (95') and Tunnels (75').  Area 51 is an amazing site, beautiful reef with lots of Reef sharks, one Lemmon and a Loggerhead seen. There were a couple of hunters on board that wandered back into the non-hunter group.  One hunter gave up deterring a Reefie and feed it in front of me.  Nice.  They really rolled in then.

A little short on cash this weekend, so squeezed a  morning dive at BHB and as usual, not disappointed.  
Met up with the Eagle Rays early in the dive, found the juvenile Morays that chill under the East bridge and found two Octopus that were apparently on a date.  When the dude got to second base,  I felt a little like a creeper, so I left.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I would have to say for me it is the Lady Luck in Pompano. I dove it right after she was but on the bottom last year and have been diving her ever since. I have done multiple dives there and I feel very comfortable there. There isn't a piece of that ship I haven't seen at least twice. Its a great dive for those looking to max out their depth and NDLs on AOW or new divers to the AN/DP side of the house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Squeezed in another one this morning.  More of a sea trial for a recently acquired DA Aqua-master.
Will need to replace the diaphragm though; a little of a wet breather.  115 min dive.  Air to spare for next time.
Short video of dive with octos and some serious cammo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have to say for me it is the Lady Luck in Pompano. I dove it right after she was but on the bottom last year and have been diving her ever since. I have done multiple dives there and I feel very comfortable there. There isn't a piece of that ship I haven't seen at least twice. Its a great dive for those looking to max out their depth and NDLs on AOW or new divers to the AN/DP side of the house.

I got blown out on my trip.  Looking to return sometime soon.

My go to dive (not local) is the Spiegel Grove in KL.  Around here I guess I'd say Clear Springs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got blown out on my trip.  Looking to return sometime soon.

My go to dive (not local) is the Spiegel Grove in KL.  Around here I guess I'd say Clear Springs.
View Quote
Love the Speigel. Dove it on its side and upright. Need to go do that one a few more times
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My go to dive is the local quarry. 10-15 ft viz today, and 52-54 degrees on the shallow side. Winter was so warm it didn't kill off the algae as it usually does and it is everywhere. Came out with it stuck to my drysuit in various places. Buddy pulled a bunch off my hoses underwater.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Love the Speigel. Dove it on its side and upright. Need to go do that one a few more times
View Quote
I got the chance to dive it both ways too.  What an experience!
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top