Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that Marie.  As you know, that's a long time in today's world.
My employer is stalling, meanwhile I am not working.

Managed to do a bit of blockade running Thursday and got 2 dives in fabulous conditions.  Thought for sure we were going to get stopped while waiting for a bridge to open as cops were out and about.  We hid under the canopy.

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bap:

Sorry to hear that Marie.  As you know, that's a long time in today's world.
My employer is stalling, meanwhile I am not working.

Managed to do a bit of blockade running Thursday and got 2 dives in fabulous conditions.  Thought for sure we were going to get stopped while waiting for a bridge to open as cops were out and about.  We hid under the canopy.

Good times.
View Quote

I've got a planned trip to dive off Michigan's Thumb Memorial Day weekend. Dives were paid for with credits on my account from getting blown out last season. Motel is a cheap $45 a night (3 nights).  I'm planning on going, come hell or high water, as long as the boat is running.

Not sure what is going to happen with class. I'm losing a lot of in water practice time (outside of class). We were planning on a day at the quarry at the beginning of April, and talking about tentatively schedule the first full weekend of class at the quarry for the end of May. Everything is going to get pushed back at least a month. Stupid plague.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I may have a place to go diving. Friend has access to a small lake off a coworker’s dock. Supposed to be clear, some old stuff on the bottom, deepest bit is 80ft, but lots to see in the shallows. My shop is doing stuff by appt, just checking to see if I can get fills.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Just found out TDI has changed the Helitrox standards. Max helium was 20%. It’s now 35%. Depth limit is still 150ft.
View Quote

Oooooh.... squeaky voice gas
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Michigan's gov has banned all motor boating. You can kayak, canoe, or sail, but no motorboats at all. Through the end of April. At first it was charters, now all private boats. I know several people with their own little dive boats who were waiting to get in the water as soon as they could.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds pretty stupid.

Here private and commercial fishing boats only.  But, boat ramps are closed.
Unless, you have a commercial fishing license.
I know a lot of people getting the basic commercial license just so they can get out.
$50  boat 'pass'.

Order is til the 30th.  Hopefully running starting the 1st of May.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I should be diving the middle of next month.

Instructor and I are going up to Wazee Lake in WI. It's still open.

Link
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Off to White Star in Ohio next weekend.

Prickster (IL gov) extended stay at home order to 5/30. So our local quarry won't be opening until at least 6/1.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My Memorial Day trip to dive off Michigan’s Thumb has been cancelled by charter boat. I was expecting that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Had total 4 great dives Friday and yesterday. Water temp was 46-48. Quarry had 35-40ft viz. Really nice facility.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Spending the weekend up at Wazee Lake in WI. Skills weekend for tech class. 2 SM students and 1 other doubles guy (besides me).
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Dives this past weekend were tough. I have my list of things to work on. So does everyone else. Everyone has to practice before they can move on.

Back up there this weekend. Skills practice for me and a friend has new gear to get used to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Ended at an Ohio quarry this past weekend, better weather forecast than WI. Got some good feedback from a MI friend who came down to dive with us. Worked on some of the stuff for class.

Local dive season is FINALLY starting up. Our quarry is opening up next Monday. I'll be diving opening day, then Saturday with another friend who needs help getting reacclimatized to her drysuit as she's not dived it for two years. Then Sunday - Lake Michigan! Yay! Just a couple of shallow wrecks, but I don't care.

Boat can hold 16, but they're keeping it to 8 for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Is anyone else diving?

Lake Michigan was good yesterday even though we had 2ft chop. It was 15ft viz on the wreck. Not that good, and this is a favorite wreck of mine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Headed down to the FL Keys tomorrow. Plan on doing some diving/spearfishing Friday and Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#16]
Headed to the ledge in NC for Meg teeth in early july.

Just ordered a pony bottle today to meet their requirements. Three days of real diving! I can't wait. To hell with a quarry.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Headed to the ledge in NC for Meg teeth in early july.

Just ordered a pony bottle today to meet their requirements. Three days of real diving! I can't wait. To hell with a quarry.
View Quote

@canoeguy

What size?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#18]

@canoeguy

What size?
View Quote

40c.f. The ledge is getting on the deep end of rec diving at 110' give or take so a 40 is the only thing that made sense. Plus I can use it for a stage bottle of O2 after the fact.

We are all side mount divers but dive operators hate that on a boat so we are all diving our L.P. steels over filled which will put us at our no deco limits anyway. I will sling the pony under my left arm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Had two good days of diving Thursday and Friday at two OH quarries. They have good viz, much better than my home quarry. Two tech-trained, full cave friends, helped me get my weighting and thus buoyancy set. I went from heavy thermals under drysuit to thin undies with a Thermolution heated vest and a Fourth Element X-Core vest. Worked on bottle handling. Diving tomorrow, Thursday, and both weekend days next weekend to practice. My instructor wants video of me doing skills before we schedule a class weekend at the local quarry.

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Had two good days of diving Thursday and Friday at two OH quarries. They have good viz, much better than my home quarry. Two tech-trained, full cave friends, helped me get my weighting and thus buoyancy set. I went from heavy thermals under drysuit to thin undies with a Thermolution heated vest and a Fourth Element X-Core vest. Worked on bottle handling. Diving tomorrow, Thursday, and both weekend days next weekend to practice. My instructor wants video of me doing skills before we schedule a class weekend at the local quarry.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/38B3AF69-AB6F-42B6-BFFF-4123127CAC0E_1_2-1461831.jpg

View Quote

Reminds me of the local borrow pit we use for checkout dives when it's too big offshore. Tigertail Lake. There's a largemouth that attacks if you get to close. It's really funny watching a DM candidate freakout when it latches on to their hand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Reminds me of the local borrow pit we use for checkout dives when it's too big offshore. Tigertail Lake. There's a largemouth that attacks if you get to close. It's really funny watching a DM candidate freakout when it latches on to their hand.
View Quote

The trout and bass at Gilboa are used to getting fed, so they will get right up in your face, but go away if you don’t feed them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
@Marie

What size are your twins?  I’m thinking about making a set
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Octopus5alive:
@Marie

What size are your twins?  I’m thinking about making a set
View Quote

@Octopus5alive

They are HP80s. Don’t recommend them unless you are short. I’m 5’5”. They can make you head heavy due to their shortness. HP100s are the standard up here, although I know some folks who dive LP85s or 95s. The really tall guys like HP120s. Those are like half my height.

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve got a pair of LP 108s but good Lord they are heavy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Octopus5alive:
I’ve got a pair of LP 108s but good Lord they are heavy.
View Quote

Yeah, the LPs are heavy. I’d suggest the HP100s or LP85s.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess it really depends on how you’re going to be diving them or any physical issues. The 100s would be too heavy for my knees. The HP80s are perfect for my height, plus I already had 8 of them. They had also worked for me for sidemount, so I saw no reason not to use them. I know someone who had started tech with them and they had really worked for her.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, to be honest, there isn't much of a need for them locally.  Most of my diving is in the Keys, and I fly there, so no taking them on board.  I also run out of bottom time before I run out of gas, and am not extended range trained yet.  If I want redundancy, I will just sling another bottle.

Just dreaming is all, lol.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

I love them for backmount singles...cave-filled to 3500 cold of course!
View Quote

And that’s how I roll with mine!  That with my stainless plate means no weight.  But I dive wet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Great quarry dives today. We had gorgeous weather. On Lake Michigan Saturday afternoon. Quarry again Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
First dive of the year, 2hr and 40 min.   The lake still needs to warm-up some more.
View Quote

2:40? How deep were you? Are you still with the girlfriend who was interested in diving?
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:45:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#33]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Please be careful around the dam.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Fabulous day on Lake Michigan. 1ft waves at the most. The scattered t’storms went south. Got some great pics and video.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#37]
Hit Buford again on Saturday... my surface interval was 204 days.

Water was a couple feet low it seems like, last time I was there (12/05/2019) our tanks were in the water sitting on the ledge built into the deck. Surface pool was fairly clear for the shallow depth, you could still see the rock ledge around the sinkhole itself that was about five feet deep, but it had a brown haze to it. The first 20 feet of the sink was green and had lots of particulate, like from the freedivers that were present and kids swimming. From 20-40' it was getting more clear and fairly typical; below 40', it was pretty much like gin. Looking up from the breakdown pile around 75-80 feet, the surface was just a green glow. Surface temps were 79-80 degrees, bottom temps 74-76 degrees with a noticeable thermocline around the 20 foot mark.

I took my Mares 3mm suit (which is ancient, and full of holes, I bought it used when I first started diving) and I DEFINITELY want to buy another 3mm suit to use during summer dives.

I saw Amazon has a Mares 2.5mm suit for like $120, which is almost a no-brainer... just wondering if that will be enough to keep me warm. lol

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#38]
Nice! Too squeezy for me!

Well, yesterday was interesting. A number of people around me seem to think that SM is the answer to my issues with doubles weight and the boat ladder as well as valve drills.

Through a very weird series of personal connections, I will be diving SM off a boat with a well regarded tech instructor elsewhere in the Great Lakes region, who offered their time to dive with me when someone I know happened to mention my struggles. This instructor is used to diving SM off a boat, so having someone show me the proper and efficient way to do it is key.

I happen to have one set of HP80 singles that still have left/right valves. We'll reconfigure my regs with bits (such as hoses or SPG) loaned as needed. I'll be loaned a SMS75, which is what I had when I did SM two years ago. I sold mine.

My tech instructor is aware and I have his blessing. He dives SM plenty himself and has current SM students, so if I decided to switch to SM, that wouldn't be an issue.

I was NOT looking to go back to SM. That was the last thing on my mind. Some of the locals seem to have been conspiring to help me over the hurdle. I am not going to turn down help so kindly offered.

Will definitely be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm thinking about getting a new mask, too - my Dive Rite ES125 (I think that's the model) is pretty small for my wide head and it doesn't always seal perfectly... not sure what I can find for a big head that's still low volume and accepts prescription lenses, but I guess I'll give it a shot!
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, guys, it’s been a good run. But I’m giving up diving. Reasons are not up for discussion. I’ve withdrawn from my tech class and I’ll be selling off my gear.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, guys, it’s been a good run. But I’m giving up diving. Reasons are not up for discussion. I’ve withdrawn from my tech class and I’ll be selling off my gear.
View Quote

Shit, Marie, I hate to hear that.  Have really enjoyed this thread.  

But that time comes for all of us, eventually.  

Be well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Damn, that's sudden. Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#43]
A few friends have already called dibs on a bunch of my gear - including all my tanks - so that will make selling easier than expected. Would just have to list the Shearwaters and a few other things on a FB scuba gear sale group. Figuring out prices for all of it now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#44]
View Quote

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that!

I just reached a deal with my buddy:

Traded an out of VIP, bare (no valve) AL80 and $350 for an O2-clean AL40 with deco rigging and one of his extra Petrels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Sorry to hear this.  You have a lot of passion for the sport from what I have gleened.
I struggle still.

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, maybe not quite yet. A friend talked me into going diving today. Different location, etc. Was a good day with good dives.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, maybe not quite yet. A friend talked me into going diving today. Different location, etc. Was a good day with good dives.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Both sets of doubles are being broken down. I was shown how to properly dive SM off a boat Sunday. Just needs some practice.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Both sets of doubles are being broken down. I was shown how to properly dive SM off a boat Sunday. Just needs some practice.
View Quote

So you're not quitting?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top