Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 4:58:23 PM EDT
So I recently came across this guide:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=429241

I have done it twice now with great results. Some of my friends say it takes 3-12 months to make good mead, and even after all that time sometimes it's still bad!

The basic formula is -
add a nutrient addition when you create the mead
Use Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale (and use a starter)
Degass daily
add further nutrient additions (I do mine on day 2 and day 5)

That's pretty much it. The old method used DAP, Fermaid K, and Potassium Carbonate. The new method uses Fermaid O instead of Fermaid K.  I have been using the old method because I have the chemicals for it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been collecting honey for a mead. Raw, unfiltered. Hope to do a mead soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It's really quite easy, and although the additives may be hard to come by, I highly recommend this method. At 3 weeks my mead tasted better than my friends mead that had been aging for 1 year. At 4 weeks it dropped completely clear. Tastes great too.

One thing to keep in mind is the terminal gravity and desired sweetness.  For example:

If your OG is 1.100, good chance it'll finish at 1.000 and 12.8%, it's a dry mead. You might not like that at all.
If your OG is 1.150, good chance it'll finish around 1.040, a sweet mead, and around 15% alcohol.

This of course depends on what yeast you use as well. The main reason to make a BOMM is it's fast and good- traditional methods take longer and are less consistent.
----------
My 2nd batch I have some aging on blackberries, and some aging on freestone peaches right now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a world-renowned brewer try my blackberry mead, and he liked it. He even told me he looks forward to trying my next batches.  :)

The BB mead was only 4 weeks old when he tried it, as well. :)
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a world-renowned brewer try my blackberry mead, and he liked it. He even told me he looks forward to trying my next batches.  :)

View Quote
I just got through reading that thread over on HomebrewTalk.

Dang it, now I am going to have to try it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't want to read it all. Does he mention his water chemistry, or is that handled by the Honey and nutrients? My tap water is not good, though I have access to well water and RO water.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@96Ag Did you try this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@96Ag Did you try this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@96Ag Did you try this?
@davewvu86

I have not tried it yet. I just put a cyser in the chest freezer to cold crash. I'll be adding tart cherry concentrate and then tossing it into the keg on Friday. Next up is a graf and then I'll give the mead a whirl.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I just mixed up 3 gallons of must, 9lbs of honey.  I will add the yeast tomorrow.

Edit: Dang, gravity is low, about 1.045. Gonna add more honey!
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok. Got the gravity to about 1.15.  Gonna be a sweet one  I think.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just mixed up 3 gallons of must, 9lbs of honey.  I will add the yeast tomorrow.

Edit: Dang, gravity is low, about 1.045. Gonna add more honey!
View Quote
9lbs of honey in 3 gallons would yield a gravity close to 1.100
It's quite possible that you didn't get the honey fully integrated into the water, which is fine

I don't take OG readings for mead, ever. I very carefully weigh my honey (to the 10th of an ounce)  and then take gravity readings after 1 week, or later.

As to the question earlier, he recommends using Spring water over tap water. He uses Ozarka, I use a local product called El Dorado. My tap water is good, but it does contain some Chlorine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I racked the 3 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy today. Degassing was a terrible mess.

Degassed some more after racking to fill the headspace with CO2.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@davewvu86

I have not tried it yet. I just put a cyser in the chest freezer to cold crash. I'll be adding tart cherry concentrate and then tossing it into the keg on Friday. Next up is a graf and then I'll give the mead a whirl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@96Ag Did you try this?
@davewvu86

I'm just getting into brewing.  Now I need to research cyser and graf.  So much reading...
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#13]
This is relevant to my interests.

<——beekeeper who will have 15-20 hives next year.  I think I’ll be able to spare a hundred pounds for this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is relevant to my interests.

<——beekeeper who will have 15-20 hives next year.  I think I’ll be able to spare a hundred pounds for this.
View Quote
While it's possible to make mead in 4 weeks, lately I've been taking about 8 until I bottle, and even then, some additional aging time in the bottle improves clarity. However, it's fully ready to drink in 4 weeks in most cases, even when pushing up to 15%.

IMO one of the biggest factors in increasing your enjoyment of the product is adjusting the sweetness level to your liking. I had some mead that my friend made, so sweet we ended up dumping the whole thing. I guesstimate his FG was somewhere around 1.050.

So far I've made stuff finishing between 1.005 and 1.035 and I think the sweetness level depends on what you are aiming for. Fruits tend to play well off the sweetness, and you can "get away" with more residual sugar and taste good. For my "show mead" I think it finished around 1.018 (will have to check)
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

9lbs of honey in 3 gallons would yield a gravity close to 1.100
It's quite possible that you didn't get the honey fully integrated into the water, which is fine

I don't take OG readings for mead, ever. I very carefully weigh my honey (to the 10th of an ounce)  and then take gravity readings after 1 week, or later.

As to the question earlier, he recommends using Spring water over tap water. He uses Ozarka, I use a local product called El Dorado. My tap water is good, but it does contain some Chlorine.
View Quote
@djkest I don't take gravity readings either. I use bottled spring water as well. I tend to use 8-9 lbs of honey and lots of berries or berry juice. I make the juice myself from boiled berries and spring water. This method yields all the goodness of fresh berries without taking up so much space in the carboy and the meads clear much faster without all the solids in the must.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I make the juice myself from boiled berries and spring water.
View Quote
I think I am going to try this with one of my next batches, but instead of boiling I am going to try and hold the temp around 160 degrees for 10-15 minutes to pasturize the berries. Pre-fermentation would be more susceptible to wild yeasts and bacteria.

And then I'll add more fruit on the back end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top