Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#1]
Using Sip & Feast's NY-Style pizza dough recipe as a base I made a half-recipe and reduced the hydration from 64% to 60%.

At that hydration rate the dough was super-easy to work with. Soft and silky with very little to no stickiness (yay!).

2 dough balls went into the fridge for a 60-hour cold ferment.

407 grams King Arthur Bread Flour
244 grams water
1.5 grams instant yeast (1/2 teaspoon)
8 grams salt (I used kosher salt)
5 grams sugar (1-1/8 teaspoons)
13.5 grams olive oil (1 Tablespoon)

Using these amounts I was able to make two 14" pizzas. If you're good enough spin out two 16" pies I salute you!

Results next post!

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Using Sip & Feast's recipe for NY-Style pizza I halved the recipe and lowered the hydration from 64% to 60%. Cold fermented for 60 hours and brought out for two hours prior to stretching/topping/baking (500F on a pizza stone). Results were excellent. I think 60% hydration might just be the sweet spot for NY-style 'rounds'.

Pizza A: LOL this one I call "The Jersey Shore". Meatballs and anchovies.

Pizza B: Standard NY-style cheese

Sauce is a 28 oz. can of all purpose crushed tomatoes (Aldi) with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 TBS tomato paste for thickening. Cheese for both was 8 oz. of Walmart's Great Value part-skim Mozzarella (the whole milk-style block NOT 'rubber mozz'). Cheese was semi-frozen then grated. Both pies sprinkled with oregano.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:46:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#3]
Local Aldi has Hormel "Cup & Crisp" pepperoni so I purchase two packages. Will review when I use them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#4]
Great recipe for not only the breadsticks, but use it for the pizza crust as well.

https://simplyhomecooked.com/wprm_print/27226#

Couple tips I learned after trying it a few times...

Once everything is mixed up, roll out the dough immediately and cut to fit pan.  I used a smaller 13" x 8" pan for the breadsticks and had plenty to make the sticks as well as the pizza.  The dough for the sticks started out at 1/4" thick and 1/16" for the pizza.  I then let the dough sit for a few hours before baking.  Both raised over double the starting thickness.

I didn't mix up the breadstick herbed butter until after everything was baked and cooling off.  Make sure is that you use garlic POWDER and not the garlic salt that I grabbed the first time.  

One thing I've learned over the last few months is that pre-warming my mixing bowl with hot water is making the dough rise a lot better than not going it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Current recipe doesn't include sugar, yet turns out great and neighbors insist I need to take orders anytime I cook pizza.

What does the sugar do for the dough?

Current recipe.

KR 12.7% Flour 305.2g
Water    186.2g
Yeast   1.2g
Salt    5.6g
oil      .5 tsp
Malt   2g

No Sugar
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top