Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I just soaked it in water for 2hrs. Drained and refrigerator for the night. Going to cut some up for breakfast tomorrow. I screwed up my recipe, used the ratio for 7lb of meat and only had 4lb roast with bone in. Not a huge deal but still room for improvement. I will make the needed changes and order my meat Monday. Probably going to smoke and cook rare it xmas Eve and taste it to be sure. Do a reheat and glaze it for Christmas dinner. Thanks for all the help and ideas. Nothing more gratifying then starting from raw food and ending up with an awesome meal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That's true.

Best part is serving it to people and they say, "You made this?" LOL.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I've soaked for a total of 3 hours, tested after 2 and was still a bit to salty, went for another hour this morning and now it's perfect. The shoulder just for the record produced ham that tastes exactly as the rear leg/hip would have. Probably going to adjust the amount of sweet as well for the next recipe to give it a little more but not much. It's been sliced and I've been picking all morning now. The rest I'll do on the deli slicer for sandwiches this week.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The hard part, with the first one I made, was not just slicing it and eating it as I cut each piece.

I have these in the oven right now...

Front one is smoky garlic, middle is jalapeno cheddar, farthest is Memphis barbecue (I had a McCormick's pack that smelled delicious, so I threw it in for giggles).

Two hours to go...will post pics!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Left: smoky garlic
Middle: Jalapeno Cheddar
Right: Memphis BBQ

First impressions...it's gonna take a lot more flavoring than I put in. I put in about a tablespoon of jalapenos and what I thought was a bunch of cheddar.

It's good, but the jalapeno flavor doesn't stand out at all.  And the cheddar is totally absent.

Same with the Memphis BBQ. I need to put much, much more flavoring in. I can taste it, but it needs more. The smoky garlic is smoky, but not garlicky.

I was afraid the Mortons would overwhelm it with saltiness, and I can see that's not the case. It could use a bit more salt as well.

Don't get me wrong...they're all very good, but I just need to do some tweaking.

Overall, pretty satisfied with the first effort! Not hard to do, either. I just know now to err on the side of over-spicing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm smoking! Smoker arrived yesterday afternoon (fedex you suck) and did a dry run last night to season it. Let the loin air dry in the fridge last night and then on the counter today to
bring the temp up a bit. I'll adjust the low temp alarms when they come up a bit so the alarms aren't going off. Top is meat and bottom is smoker temp. the smoker is up over 100* now.
I almost put some creole seasoning on it but I'll wait till next time as I'm not sure how salty the cure will be. I might make a no salt rub if I need to. Will update later.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
stacks04 soaked his for a few hours and it solved his saltiness problem.

I never had an issue using the ratios that I listed in the recipe on pg 1, but if you get it too salty, a soak will fix it.

Post pics when you're done!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Delicious! Probably less salty than most ham I've eaten. I'll most likely cut back to a 1/3 cup of salt next time so I can use some spicy commercial seasonings. I used 1/2 cup this time. I peppered it pretty well but I could actually go heavier on that too.

But like I said its dam tasty as is. I used cherry wood chunks as I haven't experimented with the pecan I have yet. Its pinker than itl ooks in the pic and it really soaked up the smoke! Its sweet all the way through, which is right on with what I read about long cures. Salt infuses the meat fairly quickly until it reaches equilibrium but sugar takes quite awhile longer to penetrate. That was actually 1 day over 3 weeks in the cure.  I've got a 6 lb chicken I'm going to brine over night tonight or tomorrow night and I'll use the pecan on that. Cheap meat until I have the smoker (and wood) figured out. 1st time using the Thermoworks "Smoke" thermometer and it worked great too. Got it set, checked that I had smoke, and was dozing in the recliner when the alarm went off.
They're on sale 20% off ($80) at the Thermoworks site right now.

ETA actually after eating quite a bit of this I don't think I'll change the salt, its pretty good. I'll probably just come up with a no/lo salt rub.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good. I may do a loin like that since I've got a couple in the freezer now. I am worried though as i enjoy the flavoring of the fat in my ham. I've done pecan on poultry before and didn't care for it. It's good on pork and beef though. Personal preference as a ton of guys on the smoking forum really enjoy the pecan on poultry. Just cook at higher temps with poultry to reach the 140* mark quicker. To many bad things can happen with poultry and no huge benefit to really low and slow. I shoot for 275-300 or so cook temps.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are making me hungry.

Problem is, if I make a ham, it's still 10 days away.

That's the down side of all of this...you really have to think ahead for when you MIGHT want ham...lol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Disaster...

As you recall, I was in the process of drying two capicolas.

Followed the recipe, first one of the two got to recommended weight (post cure weight -30%).

So, I sliced a piece off and took a bite.

Ugh. Without a doubt the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

One it was FAR too salty. I think a week in the cure is probably too much.

Second, I'm not entirely sure that the paprika didn't go rancid. Very much a musty "shoe leathery" taste.

I rinsed it with water, scrubbed it with vinegar, scrubbed it with red wine, everything they say to do to fix it. I simply can't wash that taste off.

I'm going to let it sit a while longer, then my next attempt is going to be to trim off all of the outside and see if that helps it any.

I have another one drying right now that is spiced the exact same way. I'm sure it's just as bad.

Ugh. Still a learning process. I know it may not be "authentic", but I'd rather just have black pepper on my cured meats. Not gonna try to get fancy from now on!

Oh well. That's one thing I learned NOT to do, I guess!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
That sucks! Hopefully you'll be able to save it.

Just got back from Costco & I'll be in a smoking frenzy for awhile. Have a 10 lb pork belly, another loin just because the 1st was that good, and 5 lbs of cheese. Cheddar and pepper jack.

I'm going to halve the belly and wet cure/hot smoke one half and wet cure/cold smoke the other piece. Both will be pepper bacon because pepper bacon.  
Probably get started on it the next day or two.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I couldn't save it. I even cut all of the outside of it off and it was still way too freakin' salty. Thing is, when I did the lonzo (tenderloin) I only did it overnight in the cure. For this, they recommended a week. I wonder if that was with regular kosher salt or Mortons Tender Quick? Dunno, but I can tell you that curing for a week in MTQ is WAYYY too long.

Just got back from Costco & I'll be in a smoking frenzy for awhile. Have a 10 lb pork belly, another loin just because the 1st was that good, and 5 lbs of cheese. Cheddar and pepper jack.

I'm going to halve the belly and wet cure/hot smoke one half and wet cure/cold smoke the other piece. Both will be pepper bacon because pepper bacon.  
Probably get started on it the next day or two.
Dangit. I need a smoker. Pepper bacon sounds awesome.

Please post a detailed recipe. I have a buddy who might smoke for me if I split the "proceeds" with him...lol.

Should asked for one for Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I have learned from smoking meat and cooking in general
is that no one is perfect and stuff happens. Throw it away or feed it to the dog
and start over. No sense in crying over spilled milk.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I have learned from smoking meat and cooking in general
is that no one is perfect and stuff happens. Throw it away or feed it to the dog
and start over. No sense in crying over spilled milk.
View Quote
Already did, although not with a pork shoulder...doing a tenderloin. I wish it had some fat on it, but it was still very good last time I made it.

And I ONLY used black pepper on the outside...lol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Amazing Ribs has some good info on bacon making and a calculator to help make the brine and especially the Prague Powder calculations "safe"...

Amazing Ribs

I've done the basic bacon recipe several times,  always came out tasty.  Next time I want to do a loin for Canadian style bacon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Amazing Ribs has some good info on bacon making and a calculator to help make the brine and especially the Prague Powder calculations "safe"...

Amazing Ribs

I've done the basic bacon recipe several times,  always came out tasty.  Next time I want to do a loin for Canadian style bacon.
View Quote
There's a recipe for that earlier in this thread. A couple of posters have done variations of it with good results.

I need to make bacon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got the pork belly curing now. Same cure as I used on the loin. Its got 10 days to go and I think I'll cold smoke it. And probably do the cheese in the next few days.
The smoked meatloaf (and chicken) was good!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I've only done dry rub on pork belly for bacon. I will try a brine next time to see the difference. Cold smoke and slice into the freezer. Packed in 5 slice packages for convenient use for a couple burgers or quick breakfast portion since I'm the only red blooded meat eater in my home
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sweet. I'll bet it was good. Did you use sugar in your brine?

I need to try bacon, but we don't have a decent butcher locally. Gonna do it at some point, though, if for no other reason than it's fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started dry but on a smoking forum i was told that 4” thick I might better have wet cured.  I made the change and cured another four days so arfcom both applies.
Sweet. I'll bet it was good. Did you use sugar in your brine?

I need to try bacon, but we don't have a decent butcher locally. Gonna do it at some point, though, if for no other reason than it's fun.
Yes I did use sugar.

I cannot get pork bellies for regular slicing bacon other than tiny ones not worth my time.    I’d love to do regular bacon too.

After the holidays I want to do smoked pork chops.  I loved them as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to try a dry cure after this batch. It looks like about 1/2 the cure time (a week vs 10-14 days) and it'd take up a lot less room in the fridge too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm going to try a dry cure after this batch. It looks like about 1/2 the cure time (a week vs 10-14 days) and it'd take up a lot less room in the fridge too.
View Quote
Dry curing, especially without cooking, is a whole different beast. Challenging, but fun to learn.

I figured out what happened with my "capicola" (quotes, because a purist would probably throw up in his hat if he saw that written).

Too much cure! Mortons is a much quicker dry cure. I did two days on two shoulder pieces, much shorter than the week before. I also flipped them and rubbed the cure back into the meat every 12 hours or so. When they came out, they were much darker, and a completely different texture...rubbery almost. I remember that texture from curing my pork tenderloin before.

So, I rinsed it well, spiced it with black pepper only, then hung it in a coarse linen wrap in the fridge after measuring initial weight.  Think these are going to be much better.

Relatively small pieces, only 350 grams (12 oz) or so for the heaviest one. I do everything in grams to make it easier to calculate weight loss.

Before I threw the other (inedible) one away, I figured I'd cut it in half just for giggles. Potato pic:

It actually looked good. Except for a dark band of hardening around the bottom, which would have been fixed by a week in a vacuum seal pouch, it looked like I thought it should. I wish it were more fatty, but it does have a little more fat than the tenderloin I cured.

I cut a thin slice. Cut the terrible tasting part from around the edges, and ate the rest.

At first, it was not bad at all, until the salt kicked in. Ugh. So salty that it was just bitter.

Chucked it in the trash.  Oh well. I think the next ones will come out better. Will post in a month or two!

BTW, it does take up a lot less room, but my wife is none to happy about stuff hanging down from the top of the fridge...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Found a nice italian market about an hour away from me. Finally got a chance to get there yesterday due to the weather here. Bought a free different dried sausages and few different procuitto. 2 different cheese. Could have spent hundreds in here lol. Hopefully getting a mini fridge after the holidays to take me down the road of drying sausage again. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Finally got around to smoking some cheese.  Smoked for 3 hrs over Pecan dust (from pellets). Have 2 more trays of cheddar and assorted stuff. The dark end on one of the pieces is from setting right over the dust tray.
I'll set the tray on the floor of the smoker next time or rig a deflector. I'm sold on using the dust now, its delicious right out of the smoker rather than having to let it mellow for a week or two. I'll be even better in a week. If theres any left.
Next up tomorrow or the next day is cold smoking 10 lbs of bacon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Finally got around to smoking some cheese.  Smoked for 3 hrs over Pecan dust (from pellets). Have 2 more trays of cheddar and assorted stuff. The dark end on one of the pieces is from setting right over the dust tray.
I'll set the tray on the floor of the smoker next time or rig a deflector. I'm sold on using the dust now, its delicious right out of the smoker rather than having to let it mellow for a week or two. I'll be even better in a week. If theres any left.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67690/IMG_20181229_22e5406_jpg-789784.JPG
View Quote
I've created a monster. All this thread does is make me hungry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've created a monster. All this thread does is make me hungry.
View Quote

Pepper bacon in the front and pepper garlic in the back. Its gonna get down to 32* tonight so should be just right for 50-60 in the smoker.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:13:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67690/IMG_20181229_22e5406_jpg-789784.JPG
View Quote
I really need to do some mozzarella. My last smoke was 2# Cougar Gold, 3# of Jarlsberg, 5# of Tillamook medium cheddar, and some Jack all done in layered Alder and Apple woods for two hours. The Jarlsberg is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#29]
My 2 "capicola" pieces have reached target weight...which is 30% less than the weight right out of the cure.

I put capicola in quotes because some dude from Italy would see what I've done and laugh his head off.

I avoided the paprika this time, instead opting for plain black pepper.

I took a little slice off the end of one this morning. Not overly salty for an end piece. No stale paprika taste...the black pepper held up quite well. Should be even less salty in the middle.

They even look better than the old ones. Much nicer color, that's for sure. And, a little white mold, which means no funny business has gone on.

They're hard as rocks! A dedicated setup, with accurate humidity control, would make them nice and firm without being hardened on the outside.

But, I don't have that, so I cheat by vacuum sealing them. That pulls the moisture from the middle into the hard dry edges, reconstituting the outside and generally improving flavor and texture. I'll probably leave them in the seal for a week or two and then open them up to check. If they're good, I'm slicing them and chowing down. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
if your product is too salty, you might try curing by percentage of weight. really works well and will let you control saltiness easier than oversalting and trying to guess how long to soak to get it where you want it. i'll also seal my meat in vacuum bags while curing and let it cure for 10-14 days to reach equilibrium. not really a wet cure, but not really a dry cure, either.
we're also doing equillibrium brining, as well. just gives us more control over the final product.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
if your product is too salty, you might try curing by percentage of weight. really works well and will let you control saltiness easier than oversalting and trying to guess how long to soak to get it where you want it. i'll also seal my meat in vacuum bags while curing and let it cure for 10-14 days to reach equilibrium. not really a wet cure, but not really a dry cure, either.
we're also doing equillibrium brining, as well. just gives us more control over the final product.
View Quote
You have my ear.
Salt ratio for bacon? Every recipe I've used tended to be either too salty, and needed soaking, or too sweet with Brown sugar
Where can I learn more about figuring out the proper salt ratios?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You have my ear.
Salt ratio for bacon? Every recipe I've used tended to be either too salty, and needed soaking, or too sweet with Brown sugar
View Quote
Math,not even once! I use the Digging Dog Farms calculator for dry curing. You can adjust the salt/sugar ratio's accordingly. It auto sets the nitrite PPM to kind of a universal 156 but you can adjust if you want,I think the USDA recommends 120 for bacon but check to make sure. I think most people go with 1.5-2.0 on the salt but YMMV. I used a wet brine this last batch of bacon and didn't like the firmness (lack of actually) and will go back to a dry cure. I ended up hot smoking to firm it up some. It came out pretty good.
ETA This calculator is for Cure  #1/Prague Powder
Cure Calculator

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Math,not even once! I use the Digging Dog Farms calculator for dry curing. You can adjust the salt/sugar ratio's accordingly. It auto sets the nitrite PPM to kind of a universal 156 but you can adjust if you want,I think the USDA recommends 120 for bacon but check to make sure. I think most people go with 1.5-2.0 on the salt but YMMV. I used a wet brine this last batch of bacon and didn't like the firmness (lack of actually) and will go back to a dry cure. I ended up hot smoking to firm it up some. It came out pretty good.
Cure Calculator

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67690/IMG_20190101_201022_jpg-798480.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my ear.
Cure Calculator

you can also use the cure calculator for an equilirium brine.i go 2:1 meat to water. calculate the total weight, make your cure mixture for the total. i cure everything for a minimum of 8 days, and longer for thicker pieces. if i can find it again, i'll post a brine cure time calculator.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Removed from the vac bag, sliced, and tasted.

I have to say, this is the best that I've made yet. I'm not sure I'm preparing it correctly before curing/trussing. I probably need to just use the whole muscle instead of cutting it up. It's missing a lot of fat, and that's what I want.

But, it is a lot more evenly colored, which means that the vac sealing is distributing the moisture well.

Flavor is very good. Salt is where it needs to be. A little salty but not overwhelming.

I'm leaving the other piece in the vac bag for another week. I already have plenty to munch on.

I also have a pork tenderloin in the vac that I need to slice...almost forgot about this.

Wife is happy not to have anything hanging in the fridge, that's for sure!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cure Calculator

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my ear.
Cure Calculator

eta: brine curing time as promised
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cure Calculator

View Quote
Thank you! I think that is exactly what I need.
Here's my next question. When I buy a 9-10# pork belly and cut it up to manageable slabs, I've just been mixing my dry cure ingredients for the total weight and then dividing it up between the 3 or 4 curing bags. Would I be better off mixing ingredients for each slab/bag? My finished three slabs are within a few grams of each other going into the cure, so I figure it's just easier to mix one time and divide evenly.
I dry cure 7 to 10 days, then smoke it at 250, to an internal temp of 140 before pulling it. Then I firm it up in the fridge and slice, pack, and freeze.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#37]
i weigh each piece and prepare each cure for each. ymmv
you should try cold smoking your bacon. easy peasy

eta: just read where the USDA says temps over 130 deg starts to break down the available nitrites

about halfway down the page
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Removed from the vac bag, sliced, and tasted.

https://i.imgur.com/2kisPsc.jpg

I have to say, this is the best that I've made yet. I'm not sure I'm preparing it correctly before curing/trussing. I probably need to just use the whole muscle instead of cutting it up. It's missing a lot of fat, and that's what I want.

But, it is a lot more evenly colored, which means that the vac sealing is distributing the moisture well.

Flavor is very good. Salt is where it needs to be. A little salty but not overwhelming.

I'm leaving the other piece in the vac bag for another week. I already have plenty to munch on.

I also have a pork tenderloin in the vac that I need to slice...almost forgot about this.

Wife is happy not to have anything hanging in the fridge, that's for sure!
View Quote
That looks good!  Looks like you're getting it figured out. I've been enjoying all the room in the fridge myself but I ran out of canadian bacon/ham so I'm going to start another loin curing tonight. I got rid of my redneck patio fridge when I quit hunting. It sure would be handy now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That looks good!  Looks like you're getting it figured out. I've been enjoying all the room in the fridge myself but I ran out of canadian bacon/ham so I'm going to start another loin curing tonight. I got rid of my redneck patio fridge when I quit hunting. It sure would be handy now.
View Quote
Yeah, a second fridge for charcuterie would be excellent. Maybe a dorm fridge? Dunno.

But yes, this did turn out pretty well. Rather bland, though, with only black pepper on the outside. I need to find something that I can put on it to give it a little kick, but that will not go rancid over the course of the curing process.

Maybe I should try another type of paprika. But, after ruining the other one, I'm leery. Nevertheless, paprika is what is used on traditional capicola, so maybe I'll give it another shot with a different brand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I ended up vacuum-sealing and "losing" a cured tenderloin in the back of the fridge.

Found it, got it out, and cut it up. It had been vacuum sealed for over a month.

The flavor was the best that I'd had yet...very intense and concentrated. The saltiness was evenly distributed. The texture was uniform. The color was even and looked pleasing. It was freaking good.

I think that's the key. Vacuum sealing makes all the difference in imparting an excellent flavor to dry cured meats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I ended up vacuum-sealing and "losing" a cured tenderloin in the back of the fridge.

Found it, got it out, and cut it up. It had been vacuum sealed for over a month.

The flavor was the best that I'd had yet...very intense and concentrated. The saltiness was evenly distributed. The texture was uniform. The color was even and looked pleasing. It was freaking good.

I think that's the key. Vacuum sealing makes all the difference in imparting an excellent flavor to dry cured meats.
View Quote
It's also invaluable in cold smoking cheese. I cold smoke a lot of cheese every year, and after a few hours in the smoker it goes straight into vacuum bags for no less than 3 months before opening it. The produce drawers in my beer fridge are always stuffed full of smoked cheese. The longer a cheese can sit after smoking it, the better it gets. I've left cheeses to sit for as long as two years before opening them, and
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I smoked a bit last week.Probably have 14-15 lbs put away. Need to do another 10-12 lbs before it warms up.
I've been trying to find some horseradish cheese and I think I may have found some 20-30 miles away. Need
to drive over there if we don't get a snowpocalypse this week.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
@NorWester
find yourself some Kerrygold whiskey cheddar and give it a subtle cherry smoke, and vacuum pack it for about 4 months.
Irish whiskey cheddar
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll take a look for some. I noticed that Costco had some Kerrygold cheese last time I was there.
I don't know if it was just their Dubliner stuff or if they had other. Sounds good though!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I've seen it at QFC on rare occasion, Costco only carries the Dubliner.
I have some of that in the fridge aging that smoked over a mixture of apple and cherry. I'll open it in about three more weeks.
Grab a wedge of that Jarlsberg at Costco and smoke some of that. It's become a favorite of ours.
I divide the wedge into thirds and cold smoke it for 2 to 3 hours with apple dust, and let it rest for 4 weeks under vacuum.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll snag some Jarlsberg next time I'm in there. I want to try Gouda and Muenster too. I probably won't be smoking anything for the next couple weeks as I'm moving the weekend of the 15th.
I've got spices and wood chunks packed up already. I've got an Auber PID on the way and I won't have time to play with it either for a few weeks.
New Gadget/toy
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey OP, I've got a Capicola drying in the fridge myself (one is 1.1kg the other 2.2).  I followed UMAI's recipe and such and so far so good.  One thing I did do was harvest a couple Copa muscles from 2 bone in shoulders and ended up with pork T-bones left over
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll snag some Jarlsberg next time I'm in there. I want to try Gouda and Muenster too. I probably won't be smoking anything for the next couple weeks as I'm moving the weekend of the 15th.
I've got spices and wood chunks packed up already. I've got an Auber PID on the way and I won't have time to play with it either for a few weeks.
New Gadget/toy
View Quote
Sunday I smoked 5# of Tillamook cheddar, a 2# wedge of Gouda, , a 2# wedge of Jarlsberg, and 2# of Mozzeralla. I think I've got my fridge stocked back up to where it needs to be until next winter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sunday I smoked 5# of Tillamook cheddar, a 2# wedge of Gouda, , a 2# wedge of Jarlsberg, and 2# of Mozzeralla. I think I've got my fridge stocked back up to where it needs to be until next winter.
View Quote
If you see Bandon cheddar give that a try, Costco carries it. It was originally made in Bandon OR until they started having cash problems and Tillamook Creamery bought them out then started producing it in Tillamook. I liked it better than the Tillamook stuff when it was being made in Bandon but now I can't tell the difference between the two. The plus is that its considerably cheaper than the Tillamook brand.

Smoked 8 lbs of Muenster and Gouda the other night for the last cold smoke until fall. Was right on the edge of temps and some of the Muenster got a little saggy but its still good, no actual melting. No problem with the Gouda. Should have put some cold packs in the smoker but I know now how much softer the Muenster is compared to. Back to hot smoking until the cold weather is back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I got into November's Jarlsberg Sunday evening. I wish I had smoked more than I did. Looking forward to a BBQ chicken and bacon pizza with the smoked Mozzarella though.
I'm afraid I'm done putting up cheese until after Thanksgiving as well.
However, I have a trimmed out 14 pound Prime Brisket rubbed down in the freezer for an unconventional experiment as soon as I get a weekend off. I'm going to cold smoke it for 4 hours, then vacuum seal it and sous vide it, before finishing on a hot grill.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top