Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
So I'm pickling all my jalepenos as they're coming in.  They taste great but what do I do with them?

I know it's sounds dumb, but what do you all add them to?  They are cut in slices...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Put 'em on Nachos my friend...Nachos for the win
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I let mine go until they are red ripe (this is what Sriracha Sauce uses) then I make hot sauce.

Just today I made a batch.
I went out to the garden and picked 18 ripe Jalapeño's and since I had three ripe Sandia peppers (slightly hotter than Jalapeño's) I grabbed them also:

I cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced the peppers into 1/8" slices.
I then dumped them in a large skillet and I added 2.5 tbsp of fresh minced garlic, 1.3 cups of fresh chopped onions, 1.3 tsp salt, 2 tbsp veggie oil, and sauteed over high heat for six minutes.

After that I added 3.5 cups of water, turned the heat down a bit and simmered about 35 minutes or until the water was just about gone:

Then I let it come to room temperature and put the mix into a food processor and pureed it:

Then I added 1.75 cups of white vinegar and mixed it up well:

Next I strained it through a fine mesh strainer:

Then poured into a couple of canning jars and sealed them up:

I let this sit for about a week in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend and then I freeze it until it's needed.
This will probably last about 4 to 6 months in the refrigerator unfrozen.
Tastes great and you can adjust the flavor to your liking by changing the pepper types, vinegar, or salt amount.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good, I can do that!

When they turn red they are "hotter" correct?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good, I can do that!

When they turn red they are "hotter" correct?
View Quote
Yeah, a little bit - they pretty much just go to the high side of the jalapeño scoville scale.
I like hot sauce, I just don't like the "burn your mouth down" hot sauce and my hot sauce is perfect for me - hot but not too hot.
About the only difference between the hot sauce recipe I use and Sriracha sauce is that the jalapeño mix in Sriracha sauce is pureed and fermented before it's heated.
https://leitesculinaria.com/67202/recipes-homemade-sriracha-sauce.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cowboy candy
View Quote
This ^^^ FTW /Thread

What do I add them to? What don't I add them to?

I put them on burgers, hotdogs, tacos, nachos, bratwurst, or any other sandwich. Mix them in various sides and condiments. The possibilities are endless but since trying cowboy candy (sweet candied jalepenos) I haven't used a regular one since. The slight sweet you get with the heat is wonderful!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
AZ_Sky,

Following your recipe right now.  The Jalepenos I picked were not very large, maybe 2"-3".  The only deviation was that I added less salt and  grabbed the bottle of fish sauce and added a few shakes.. I'm always using it for one thing or another.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, I'm probably not going to strain it unless that will be a problem?

For two reasons... My laziness (No dishwasher, so I have to do all kitchen cleaning by hand)

And that I actually like chunky salsa-like condiments.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Turned out great thank you!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Turned out great thank you!
View Quote
Ya got to love it when a plan comes together!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
On burgers and dogs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Chopped fine and mixed with cream cheese to use on bagels.
Medium chop, mix with browned chorizo, then mix into refried beans.
Sliced in quesadillas with guacamole and cheese then grilled.
Sliced mixed in with chili.
On the plate as a side with your favorite Mexican food.
Sandwiches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top