Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2017 11:59:47 PM EDT
Looking for some advise. .
I'm doing venison jerky for a couple of buds.
One of them says the jerky is too tough.
I marinate the venison for 3 days in Mr. Yoshida'd, then dehydrate for 10 hours at 160 degrees..
Any idea how I can make it more tender.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
What cut of meat?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Lessen the time in the dehydrator. A little more moisture in the meat will produce a softer final product. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
True survival jerky does tend to be tough.

But take a look at which way you are slicing it. Slice across the grain to make it easier to chew.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Making jerky is a pain in the ass and your friend complains?

Some people.

Like others have said, slice against the grain. How thick are you slicing it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I use just about every piece of the deer, except the loins for jerky. The last batch was a mix of cuts as usual.

Cuts are usually about 1/4 inch thick.

I agree that for jerky to be long term it needs to be really dry. My other buddy loves it. But they are both real friends so you do for them!

I'll try cutting a large piece across the grain and decrease the drying time.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut it across the grain, so when you eat it, your going with the grain. This will make it tear easier.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks!
I pulled some venison out of the freezer and I'll try it next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
1/4in is on the thick side for jerky IMHO.

like said above across the grain will make it less chewy. 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1/4in is on the thick side for jerky IMHO.

like said above across the grain will make it less chewy. 
View Quote
This^^^

MAX thickness (pre-drying) for when I make jerky is 3/16" but I shoot for 1/8". When cutting with the grain thick sliced jerky takes longer to dry and it gets very tough to chew.

Your friend? He's used to the crap in the store. Tell him to get used to real jerky and quit complaining. The ONLY jerky I ever knew as a child was homemade by my uncle and made by the local butcher shop, and they were both REAL jerky. Tough to chew, if you ate more than 3-4 pieces you get tired of chewing and have to take a break. That serves as a good limiter on consumption.

That being said, I will give the guy a pass if he has dentures or very fragile teeth; real jerky can do a number on people with dental conditions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
He is used to store bought crap which uses chemicals to prevent bacteria and must be used in 3 days...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Try putting a teaspoon of tender quick in with the marinade.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to have a "Jerky Shooter" that used ground meat to make "jerky".

Not at all traditional, but pretty darned good stuff.
View Quote
This. A denture wearer could gum this stuff and be happy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell the friend to go see a fuckin dentist. One way or another, it will tear if you have proper teeth. He's probably got cavities or other stuff going on.

Also, you can work it a bit with your hands (bend back and forth) to soften even the hardest stuff up.

Jerky is supposed to be hard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the answers.

What I did was slice several roasts using the third thinnest setting on a Weston slicer. The first 2 shredded the meat. Put it in a zip lock with Mr. Yoshida's, soy sauce and a boat load of garlic. Then I only ran the dehydrator for 3 hours. I made sure I told the guys that they have to keep it refrigerated because of the higher moisture content, which is what I am a little worried about. Moisture equals bacteria.

Jerky came out of perfect though! Big hit with everyone, so far!
Again... thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top