Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 3:19:31 PM EDT
hey guys, im joining the local masonic lodge and ive been helping in the kitchen the past few weeks, and the guy that runs the kitchen seems to go with premade frozen stuff from Gordon Food Services and for the main course they heat it up and for the desert they just plate it. id like to increase the freshness of the desserts and so I volunteered to make dessert in about two weeks, I cant make everything from scratch due to their small kitchen/funding but I can use premade and fresh stuff together. I was thinking something simple since they are not foodies like me. ive got a recipe where I slice strawberries, pour in a shot of grand manier and a cup of sugar and it makes its own juice you might say (I think macerated ? ) , so the first one that comes to mind is probably two pound cakes or angel food cakes, your off the shelf ones, slice them to yield we will say 30 plates, and then doo the macerated strawberries on top with either fresh or store bought whip cream. pretty much a keep it simple approach.

what quick desserts can you think of. and I would shy away from ice cream as the desserts can sit out for 15-30 minutes before they get to them so the icecream would be messy and melt
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sahara

...........sorry, had to.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The easiest thing is to order a sheet cake from your local bakery.  Most bakeries have a KopyKake machine (it looks like a photo enlarger) and allows the decorator to project images onto cakes for tracing over with icing.  You could provide the baker with your logo and have it drawn in icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sahara

...........sorry, had to.
View Quote
Sonoran, Mohave, Great Basin, Chihuahuan would be more practical.

As a real answer, I'm trying to think of what some of the better "industrial" desserts the DFACs serve.

I think I'd have to go with the sheet cake idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Fresh cobbler, any fruit. Let them scoop their own ice cream if they want it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the fraternity.
I have brought home made cookies and a bucket of ice cream for dessert and it was a hit. My wife even helped out and made the cookies that day, while I was at work so I didn't have to take day old cookies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
man, make it simple

cakes (or cupcakes) are super simple and SUPER cheap.  All baking is cheap.  (sugar, flour, water, etc)

There are a million cake recipes and fresh cake is golden

BTW, fresh warm bread is like the greatest thing evah.  And homemade bread is basically free (ingredients wise, labor not so much)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top