Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
what did you cook today? (Page 33 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Boston butt on the smoker.  it's at 142 degrees ATM and the Bourbon is flowing.  Gonna be a drunk night....
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The chicken was a stir fry, Marinated in some good Tamari, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil (toasted), ginger,black pepper, sweet chili sauce and some corn starch

Onions, mushrooms, carrots, spinach and bok choy.

Not bad
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Meat sauce aka "Sunday Gravy" served over a bed of polenta with Italian Sausages on the side. Spinach salad.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Steak time...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Pork Lo Mein.

The pork was a single very large seared boneless pork chop from two days ago. Huge size but no fat and tough as hell and not much flavor (a perfect candidate for stir frying).

Matchstick-cut the chop as well as all the veggies (carrots, celery, bok choy, cabbage, onion). Meat marinated in soy and fish sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and dry sherry then stir-fried with garlic and ginger root.

No lo mein noodles so I used a half-pound of whole wheat spaghetti.

During final toss added a bit of sesame oil and oyster sauce. Sriracha for a little heat.

Not bad. WW spaghetti gives ya horrendous gas a few hours later, though.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Did a copy cat recipe of PF Chang's "Chicken Lettuce Wraps".

Seasoned 2lbs of ground pork to marinate overnight for Pork and Shrimp Wonton's for tomorrow.
Will do Wonton Soup and freeze the remaining Wontons for soup or use for Red Chili sauce Wonton's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:06:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#8]
Was going through my starch drawer, found about 1.25 cups lentils and 3 dried ancho chiles.  Reconstituted the chiles, pressed some garlic, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp cumin. Blended the chiles and garlic with what was left of some salsa (about 1 tbsp) and some tomato paste. Put in the instant pot with 1/2 cup of diced cooked bacon. I have no idea if it'll be any good, I am playing a game to use up all the food in my house before going to the grocery store again.

Edited, pretty good. Better than just plain lentils.

I fried some red salmon filets to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Lentils are a family favorite. Curried or Italian style with Italian sausage are the usual default formats.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've missed a few days, Taco's beans and rice yesterday. Tonight was a special night. My oldest son and his wife are moving to Utah for the duration of this thing to save money by living at her parents ranch while working online. I had them over to dinner. I made some of his favorite things.:)

Homemade Caesar salad, Houstons hawaiian style marinated ribeye steaks. Fully loaded baked potatoes; zucchini with parmigian cheese, cheddar bay biscuits. Blueberry loaf cake, and his favorite appetizer ever, jalapeno popper dip.

I think he's doing the right thing to save 3K a month on rent and utilities right now, I'll just miss him being close.
I am not looking at real estate near where he is.

#Iam

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Lentils are a family favorite. Curried or Italian style with Italian sausage are the usual default formats.
View Quote

@billyhill
I have hated beans most of my life. I love lentils though. I also cook them either curried or in Italian Soup. (search Carrabba's sausage and lentil soup, alter to taste)

What Italian style are you referring to? I'm open to try new ideas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

@billyhill
I have hated beans most of my life. I love lentils though. I also cook them either curried or in Italian Soup. (search Carrabba's sausage and lentil soup, alter to taste)

What Italian style are you referring to? I'm open to try new ideas.
View Quote

@CajunMojo
Carraba's inspired my "italian style" lentil. I usually run a lower proportion of sausage. No real recipe. Onions, peppers, celery and carrots in a chicken stock. Tomatoes added when lentils are tender.

Its time to make lentils again...

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
"Work It Down" Chicken Minestrone. As in "work down" leftover and half-used fresh produce in the fridge.

And so...

In a large soup pot sauteed a chopped onion and a large crushed garlic clove in olive oil. Added three large sliced carrot and maybe half a head's worth of sliced celery along with a quarter head of thinly sliced cabbage. When all those veggies were soft added 3 cans of drained/rinsed beans (2 Great Northern, 1 Garbanzo), a cup of leftover spaghetti sauce, 2 peeled and diced russet potatoes, a handful of frozen peas, 1/2 cup green lentils, some unsalted chicken stock, and some extra water. Seasoned with a bay leaf and some black pepper. No salt...diners are free to salt their own portions if needed.

Simmered for about 90 minutes. Then added a large chicken breast and simmered for another hour. Chicken breast was removed, shredded with 2 forks, then put back into the soup along with a large scoop of leftover mashed potatoes to work as a thickener (excellent).

I was going to add some chopped fresh spinach at the end but forgot.

The result was a HUGE pot of nicely thickened soup brimming with vegetables, beans, and chicken. Topped portions with freshly grated parmesan and served with crusty bread. Very satisfying lunch and had another bowl for dinner.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Javak] [#14]
Persian Rice with Beef and Tomato, aka Lubia Polow

1/2 onion, diced fine
2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1/2 lb ground beef
1 lb green bean, cut to 1/4" pieces
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbs tomato paste, diluted in 1 cup hot water
1 cup rice, rinsed
1 tbp turmeric
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of saffron, grind fine and dissolved in 1 tbs of hot water

I used 12" nonstick pan.  But anything big enough should work.

Sweat onion and garlic, then add beef and brown.
Throw everything else in, mix, cover and simmer until rice is done.  Stir occasionally.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Let cook until bottom is slightly burned.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#15]
Started some pork belly burnt ends a little bit ago. Been craving them for a while. Enjoying a nice coffee stout from a local brewery while I wait.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now time for the magic to happen!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Almost!!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All done!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#16]
Attachment Attached File

Lettuce wraps again.  3 times in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Grilled some pork steaks and sausage the other day. I haven’t had Asian food since all this crap started, so today I chopped up some of my leftover meat, a few fresh veggies, and made lo mein. Came out great!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
hmmmmmm, Lo Mein. Looks good.

Last night we had thin fried pork chops and biscuits. Tonight grilled pork Tandoori with roasted cauliflower and zucchini. Tomorrow night is something Chinese and the last of that pork loin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The Girlfriend wanted burgers tonight. We like simple burgers with Few toppings.  Usually that means smash burgers with sautéed onions, pickles, American cheese, sesame buns and mustard. Tonight we switched it up with a regular burger, arugula, chipotle mayo, and pepper jack on an onion roll.

Didn’t suck

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Fried wontons and boiled dumplings
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Oklahoma Onion Burger

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Wednesday's lunch: Vietnamese Restaurant-Style Grilled Lemongrass Pork (Thit Heo Nuong Xa), vegetable fried rice, and green salad.

Recipe called for a pound of boneless pork shoulder steak 1/2 inch thick cut into 3-4" pieces. Didn't have any but we did have three very thick boneless pork chops that because they're so lean they're like eating shoe leather. And so I gave marinating them a shot.

Brown Sugar, oil, soy and fish sauce, shallots, onions, garlic, black pepper, chopped lemongrass, and the addition of some grated ginger root all blended into a brown yucky-looking but awesome-smelling marinade.  Marinaded for about 2 hours prior to grilling.

Well, it wasn't bad. Still tough as hell. When a recipe says "marinate for 1 hour but you can marinate overnight in the fridge" take a hint and overnight it.

We had plenty of fried rice leftover and a couple of pieces of pork so I sliced it into small cubes and voila pork fried rice.

(source: Viet World Kitchen)
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Today's lunch: linguine with white clam sauce!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Tomorrow's lunch will be pan-fried fish sandwiches using up some cod pieces.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#25]
First brisket flat yesterday. Needed a little more time but was still pretty good. 5lbs. WSM hovered around 260. Took it to 150 over KBB and hickory chunks then wrapped. Removed at 195 and put it in the cooler for about 3.5 hours.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
First brisket flat yesterday. Needed a little more time but was still pretty good. 5lbs. WSM hovered around 260. Took it to 150 over KBB and hickory chunks then wrapped. Removed at 195 and put it in the cooler for about 3.5 hours.

https://i.imgur.com/aBq4W8F.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oIMWtUJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2P2grFo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gxP61R5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aYk6XmB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S6wEmMp.jpg
View Quote

WOW that looks awesome!

I'm about to roast some peppers and tomatillos and trim a pork butt to make pork chili verde.
I'm not sure if I want to ovenroast peppers then pan sear the pork or fire up the grill outside and flame roast every thing then crock pot.
I'm leaning toward grill for the smokiness.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Willz:

WOW that looks awesome!

I'm about to roast some peppers and tomatillos and trim a pork butt to make pork chili verde.
I'm not sure if I want to ovenroast peppers then pan sear the pork or fire up the grill outside and flame roast every thing then crock pot.
I'm leaning toward grill for the smokiness.
View Quote

I vote grill if the weather is good!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Chicken and sausage pastalaya, with purple hull peas and biscuits. Normally use pork butt for this dish, but was in the mood for chicken today. Came out great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Tonight we did steaks at my parents house.  My butcher friend at work told me they got in some prime ribeyes, and were selling them for the choice price.  I snagged a few and we did them on my dad's blackstone griddle.  

Mine was around medium, not the med rare I was shooting for.  It was still a great steak, but I found it to be a little greasy.  Maybe that's not the right word.  I'm used to lower end steaks; that's normally all we can get down here.  

I maybe buy another one and try a reverse sear on it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Homemade Mac 'n' Cheese (lots of breadcrumb/butter crunchy topping!), steamed broccoli florets, and a green salad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Got up at 8AM  and started cooking.  Made lunch for some old friends. Chef's braised beef with dark beer, mashed potatoes,  and roasted Brussels sprouts. Low and slow. Now I need a nap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Had some chicken in the fridge, so I pan seared it, cooked down an onion, and made fajitas.  They were quite tasty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Meatloaf
Mashed potatoes
Steamed vegetables. Fresh, not frozen (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Me and the boy ground some chuck up at home and grilled burgers yesterday.  Today beef stir fry with flatiron steak.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Just started a batch of Subnet's chili from this recipe

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Drunken-midnight-chili-con-carne-Texas-style-Cookalong-/5-2046218/?page=1

2.5 hours to go until it's finished.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Chicken tacos
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Surf n Turf baby!

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Meatloaf
Mashed potatoes
Steamed vegetables. Fresh, not frozen (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini)
View Quote

Almost the exact same.

Meatloaf

1# beef, 1# pork

Start with 2 onions finely diced, I used sweet maui, because that's all that was left.
grate 2 peeled carrots, dice 2 stalks of celery, dice a half of an orange Bell pepper, it's what I had! This was a cleaning out everything before another massive shop for food.

Saute the veg in a splash of oil, add salt and pepper, and I used some dried thyme. Add in garlic right before it's finished. I pressed in a half a packet of garlic from the refrigerated case. Whole cloves, in packets. I don't ever use this, but garlic is scarce here. <--while that was going I added 2 eggs, beef stock, milk, Worcestershire panko, salt and pepper to the meat in a bowl. Heat off the veg, then added the whole pan to the meat. gently stirring to combine, then into loaf pans to hold.

Those fuckers wouldn't cleanly drop out of the loaf pans onto a sheet pan, so I said fuck it, and pans and all, upside down on the sheet pan into the oven.

I made my usual meatloaf glaze. Ketchup, honey and chipolte adobo. After about 10 minutes, I easily removed the loaf pans, and added the glaze.

Mashed potatoes were made from gold potatoes, a kin to red potatoes. I finished them with half and half, the rest of my butter and sour cream.

Then I cleaned out the last of my zucchini, over very high heat in saute pan, garlic, salt and pepper. last pat of butter to keep things moving. I cut them into crescents,maybe 1/8"? They were actually my favorite part of the meal.

My next shop is going to be massive.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Catfish couvillon, lima beans, and potato salad.

Attachment Attached File

This is the meal the local café cooks every Friday. Mine isn’t quite as good as theirs, but tasty nonetheless. This was the first time i’ve made a roux successfully.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Did some smoked brown sugar glazed salmon.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorWester] [#41]
12-13 lbs of summer sausage. I used Owens SS mix, 7 1/2 lbs 80-20 burger and 5 lbs of pork sirloin. Added hi-temp pepper jack
and ECA for tang. Still have 6 chubs in the smoker finishing up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#42]
The wife and I made a keto version with low carb bread of the Woody’s Lunchbox 3 cheese grilled cheese from Disney World, but we added bacon.

Attachment Attached File

Recipe from Disney
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Potato, leek, and kale soup. Grew the Kale in the backyard. Looks like we will be eating less meat going forward.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Took a day off today. Quick fridge pickles this morning. Left over pulled pork for lunch. Sous vide pork loin for dinner.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Italian sausage sangwiches with peppers, onions, olives, marinara, and cheese.

Messy
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Penne pasta a la vodka, garlic knots and a Caesar salad.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Sunday: Chinese restaurant-style chicken with broccoli in brown sauce

Today: Zucchini Quiche
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Yesterday: Linguine al pesto and mixed greens salad

Today: Sloppy Joes and Crispy Oven Fries
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#49]
I cook at least once, every damn day, usually twice, and sometimes three times.  I don't keep up here day by day because I generally don't even know what day it is anymore.

Last night I made corn dogs for the first time in my life. So thought I'd post about that.

I had a Costco sized package of hot dogs, leftover from a work event from weeks ago, and needed that refrigerator space back. I thought about throwing them away.. but that would be wasteful. Hot dogs aren't something that I offer at home. Ballgames, sure. special occasions and kid parties, ok. I don't buy or offer hot dogs as a meal here. But there they were, taking up prime refrigerator real estate, and making much more reasonable food not fit on my shelf... So I googled recipes, and corn dogs popped up. Why not? Kids aren't going to the fair this year. Or, anywhere else.

I had to pick up cornmeal, not something I usually have on hand. So while at the grocery to get that, went by the deli, [lightbulb] and bought an inch thick slice of boarshead American cheese, and went all in.

2C Cornmeal
2C Flour
1/2 C sugar
6tbaking powder
1/2t salt
2 eggs
2C milk

Mix that all up, pour into a tall glass in batches until 1" from top

Heat oil to 350 degrees in a wide and deep skillet. I used a quart of oil.

Stick skewers, cut to size to fit into the pan, into the raw, dry all beef hot dogs, immerse into the glass full of batter, making sure everything was 100% coated, and quickly put onto the oil.

I had read that things work better if this is cold, so put the cheese slices in the freezer.... probably way too early, because they were too frozen to take in a skewer.... So they were battered, and fried without a stick.

Then I went all in with french fries...I never fry anything, and I was fry queen tonight.

My son brought home some take out, top tier dim sum, and I had this fried stuff... A good time was had by all, but what a mash up.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Today's lunch (Thursday) shall be PASTA FAZOOL!

(representative photo)

Page / 83
what did you cook today? (Page 33 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top