Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2011 12:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packingXDs] [#2]
I settled on Kershaw Shun (stainless). I worked as a butcher and tried many of the staples of the knife world and none of them really impressed me. Either the ergos sucked, or they were a pain to get an edge on, or the edge didn't hold well. I first bought a  Santoku. It was razor sharp, great ergos, just the right size, etc. The edge held for a fair while, and was back to a razor after a couple seconds on a steel.

I now own:

6" Santoku

Boning Knife

Utility Knife

Paring Knife

Steak Knives (4)

All are Shun. All are SS except the steak knives, which I bought most recently. It seems they discontinued the series. Not a big deal, but I like the looks of SS better. Not too mention I find them easier to clean since the handle/blade are a seamless single piece with smooth contours.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Lamson Sharp stamped set for the wife, she is very happy with it.

USA Made, not to expensive and they can take a beating, even with rosewood handles.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 2:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edb66] [#4]

All you really need is a chefs knife and a bread knife; After that the sky is the limit.

Obviously I'm all over the freakin map here. Some of these are gone and some I'm still trying to get set up right.

The ones I use the most

Japanese Chefs Knives Kagayaki VG10 240mm Gyuto(chefs knife) This thing is a fuckin razor blade It's thin, light and just cuts like magic.

Shun classic Left handed wide blade santoku. It's thicker than the first one and lacks a point but still a nice knife, lifetime free sharpening too!

Forschner Fibrox bread knife. $23 bucks if it gets dull I'll throw it out and buy another.

Chan Chi Kee 1302 vegetable slicer. just cause I wanted to learn to use a Chinese cleaver.

You can't go wrong with the Fibrox line as long as you can sharpen them or have them sharpened.

My take on the difference between German and Japanese knives. As said Germans are thicker and heavier and made of softer steel and more suited to up and down chopping motions. While Japanese tend to be thinner and lighter and made of hard steel, they are more suited to back or forth slicing and in fact Up and down chopping with a thin hard blade is a good way to chip the edge.

Don't buy a set and don't buy carbon unless you and everyone who has access to them know how to care for them and will do so.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Wusthof guy through and through.
I actually got my first after entering a drawing at a cutlery store when I got my first - a long slicer.
I have been accumulating them ever since as funding and need allows. I get them alot cheaper
at a restaurant supply house than places like Williams-Sonoma.
My collection is pretty set now, anything new is just 'cuz I want it

All good knives must fit YOUR hand. Balance, feel and weight are all personal preference.
A new buyer would be stupid not to try different brands for this fit and feel.

I like the heft (weight) of Wustys, the full tang, forged construction and the big bolsters.
They sharpen and more importantly hone to a razors edge and keep that edge for a long time.

I like the classic line but they make others Gran Prix etc. - be careful and get the bolstered ones.
Henkels, Mundial and Shun also make good knives.

Always buy "a la carte" never in sets and buy what you will use.  90% of my work is done with a 10" chefs
or Santuko. You really could get by with just thw 10" chefs.

I also have a cleaver (I whack up alot of chickens and game), 4" parer, birds beak parer, boning, flexible fillet,
tomato, bread, small chef, 10" chef, Santuko and a long and short slicer. I also have meat forks and 8 steak knives
bought as a Christmas gift.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Zoomer302:

I'm a Wusthof guy through and through.

I actually got my first after entering a drawing at a cutlery store when I got my first - a long slicer.

I have been accumulating them ever since as funding and need allows. I get them alot cheaper

at a restaurant supply house than places like Williams-Sonoma.

My collection is pretty set now, anything new is just 'cuz I want it

All good knives must fit YOUR hand. Balance, feel and weight are all personal preference.

A new buyer would be stupid not to try different brands for this fit and feel.

I like the heft (weight) of Wustys, the full tang, forged construction and the big bolsters.

They sharpen and more importantly hone to a razors edge and keep that edge for a long time.

I like the classic line but they make others Gran Prix etc. - be careful and get the bolstered ones.

Henkels, Mundial and Shun also make good knives.

Always buy "a la carte" never in sets and buy what you will use.  90% of my work is done with a 10" chefs

or Santuko. You really could get by with just thw 10" chefs.

I also have a cleaver (I whack up alot of chickens and game), 4" parer, birds beak parer, boning, flexible fillet,

tomato, bread, small chef, 10" chef, Santuko and a long and short slicer. I also have meat forks and 8 steak knives

bought as a Christmas gift.

This is gonna be like 9mm vs .45 isn't it?   I don't like bolsters for two reasons, I use the heel of the knife when cutting, and a bolster makes it hard to sharpen the entire blade.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I'll start...

My first recommendation: DO NOT BUY A KNIFE SET!

The only way I'd say to buy a set is if you don't have any knives at all and you really need the steak knives that come with a set. Buy individual knives instead, and find what you like. For one thing, you'll probably want to end up with two chef's knives, since there will always be times when you need more than just one and don't want to wash in between tasks.

One brand that receives almost universal accolades is FORSCHER/VICTORINOX, especially the Fibrox-handle knives. They are cheap, they are very sharp, they have great balance, and they're designed very well for each task. These knives almost always win the "best knife" rating from Cook's Illustrated. The combination of price and performance make them well-suited for people just buying knives too since they won't break the bank. The Fibrox handles aren't very aesthetic, but they feel very comfortable and give you a solid grip even when your hands are wet or you're cutting a fatty piece of meat.

So far, I only own one: The 12" granton-edge slicing knife. It is very sharp and absolutely awesome for carving large cuts of meat such as roast or brisket. The blade is thin, it tapers from bolster to tip, and is a dream to use. The handle is large and comfortable - I can't imagine another knife significantly besting this one.

Other cheap knives that have been favorably discussed are the Bakers & Chef's knives at Sam's Club. They sell a 2-pack of 7" Santoku knives with granton edge for around $15. These have been very good all-around knives that I reach for. I liked them so much, I also bought the boning and utility knife set. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they're made by Forschner.

So what about Chef's knives? There are so many options that it's difficult to give a particular recommendation. Forschner is very highly rated of course, but then there's the whole German vs. Japanese knife philosophy. German knives tend to have thick blades of steel of moderate hardness, while Japanese knives are thinner and much harder. The latter will keep an edge longer, but is more difficult to sharpen. Few people have tried both, and so it's difficult to say what's better - it's much about personal preference. I ended up with a Japanese knife, the Tojiro DP-F808 based on this review. I have never handled a sharper knife when I first got it - it's absolutely amazing, and I like the thinner profile, as it makes the knife lighter. The one thing I don't like about it is the very sharp pointy transition at the very back of the heel/bolster area. It hasn't cut me, but it's poked my finger a few times.

For paring knives, I advocate Forschner again. You can't beat the features and the low price ($4) of their paring knives. You'll want a few of those for sure.

So my knife collection consists of basically these knives:
Chef's knife
Santoku
Slicing knife
Boning knife
Utility knife
Bread knife (el cheapo, I don't use it often)
Paring knives  

I agree with you completely.  i wish the sam's stuff came from the u.s., but brazil is good too.  i am a big fan of santoku style knives, and have given them to many of my friends.  

-tom
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll play,

not a fan of the mega buck chef knife,
simply because  I never learned how to use one properly,,,,

(that's because  I spent 19yrs in a meat dept.)

I'm slowly learning, and have been using a basic knife on ocassion,

Forschner is good, but most that I have used do not hold an edge well with heavy use, (it will do well in an avg kitchen)

best knifes, as far as breaking, boning or general meat/game cutting ( and cutting veg too) is the kasco brand, used to be labeled as hookeye brand,

linky

inexpensive, but not cheaply made,

make sure , no matter what you buy, that you learn to use a good steel,

if you need a stone, get a norton tri stone, they are the bomb, (use food grade mineral oil w/ them, and use them sparingly)

JMHO

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rlc:
I'll play,

not a fan of the mega buck chef knife,
simply because  I never learned how to use one properly,,,,

(that's because  I spent 19yrs in a meat dept.)

I'm slowly learning, and have been using a basic knife on ocassion,

Forschner is good, but most that I have used do not hold an edge well with heavy use, (it will do well in an avg kitchen)

best knifes, as far as breaking, boning or general meat/game cutting ( and cutting veg too) is the kasco brand, used to be labeled as hookeye brand,

linky

inexpensive, but not cheaply made,

make sure , no matter what you buy, that you learn to use a good steel,

if you need a stone, get a norton tri stone, they are the bomb, (use food grade mineral oil w/ them, and use them sparingly)

JMHO

when i have to dress my edges up, i usually use crock sticks, then switch to a nice steel for a razor edge.  norton has made fine abrasives for many years.  is a tri-stone a pyramid-shaped whetstone with a little wooden cradle on it?  saw one once just like that at a deer camp.  screwed off to the utility table in the cleaning area, so it wouldn't walk off.  

-tom
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m new to properly equipped knives.

Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef knife
Wusthof Classic Santoku and Paring knives
FORSCHER/VICTORINOX Steak knives and 12” Slicer

I'm still on the lookout for more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 11:09:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#11]
<Please review sharpeners in a separate thread. Let's keep this one focused on knives - Z>

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm wanting a good ceramic chefs knife 10 or 12 inch.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Aogami Super Series are what I used when I used to cook for a living. Only a chef's knife, paring knife, and filet knife are necessary. These knives take a bit more "care", but keep a sharper edge and take an edge easier than anything I have ever owned be it Wusthof, Shun, etc.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
I'm wanting a good ceramic chefs knife 10 or 12 inch.....

Any particular reason? Ceramic is more or less just for vegetables. They don't do so well with bone, etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
We just got a set of Chicago Cutlery knives. For a little over a hundred bucks, I'm impressed, so sharp you can shave with them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#17]
We purchased a complete Cutco set from a relative that was working their way thru school. All in all, not a bad set, but we mostly only use the steak knives anymore. (stay the hell away from me grammar nazis)

I've ended up buying a few Henkels...

7" Santoku

5" Santoku

4" Paring

(oh and a big-assed cleaver)

I also have a few knives that I hung on to from when I had a retail cutlery store...

Chef Works 10" Chef

Chef Works 6" Utility

My pride is an Al Mar 10" Gyuto. I tried a Japanese Gyuto but it was way too light for my preference. The Al Mar has a bit more heft and it has a v-grind edge.

Everything I have I like becaude they're comfortably to my hand, they balance well and they're easy to sharpen.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Dexter-Russell w/Sani-safe handles

Good steel, economical, dishwasher safe.  

What more could you ask for in a kitchen tool?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Are the Victorinox Forschner knives typically available locally anywhere (like Target, Walmart, etc.) or are they mostly found online and specialty shops? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Voodoo17] [#20]
Lucky enough to pick up Gerber Balance Plus knives on a store close-out sale.  8" chef's and a 6" chefs.  6" slicer plus a 6" serrated.3" paring.  A Sabatier, made in France, 12 " ham slicer.  Mad at myself for not watching the store stock closer.  Edited to add that I did not pay more than $25 for any of them.  Local store was final sale for close out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: niceguymr] [#21]
Bob Kramer Knives

Why?  Because I happen to personally know one of the world's leading kitchen knife experts and he says it's the best.  That's why.

You can buy their peasant line of knives from Sur La Table, but their 'real deal' stuff is only available by lottery or auction.

Me personally?  I use Wusthof Classic series because that's all I can afford

ETA:  I'm not a pro or expert by any means but the one thing I've learned is that I will never by a block set again.  All you need are 2 or 3 really good knives in the kitchen.  A large chefs, a pairing knife, and maybe something in the middle.  This of course doesn't take into account a nice set of steak knives.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:
We just got a set of Chicago Cutlery knives. For a little over a hundred bucks, I'm impressed, so sharp you can shave with them.

I've got a set of those before the Chi-com's took them over.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Popo:

There is a small Mom & Pop Kitchen Supply store down the street. They run it out of their home, and they recommended the Dexter-Russell brand. I haven't needed to buy any knives yet, but I did buy some spatulas/turners from them. If the knives are of similar construction and comfort, then they are more than adequate for most kitchen needs...plus they are made in the USA. The local supply store also seems to give 25-33% off list, making it an even better deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishngrits] [#24]
I'm a professional chef.  My go to knives are Glesatins or Globals, both Japanese knives.  I've used,  own, or owned pretty much every knife mentioned in this thread, and those are the two brands I keep going back to.  They're lighter than the traditional German-style steel, like Wusthof or Henckels, and I find that they stay sharp longer, and are easier to sharpen.  

I mainly use a Santoku-style knife for most things, cutting vegetables, portioning meat and fish, etc...Some other knives I find useful, would be a good boning/filet knife, paring knife, utility knife/slicer, and a serrated bread knife.  My favorite serrated knife is an offset serrated model made by F. Dick.  It's only about $30, but it works as well as my $100 Global serrated knife for most things, and if I really fuck it up, I'll toss it and buy another one.  If you're really into heavy kitchen work, breaking down whole animals, bones, etc., get a heavy duty cleaver.  Even in a professional environment, I rarely have use for one, more than a few times a year.

If you're a real knife whore, Korin's website has the goods.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]
We got a set of Wusthof's from Bed Bath and Beyond... they were pretty nice and sharp. We've still got them. They don't take well to being used for anything other than kitchen knives... like opening boxes, cans, and other stuff.

Fiancee decided that we needed different knives so she bought the Pampered Chef set. Those are some really sharp knives that hold and edge well. They too are sadly being used to open boxes and envelopes and cut plastic. I stopped fighting and no longer care.

I tended to go to the cheap Chinese Cleaver that I bought. Now I don't know where it is... don't care either. It's not my kitchen and I don't cook much.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#26]
<Please keep comments on-topic. Thanks - Z>

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#27]

^^^^^

this. i steel them before i use them and they get plenty sharp. i'd rather impress someone with my dishes. couple of chefs, couple of filets, couple of paring knifes, various boners and utilities, a nice serrated bread knife, couple of heavy butchers and i'm gtg.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#29]

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#30]

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StogerMan] [#31]
+1  Wusthof we have pretty much a whole set of them.  Holds an edge and feels good in my hand. Dexter-Russell makes good inexpensive every day knives. They make one of the best oyster knives made. We could never break them, no matter how tuff the oysters were .
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I have some nice knives, and if I can put and keep a good edge on them I keep them, and if I can't I get rid of them. Have chef, boning, bread, clever, lots of filet knives, and butchering knives, I use them all for different things, but if I could have only one, chef knife is it!

I just got a knife for skinning that has replaceable surgical blades and it was awesome on the last deer I killed.

Need a nice Santoku and Gyuto and would be willing to drop a few bucks, sugestions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Tag for later

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
Are the Victorinox Forschner knives typically available locally anywhere (like Target, Walmart, etc.) or are they mostly found online and specialty shops? Thanks

It looks like Bloomingdale's carries them, and an assortment of specialty kitchen / knife shops.  Use their store locator on their website and check the cutlery box to see what's near you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#35]
I use the cheap Henckels from Target.  I have a few sets, so that if a set is cycling through the dishwasher, I can still prep food.  The 6" Chefs knives get the most use, anong with paring knives and the 6 and 8" Santoku.

They hold an edge well, and I have a 2" by 6" fine diamond hone to touch them up.  A couple swipes and you can shave paper.

I have a set of Old hickory butcher knives and a cleaver that I use for heavy duty stuff.  It was good enough for Grandma, it is good enough for me.  Ace still sells them.

Knives are tools, not purses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
My knives have been around for a while:

12" Case Bread Knife
10" Case Carving Knife
10" Cattaraugus Cutlery Butcher's Knife
8" Cattaraugus Cutlery Chef's Knife  (3 of them)
8" Case Chef's Knife
6" Cattaraugus Cutlery Chef's Knife (2 of them)
7" F-V santoku
5" F-V santoku
5" "TV special" Ceramic Santoku that is a remarkably good performer on veggies
3" 8" Cattaraugus Cutlery Paring Knife
3.5" Case Paring Knife

Cattaraugus Cutlery closed the doors in the 1960s, and I was fortunate to grow up in a house where "Cat" kitchen knives were the gold standard.  These things LAST.  The Chef's knife is IMO about perfect in terms of thin blade, ergonomic handle, and a steel that holds an edge like none other.  Fortunately, I live about 60 mi south of the old 8" Cattaraugus Cutlery factory location, and Cat knives show up in yard sales, flea markets, and resale shops frequently.  

The Case kitchen knives are SS, and while they are handy they do not come close to holding an edge like the Cat or the F-V santoku.

That "TV special" ceramic santoku came with a ceramic peeler and I find that I go to the ceramic santoku more an more.  I got the set more or less as a gag gift, but I'm amazed at the performance of the two tools for $15, or that's what I understand the price to be.

Noah
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#37]
We have had a large Cutco set we bought in 1994. It has been through all of our children learning to cook. Sometimes, they used them as screwdrivers. Grrrr! Now, they have all left the nest. Anyway, earlier this year, I sent them in to be sharpened (free lifetime). Some pieces had melted handles, broken tips, and generally... mildly abused. haha. To my surprise, they replaced every single piece that wasn't perfect. Made the darn things brand new again. Made them v-e-r-y sharp. All... NO CHARGE! No questions asked. It was an expensive set in 1994. I appreciate what they did, and am very happy today.

ETA- They didn't even charge for return shipping.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seattleducati] [#38]
I pretty much stick to Wusthof classics.  I've found that it's always best to buy them individually when they go on sale.
4 - 3" paring
8" chef's knife (wide)...someone jacked my standard 8"
10" chef's knife
10" bread knife
1 - carving knife

I like them because they fit my hand, balance well for me and keep their edge a lot longer than something like the Globals I've had in the past.
I also have another 3 piece set of japanese knives that were given to me, can't remember the brand, they are sharp as hell but do dull a lot quicker than the Wusthofs.  This included a boning/fish knife, butcher's and santoku.

I also have a 4 piece set of stainless Henckles steak knives that have been wonderful as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 9:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio] [#39]

I just ordered a nakiri and a couple of Forschners; we'll see how they are when they get in. Cutlery & More has great prices.

They are in, great knives.
That Nakiri is a wonderful tool.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 10:11:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
We purchased a complete Cutco set from a relative that was working their way thru school. All in all, not a bad set, but we mostly only use the steak knives anymore. (stay the hell away from me grammar nazis)

The Cutco set we got after we got married still works fine.  We haven't had to send any of them in for any reason, and they (shock!) cut everything I need them to cut, and do it well.

I love my cutco.

Has a sharp edge that lasts a really long time.
Made in the USA
Has an awesome guarantee.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#42]
Originally Posted By Noah_Zark:
My knives have been around for a while:

12" Case Bread Knife
10" Case Carving Knife
10" Cattaraugus Cutlery Butcher's Knife
8" Cattaraugus Cutlery Chef's Knife  (3 of them)
8" Case Chef's Knife
6" Cattaraugus Cutlery Chef's Knife (2 of them)
7" F-V santoku
5" F-V santoku
5" "TV special" Ceramic Santoku that is a remarkably good performer on veggies
3" 8" Cattaraugus Cutlery Paring Knife
3.5" Case Paring Knife

Cattaraugus Cutlery closed the doors in the 1960s, and I was fortunate to grow up in a house where "Cat" kitchen knives were the gold standard.  These things LAST.  The Chef's knife is IMO about perfect in terms of thin blade, ergonomic handle, and a steel that holds an edge like none other.  Fortunately, I live about 60 mi south of the old 8" Cattaraugus Cutlery factory location, and Cat knives show up in yard sales, flea markets, and resale shops frequently.  

The Case kitchen knives are SS, and while they are handy they do not come close to holding an edge like the Cat or the F-V santoku.

That "TV special" ceramic santoku came with a ceramic peeler and I find that I go to the ceramic santoku more an more.  I got the set more or less as a gag gift, but I'm amazed at the performance of the two tools for $15, or that's what I understand the price to be.

Noah

Basically, if the say Cat... they are the ones I use (top three, bottom two, everything on the right). The Japanese knives are my favorite really but I haven't really wrapped my brain around how to sharpen them, so they are sort of box queens (I quit ahead, they are stupid sharp still). Other than those and  the ceramic of course, and the "once sharp" cheapo fillet in the middle, they all reach an excellent point on the durability-sharpness continuum (i.e. I use less angle on the bowie etc.) with normal non-aggressive stone work. The top one is the go to knife for 80% - I have no idea what model Cat. it is, but in spite of its thin blade, phenolic handle, and non-rustproof edge, it does everything better than anything I have. The top several through the Gerber, the bottom two (cat pairing and fillet) and the Cat. skinner will shave you as pictured. I have not use the Machete for food prep, and don't plan to, but it sneaked in. I could send the Gerber in for a new one without the chip, but it is mine for 25 years and I'm not that guy. I have a bunch of other land field knives, but 85% take that Cat skinner. Fishing the bottom one is the only way I'll go.

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#43]

this^^^. i cook every day.i use a couple of 8" chef's, 3 filets and a couple of paring knives. steel them before i use them and they stay sharp. have a foerstner butcher knife for when i break down a rib roast or a strip loin and a bread knife. really all you need. i always figured it was better to learn how to use what you've got.

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I really like my school set,for the money they are hard to beat.
http://www.mercercutlery.com/professional-cutlery
The brand name is mercer.I want to say the most expensive knife was the 8" chef knife at $36.

They are NSF rated and are well balanced.

The grip is actually made to be held.

Other knives in my set

3" paring knife

3"tourne knife

8" bread knife

10" cake knife

I also have a 7" shun santoku that never gets used because I like my mercer more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I really like my Japanese knives... unfortunately Kershaw pissed me off about a year ago and now I refuse to buy Shun knives (even though I really did love them)...

Any recommendations for knives similar in styling to the Shun knives? I'm in the market for a 10" chef's, the 8" is just a bit too small for some jobs...
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#46]

I bought one of these 7" fillet knives for my FIL about a year ago.  Warther Cutlery...They are a local Ohio company.

The knife has seen heavy use and its still very very sharp.  Also the company will professionally sharpen it for postage.

I'll definitely be picking one up eventually.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#47]
While I am definitely a knife snob in many respects, our favorite knives here are actually a cheap (I think I got them for <$20 on clearance at a Target, years back) Chicago Cutlery set.  Even with Wustoff and a set of knives from the culinary school in the kitchen, those Chicago Cutlery knives are still our go-to set.  Just their regular stainless single piece handle/blade knives.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I am a Wusthoff guy and as a chef it is what I use day in and day out.

These are the knives I use most often. The 2 Japanese knives are from KAI.The company that owns Kershaw and Shun. They were super sharp in the beginning and now dont really hold an edge too too well. I am not impressed and would not buy them again. The cleaver is a Japanese vegetable cleaver I picked up for 7 bucks from an Asian import store near me. The things is super sharp, comfy and I love it. I have also used the Dexter-Russell knives in the industry and for the money that would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Count me as a Shun guy.  Love the balance, the handle, the edge...everything about them.

My Shun Kramer Meiji Chef's knife with Pakkawood handle is the centerpiece of my far too small collection.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Own a full block set of henkels and wusthoffs but global is still on my list. Love the global one piece design and ergonomics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
RECOMMENDATIONS: Knives (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top