Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Had this tonight. It was awesome.

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

Yield: Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts (2 lbs. total)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 packets minute rice, optional
1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
3 scallions, chopped

Directions:

Place chicken in Crock Pot and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.

Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Prepare rice according to package instructions.

In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup water; add to crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken and spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:09:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Metal] [#2]
Just made this one over the weekend.
Will need:
Head of cabbage
1 or 2 leeks
Carrots
3 potatoes
1 large onion, I went with yellow
Chicken broth
Salt
Pepper
Caraway seeds
Sour Cream/Cream Fraiche
1 lb bacon
Parsley  

Peel and chop up the potatoes. I went with irregular sizes. Wash and dice up the leek(s). Finely chop the onion. Rough chop on the carrots, I used 3. Chop up about half of the head of cabbage. Add all of these to the crock pot with 4 cups of chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 tsp of the caraway seeds, more if you like the flavor. Turn it on high, and find something to do for the next 3 1/2 hours. During the last 30 minutes, cook
up the entire pound of bacon, nice and crispy and then dice it up. Dice up a large amount of parsley. Dump both into the crock pot. Take around 1/2 cup of sour cream, maybe a bit more and add to the crock pot, give everything a good mix and let it simmer for another 15 minutes or so. Ladle into some bowls and be ready for a nap afterwards.

May need to add a half cup to a cup of warm water about half way through.

ETA: You can follow the same recipe, but turn the crock on low and just double the time so it is cooking for 7-8 hours, depends on how much time you have.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Carnitas

1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt, or more, to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 pound pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 onions, quartered
2 oranges, juiced
2 limes, juiced
INSTRUCTIONS

In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Season pork loin with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides.
Place garlic, onions, orange juice, lime juice and seasoned pork shoulder into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Remove pork shoulder from the slow cooker and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices; season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to broil. Place carnitas onto a baking sheet and broil until crisp and crusted, about 3-4 minutes.
Serve immediately.

It's still cooking right now, but it smells freaking amazing. I added some chipotle in adobo too, which is why it's so red

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally settled on a chili recipe that is somewhat reminiscent of the stuff I used to get at restaurants as a kid.

5 red peppers (medium to large size, mild).

5 chipotle peppers.

3 cups of water.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

2 tablespoons garlic powder. (I love garlic, you may want less).

1 tablespoon cumin (this is unique, I just really love cumin).

4 pounds cubed beef roast.

Dredge the beef cubes in flour and brown.

In a pot, simmer the dried peppers in the water.

In a blender, add the spices.

Pour the peppers and water into the blender. Puree. The spices get evenly mixed in.

Put the beef in the crock pot on low, add the chili puree on top.

It still isn't quite as thick as I'd like, but it is a lot thicker than the last recipe I put in. I have also tried adding two tablespoons of flour to the blender instead, which also seemed to work okay. If you're cheap you can sub in pinto beans, and if you have meat that's going bad, you can use whatever. I've used the chili paste with chicken, pork, ground beef cubed beef, beans and hominy. It all tastes good.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I finally settled on a chili recipe that is somewhat reminiscent of the stuff I used to get at restaurants as a kid.

5 chipotle peppers.
3 cups of water.
1/2 teaspoon salt.

Pour the peppers and water into the blender. Puree. The spices get evenly mixed in.

It still isn't quite as thick as I'd like, but it is a lot thicker than the last recipe I put in. I have also tried adding two tablespoons of flour to the blender instead, which also seemed to work okay. If you're cheap you can sub in pinto beans, and if you have meat that's going bad, you can use whatever. I've used the chili paste with chicken, pork, ground beef cubed beef, beans and hominy. It all tastes good.
View Quote

When do you put the beans in?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap, I'm so happy I stumbled on this thread

I'll make some contributions here soon that I make on the regular. Some good, some quick n' easy
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By lowcountry:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lowcountry:

Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:

5 chipotle peppers.

3 cups of water.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

I have yet to get crock pot pinto beans to turn out right. The ones near the top of the water are usually underdone. I just boil them separately in a pot until done (usually four hours). I add cooked beans to the meat/chili paste immediately.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher] [#8]
I have yet to get crock pot pinto beans to turn out right. The ones near the top of the water are usually underdone. I just boil them separately in a pot until done (usually four hours). I add cooked beans to the meat/chili paste immediately.

View Quote

Try this one.

Pinto beans in a crock pot

3 cups picked and washed pinto beans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP dry minced onion
1/2 pound diced bacon or 3 TBSP bacon drippings  (you do still keep bacon drippings around to cook with, right?  )
Cover with about 1/2 inch or more of water depending on how much "soup" you want with the beans.

Cook on high for the first hour and then on low for at least 4 more hours.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Zedhead:

Happy everyone enjoyed it :)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HD357:
A cheap meal we make once every 2 weeks or so:

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts
Package of Italian Dressing
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup
Onion (if you have one, don't need it)

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.

Zed - made this last night for the wife and I and also took a plate to my 84 yoa mother. Don't get the leftovers - there weren't any. Put 2 bowls of it down for my dogs and ate it like they were starving. Good stuff man. Thanks !!!!!!!

Happy everyone enjoyed it :)

I made it for dinner tonight, added mixed veggies and noodles for the last half hour. everyone loved it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:00:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLHX2112] [#10]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Try this one.

1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP dry minced onion
1/2 pound diced bacon or 3 TBSP bacon drippings  (you do still keep bacon drippings around to cook with, right?  )

Cover with about 1/2 inch or more of water depending on how much "soup" you want with the beans.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Try this one.

1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP dry minced onion

I wonder what would happen if I added other kinds of meat products along with the bacon or bacon drippings..... smoked ham or smoked turkey or pork roast.......... hmmmm........
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Got this from my ladyfriend.

Stewed Mushrooms

3 "crates" of regular mushrooms

1 stick of butter (maybe 3/4)

2 packets of "zesty" Italian dressing mix (dried)

Throw the butter in and get it warming. When it's melted throw in the spices and the mushrooms and toss around.

Wait five hours with it on low.

Very simple and very good.

With the leftovers, I toss the whole mushrooms in with my bacon and fry a little bit before adding eggs.  Likewise the cooled butter and liquid make a great rice or other sauce.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I make this one at least once a month. I serve it over creamy parm polenta. It's equally delicious over some mashed potatoes.

http://www.eatliverun.com/slow-cooker-beef-short-ribs-in-cabernet-sauce/

Short Ribs

Ingredients
2 ½ cups Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon
3 ½ lbs beef chuck short ribs
2 whole shallots, minced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup beef broth
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp pepper, divided

Directions
Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. When hot, add the short ribs. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the ribs in the pan and brown. This will take about three to four minutes per side. You want them very nice and caramelized.
After the ribs have browned, remove from carefully and set them at the bottom of your slow cooker. Take the pan off the heat briefly to cool down, then return to medium heat and add the minced shallots and diced celery. Sauté for about five minutes until tender, then add the tomato paste. Mash the tomato paste into the veggies using a rubber spatula and continue to sauté on medium heat for another four minutes.
Pour the wine and the beef broth into the skillet and stir. Add the brown sugar, a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of pepper and the flour. Stir well to get rid of any flour clumps.
Bring sauce to a boil, then to a simmer. Pour sauce right over ribs in the slow cooker. Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper on top.
Place lid on slow cooker and cook on HIGH for seven to eight hours or on LOW for 11-12 hours. When done, the meat should literally be falling off the bone.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logan45] [#13]
Gonna try this one soon:  

Crock pot Shredded Beef Tacos

1 (2.5 lb) chuck roast
   1 (14 oz) can beef broth
   1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
   1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
   1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
   1 teaspoon garlic powder
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/4 teaspoon pepper
   Juice of 1 Lime

Combine all ingredients in your crock pot and cook 8 hours on low, or 5-6 hours on high.  Once its fork tender, shred the beef and remove the fat.  Return the beef to the pot and cook an additional 30 minutes.  Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Gonna try this one soon:  

Crock pot Shredded Beef Tacos

1 (2.5 lb) chuck roast
   1 (14 oz) can beef broth
   1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
   1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
   1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
   1 teaspoon garlic powder
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/4 teaspoon pepper
   Juice of 1 Lime

Combine all ingredients in your crock pot and cook 8 hours on low, or 5-6 hours on high.  Once its fork tender, shred the beef and remove the fat.  Return the beef to the pot and cook an additional 30 minutes.  Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
View Quote

Cooked this today, the tacos came out really well.  All the chuck roasts at the store were tiny, so I ended up with a Sirloin Tip roast.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
G
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Had this tonight. It was awesome.

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

Yield: Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts (2 lbs. total)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 packets minute rice, optional
1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
3 scallions, chopped

Directions:

Place chicken in Crock Pot and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.

Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Prepare rice according to package instructions.

In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup water; add to crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken and spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
View Quote

I just made this and it was awesome
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Chicago Italian Beef
made this before good stuff, making it again this weekend

Ingredients

5 lbs rump roast ( do not substitute for a different type roast)

2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef consomme ( Broth)

1 (1 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix

pepperoncini pepper ( 1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)

giardiniera ( 1/2-1 jars)

3 -5 sweet green peppers ( according to size)

1 loaf long thin French bread

Directions

1.Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hours.

2.Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.

3.At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.

4.Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.

5.Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.

6.(Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.

7.Salt to taste.

8.OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.

9.May be frozen when cooked.
http://www.food.com/recipe/chicago-italian-beef-30484
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By flash556:

Chicago Italian Beef

made this before good stuff, making it again this weekend

Ingredients

5 lbs rump roast ( do not substitute for a different type roast)

2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef consomme ( Broth)

1 (1 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix

pepperoncini pepper ( 1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)

giardiniera ( 1/2-1 jars)

3 -5 sweet green peppers ( according to size)

1 loaf long thin French bread

Directions

1.Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hours.

2.Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.

3.At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.

4.Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.

5.Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.

6.(Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.

7.Salt to taste.

8.OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.

9.May be frozen when cooked.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicago-italian-beef-30484
View Quote
You can order this from Portillo's in Chicago as well and they'll ship it to you. Their sandwiches are

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
good bread is key^^^
I cook the green peppers in the broth
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:36:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#20]

good bread is key^^^

View Quote
Good bread makes a BIG difference... that's one thing I dislike about the USA, in most places it's hard to find decent bread. I have a Kroger nearby that has some take-n-bake which fills in pretty well though.

If you're making delicious slow cooker meat and eating it with a loaf of sammich bread, you're doing it wrong Needs something crusty and fresh.

I really gotta find some simple homemade bread recipes, I've never really looked for them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bc5000] [#21]
Stephanie's Slow Cooker Stew

I love this stew and have been making it for several years now. I use lean top round steak. I'll make a double batch and freeze half of it.

Ingredients                                                      
1 pound beef stew meat
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas

Directions
1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves.
2.  In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 5 servings.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flash556] [#22]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Good bread makes a BIG difference... that's one thing I dislike about the USA, in most places it's hard to find decent bread. I have a Kroger nearby that has some take-n-bake which fills in pretty well though.

If you're making delicious slow cooker meat and eating it with a loaf of sammich bread, you're doing it wrong Needs something crusty and fresh.

I really gotta find some simple homemade bread recipes, I've never really looked for them.

View All Quotes
good bread is key^^^

best bread,
try it, not a sub bread but great stuff!
Here is one of the most popular recipes The Times has ever published, courtesy of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread?_r=1&

amazing bread.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
best bread,
try it, not a sub bread but great stuff!
Here is one of the most popular recipes The Times has ever published, courtesy of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread?_r=1&

amazing bread.
View Quote

Yes it is, especially with crock pot soups and stews.  I make it all the time over the winter.

I've also substituted 1 cup of wheat or rye flour for a cup of the white flour with excellent results.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Short Ribs

Ingredients

2 lbs short ribs
   1 tbsp coconut oil
   1/2 cup red wine
   1/2 cup water
   1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
   1/4 teaspoon onion powder
   1/4 teaspoon rosemary
   Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

Heat a pan over medium high heat and add coconut oil
   Dry your short ribs off and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and rosemary
   Heat the oil until very hot
   Place the short ribs in the oil
   Sear the ribs on all sides until they are lightly browned – about 1 to 2 minutes
   Place the ribs in the slow cooker
   Add the wine and water
   Cook on low for 8 hours or until super tender
   Shred short ribs and serve topped with a fried egg
View Quote

I used Douro for the wine part of the recipe.  This turned out really good.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#28]

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:
I've got this one in the crock pot right now.  It smells really good so far!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Roadhawk:

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Recipe

I've got this one in the crock pot right now.  It smells really good so far!
That's waaaaaaay too much work for a slow cooker recipe...

ETA: I know it's heresy, but for a fast-prep and tasty stew I've used the Campbells Tavern-style pot roast sauce. Second batch leftovers are in the fridge. It's actually very good, I just chop up a 2lb ish roast into chunks, salt and pepper it, chop up an onion and a couple of potatoes, throw in a small bag of baby carrots, dump the sauce in, mix it up and cook for 12 hours. I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I make this about once a month. It's nothing fancy, but it sticks to your ribs.

1 lb pinto or whatever beans you prefer soaked overnight
1 lb bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 yellow onion, chopped
A handful of Guero chilis sliced into rings
3-4 chopped carrots
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
Salt & pepper to your liking
Enough chicken broth to cover the whole mess

Drain and rinse the soaked beans, put it all in the pot, set to low, and go away for about 8-10 hours.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I have this in the crock pot right now.  Smells pretty good.  I left the nuts out.

cups broccoli florets* (8 ounces)

cups cauliflower florets* (16 ounces)

14 ounce jar Alfredo pasta sauce

ounces process Swiss cheese, torn (1 1/2 cups)

large chopped onion

teaspoon dried thyme, oregano, or basil, crushed

1/4

teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2

cup ranch-flavor sliced almonds (optional)
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brosome] [#32]
Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole

Loaf of Challah or Sour Dough bread - sliced to medium sized cubes.
6 eggs
2 cups of milk
Couple of tablespoons of Nutella
cinnamon
vanilla extract
a little salt
Fruit of your choice (Blueberries work great but bananas, strawberries, raspberries ect all work just as well)

Wisk the eggs, milk, Nutella, cinnamon, vanilla and salt together. Poor over the cubed up bread. Slow cooker on high for 2 hours stirring it every now and then. Add the fruit in during the last 15-20minutes so it gets warm. More Nutella on top when its done optional.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Just a bump to keep it out of the archives.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By BigFellor:

Just a bump to keep it out of the archives.
View Quote
Thanks for doing that. I use (stuff from) this thread about once a month!

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I made Zed's Italian cream cheese chicken way back on page one and needed a quick refresher.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By BigFellor:

I made Zed's Italian cream cheese chicken way back on page one and needed a quick refresher.  
View Quote
I do believe I'll make it this well as week, it's been awhile for me

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#37]
This morning I made Italian beef with some shoulder, beef broth, a 16oz jar of pepperocinis, and a packet of Italian dressing mix.

It tastes great, but I think the peppers overwhelmed the Italian flavoring because I can't really taste it at all. I did use some chopped ones this time so I wouldn't have to remove the stems... seemed to work great.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:30:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Just tried this a few days ago and the flavor was damn good. A little salty for me, but I served it potato buns and it was good.

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

OMG that looks good. I've tried a few recipes for carnitas and always been disappointed.  This is going on the list to try asap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By QuirkyP71:
Thanks for all the recipes all! This has been a favorite for a bit:

Crockpot Carnitas

2.5 lbs Boston butt pork roast
2 tbsb. kosher salt
1 tbsp. black peppercorns, ground
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. achiote (annato)
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. Mexican oregano
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
1 small white onion, sliced thinly

3 dozen corn tortillas
3 cups white onion, finely diced
2 bunches cilantro, washed and chopped roughly
Salsa of your choice

Make a rub with the dry ingredients and apply to the roast. Roast in crockpot, onions on top. You do not need to add any liquid. 5 hours on high or 8 on low. Shred the meat when it is done and pop it under a broiler until the tips and edges start to crisp. Pop the meat on tortillas and garnish as you wish.

OMG that looks good. I've tried a few recipes for carnitas and always been disappointed.  This is going on the list to try asap.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#39]
This thread is awesome!  So I have a dumb question, but don't want to screw up this recipe.    Going to cook Zed's chicken recipe, and it states 1 can of cream of chicken, do I also add 1 cup of water (per the directions on the can) or just the can by itself?  

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By tlbailey1:

This thread is awesome!  So I have a dumb question, but don't want to screw up this recipe.    Going to cook Zed's chicken recipe, and it states 1 can of cream of chicken, do I also add 1 cup of water (per the directions on the can) or just the can by itself?  
View Quote
I usually add about half a soup can of water.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#41]
When I was still a bachelor, I'd take a chunk of roast big enough to almost fill the crock-- chunk up enough mushrooms (champignons or Criminis) to cover the top of the meat (they help keep the top of the roast moist as they cook down), throw in a half bottle of beer, fire it off on Auto and go to work. By the time you get home it's falling apart and the smells are unbelieveable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok, so I used a full can of water with the cream of chicken, also picked up some cream of asparagus and cream of celery to try in the future.  Also going to see if it's any different with some chicken thighs from Costco.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I made this today and it was REALLY good

Poor Man's Stew

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

1.5 lbs potatoes, diced large

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

1 garlic clove, minced (I had this on hand already)

1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.

View Quote

http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Poor-Mans-Beef-stew-in-crock-800x1200.jpg
http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/2015/02/10/poor-mans-stew/

Gonna try this tomorrow.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

View Quote

http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Poor-Mans-Beef-stew-in-crock-800x1200.jpg

I'm gonna try this as soon as I use up the rest of my chicken. Looks tasty, and she has a lot of decent recipes! I'm having the cheesy enchilada casserole for dinner

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#46]

A cheap meal we make once every 2 weeks or so:

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts

Package of Italian Dressing

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

Onion (if you have one, don't need it)

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.
View Quote
Made this with chicken and it is good.  Made this with pheasant breasts a couple weeks ago and it was outstanding.  We usually put it over egg noodles.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano

View Quote

Making this tomorrow and should have leftovers for several days Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

View Quote

Round two today.  Reduced the water to one cup and added a can of beef stock.  Last time, I was short on time, so I cooked it on high.  Today, I'm going low & slow.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

View Quote

Mine turned out really bland

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano

Mine turned out really bland  

I have that problem a lot with beef stews.  If I were looking to bump up this recipe a bit, I would:

- make sure to use high-quality ground beef.  Goes contrary to the "Poor Man" theme, but run of the mill grocery store ground beef is pretty blah.  Ground sirloin would boost up the beef flavor a bit.
- replace at least half the water in the recipe with a good chicken stock (yes, chicken...)
- just personal taste, but I'd go way up on the black pepper... like to a full teaspoon or so.  I like pepper.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top