Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 50
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I guess I shouldn't mention the creamy crawfish pasta I made with the leftovers from Saturday's crawfish boil? 1 stick of butter, 1.5 cups heavy cream, cayenne, onion, garlic powders, sauteed baby portabello mushrooms & green onions, sauteed crawfish tails, served over fettucine?

And this is precisely why I will never be a professional Chef in any regard or variation (however subtle or gross) of the definition.

Fungus is something that is treated with a spray found in the medicinal isle of a store –– not something that becomes a part of my diet.

_MaH
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 12:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By mhoffman:

And this is precisely why I will never be a professional Chef in any regard or variation (however subtle or gross) of the definition.

Fungus is something that is treated with a spray found in the medicinal isle of a store –– not something that becomes a part of my diet.

_MaH

The Chef will be along shortly and tell you to "suck it up". We had this discussion a few pages ago. Seems like all of us have some kind of Kryptonite in the food world that we just can't get along with. A chef has to motor through these dislikes. I love mushrooms, but there are plenty of things I hate that most other people think are just great. My big dislikes are: celery, sour cream, mustard, ketchup (only ketchup, not other tomato products), olives.

I'm sure he will.  And if I was going to do this professionally, as a job, then he's absolutely right.  Suck it the hell up and produce.

Chef, yes Chef!

But if it's just the cooking going on in my kitchen for myself, family and guests, well then...

_MaH
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 1:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#4]

Originally Posted By mhoffman:

_MaH

The Chef will be along shortly and tell you to "suck it up". We had this discussion a few pages ago. Seems like all of us have some kind of Kryptonite in the food world that we just can't get along with. A chef has to motor through these dislikes. I love mushrooms, but there are plenty of things I hate that most other people think are just great. My big dislikes are: celery, sour cream, mustard, ketchup (only ketchup, not other tomato products), olives.

you did that quite well, nothing to add..

I sub mushrooms for meat in recipes, big chunks of mushrooms in an omelet or in beef gravy on a fresh biscuit, or saute'd in garlic and butter...a nice duxxelle stuffed into a chicken breast, wrapped with bacon..
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Chef,

I'm trying to make a Raspberry pie, but they keep coming out way too watery. My recipe for the filling is:
20 oz frozen raspberries
3 TBsp quick cook tapioca
1  1/4 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBsp melted butter.

instructions:
Thaw the fruit until it comes apart easier, mix all ingredients, then let sit 15 minutes before putting in the crust.

The main result of this was raspberry soup with a crust on top (except the one that caught fire. not the recipe's fault :) My first, most watery one was done with frozen crust, and I didn't give it time to sit and set after cooking but just tried to eat it right away. My second try didn't use a frozen crust, and I let it sit for a while. It seemed to set a little bit, but it was still pretty watery.

How should I make the raspberry pie less watery? My first guess is to add more tapioca, which I assume is the thickening agent. Other thoughts were to let the frozen berries thaw all the way and drain some of the liquid (my frozen berries had a bunch of frost on them.) I'd try a recipe for fresh berries, but fresh berries are still $5 for a 4oz package around here. That'll have to wait for when they're back in season.

Secondary question: store bought pie crusts generally say "Do not thaw". How do you adjust baking time for using a frozen crust if your recipe is assuming a non-frozen crust? Or, ignore the packaging and just thaw the crust? I usually use a frozen crust for pumpkin pies, and it always takes way longer to cook than the pumpkin filling can suggests.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#6]
Originally Posted By DarthZeth:
Hey Chef,

I'm trying to make a Raspberry pie, but they keep coming out way too watery. My recipe for the filling is:
20 oz frozen raspberries
1  1/4 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBsp melted butter.

instructions:
Thaw the fruit until it comes apart easier, mix all ingredients, then let sit 15 minutes before putting in the crust.

The main result of this was raspberry soup with a crust on top (except the one that caught fire. not the recipe's fault :) My first, most watery one was done with frozen crust, and I didn't give it time to sit and set after cooking but just tried to eat it right away. My second try didn't use a frozen crust, and I let it sit for a while. It seemed to set a little bit, but it was still pretty watery.

How should I make the raspberry pie less watery? My first guess is to add more tapioca, which I assume is the thickening agent. Other thoughts were to let the frozen berries thaw all the way and drain some of the liquid (my frozen berries had a bunch of frost on them.) I'd try a recipe for fresh berries, but fresh berries are still $5 for a 4oz package around here. That'll have to wait for when they're back in season.

Secondary question: store bought pie crusts generally say "Do not thaw". How do you adjust baking time for using a frozen crust if your recipe is assuming a non-frozen crust? Or, ignore the packaging and just thaw the crust? I usually use a frozen crust for pumpkin pies, and it always takes way longer to cook than the pumpkin filling can suggests.

does your recipe say to drain the berries? it may be assuming you are using IQF berries, if you are using a pruree/slurry, you will need to add more tapioca. up to doubling it..
if you are tossing the tapioca with IQF or fresh berries then baking your pie should be fine as is.
in using frozen berries/slurry, best to thaw, cook on the stove with the tapioca to a raging boil, pour into a 'set' pie crust then finish baking from there. reducing your cooking time by about 25%

two things I do in baking pies
first being I always pre pake the crust until it drys out just a bit in the pan, not fully cooked, just barely browning.
either fresh or frozen shells I do the same, gives me a much lighter crust when cutting the pie, and none of that gummy crust you see so often, old school secret..

secondly when baking berry pies, as stated above, I tend to cook them on the stove top, establishing the tapioca, or sure gel or cornstarch is thickening a bit by cooking it with a bit of water, ensuring it breaks down evenly and completely, then adding the fruit, tossing, pouring into the crust then finishing in the shell in the oven

"simple as pie" is of course a short crust, tossing fruit and sugar together, putting fruit in crust and baking...and is reasonably simple, BUT like I have said in the past here, baking is chemistry, if you dont get the formula right, it will fail...

hope that helped..
CHEF

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Hey Chef,

20 oz frozen raspberries
1  1/4 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBsp melted butter.

instructions:

does your recipe say to drain the berries? it may be assuming you are using IQF berries, if you are using a pruree/slurry, you will need to add more tapioca. up to doubling it..
if you are tossing the tapioca with IQF or fresh berries then baking your pie should be fine as is.
in using frozen berries/slurry, best to thaw, cook on the stove with the tapioca to a raging boil, pour into a 'set' pie crust then finish baking from there. reducing your cooking time by about 25%

first being I always pre pake the crust until it drys out just a bit in the pan, not fully cooked, just barely browning.
either fresh or frozen shells I do the same, gives me a much lighter crust when cutting the pie, and none of that gummy crust you see so often, old school secret..

secondly when baking berry pies, as stated above, I tend to cook them on the stove top, establishing the tapioca, or sure gel or cornstarch is thickening a bit by cooking it with a bit of water, ensuring it breaks down evenly and completely, then adding the fruit, tossing, pouring into the crust then finishing in the shell in the oven

"simple as pie" is of course a short crust, tossing fruit and sugar together, putting fruit in crust and baking...and is reasonably simple, BUT like I have said in the past here, baking is chemistry, if you dont get the formula right, it will fail...

hope that helped..
CHEF

I am using IQF berries, not a puree or slurry.

How do I go about pre-cooking the filling? there is no liquid ingredient to boil. Will the thawed berries contain enough juice to boil? Or do I add some water to dissolve the tapioca and sugar before adding the berries? I'm a little skeptical about adding more water to my watery pie :)

I'll try some pre-bake of the crust, too. I like my home made crust better than store bought, but it does get soggy and dense with wetter fillings. I tend to make drier pies, like Apple, so it's not usually too bad. I did try pre-baking a store bought frozen crust once and it puffed up to the point that the filling wouldn't fit in it :p

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Chef,

20 oz frozen raspberries
1  1/4 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBsp melted butter.

instructions:

hope that helped..
CHEF

I am using IQF berries, not a puree or slurry.

How do I go about pre-cooking the filling? there is no liquid ingredient to boil. Will the thawed berries contain enough juice to boil? Or do I add some water to dissolve the tapioca and sugar before adding the berries? I'm a little skeptical about adding more water to my watery pie :)

I'll try some pre-bake of the crust, too. I like my home made crust better than store bought, but it does get soggy and dense with wetter fillings. I tend to make drier pies, like Apple, so it's not usually too bad. I did try pre-baking a store bought frozen crust once and it puffed up to the point that the filling wouldn't fit in it :p

Thanks!

thaw out your berries in a seive over a cooking pot,
take that liquid, bring it to a quick boil, add your sugar and tapioca, toss with your berries and proceed from there,
if you dont get enough liquid, a shot of raspberry liquor makes a great addition to the pie flavor...

when pre baking the frozen pie shell, I generally thaw them out a bit. prick some holes in it with a fork to allow steam to escape, and the puffing wont be as big an issue..also, your wetter fillings, like a cream pie or your berry pie, will level out that puffiness with it's own moisture after sitting a few minutes.(most of the time).

Chef!
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]

take that liquid, bring it to a quick boil, add your sugar and tapioca, toss with your berries and proceed from there,
if you dont get enough liquid, a shot of raspberry liquor makes a great addition to the pie flavor...

when pre baking the frozen pie shell, I generally thaw them out a bit. prick some holes in it with a fork to allow steam to escape, and the puffing wont be as big an issue..also, your wetter fillings, like a cream pie or your berry pie, will level out that puffiness with it's own moisture after sitting a few minutes.(most of the time).

Chef!

Hmm, I didn't get much liquid out of my thawed berries. Is the sugar and tapioca supposed to be dissolved in the boiling liquid? Or just combined?

Too much liquid, not enough liquid. I'll get it Just Right soon enough ;)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Chef!

Hmm, I didn't get much liquid out of my thawed berries. Is the sugar and tapioca supposed to be dissolved in the boiling liquid? Or just combined?

Thanks!

yes, dissolve the sugar and tapioca in the liqiid, you MAY need to ad a bit more water, then add the berries, place in shell and complete..
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Chef!

Thanks!

yes, dissolve the sugar and tapioca in the liqiid, you MAY need to ad a bit more water, then add the berries, place in shell and complete..

It turns out that letting the raspberries sit at room temperature gave me a lot more juice. I had just left them in the fridge to thaw over night, and thus the juice wasn't thin enough to run. Everything dissolved just fine.

It just came out of the oven and looks great. The only thing is that pre-baked the under crust, so the top crust didn't really stick to it. A little bit of filling leaked out, but it's not too bad.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Chef!

Thanks!

It turns out that letting the raspberries sit at room temperature gave me a lot more juice. I had just left them in the fridge to thaw over night, and thus the juice wasn't thin enough to run. Everything dissolved just fine.

It just came out of the oven and looks great. The only thing is that pre-baked the under crust, so the top crust didn't really stick to it. A little bit of filling leaked out, but it's not too bad.

Thanks for the help!

you are welcome, next time, paint the par-baked, crust with egg , it will give you a better seal..and remember only a light baking there should be very little browning of the crust..

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Chef, do you have a good Mexican Fajita marinade recipe?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't be sad. We still love ya.

Here - I got one for you: Pork tenderloin WITHOUT any of that rooty-tooty fresh and fruity crap on it. What recipes you got for grilling up a couple of those without tasting like the desert I'm having afterwards?

If CHEF isn't on the TOP PAGE at Minimum,,CHEF just aint happy dammit....

Dammit,,
my Grandmother, a fine women of the Victoria era who wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful
had a dog named DAMMIT....HERE DAMMIT, where are you DAMMIT...GET OUT OF THE WAY DAMMIT......coming from this tiny little woman with her very Proper British Accent,,
(SHE spoke the Queens English)was shocking to us grand-kids to say the least...at least I think she was talking to the dog,,that's what she told us anyways...

PORK,,unfruited?
blasphemy for the summer I tell ya

Lets spice it up a bit first..

* 1 teaspoon onion powder
   * 1 teaspoon garlic powder
   * 3 tablespoons chipotle chile powder(any quality chili powder will work)
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
   * 4 tablespoons brown sugar
   * 2 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloins

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
  2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, salt, and brown sugar. Place tenderloins in bag and shake, coating meat evenly. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. Lightly oil grill grate, and arrange meat on grate. Cook for 20 minutes, turning meat every 5 minutes. Remove from grill, let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

or a bit of Asian Fusion

* 2 (1 1/2 pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed
   * 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
   * 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
   * 1 tablespoon sherry
   * 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
   * 1 clove garlic
   * 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
   * 1 pinch Chinese five-spice powder(optional but really brings the flavors together)

Directions

1. Place tenderloins in a shallow glass dish. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, black bean sauce, ginger, sugar, garlic, sesame oil, and five-spice powder. Pour marinade over pork, and turn to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove tenderloins from refrigerator while the oven preheats.
  3. Bake pork in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or to desired doneness. Let stand for 10 minutes, and then slice diagonally into thin slices.

and in homage of the fine German People who just bailed out GREECE
El Greco

* 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
   * 3/4 cup olive oil
   * 6 cloves garlic, sliced
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 6 tablespoons dried oregano
   * 2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins

Directions

1. Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and oregano in a large resealable plastic bag. Shake sealed bag until ingredients are well mixed. Taste the marinade for tartness. If too tart, add a little more oil. Not enough zing, add more lime. The garlic and salt flavors should also be up front, yet not overpowering. Place tenderloins in the bag, seal, and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 5 hours.
  2. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate, and discard marinade. Grill tenderloins for 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, or to desired doneness.

and of course you can STUFF IT!!!!

* 1 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloin
   * 1/2 cup chopped onion
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * 1 cup soft bread crumbs
   * 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
   * 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
   * 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
   * 1/4 teaspoon salt
   * 1/8 teaspoon pepper
   * 1 egg, lightly beaten
   * 1 bacon strip

Directions

1. Make a lengthwise slit about three-fourths of the way through tenderloin; open tenderloin so it lies flat. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside.
  2. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add bread crumbs; saute until crumbs are golden brown. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, sage, rosemary, salt, pepper and enough egg to moisten the ingredients.
  3. Spread stuffing on one long side of tenderloin to within 1/4 in. of edges. Close meat and place bacon on top; tie with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing

thank you sir,,thought with a 3 day weekend I might get some questions....
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have some good lentil recipes? Also looking for a good white fish recipe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#19]
tfl
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#20]
apple cinnamon pancakes?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tayous1:
Anyone have some good lentil recipes? Also looking for a good white fish recipe.

CHEFS been Busy,,building stuff

will be back tomorrow....sorry!  less you meant "just anybody"
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By giacutter:
tfl

OOHHHH tag for later...

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:46:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#23]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
apple cinnamon pancakes?

what time? Im free about 815
CHEF

be back tommorow, sorry!!!

I AM BACK,,sorry was working a gun show in Big D..

apple cinnamon pancakes...tasty treats for a Sunday Morning brunch..as are several variety of flapjacks,,and a manly thing to impress both the wife and children alike...

Ingredients

* 2 cups whole wheat flour
   * 4 teaspoons baking powder
   * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   * 1/2 teaspoon salt
   * 2 eggs, lightly beaten
   * 2 cups fat-free milk
   * 2 tablespoons honey
   * 1 tablespoon canola oil
   * 1 medium apple - peeled, cored and chopped

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, honey and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add apple.
  2. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.

you may also lay sliced apples on top of the pancake just as the batter is laid, 3 or 4 thin crescents..looks impressive and the griddle searing really brings the sugars out on the apple slices..caramelizing and bring out the natural apple flavor

Apple and Yogurt make a good combo

Ingredients

* 2 eggs
   * 1 2/3 cups milk
   * 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
   * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
   * 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 1 teaspoon baking powder
   * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
   * 1/4 teaspoon salt
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
   * 1 apple - peeled, cored and diced

Directions

1. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, milk, yogurt and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the milk mixture until smooth. Fold in chopped apple.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each cake. Cook until bubbles form in the cakes and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Serve warm with syrup or jam.

You can of course sub assorted berries, pears, peaches or even PawPaws in these recipes to add some variety to your repertoire

thanks for stopping by..
CHEF
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 12:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DRhodes] [#24]
Chef, is it difficult for you to prepare food that you yourself wouldn't eat?

i.e., Cooking seafood if you dont like seafood?

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DRhodes:

DRHodes, I welcome you and will reserve that answer for my friends here on the board to answer a bit more kindly...

IF you will be kind enough to read the index, you will find where I discussed this in length with one errant reader who thought he could get away with such things.
CHEF
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tayous1:

tayous thanks for your questions, sorry I took a bit to get back, I was busy..
Lentils, I dont think we discussed too in depth here so I will offer a few recipes,so a very good topic to bring up,,,if you will check the index there are several fish recipes to be found.. but if you will be a bit more specific, as to what you want to do with said fish, I will be of more help to you...

Lentils
a STAPLE in the survivalists pantry, like beans, rice, salt and sugar,,a quick boil and nearly an instant food source, takes to about anything else you care to throw in the pot,
and though personally, like black beans, I have to be pretty damn hungry to eat them,,Lentils are an excellent storable protein and a complete food.
For safety reasons lentils should never be eaten raw, and some types of lentils require soaking overnight before cooking as well.

The seeds require a cooking time of 10-30 minutes, depending on the variety (shorter for small varieties with the husk removed, such as the common red lentil) and have a distinctive earthy flavor. Lentils are used throughout India, the Mediterranean regions and the Middle East.
They are frequently combined with rice, which has a similar cooking time. A lentil and rice dish is referred to in the Middle East as mujaddara or mejadra. Rice and lentils are also cooked together in khichdi, a popular Indian dish; a similar dish, kushari, is made in Egypt and considered one of two national dishes. Lentils are used to prepare an inexpensive and nutritious soup all over Europe and North and South America, sometimes combined with some form of chicken or pork. In rare cases the lentils are mixed with dairy cheese.
A large percentage of Indians are vegetarian, and lentils have long been part of the indigenous diet as a common source of protein and Iron.
Dried lentils can also be sprouted by leaving in water for several days. This changes the nutrition.

Lentils contain high levels of proteins, including the essential amino acids  isoleucine  and lysine, and are an essential source of inexpensive protein in many parts of the world for those who adhere to a vegetarian diet. Lentils are deficient in two essential amino acids, methionine  and cystine.  However, sprouted lentils contain sufficient levels of all essential amino acids, including methionine and cystine.
Apart from a high level of proteins, lentils also contain dietary fiber, folate, vitamin B1, and minerals. Red (or pink) lentils contain a lower concentration of fiber than green lentils (11% rather than 31%).Health magazine has selected lentils as one of the five healthiest foods. Lentils are often mixed with grains, such as rice, which results in a complete protein dish.

"Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein-all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up––not out

Lentil soup

Ingredients

* 1 onion, chopped
   * 1/4 cup olive oil
   * 2 carrots, diced
   * 2 stalks celery, chopped
   * 2 cloves garlic, minced
   * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
   * 1 bay leaf
   * 1 teaspoon dried basil
   * 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
   * 2 cups dry lentils
   * 8 cups water
   * 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
   * 2 tablespoons vinegar
   * salt to taste
   * ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.

Lentils and Brown Rice

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups brown rice
   * 3 cups water
   * 3 tablespoons sesame oil
   * 1 teaspoon curry powder
   * 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
   * 3 cups water
   * 1 cube vegetable bouillon
   * 1 1/2 cups red lentils
   * 4 eggs

Directions

1. Bring brown rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Stir in the curry powder and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few seconds until fragrant. Pour in the remaining 3 cups of water, bouillon cube, and lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Make four shallow indentations in the cooked lentils with the back of a spoon, and crack a whole egg into each indentation. Recover, and continue cooking until the eggs have cooked to your desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes for medium-well. Serve over the brown rice.(you can use white rice, or broken rice etc)

Lentil loaf (think meat loaf)

Ingredients

* 1 1/8 cups green lentils
   * 2 1/4 cups water
   * 6 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
   * 2 eggs
   * 1 cup vegetable broth
   * 2 tablespoons tomato paste
   * 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
   * 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * 1 teaspoon dried parsley
   * 1 tablespoon olive oil
   * 1/2 packet dry vegetable soup mix
   * 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs

Directions

1. Combine lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups cooked lentils, bread, eggs, broth, tomato paste, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, parsley, olive oil, and dry soup mix. Spread into prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle top with dry bread crumbs, and continue baking another 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Lentil soup II

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon peanut oil
   * 1 small onion, chopped
   * 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
   * 1 clove garlic, chopped
   * 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
   * 1 cup dry red lentils
   * 1 cup butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
   * 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
   * 2 cups water
   * 1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
   * 2 tablespoons tomato paste
   * 1 teaspoon curry powder
   * 1 pinch cayenne pepper
   * 1 pinch ground nutmeg
   * salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, and fenugreek until onion is tender.
  2. Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.

Lentil and Tomatoes
Ingredients

* 1 onion, finely chopped
   * 1 tablespoon olive oil
   * 1 chile pepper, chopped
   * 1 cup red lentils
   * 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
   * 1 cup water
   * salt and pepper to taste
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
   * 1 teaspoon dried basil
   * 1/4 cup sour cream, for topping (optional)
   * 2 sprigs fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Lightly brown the onions in the oil. Add the tomatoes, chili pepper, lentils, cumin and basil to the pan along with the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
  2. When the lentils have softened, use a stick blender to puree the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a special touch, put sour cream in a squirt bottle, and squeeze a spiral onto the top of each bowl of soup, and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.

hope that gets you there
CHEF
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#27]

DRHodes, I welcome you and will reserve that answer for my friends here on the board to answer a bit more kindly...

IF you will be kind enough to read the index, you will find where I discussed this in length with one errant reader who thought he could get away with such things.

CHEF

I'm sorry

Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
HAPPY JULY 4th    

and nothing makes the 4th like ICE CREAM,,one of our Founders, and President was an ICE CREAM FANATIC...
and according to the Monticello web site, Ice cream frequently appears in visitors' accounts of meals with Thomas Jefferson. One visitor commented: "Among other things, ice-creams were produced in the form of balls of the frozen material inclosed in covers of warm pastry, exhibiting a curious contrast, as if the ice had just been taken from the oven."

Jefferson was able to enjoy ice cream throughout the year because ice was "harvested" from the Rivanna River in winter and taken to the Monticello ice house, which held sixty-two wagon-loads. The ice house located in Monticello's north dependency wing was used throughout the year primarily to preserve meat and butter, but also to chill wine and to make ice cream. In 1815, Jefferson noted, the ice supply lasted until October 15.

While George Washington's papers contain a prior reference to an ice cream maker, the first American recipe for the dish is in Jefferson's hand:

Ice Cream.
2. bottles of good cream.
6. yolks of eggs.
1/2 lb. sugar

mix the yolks & sugar
put the cream on a fire in a casserole, first putting in a stick of Vanilla.

when near boiling take it off & pour it gently into the mixture of eggs & sugar.

stir it well.

put it on the fire again stirring it thoroughly with a spoon to prevent it's sticking to the casserole.

when near boiling take it off and strain it thro' a towel.

put it in the Sabottiere*

then set it in ice an hour before it is to be served. put into the ice a handful of salt.

put salt on the coverlid of the Sabotiere & cover the whole with ice.

leave it still half a quarter of an hour.

then turn the Sabottiere in the ice 10 minutes

open it to loosen with a spatula the ice from the inner sides of the Sabotiere.

shut it & replace it in the ice

open it from time to time to detach the ice from the sides

when well taken (prise) stir it well with the Spatula.

put it in moulds, justling it well down on the knee.

then put the mould into the same bucket of ice.

leave it there to the moment of serving it.

to withdraw it, immerse the mould in warm water, turning it well till it will come out & turn it into a plate.

The original recipe is found in the Jefferson Papers collection at the Library of Congress.
*The sabottiere is the inner cannister shown in the drawing. There was no crank to turn it; when Jefferson wrote "turn the Sabottiere in the ice 10 minutes," he meant for someone to grab the handle and turn the cannister clockwise and then counterclockwise.

or in modern English
Beat the yolks of 6 eggs until thick and lemon colored. Add, gradually, 1 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil 1 quart of cream and pour slowly on the egg mixture. Put in top of double boiler and when thickens, remove and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. When cool add 2 teaspoonfuls of vanilla. Freeze, as usual, with one part of salt to three parts of ice. Place in a mould, pack with ice and salt for several hours. For electric refrigerators, follow usual direction, but stir frequently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 11:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#29]
Originally Posted By bcw107:

O wise and powerful one, please please please tell me how to make gyros. I want to make the meat, the pita, and the tsaziki. I would love to find a source for the meat alread made but I've been to every high end grocery store in Dallas and no one carries it that I can find.

Not the chef here, but I've tried this and my wife and I liked it quite a bit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe/index.html. On the tzatsiki sauce, you can skip the regular yogurt and draining it and buy greek yogurt to begin with if your grocery store stocks it. The ground lamb was easy to find for me - I was surprised our regular grocery store carried it.

Seems simple.  I think I'll try that this week.  Thanks for the response.

well, seems Zhukov got that covered, I was busy this weekend, again, but now HOME for a month at least...
MOST Gyros are made with a combination of Beef and Lamb,,and though Alton is a far more "successful Chef" than lowly ole me..he is close to the classice taste profile..

close

this will get you closer to what you get from KRONO's and Parthenon foods..found in food courts in America,,go to Greece and Iraq, far different products as from here to there..
the gyro originated as a Kabob in the M.E. and grew from there,,it is a recognizable food with common ingredients nearly world wide,,and found from mild to very spicy dependent on local tastes..
Ingredients

* 1/2 onion, cut into chunks
   * 1 pound ground lamb
   * 1 pound ground beef
   * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
   * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
   * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
   * 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
   * 1 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
   * 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
   * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions

1. Place the onion in a food processor, and process until finely chopped. Scoop the onions onto the center of a towel, gather up the ends of the towel, and squeeze out the liquid from the onions. Place the onions into a mixing bowl along with the lamb and beef. Season with the garlic, oregano, cumin, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Mix well with your hands until well combined. Cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  3. Place the meat mixture into the food processor, and pulse for about a minute until finely chopped and the mixture feels tacky. Pack the meat mixture into a 7x4 inch loaf pan, making sure there are no air pockets. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place the loaf pan on the towel, inside the roasting pan, and place into the preheated oven. Fill the roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan.
  4. Bake until the gyro meat is no longer pink in the center, and the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) on a meat thermometer, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Pour off any accumulated fat, and allow to cool slightly before slicing thinly and serving.

some restaurants use sour cream...for the tzasiki others use sieved yogurt or Greek yogurt...which is considerably dryer than American style.
Ingredients

* 1 cup sour cream
   * 2/3 cup peeled and grated cucumber
   * 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
   * 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
   * 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard

Directions

1. Combine the sour cream, cucumber, garlic, dill, mustard, and garlic powder in a bowl; stir to combine. Chill in refrigerator at least one hour before serving.

and don't forget the Feta crumbles.......you can also add or sub Venison for the lamb and use ground turkey or ground chicken  as well to cut fat...

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll try that recipe next time I have a hankering for gyros. Thanks chef!

youre welcome and thank you for fielding the question....

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know why I was frying in this heat but the onion rings I made using your guidance were wonderful.  I enjoyed your story and then the urge for some great onion rings set in.  I thought of them every day until I finally broke down and made some.  Thanks!

I keep seeing people posting about the great buys they made on cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soups, etc. for stocking up.  I know you talked about white sauces a while back but you didn't really explain how or when to use the white sauce.  You mentioned how to enhance the flavor using chicken or citrus in the stock but didn't really address turning it into a "substitute" for the canned soups.  I say "substitute" because I consider the canned soups the real substitutes here.

A LOT of people have been advertised into believing that adding a can of soup to a recipe is a requirement.  Can you set us straight on the how and when to use, say, basic white sauce?  I guess I could always use my Campbell's Soup cookbooks and just un-substitute the soups.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Skunkum:
I don't know why I was frying in this heat but the onion rings I made using your guidance were wonderful.  I enjoyed your story and then the urge for some great onion rings set in.  I thought of them every day until I finally broke down and made some.  Thanks!

I keep seeing people posting about the great buys they made on cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soups, etc. for stocking up.  I know you talked about white sauces a while back but you didn't really explain how or when to use the white sauce.  You mentioned how to enhance the flavor using chicken or citrus in the stock but didn't really address turning it into a "substitute" for the canned soups.  I say "substitute" because I consider the canned soups the real substitutes here.

A LOT of people have been advertised into believing that adding a can of soup to a recipe is a requirement.  Can you set us straight on the how and when to use, say, basic white sauce?  I guess I could always use my Campbell's Soup cookbooks and just un-substitute the soups.

thank you,,I am glad to be of assistance,,,,now, frying up onion rings in Arkansas, in 100 degree temps shows a man truly dedicated to his JUNQUE FOOD Addiction...

canned cream of soups....have, did, are is and will be the lazy cooks way to put basic sauces into the menu
IF One were to follow my suggestion to keep cooked roux in the freezer, ready to go, cook stocks or at least save your pan drippings when roasting beef, chicken, turkey etc, and or learn to use simple corn starch or even arrow root as thickening agents, food would get tastier and simpler and far cheaper in the long run..and on hell of a lot better for you and yours

now, in a SHTF, Kids are crying, need to feed em, just got home from work and we're starving, use that can of soup on the shelf, I do, on occasions, usually to extend something or last minute using it to do a quick sauce for a chicken that came out a bit dry..and at times just for general simplicity..but it is rare,,

I save stocks in the freezer as well as roux, I keep milk in the refer, we can bring stock to boil in a few minutes, add our frozen roux cube, thicken and smooth out with milk....easy, but I am a trained cook who has done it 1000's of times and do so with out thinking about it.....but, especially for the home cook, once a habit is created and you become accustomed to the convenience of opening the can...then that's the downfall..and it si what made Campbell's MILLIONS of dollars

so,,,IT is down to personal choice, Time, taste profiles and HABIT.....being apart of the survival forum, a can of Cream of Mushroom may make this mornings groundhog one tastey roast of Pot Meat this evening....but, if the ingrediants are available and time isnt in short supply,,,then Make fresh use what you have at hand, experiment etc....

that get it?

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I save stocks in the freezer as well as roux, I keep milk in the refer, we can bring stock to boil in a few minutes, add our frozen roux cube, thicken and smooth out with milk....easy, but I am a trained cook who has done it 1000's of times and do so with out thinking about it.....but, especially for the home cook, once a habit is created and you become accustomed to the convenience of opening the can...then that's the downfall..and it si what made Campbell's MILLIONS of dollars....

...that get it?

Yes, thanks, I think that about covers it.  I need to adjust my habits and quit opening as many cans!  And thanks for the reminder about the frozen roux... I've been going to whip up a batch ever since you first posted about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Talk to me about brines vs. poultry and it's aplicability when pursuing smoker goodness.  I recently been dabbling in the arena however am new to the notion.

Thanks!

SS
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#36]
O wise and powerful one, please please please tell me how to make gyros.  I want to make the meat, the pita, and the tsaziki.  I would love to find a source for the meat alread made but I've been to every high end grocery store in Dallas and no one carries it that I can find.

If you have anyone you know who can order through Sysco(or I just read while searching for you, "most sysco locations will let you "cash and carry" meats from their office.") they have great ready made gyro meat in beef, chicken, and lamb.  I usually go with the beef as the lamb is considerably more expensive.  I fry them in a little olive oil and dust them with garlic powder.  I am not sure in the finished gyro if you could tell the difference between the two.

This whole thing reminds me I need to order some.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 12:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1GUNRUNNER] [#37]
some restaurants use sour cream...for the tzasiki others use sieved yogurt or Greek yogurt...which is considerably dryer than American style.
Ingredients

* 1 cup sour cream
   * 2/3 cup peeled and grated cucumber
   * 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
   * 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
   * 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard

Directions

1. Combine the sour cream, cucumber, garlic, dill, mustard, and garlic powder in a bowl; stir to combine. Chill in refrigerator at least one hour before serving.

and don't forget the Feta crumbles.......you can also add or sub Venison for the lamb and use ground turkey or ground chicken  as well to cut fat...

CHEF

I use Greek yogurt that I get from Trader Joes.
I blend my peeled and seeded cucumber in the blender.  Once peeled cut cucumber in half length wise and use a spoon to scrape the seeds out.  I also let the puree sit in a doubled coffee filter to get as much of the juice out it as I can, as it is well help with a thicker consistency in your sauce.

Finally if you eat a lot of them as I do in the summer, I usually have a large sealed tupperware container in the fridge with chopped tomatoes and red onions, olive oil, feta, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, dash of vinegar, pepper and sea salt.  You can spoon that right onto your gyro, or have a great base for a Greek Salad.

1(TheGreek)GUNRUNNER

Link Posted: 6/26/2010 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok Chef, let's talk Coriander.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SideSalad:
Talk to me about brines vs. poultry and it's aplicability when pursuing smoker goodness.  I recently been dabbling in the arena however am new to the notion.

Thanks!

SS

brineing has been a topic bought up a few times, I will give you the page numbers here...check them out, see what you see and let us know what you discover
Brine for Smoking Red Snapper….16
Brined turkey….33
brining brisket TIPS….28
Brining Fish….16
Brining meats….7
Brining or Marinating Whole Chickens?….51
Brining, meat….4
Brining….15

thank you for your question it is more a seasonal one, and will get some folks doing some refresher reading

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SideSalad:

Thanks!

SS

brineing has been a topic bought up a few times, I will give you the page numbers here...check them out, see what you see and let us know what you discover
Brine for Smoking Red Snapper….16
Brined turkey….33
brining brisket TIPS….28
Brining Fish….16
Brining meats….7
Brining or Marinating Whole Chickens?….51
Brining, meat….4
Brining….15

thank you for your question it is more a seasonal one, and will get some folks doing some refresher reading

CHEF

Thanks for the reply - four good looking cornish game hens are in work as I type this. Will update with pics if proper end state is achieved. Side note: Intend to smoke the birds with Kiawe wood. We shall see...

SS out
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Walter E Williams offers some insight on HFCS....and seems to agree with my opinion, it's use is what is aiding if not promoting obesity and diabetes in today's modern society and how our government holds a level of responsibility.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius promised, "The U.S. government plans to increase funding to battle obesity and views healthcare reform as an opportunity to encourage better eating habits." Rather than spending money and attacking the food industry, the secretary and others concerned with the health of Americans ought to go after the U.S. Congress. Let's look at it.

According to a study by researchers at the University of California, Davis, published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation (May 2009), widespread use of fructose may be directly responsible for some of the ongoing increase in rates of childhood diabetes and obesity. Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases abdominal fat and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese people. The participants in the study who consumed fructose-sweetened food showed an increase of fat cells around major organs including their hearts and livers, and also underwent metabolic changes that are precursors to heart disease and diabetes.

Other studies have linked diets rich in high-fructose corn syrup to elevated risks of high triglycerides (a type of blood fat), fat buildup in the liver and insulin resistance, notes Dr. Gerald Shulman and his colleagues at Yale University School of Medicine.

"This is the first evidence we have that fructose increases diabetes and heart disease independently from causing simple weight gain," said Kimber Stanhope, a molecular biologist who led the UC Davis study, adding, "We didn't see any of these changes in the people eating glucose."

You say, "Williams, glucose, fructose –– what's the fuss?" Glucose is the sugar sold in 5- or 10-pound bags at your supermarket that Americans have used as a sweetener throughout most of our history. Fructose is a sweetener that has more recently come into heavy use by beverage manufacturers and food processors. You ask, "How come all the fructose use now?"

Enter the U.S. Congress. The Fanjul family of Palm Beach, Fla., a politically connected family, has given more than $1.8 million to both Democratic and Republican parties over the years. They and others in the sugar industry give millions to congressmen to keep high tariffs on foreign sugar so the U.S. sugar industry can charge us higher prices. According to one study, the Fanjul family alone earns about $65 million a year from congressional protectionism.

Chairman Emeritus of Archer Daniels Midland Company, Dwayne Andreas, has given politicians millions of dollars to help him enrich ADM at our expense. For that money, congressmen vote to restrict sugar imports that in turn drive up sugar prices. Higher sugar prices benefit ADM, who produces corn syrup (fructose), which is a sugar substitute. When sugar prices are high, sugar users (soda, candy and food processors) turn to corn syrup as a cheaper substitute sweetener. Early on, some sugar-using companies found out they could import products like ice tea, distill out its sugar content and still beat the high prices caused by Congress' protectionist sugar policy, but to do so was eventually made illegal.

Congress' sugar policy not only reduces the health of American people, it reduces American jobs as well. Chicago used to be America's candy manufacturing capitol. In 1970, employment by Chicago's candy manufacturers totaled 15,000 and now it's 8,000 and falling. Brach's used to employ about 2,300 people; now most of its jobs are in Mexico. Ferrara Pan Candy has also moved much of its production to Mexico. Yes, wages are lower in Mexico, but wages aren't the only factor in candy manufacturers' flight from America. Sugar is a major cost and in Mexico, they pay one-third to one-half what they pay in the U.S. Life Savers, which for 90 years was manufactured in America, has moved to Canada, where wages are comparable to ours, but their yearly sugar cost is $10 million less.

Working in the favor of Congress with these and other life-threatening and health-reducing schemes is American unawareness and the fact that most often, their victims are invisible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Thinking of doing a Veal picatta for next week, maybe to start with a Cesar salad.

What would you serve with the Veal?

pasta?  what kind of sauce?

potato's?

sorry,,working in the big city since saturday and assholes and elbows..will spend some time on line after 5 today,,thanks for posting and joining the class..

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]

CHEF

I'm sorry  

Don't be sorry , IF I came off abrupt, I apologize..it's just kind of how I am....

I believe it was a reader and participant Zuchov who asked the same question, and maybe another reader or two, a few times,,,and my basic responce,,is this..after chewing them out a few minutes,,,,is

you have to man up and get over it..you need to at least know the combination of the tastes work, you have to know if a spice is too over powering for a light flavored fish,
my personal favorite, you have to know if a Stock is good or bad, whilst it is cold, in the walk-in, with a cake of grease on top, an inch think, and it is 7am, you're hungover and haven't had your first coffee yet...you just have to do it to be a successful cook,,you don't have to sit down and eat a gallon, but you have to learn to marry the flavor's
I think I mentioned my friend Ali, a very good chef from Jordon, a Muslim, sort of, who doesn't eat pork or catfish,,yet has taken gold and silver medals in competitions serving both.he says, I can NOT eat scavengers,,,according to the Koran,,but IT Says NOTHING about tasting them....so,,,hope that answers your question a bit..and that you will stick around, ask more, read the thread and join the par Tay...

thank you..

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Chef, can we get a method for making onion rings?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#47]
onion rings,,,why on earth would you want to ruin a perfectly good onion, by dipping it in batter and frying it in old grease????

I once upon a time was the Executive Chef at a private city club, very upscale members,,real silver on the tables, non of that plated crap the Plebes use,,REAL Solid Sterling silver...
ritzy place,,,spent two years there and decided I couldn't abide the taste of Elitist class ass any longer and moved on to other things.
One fine Hotter than hell August day, a rather unattractive women of color and indiscriminate age walked into my office during peak ordering time for the upcoming weekend party schedule..
I was assholes and elbows and she wanted to annoy me...

her name was Liz and by unattractive, I mean she started at the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...says CHEFF I needs a job....PLEASE, I really NEED a job...
being busy and being a bit of a young arrogant ass and just being full up that day I did not have time to deal with this ugly little toady and sent her on her way
An hour later, she reappears, and says

CHEFFFFF in  a whiny singsong voice,,CHEFFFFF, I really needs a job CheFFFFFf, PLEASE I can do anything you need me to do CHEFFFF, Please, I need a job...
so
I said enough, You need a job so bad, go in that back room and make me some onion rings for my steak party tonite, you make me some good onion rings, I will give you a job...Pointing her in the general direction, I walked away on to other things.

a long and busy lunch starts, dinner prep starts, things get moving for a busier evening and suddenly appears this Little Ugly women, LIZ,,,Coated in flour, egg wash and bread crumbs, in her hair, all over her apron, up to her elbow she is covered,,in schmaltzzz and TEARS RUNNING DOWN HER FACE and whiping her nose she says..

CHEFFFF, I finished the onion rings,,,, I being a bit shocked she is still around say,,WHAT it took you 7 hours to make onion rings?
she sayd CHEFFFFF I made a bunch of onion rings...
I say, How many do you think you made,,,she says

ALL OF EM...CHEFFFFF,

I walk with her toward the STEAMING HOT ANTE ROOM in front of the walk-ins, a place hotter than hell even in the dead of winter, and there,,,where I store my onions and potatoes, stacked floor to ceiling are sheet pans, layered with paper and 1000's of onion rings, ready to fry..
I was My GOD, you made a bunch of onion rings
she says, Yes Chefffff 5 bags...
I was shocked to say the least,,5 bags of onion rings....250lbs of onions, turned in to onion rings....

I WAS IMPRESSED beyond words.. and told her she had a job, started her a $1.00 more per hour than the average new guy earned, and with in a year, she was running a small satellite kitchen that fed the sports club members,,doing 200 meals at lunch daily, by herself, and during that year, I dont think we ever needed to make onion rings...she retired from there last year, retired from the position of Executive Sous Chef,,she sent me a card thanking me for making her do those onion rings and changing her life,,,

now simple onion rings..HINT,,,when breading always keep one hand wet, one hand dry,,you will have a far more Harmonious outcome..
Classic style

Ingredients

* 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
   * 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
   * 1 teaspoon baking powder
   * 1 teaspoon salt
   * 1 egg
   * 1 cup milk, or as needed
   * 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
   * seasoned salt to taste
   * 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
  2. Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up. Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
  4. Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Season with seasoning salt, and serve.

Beer batter style

Ingredients

* 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
   * 1 cup all-purpose flour
   * 1 cup beer
   * 1 pinch salt
   * 1 pinch ground black pepper
   * 4 onions, peeled and sliced into rings

Directions

1. In a large, deep skillet, heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, beer, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth. Dredge onion slices in the batter, until evenly coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

\\
Basic "breaded"
Ingredients

* 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
   * 2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 2 teaspoons salt, divided
   * 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
   * 3 egg whites
   * 1 cup milk
   * 1 tablespoon white vinegar
   * 3 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into thick rings

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Place the flour in a shallow baking pan, and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper until frothy.
  3. Dip the onion rings in the wet ingredients then into the flour mixture until coated. Then dip in the egg white mixture again, and then into the flour again.
  4. Fry onion rings in the hot oil a few at a time so they are not crowded, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.

Deep South style

Ingredients

* 3 large Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and separated into rings
   * 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 2 cups milk
   * 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
   * 2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 1 tablespoon white sugar
   * 1 tablespoon salt
   * 2 teaspoons paprika
   * 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
   * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
   * 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
   * 1 quart oil for deep frying

Directions

1. Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside. Line 2 additional baking sheets or 1 tray with paper towels; set aside.
  2. Place 1 1/2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Pour the milk into a second shallow bowl. In a third bowl, stir together the cornmeal, 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, and black pepper.
  3. Dip the onion rings first into the plain flour, then into the milk, and last into the cornmeal mixture. Place the breaded rings on the wax paper-lined baking sheets.
  4. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, or deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
  5. Fry the onion rings a few at a time in the hot oil so they are not crowded, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheets, and serve immediately.

THank you,,for sparking a good memory..

CH
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 9:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Patrick_Henry] [#48]
Had a question and I thought this was an appropriate avenue for it.

Have a nice cutting wooden cutting board, about 2" thick, (made of strips of wood as opposed to one solid piece).  Not sure what type of wood it is, but did not oil it enough on the side getting used, and it has warped from too much water/cleaning.  Started using a very light bleach solution when cleaning along with oiling it more frequently, it but it is still warped.

Any magic way of rescuing it?

Thanks and have enjoyed the thread.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Patrick_Henry:
Had a question and I thought this was an appropriate avenue for it.

Have a nice cutting wooden cutting board, about 2" thick, (made of strips of wood as opposed to one solid piece).  Not sure what type of wood it is, but did not oil it enough on the side getting used, and it has warped from too much water/cleaning.  Started using a very light bleach solution when cleaning along with oiling it more frequently, it but it is still warped.

Any magic way of rescuing it?

Thanks and have enjoyed the thread.

thank you, hope you found some thing helpful, funny, tasty and satisfying.
now..I AM A COOK, so..

soak the board in the bath tub for a day or two, get it good and wet..
place board between to pieces of clean plywood layered with saran wrap or wax paper
lay on garage floor
drive car so front right wheel is centered on top of board
allow to dry for 10 days to two weeks(only works in summer weather) remove car, (or similar weights, like weights, cinder-blocks, steel anvils, you gunsafe)
remove board from between plywood, SAND OFF High and low spots on both sides and lightly sand edges..allow to fully dry out on a flat surface for a week or so..
Oil Liberally with USP-grade mineral oil (one of the RARE times you will see me use the L work) allow to dry a day or so
wipe off excessive oil and go chop some onions

there is a tutorial here on care and feeding of your wooden cutting boards for future reference, check the Index..

thank you and let us know how it works out..
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey Chef, just wanted to let you know I tried out the onion rings. The problem was I was eating them almost as fast as I was making them, out of about 24 I battered, only 12 made it to the fridge!

Thanks again
Andras
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top