Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Angry Birds is the answer you seek.....

At least our tyler is a pro at it...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain.  I've sat in that very seat many times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you get invited in once the meeting is open?
View Quote
I usually go in.  Apparently one night last year I didn't.  I must have been outside with a new guy working on his posting.  Last night I found out that the By-laws had been changed vis-à-vis how dues are set.  It seems the By-laws had been changed so that dues could be set without revising the By-laws, negating the requirement to notify the membership of a proposed By-law change.

I got a little overzealous in my comments.  At one point I thought I might have to remove myself.  

This was obviously after the photo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I usually go in.  Apparently one night last year I didn't.  I must have been outside with a new guy working on his posting.  Last night I found out that the By-laws had been changed vis-à-vis how dues are set.  It seems the By-laws had been changed so that dues could be set without revising the By-laws, negating the requirement to notify the membership of a proposed By-law change.

I got a little overzealous in my comments.  At one point I thought I might have to remove myself.  

This was obviously after the photo.
View Quote
Only your lodge's by-laws, I assume.  I've already received my dues notices from the Scottish Rite and Shrine, but the Blue Lodge notice usually doesn't arrive until late in the year.  The checks I write have gotten larger over the years.

If you're ever at the Crivits Lodge, check out the Tiler's chair in the lodge room, it has a very amusing photo hanging above it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Tyler was a coveted post when I joined......you could smoke out in the hallway!

Since I stutter I was always the fill in for the South or JD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tyler was a coveted post when I joined......you could smoke out in the hallway!

Since I stutter I was always the fill in for the South or JD.
View Quote
@Spiffums  where is your S+C logo?   you should get one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't have a current dues card. I demented out a couple of years ago when my lodge lost their building and just haven't got around to getting back in yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't have a current dues card. I demented out a couple of years ago when my lodge lost their building and just haven't got around to getting back in yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once a Mason, always a Mason. 

@The_Beer_Slayer
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@The_Beer_Slayer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@The_Beer_Slayer
Can't take it out of your head or your heart.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I might have one somewhere. I could send you a picture of my apron. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm invited in right after opening and before introductions. Somebody from the body of the lodge always says, " do we have to let him in?" By the time I'm seated, the laughter dies down!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
At least you dimitted, rather than being suspended. That should make it easier to join another lodge. If your old lodge was still in existence, you would have to be in good standing with your old lodge before dimitting to another. Your Grand Lodge could answer these questions for you. Your old lodge probably merged with another, that may also be a place to start.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Last Friday I was fired!  New officers installed and the new Master thought it was time I be let back in.  I've been Tyler since I left the East.  It'll be nice to sit on the sidelines, grumble, point and laugh like the other Past Masters.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#16]
So you get to wear your PM apron finally?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally.  It's been in its case since I got it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've worn mine once.  Went straight from WM to Treasurer to Grand Lodge.  They were silly enough to install me as WM for the 2nd time this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finally.  It's been in its case since I got it.
I've worn mine once.  Went straight from WM to Treasurer to Grand Lodge.  They were silly enough to install me as WM for the 2nd time this week.
Who's the silly one?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I still have a few more years before I can be WM.  Just moved up to SD last Tuesday.  I admire you guys who have sat in the east, even more the ones who have done it more then once!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I still have a few more years before I can be WM.  Just moved up to SD last Tuesday.  I admire you guys who have sat in the east, even more the ones who have done it more then once!
View Quote
IMO, Senior Deacon is the best and most important chair.  Every Mason I know has a special bond with the SD in his degrees.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IMO, Senior Deacon is the best and most important chair.  Every Mason I know has a special bond with the SD in his degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except for the ones in PA... SD doesn't do anything.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who conducts the Candidate?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear my PM Apron when I travel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Guide.

We dont have the stair lecture either.  OMG!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least you dimitted, rather than being suspended. That should make it easier to join another lodge. If your old lodge was still in existence, you would have to be in good standing with your old lodge before dimitting to another. Your Grand Lodge could answer these questions for you. Your old lodge probably merged with another, that may also be a place to start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah they mergered I think with the one at the county seat. We were kinda the catch all lodge for 3 counties. I need to put a big note on the fridge to go on their stated meeting night and talk to someone. I got a friends son who is going to be joining next year and I really want to be there for that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Guide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Guide.

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brother John was a confirmed bachelor. Sweetest man you could ever meet and mean as a black snake. He had a walking stick and when he wanted your undivided attention he got it. He was the only prof card holder so he was always SD and the assistant pastor at church was always Chaplin.  Dad had talked about not going to the monthly meetings and when I expressed interest in joining he was happy as could be because he would ride to meeting with Dad. I can't really remember a better experience than joining and working through the degrees.

I was working 3rd shift when I took my 3rd and at that one point well I fell asleep. When shooting rubber bands at my head didn't work (Dad and my Uncle) Brother John slipped back there and whacked me on the leg with his stick.  The older man I learned my 1st with was a woot. He knew it he could give it word for word along with someone but on his own he got lost. The debate over phrasing of the oath during my 2nd and the 10 min debate that took place as I was in position. It was a truly special time because I had known all these older men all my life. Half of my teachers were their wives.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Guide.

Im not joking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I was laughing at the "OMG".
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was laughing at the "OMG".
View Quote
yeah.. cuz I know you know there are differences in a few states.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I find it interesting that there are so many differences that lead to the same place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They were silly enough to install me as WM for the 2nd time this week.
View Quote
Our lodge has never had anyone repeat WM....
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#35]
One Brother was Master of my Lodge four times.  He's also a PGM.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]
My coach was WM for 5 years, finally had someone else step up this year.  Problem with my lodge is it attendance, we had to put out calls for help for all 3 of my lectures.  There are times there aren't enough people there to even open up a MM lodge.  Sad but it is the reality here in many places in WV.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My coach was WM for 5 years, finally had someone else step up this year.  Problem with my lodge is it attendance, we had to put out calls for help for all 3 of my lectures.  There are times there aren't enough people there to even open up a MM lodge.  Sad but it is the reality here in many places in WV.
View Quote
WV has an extra big hurdle to overcome and that is the lack of communication with the membership and the profane.

Your websites suck too.   I mean this in the nicest possible way, Brother.

Ive been to your lodges and I know a Past DD pretty well, and when I want info on your gatherings, I'm screwed if I dont get it directly from a WV Brother.
Thats not good business and certainly wont attract new men.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
WV has an extra big hurdle to overcome and that is the lack of communication with the membership and the profane.

Ive been to your lodges and I know a Past DD pretty well, and when I want info on your gatherings, I'm screwed if I dont get it directly from a WV Brother.
View Quote
Agree with all that you have said. The communication is horrible. My lodge has zero web presence at all and the area lodges do some things on Facebook but even that is hit or miss.

My lodge also has a reputation for not letting people in. It took me 5 years before finally getting approved to join. That doesn't help people wanting to join either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Agree with all that you have said. The communication is horrible. My lodge has zero web presence at all and the area lodges do some things on Facebook but even that is hit or miss.

My lodge also has a reputation for not letting people in. It took me 5 years before finally getting approved to join. That doesn't help people wanting to join either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a thread on here about helping people join... I'll have to bump it or start a new one... a bunch of times, I personally contacted lodges on behalf of guys that were interested, I set up appointments or just gathered contact info... I kind of went above and beyond, but sometimes men are reluctant to make that first step.
Anyway a few years ago, there was a guy on here who was trying to join a lodge in WV. I contacted my Past DD buddy... explained and he told me what to do.  I contacted the Lodge.. Crickets... Back to my buddy.. He tried..... Crickets.... i tried again, and nothing.. By that time several months had past.   The guy lost interest and doesnt want to join anymore.  Every other state that I contacted, on behalf of other men, the response was immediate.

My buddy said, well thats just how it is.

EDIT This is my new thread... the old one got lost when the site upgraded.   Masons question thread.  I'm planning on bumping this after Christmas.  Kind of rude to do it today or tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top