Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
26 Boas!
View Quote

LOL 76 total snakes, two geckos, one GSD.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Placed an order for a small rack... this snake stuff is as bad as black rifles.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted for truth.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worse, guns can be untouched for years! Not checking your snakes cage just one time Leave your gun on the table an go to the bathroom, when you get done it's still there. Get your snake out an answer the phone, it's gone.

My 303 Enfield eat 303 an won't change. I've had snake decide I don't like the 100 rats you just gassed/bought, give me peeps or quail.

Never had a safe that took six months to ship. My last AP T10's where 11 months. It's as bad as the ATF.

I one good thing is:
Morph Market ships to the door!
Go spend your money!
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
On the menu tonight... rat, rabbit, and lamb.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lamb?  Retic food?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That reminded me to pull out feeders. I have hungry girls. I’m waiting until a pair unlocks and then I’ll feed. At what point does it make sense to breed your own rabbits? I think I’d rather do rabbits than nasty rats. So I’ll stick with froze.

Speaking of barn animals, I surprised the family with a pair of baby pygmy goats. I built a goat barn at my shop on a trailer. Drove the goats and barn to the house and surprised everyone. My wife has been asking for them for years.

I’m kinda bummed the Christmas “pets” didn’t come from MorphMarket. There was a snake I was eyeing. But the goats are tons of fun. They are following us around the property already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Lamb cheaper then piggies?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lamb?  Retic food?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lamb?  Retic food?

Ayup, for my biggest female.  The 8-10 lb rabbits only keep her content for a few days.  She's starting to look at our German Shepherd pretty hard.

Quoted:
That reminded me to pull out feeders. I have hungry girls. I’m waiting until a pair unlocks and then I’ll feed. At what point does it make sense to breed your own rabbits? I think I’d rather do rabbits than nasty rats. So I’ll stick with froze.

Not sure where you are but El Segundo Pythons sells larger feeders.  If you're close they charge $2/lb plus shipping.  I plan to get pigs from them soon since my local rabbit sources are tapped out.

Quoted:
Lamb cheaper then piggies?

Standard seems to be $2/lb plus shipping for bulk bunny or piggy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ayup, for my biggest female.  The 8-10 lb rabbits only keep her content for a few days.  She's starting to look at our German Shepherd pretty hard.

Not sure where you are but El Segundo Pythons sells larger feeders.  If you're close they charge $2/lb plus shipping.  I plan to get pigs from them soon since my local rabbit sources are tapped out.

Standard seems to be $2/lb plus shipping for bulk bunny or piggy.
View Quote

Man you need to hit the livestock auctions. 20# piglet with a hernia $2. .50 rabbits (not near Easter), $20 goats an cheap kids (not near Easter or Ramadan). There has to be some hobby farmers near you ask around. Or contact your Ag department.

At the auction I'm happy getting $20-30 for a 30# gilt off the tit.

Don't forget the free potbellies on Cragslist an check your local rescues.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Man you need to hit the livestock auctions. 20# piglet with a hernia $2. .50 rabbits (not near Easter), $20 goats an cheap kids (not near Easter or Ramadan). There has to be some hobby farmers near you ask around. Or contact your Ag department.
View Quote

The problem here is you don't know what meds or wormers that animal was given recently.  Some of that stuff is deadly to reptiles and amphibians.

ETA: Checked on Karma and that 15 lb lamb barely left a lump in her.  Her mom is a 20 footer and I expect one day she'll get there also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Added a new snake to the family today. My GF only asked for one thing for Christmas and I made it happen today.
Attachment Attached File

Sand Boa
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Added a new snake to the family today. My GF only asked for one thing for Christmas and I made it happen today.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/8BBF5CDE-25B0-489F-B2A9-16065A74DC27_jpe-1762297.JPG

Sand Boa
View Quote

Cute little dude!

Was at a small reptile show this weekend and saw a few that were probably less than 6" long.
Might add one at some point.

Did pick up a used CB70 rack today via CL... rack and VE-100 thermostat for just over 100$.
Already ordered Freedom Breeder tubs to replace the included ones.
Also going to replace the heat tape as the middle and bottom layer have bend/curls from catching tubs.

After buying new tubs and tape, I'm still going to be way ahead on costs.
Going to put that VE-100 on my Bearded Dragon's lamp and put this rack onto my Herpstat 2 2nd probe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah man this little girl is only 6-7 inches long right now. She won’t get to big even full grown. They are apparently very easy to keep from almost all accounts. After moving the boas into pvc we had leftover glass reptile glass enclosures and decided to use one for this. She’s pretty cool however we have only seen her for about 2 min before she buried and disappeared lol. She’s very cool but I don’t expect to see her very much
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did pick up a used CB70 rack today via CL... rack and VE-100 thermostat for just over 100$.
Already ordered Freedom Breeder tubs to replace the included ones.
Also going to replace the heat tape as the middle and bottom layer have bend/curls from catching tubs.
View Quote

A tip if you purchase used enclosures: clean then disinfect with ***ammonia*** because chlorine bleach, iodine, and F10 don't kill crypto.  Only 100% ammonia does after ten minutes.  Wash the enclosure very well afterward, then let air dry outside for a week and wash again to make sure the ammonia is all gone... because crypto can persist for months.

All of my enclosures are either used or home-built.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A tip if you purchase used enclosures: clean then disinfect with ***ammonia*** because chlorine bleach, iodine, and F10 don't kill crypto.  Only 100% ammonia does after ten minutes.  Wash the enclosure very well afterward, then let air dry outside for a week and wash again to make sure the ammonia is all gone... because crypto can persist for months.

All of my enclosures are either used or home-built.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! ??

Have it out in a shed for now, will disassemble it this week and give it a good scrub down.  Had planned on F10, followed by ammonia solution.... will expand that out.
I am a bit paranoid after researching Nidovirus (likely a good thing)... so was going to make sure every nook and cranny on that PVC gets a solid soaking.
Was going to replace all the tubs rather than try to clean em... having two with burns just made that easier.
My current snake is still in the 200gr range, so I have some time before the 70 series tub will be useful.??

I have the smaller VE rack in order, so will have that to use for a while to grow em out until that 70 series is needed.

Researching Boas now. I’m taken with the dark phase IMGs. Might start laying shekels back as I haven’t seen one cheap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip! ??

Have it out in a shed for now, will disassemble it this week and give it a good scrub down.  Had planned on F10, followed by ammonia solution.... will expand that out.
I am a bit paranoid after researching Nidovirus (likely a good thing)... so was going to make sure every nook and cranny on that PVC gets a solid soaking.
Was going to replace all the tubs rather than try to clean em... having two with burns just made that easier.
My current snake is still in the 200gr range, so I have some time before the 70 series tub will be useful.??

I have the smaller VE rack in order, so will have that to use for a while to grow em out until that 70 series is needed.

Researching Boas now. I’m taken with the dark phase IMGs. Might start laying shekels back as I haven’t seen one cheap.
View Quote

IMGs are the best check out VPI IMGs or RDR BEA IMGs they are some of the nicest combos imo.
AHP which is accelerated hydrogen peroxide also kills crypto. It is more expensive than ammonia but it is the only cleaner I use since it is safe around animals and kills everything without a strong smell or being caustic. I would worry more about crypto than nido or serpentovirus which is what it has been renamed. For the most part it is Covid-19 for snakes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IMGs are the best check out VPI IMGs or RDR BEA IMGs they are some of the nicest combos imo.
AHP which is accelerated hydrogen peroxide also kills crypto. It is more expensive than ammonia but it is the only cleaner I use since it is safe around animals and kills everything without a strong smell or being caustic. I would worry more about crypto than nido or serpentovirus which is what it has been renamed. For the most part it is Covid-19 for snakes.
View Quote

Have a gallon of AHP concentrate along with a shelf full of other veterinary cleaners and disinfectants... side effect bonus of fostering 'medical needs' dogs for a local rescue.

Learned to clean most of my house's hard surfaces to surgical standards while we fostered a paralyzed dog that had many open wounds from dragging himself around for an unknown period of time prior to being rescued.
We managed to heal him up without ever getting the wounds infected.
He's still a dick to any dog bigger than him though.
And he's found a forever home here.  I like to call him "Lt. Dan" when the wife isn't around.
Even hung a handicapped parking sign where we put his doggie-wheelchair when it isn't in use.

I'll be taking the rack apart this week to replace the tape.
I'll be cleaning it up at the same time.

I'll have it clean enough to eat off of, or house a snake... either way.

I am still researching Boas... but I'm leaning pretty heavy toward an IMG morph.  Found a VPI IMG for under 1K... but still trying to figure out if that's how I want to go.
Need to get a larger enclosure ordered for adult size housing if I'm going to add a boa.

That rack will also allow me to add a few more BP's... researching good matches for my female Champagne in-case I ever decide to try my hand at breeding. Might do a visual Pied, a Bamboo Enchi, or a Pinstripe Pastel Calico... or I might just grab a few more BP's that visually interest me and enjoy them as pets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
First meal with me lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have a gallon of AHP concentrate along with a shelf full of other veterinary cleaners and disinfectants... side effect bonus of fostering 'medical needs' dogs for a local rescue.

Learned to clean most of my house's hard surfaces to surgical standards while we fostered a paralyzed dog that had many open wounds from dragging himself around for an unknown period of time prior to being rescued.
We managed to heal him up without ever getting the wounds infected.
He's still a dick to any dog bigger than him though.
And he's found a forever home here.  I like to call him "Lt. Dan" when the wife isn't around.
Even hung a handicapped parking sign where we put his doggie-wheelchair when it isn't in use.

I'll be taking the rack apart this week to replace the tape.
I'll be cleaning it up at the same time.

I'll have it clean enough to eat off of, or house a snake... either way.

I am still researching Boas... but I'm leaning pretty heavy toward an IMG morph.  Found a VPI IMG for under 1K... but still trying to figure out if that's how I want to go.
Need to get a larger enclosure ordered for adult size housing if I'm going to add a boa.

That rack will also allow me to add a few more BP's... researching good matches for my female Champagne in-case I ever decide to try my hand at breeding. Might do a visual Pied, a Bamboo Enchi, or a Pinstripe Pastel Calico... or I might just grab a few more BP's that visually interest me and enjoythem as pets.
View Quote

Well your lucking you already have AHP! IMG VPI range from 2.5-4.5K make sure you buy from a reputable breeder because that price seems extremely low or IM their info so I can buy it. Lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Nice!
KSB have been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. When I get the space I will inevitably start breeding them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah she’s really cool. She is supposedly double het for Snow Splash. She’s about 6 months old right now. It was funny, we had to dig her out and put her in a dish to feed her. She didn’t like that much and was trying to flee as I expected. As soon as I put the pinkey down in the dish she stopped motionless and targeted it....then BAM BAM BAM. She started striking at it wildly until she got a solid grab and wrapped it up and swallowed it ass first lol
One more random pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a snake. I’m upgrading my breeder male. The new baby boy will be here when the weather is good. I hope he gets the weight for this coming season. Pics when he arrives.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought a snake. I’m upgrading my breeder male. The new baby boy will be here when the weather is good. I hope he gets the weight for this coming season. Pics when he arrives.
View Quote

DG? I have been looking for a breeder male to round out my projects but can't seem to find anything. Just want a male to hit to a handful of het clown combo females. Looking at maybe a enchi DG het clown.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

DG? I have been looking for a breeder male to round out my projects but can't seem to find anything. Just want a male to hit to a handful of het clown combo females. Looking at maybe a enchi DG het clown.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t have any hets right now, everything is visual DG... And that’s the thing. I don’t want 66 hets, so I went the other way. This is a visual Clown het DG. When put to my DG girls, will give me some banger double hets, or visual DG 100% het clowns... and I’ve got a few other ideas to add to this guy...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well your lucking you already have AHP! IMG VPI range from 2.5-4.5K make sure you buy from a reputable breeder because that price seems extremely low or IM their info so I can buy it. Lol
View Quote

Asked the seller for more info / parental lineage and he waffled.

Still claims IMG, but 'maybe VPI'.

Moving on....

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Found a Bamboo 100% Het Hypo male today... went to a show to grab a brick of coconut bedding and look for F-10.
That little boy couldn’t be passed by.

239gr currently.

Got a few empty slots in the rack still, trying to decide which way I want to go in the future but the Bamboo was one I wanted to add.

He looks more grey with flashes of tan and yellow in person... the photo really brings out the browns.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Found a Bamboo 100% Het Hypo male today... went to a show to grab a brick of coconut bedding and look for F-10.
That little boy couldn’t be passed by.

239gr currently.

Got a few empty slots in the rack still, trying to decide which way I want to go in the future but the Bamboo was one I wanted to add.

He looks more grey with flashes of tan and yellow in person... the photo really brings out the browns.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13093/91264D39-5753-4AE7-8084-9E72015F52D2_jpe-1773905.JPG
View Quote

Nice, male!  Bamboo is very overpowering but works well with leopard, enchi, champagne, banana, and calico. blackhead does some nice things as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice, male!  Bamboo is very overpowering but works well with leopard, enchi, champagne, banana, and calico. blackhead does some nice things as well.
View Quote

Got a female champagne that he might end up with in a few years.
Still unsure if I intend to breed, and if so... thought those two would make some pretty little snake kids
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I have room for a few males, and a few females...

Looking at going to a recessive or two in the next year or so.
Might go easy and add Pied to the rack, or a bit less common (in my area) and add Desert Ghost.

I think I could add a visual DG male pretty cheaply and a Het female or two pretty cheap, that should produce in a few years... but not 100% sure that DG is the way for me.

Might just sit on empty rack space a while and figure it out without pressure.

Pondering going all in and adding Pied, DG and Axanthic. I bet some interesting combos could surface there in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm pairing two females this season, one Boa Sigma, and one Savu Python.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm pairing two females this season, one Boa Sigma, and one Savu Python.
View Quote

Wow. Good luck with those!  

So far so good with my parings. Nothing nearly as exiting as yours.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have room for a few males, and a few females...

Looking at going to a recessive or two in the next year or so.
Might go easy and add Pied to the rack, or a bit less common (in my area) and add Desert Ghost.

I think I could add a visual DG male pretty cheaply and a Het female or two pretty cheap, that should produce in a few years... but not 100% sure that DG is the way for me.

Might just sit on empty rack space a while and figure it out without pressure.

Pondering going all in and adding Pied, DG and Axanthic. I bet some interesting combos could surface there in a few years.
View Quote

I’d rate DG and pied far above Axanthic. And I might have some visual DG males in 2021... just saying.

I have goals that range across short term/ seasonal, specific morph, grow out, hold back, equipment, financial, and long term project plans out for easily 8+ years.

Pic a project, but set goals. Instead of just a Yellow Belly Pied, shoot for a OD Dreamsicle. Or whatever tickles your fancy. Start collecting animals that would carry the genes to get you there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#34]
So here they are. They are all finally in their PVCs and passed quarantine. They are amazing. Small pic dump.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Four out of four retics agree... baby pig is awesome sauce.  I like feeding them better than rabbits - they don't stink like rodent.  If you need clean larger feeders El Segundo Pythons ships frozen piglets, and you can ask for weights between 1-6 pounds.

Ugh!  If you offer a thin-skinned feeder such as a "slipped" lamb to one of your larger-bodied snakes, things can get a tad messy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Western Diamondback rattlesnake who has taken up temporary residence.  The former owner couldn't keep it, new owner can't take possession until he closes on a house in a few weeks and moves out of his apartment.  Fortunately for all my quarantine enclosures were empty.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Western Diamondback rattlesnake who has taken up temporary residence.  The former owner couldn't keep it, new owner can't take possession until he closes on a house in a few weeks and moves out of his apartment.  Fortunately for all my quarantine enclosures were empty.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/wdb_in_shed_jpg-1816896.JPG
View Quote

Good for you Bubbles!  Extra snake Karma coming to you.  I had a similar situation going through a divorce and had to have a good friend babysit a couple of animals until I closed on a new place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Need some new pics soon, but I'm gonna say that my male Everglades rat snake has turned a corner on size.  He knocked down a medium guinea pig I had left over from my Taiwan beauty snake like it was nothing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Need some new pics soon, but I'm gonna say that my male Everglades rat snake has turned a corner on size.  He knocked down a medium guinea pig I had left over from my Taiwan beauty snake like it was nothing.
View Quote

Holy carp I had no idea they got that big!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#40]
He's about six feet right now.  In all fairness, I grabbed the smallest of the guinea pigs that were still left.  Lol!  I'm going to have to get more feeders soon, so I'm trying to clean things out.  The female got a couple of quail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Working on a gun project the other day (within sight) letting the male get some exercise in the tree (he's in there somewhere) while the fur boy makes sure he stays treed..
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Danger noodle shed, pooped, and ate.  Pic is of him happily digesting.
Attachment Attached File

He still rarely buzzes.  Usually he does at night if there's just one light on and your shadow crosses in front of him when you walk by.  My other snakes also hate when I'm backlit so I try to keep several reflected lights on in the room when I work with them, as they also react badly to harsh shadows moving in their vicinity.

He is also a much faster killer of rats than the constrictors are.  Rat got nipped, jumped, flipped, and was done when it hit the floor.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Getting the indigo out to soak up some sun. He's definitely over two feet now.  Have to maximize it now before it's 110° outside.

I've been a little hesitant to let him crawl on his own being this small and fast, but he's totally chill out there.  Just have to stay close in case a Coopers hawk grows a pair.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Still love those drymarchon face markings.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#46]
We still have snow on the ground.  It's going to be months before I can take mine out for sun time.

We had an adult retic out and one of our resident neighborhood hawks came swooping down.  He got too close for my comfort before realizing that the snake he was going after outweighed him by a good bit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We still have snow on the ground.  It's going to be months before I can take mine out for sun time.

We had an adult retic out and one of our resident neighborhood hawks came swooping down.  He got too close for my comfort before realizing that the snake he was going after outweighed him by a good bit.
View Quote

That Sucks!  Maybe some day I'll be a reverse snow bird and spend my summers back East.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm curious as to how long the Eastern babies maintain the white flecks between their back scales.  Thought they would be gone by now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I got a new snake! MBK. Only decent pic I have.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Please go on.  Always dug Black kings.  Just wish they got bigger.
Page / 13
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top