Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 8:36:40 AM EDT
you could tell something was up--acting very odd.  came on fairly quick

symptoms:
- lethargic  not wanting to move-he was a very active cat
- does not appear to be eating
- lets out an odd meow when you pet anything below his neck
- hasn't pooped that I can tell, but hasn't eaten either...
- has peed at least once in litter

brought to emergency pet doc (of course tey always get sick on weekend)
- gave some fluids, took xray, got some antibiotics which he has had one dose so far-- x ray was inconclusive
They are going to have another doc review it today, and also send films to regular vet to have a look.
no blood work so far--already 6 bills into this...

hes two years old-- not sure whats going on

him resting in this bag yeaterday--never seen him do that before--but he does like climbing in ANY box around the house

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sorry to hear about your little buddy.  I hope it turns out to be something not to serious and he can go back to being active and healthy again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry for your kitty troubles OP

Cats are very stoic and their adrenal system make them very robust

If kitty is that sick something is seriously wrong, have them keep looking

good man
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
catdrens can be expensive.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks all-- hopefully the other doc sees something (or not) and has an idea what to do --or the antibiotics kick in...After having many kittahs, I kinda have a bad feeling...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you feed him dry food?
Ask vet to check for a urinary tract blockage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Bloodwork would be my priority, were I in your shoes.  Very surprised they didn't check it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
These two things do not coincide.   I can safely assume that one of the first things they considered was a urinary tract obstruction.  

How old is your cat?  Indoor/outdoor?

Cschelk2 DVM
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
indoor, but goes out onto screen porch

vaccinated of course

dry food

did urinate last night in litter

docs suggested either xray or bloodwork...they said start with x-ray, which we did, as I figured with the pain he was seemingly having, maybe an xray would show something.  They said inconclusive--At least one other doc will have a look today at his xrays

I'm not against bloodwork, its just we are already 600 in, and at the time, bloodwork was another 300... I know...what is my pet worth to me....
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
indoor, but goes out onto screen porch

vaccinated of course

dry food

did urinate last night in litter

docs suggested either xray or bloodwork...they said start with x-ray, which we did, as I figured with the pain he was seemingly having, maybe an xray would show something.  They said inconclusive--At least one other doc will have a look today at his xrays

I'm not against bloodwork, its just we are already 600 in, and at the time, bloodwork was another 300... I know...what is my pet worth to me....
View Quote
Bloodwork is basic cat care. It will save you money to attend to medical needs quickly. Pets cost money. Consider buying insurance. Trupanion is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#11]
guessing we will be getting bloodwork-- prob today
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, I guess I get a deal at my vet.  Bloodwork and an office visit were only $187.  Hope the second vet can get your little bud diagnosed and on the road to being a happy cat again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Geez...$300 for blood work seems steep. Good to get done, though. I just dropped $900 on 3 of mine...3 ear infections, 2 with thyroid issues and one UTI. One is pushing 20 and the 2 others are about 16. Once the antibiotics kicked in they were back to normal. Thyroid issue only requires pills. Good luck, hope nothing serious!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
SOON.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SOON.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bloodwork is basic cat care. It will save you money to attend to medical needs quickly. Pets cost money. Consider buying insurance. Trupanion is awesome.
View Quote
Thanks.  I think I will look into that.  I'm really getting attached to my two furballs, and the thought of letting them die because I won't spend an exorbitant about to fix them is something I've been thinking about lately.

OP, I hope your kitty gets better soon.  Mine are like yours, indoor, access to the screened porch when I'm home.  An acute attack like yours in having seems odd.

ETA - I got the policy that covers each with a $700 deductible.  $50 a month.  To get a $200 deductible would have been $100 a month.  $700 out of pocket for a serious problem is within my comfort zone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The lack of bm makes me think the kitteh is backed up.  Mine does this if we put him on dry food.  The symptoms maych anyway.  Pee no poo, no eating and only drinking, lots of laying around and no eating.  
He gets backed up and then has to go in to the vet to get cleared out.  Cats systems can fail after a week in this state, renal systems iirc.  A vet should be able to tell if the cat is backed up, solid masses can be felt on the torso of the cat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
the other cat has been acting really weird around him too....like hissing at him for nothing and crouching around...very odd

not sure if they had a Meowweather/McKittah battle or what...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#19]
will check for BM when I get home

wife brought some food into where he was lying and I guess he gobbled it up.

if I get home and hes not showing any improvement or worse, hes going in to our regular vet

th emergency vet apparently said no backup....
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the other cat has been acting really weird around him too....like hissing at him for nothing and crouching around...very odd

not sure if they had a Meowweather/McKittah battle or what...
View Quote
Not a good sign...your cat is definitely ill, something the other kitty is reacting to. His scent may be "off" so he smells like a stranger to your other kitty? Not sure what the real answer is, but they can sense something off/wrong with another cat, especially one they live with day in and day out.

I hope your regular vet can get to the bottom of whatever is making your poor guy feel so bad. Good luck, OP (and kitty!).
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not a good sign...your cat is definitely ill, something the other kitty is reacting to. His scent may be "off" so he smells like a stranger to your other kitty? Not sure what the real answer is, but they can sense something off/wrong with another cat, especially one they live with day in and day out.

I hope your regular vet can get to the bottom of whatever is making your poor guy feel so bad. Good luck, OP (and kitty!).
View Quote
My cats always beat up the cat that's been to the vet. They're fine when the kitty is sick, it's the smell of the vet they object to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
no calls/replies from either vet...
guess will go  home and see how kittah is doing.
hopefully something that the antibiotics can help with
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Update? The animal shelter here operates a nice affordable clinic. I've taken pets there for things like blood tests. Maybe call yours and get a price?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
kittah still kicking... got up this morning and he was about the same.  he ate his food (wet) and wizzed a bit in the box

he has some real issues with his left side, upper center/front -- got a bump there that I tried to look at by moving his hair--he would not let me get near it without mewing and wincing.  I think that's the source of his issues....or a good part of it

I called reg. vet--gonna bring him in today, if nothing else to look at the spot and give him a once over.

not real impressed with emergency vet--1. didn't notice the pain/lump on his left side 2. took xrays, but didn't have a "good" film reader to look over the films...they said they were going to have someone do it yesterday--never heard from them.  3. the said the films would be sent to reg vet-- have not done.

good times
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
kittah still kicking... got up this morning and he was about the same.  he ate his food (wet) and wizzed a bit in the box

he has some real issues with his left side, upper center/front -- got a bump there that I tried to look at by moving his hair--he would not let me get near it without mewing and wincing.  I think that's the source of his issues....or a good part of it

I called reg. vet--gonna bring him in today, if nothing else to look at the spot and give him a once over.

not real impressed with emergency vet--1. didn't notice the pain/lump on his left side 2. took xrays, but didn't have a "good" film reader to look over the films...they said they were going to have someone do it yesterday--never heard from them.  3. the said the films would be sent to reg vet-- have not done.

good times
View Quote
You have to be an advocate for your animal. Some vets are shitbirds, just like anyone else in any other proffession. It's up to you to make sure kitty gets what he needs. One reason I picked my vet is that they're 24/7 and very serious about their job.

If that were my kitty, I'd be freaked the fuck out. I'd be on my regular vet's doorstep when they came in to open. Have you had the E-vet send films and records to the regular vet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#26]
wifey (who took kittah in t e-vet) is going to call e-vet this morning to see what they found/if they had their "good" x-ray reader have a look yet.

I got the call in for reg vet, and kitt will be there for a visit this afternoon.

He's doing "ok", but I want to figure out what the heck he's got going on with his side that hurts so much.  Its really slowing him down.  Seems like physical "damage" to his side somehow.  

He jumped in the cat carrier last night and slept in there--maybe he WANTS to go to vet

we did find some hair on the screen porch (looked like both their hair) sun morning.  I noticed the new neighbors let their at out and its been coming over...our cats freak when the see it and wonder if they both got spooked and then turned on each other.  Possibly kittah getting the brunt somehow even though he's bigger and stronger than the girl kittah.  Will prob never know, just want him well
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#27]
That kinda behavior always gets me worried.  Hope he pulls though, losing a pet is always rough.  I made two grave markers for our backyard in the back near the fire pit.    A physical injury for a cat always seems a lot easier for them to deal with than a virus, or something else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe a Cat bite abscess...
Wouldn't show up on X-ray until it's swollen like it is now.
Usually they are painful. May want to drop him off if your vet allows and you are able that way if it is they can sedate, deflate, and medicate!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe a Cat bite abscess...
Wouldn't show up on X-ray until it's swollen like it is now.
Usually they are painful. May want to drop him off if your vet allows and you are able that way if it is they can sedate, deflate, and medicate!
View Quote
thinking this

talked to reg vet and they mentioned the same thing.

got apt at 4. fonna find out!

hopefully the antibiotics are at least helping a bit...
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Hope he/she gets better soon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Something stung/bit your cat. (snake/scorpion/spider etc)
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Something stung/bit your cat. (snake/scorpion/spider etc)
View Quote
wombat
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had this happen to a cat I had years ago.  $850 for surgery and had to change diet to special canned cat food that cost $1 per can 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#34]
In for the update!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#35]
kitt WAS broke

too bad the original emergency vet didn't notice the bulge and obvious pain he had in that area.....

...and they STILL did nor review the xrays like they said they would

reg vet got the films but zero "readings" of the x-rays

so anyway.. brought to reg vet.  I told him of the obvious bump and pain kittah was having on left side

he shaved the pussy and found the lump---squeezed a bit an it oozed

he took kittah to op room and did this:  (complete with cone of shame)

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Dang, I am glad the vet was able to get him fixed up but it was apparently a really big abscess I imagine judging by the scar.  Hope your kitty heals quickly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm glad you got kitty seen and taken care of.

I want to smack the e-vet for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#38]
thanks
he seems MUCH happier... tripping balls on the pain meds

what's annoying is we TOLD E-vet that he had severe pain on left side indicated when you touched him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow, that was one hell of an abscess. Keep us updated on the kittah's progress.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Burn the e-vet on any review sites. Glad the problem was found, hope kittah is back to normal soon!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Burn the e-vet on any review sites. Glad the problem was found, hope kittah is back to normal soon!
View Quote
Seriously?  How can you possibly state this without being there and knowing the situation?   Often times an abscess will start out as a pin point puncture and nothing more; by the time the cat acts different it may be healed up and impossible to notice a problem.  It's not uncommon to take several days for an abscess to grow in size and be noticeable.   Clearly there was a problem and fortunately for the OP and his cat, it appears to be under control but for someone to suggest burning them online via reviews; it's just asinine.  I deal with this all the time; medicine is not black and white, especially when your patient can't talk.   I can't speak for this situation but i've been in similar ones and i'm sure the Vet did what was ideal at that time.  

Unfortunately comments and clients that act like this are what really discourage veterinarians (go look up the career with the highest suicide rate).  Think before you speak and if you dont know the situation or the topic involved; don't.

Cschelk2 DVM
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I aint gonna tear em a new one online...but they did send a " how did we do" email to us that I will explain the situation.  I even noticed the sever pain, would think they would have.
I am just bummed we paid over three bills for a useless xray that they didn't really look at....
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Checking to see how the kitty is recovering.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Glad to hear your possum is feeling better!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Very glad kitty is getting well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top