Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 12:50:00 PM EDT
I am looking at a couple GSD pups with AKC parents, papers and certificates included showing bloodline for the parents which are also available to see with the puppies.

According to the owner pups will "..be registered. they will have shots at 6 weeks and then have a 2nd parvo shot at 8 weeks. the fecal will be tested at the 8 week appointment and will recieve health certificates as required by law. They will not be fixed as registered puppies generally will be wanted for future breeding".

I've never purchased a puppy before, but have owned two GSDs in my childhood. The owners is asking $500 each and will be ready in 4 weeks. They are not a certified breeder.

Is this something I should pass up, or is an AKC bloodline with papers pretty cut and dry? I will be asking which shots they will receive and relay to my vet to see if that is all they will need.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Pass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Duly noted, any particular reason why?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Many reasons, not necessarily in order:

- I see nothing about the accomplishment of the breeders.  Good breeders are usually reputable competitors.
- AKC doesn't necessarily mean quality.  
- Unusually low price for pups.  Higher prices does not necessarily mean higher quality, but breeding quality dogs is expensive.  I hate how the prices have increased in the past 12-15 years, but at $500 per pup, I don't know how they would break even, let alone make a profit.  
- No information on the pedigree.  No idea what you'd get.

If you just want a GSD pet, I recommend a pet quality pup from a working line breeder.  Check out some local Schutzhund clubs.  That should help get a better on what you want.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many reasons, not necessarily in order:

- I see nothing about the accomplishment of the breeders.  Good breeders are usually reputable competitors.
- AKC doesn't necessarily mean quality.  
- Unusually low price for pups.  Higher prices does not necessarily mean higher quality, but breeding quality dogs is expensive.  I hate how the prices have increased in the past 12-15 years, but at $500 per pup, I don't know how they would break even, let alone make a profit.  
- No information on the pedigree.  No idea what you'd get.

If you just want a GSD pet, I recommend a pet quality pup from a working line breeder.  Check out some local Schutzhund clubs.  That should help get a better on what you want.
View Quote
Great, thank you for that info. I was sent pictures of the Certificates and the bloodline (which looks good) but I don't know enough about that stuff to make a decision based on that. I was told they purchased these two parents 4 weeks before they bred.

I know that generally a high rep breeder will charge over $1k but at $500 it's in my price range right now and if legitimate would be quite the find.

I was sent these pictures, maybe they are of some use to someone proficient in these dogs.

FEMALE

MALE

Edit: The pedigree seems to show history of a german breeder based off the info on the certificate and some googling
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Those do not look like the photos of a pure GSD breeding line, I'd pass as any savings you get up front will likely be more than outrun by future medical expenses...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those do not look like the photos of a pure GSD breeding line, I'd pass as any savings you get up front will likely be more than outrun by future medical expenses...
View Quote
Yeah I don't see strong pure GSD traits, but like I said I'm no expert. Thanks for the advice

Edit: looking closer at the pedigree there is some wolf in the female bloodline
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
You can look at the pedigree here.

I'd be happy to take a look if you send me the sire and dame registered names.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
the female looks like some GSDs I have seen from Czech Rep.  Good dogs but that is just from the markings lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you want the dog for? Pet/show/protection/sport?
Have the parents had hips and elbows x-rayed/certified? If not - PASS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
do not buy a $500 German shepherd

you will spend a fortune on trying to make that dogs life tolerable and it will break your heart (i have gone thru this myself 2x)

they are a very over bred breed that has many defects  because of irresponsible breeding   

only a reputable breeder is the way to go plan on $1,800 and up (i know sometimes you will find a great dog for less)
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
My sister used to breed GSDs.  She switched to smaller dogs because even at $1200ea its not that profitable to breed quality GSDs.  The AKC pedigree means absolutely nothing.  Seriously, it's just a scrap of paper.  GSDs suffer from hip dysplasia as their primary defect, and there are two ways to test for that, OFA and PennHIP.  If both parents hadn't been given a clean bill of health using both methods, and don't have a lengthy history of puppies with good joints, don't buy from them.  Lots of irresponsible GSD breeders will let females with dysplasia issues continue to breed and pass along the poor genetic health to their puppies.  My sister had to spay several females that she had planned to use for breeding after they were old enough to be tested for OFA/PennHIP and didn't score well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top