Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:10:58 PM EDT
We are looking for a new puppy, and I want a dog that is good for home protection. I already know about GDS's, Belgian Malinois,  I just got my wife a Springer Spaniel puppy that is now 4 months old, so that will be his buddy. The dogs will go the dog park most every day and my wife will probably end up running it in agility. Must be good with kids of all ages, and other pets and animals and be able to tolerate the heat well, as we live in the hot ass desert and our second home is hotter than hell Lake Havasu. What other options are there out there?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't laugh but have you looked at Standard Poodles?

They are a working breed, from bite work to home protection.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Doberman. They just naturally know what to do as a guard dog, and if good temperament and socialized when young are better around kids and smaller dogs than any other breed I've seen. Very little shedding, some hair loss when it is wicked hot out. Playful as all hell. We have 'solicitors' come by from time to time, one bark from our boy and they leave as soon as they get to the door.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Great dogs, and very protective
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Anatolian Shepherd

Large, rugged and powerful, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog is a working guard dog, possessing a superior ability to protect livestock. While not a "glamour" breed, the Anatolian's loyalty, independence and hardiness is cherished by breeders and owners.

Personality: Calm, watchful, loyal, and smart; protective and territorial
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Curious as to why you don't want a GSD? Mine is great in all the areas you describe (except maybe the heat part.)

Agreed a Mal is probably not for most people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anatolian Shepherd

Large, rugged and powerful, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog is a working guard dog, possessing a superior ability to protect livestock. While not a "glamour" breed, the Anatolian's loyalty, independence and hardiness is cherished by breeders and owners.

View Quote
lol.

Dobermans would be good for agility.

My preference for protection is akitas.  But thet aren't the most heat tolerant (at all).
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Curious as to why you don't want a GSD? Mine is great in all the areas you describe (except maybe the heat part.)

Agreed a Mal is probably not for most people.
View Quote
Never said I didn't want one. My wife is not to fond of them, so I am looking at other options. That said, I'm still very interested in GSD's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best part, no shedding.
I want one desperately, well 2 actually. I just haven't got my wife trained up enough to be a good owner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never said I didn't want one. My wife is not to fond of them, so I am looking at other options. That said, I'm still very interested in GSD's.
View Quote
Ok what doesn't she like about them?

Pic of my 8mo old GSD babysitting kittens for reference...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok what doesn't she like about them?

Pic of my 8mo old GSD babysitting kittens for reference...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68059/IMG_1145-273806.JPG
View Quote
Nice looking pup. She thinks they are to ski dish and doesn't like the way they look. That said, our friend got one that was small, and she said she would probably be ok with that size.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Boxer.

1) Pillow for children
2) Tremendous athletes
3) Makes New Mexico State Trooper pee in his pants when he knocked on our Motorhome door
4) LOVES to "go go"
5) Almost can catch a deer.
6) I can`t whip him,,,too strong
7) Guards kitchen/wife/me 24/7 for very low pay,,,a few steak bites, salmon skins, pie crust pieces, leftover scrambled eggs, french fries etc.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice looking pup. She thinks they are to ski dish and doesn't like the way they look. That said, our friend got one that was small, and she said she would probably be ok with that size.
View Quote
A well bred GSD should never be skiddish. In fact the breed standard is confident yet slightly aloof toward strangers. It can be tough to find a reputable breeder but when you do it's worth it. A female might fit your bill. Can't help you on the looks department.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I've heard giant schnauzers make good protection dogs too
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Anatolian Shepherd.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol.

Dobermans would be good for agility.

My preference for protection is akitas.  But thet aren't the most heat tolerant (at all).
View Quote
LOL????!!!???

You sir obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Anatolians take out wolves and predatory cats in Africa.
Their protective instinct is bred in to them, they are autonomous guardians.
In Turkey they patrol with their flocks unsupervised by humans.
They have strong flock/pack/family ties and are always quietly watching everything going on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Boxer.

1) Pillow for children
2) Tremendous athletes
3) Makes New Mexico State Trooper pee in his pants when he knocked on our Motorhome door
4) LOVES to "go go"
7) Guards kitchen/wife/me 24/7 for very low pay,,,a few steak bites, salmon skins, pie crust pieces, leftover scrambled eggs, french fries etc.
View Quote
on a similar note, a Rhodesian Ridgeback could fit the bill. 

8) Loves the heat and sand - my dog goes apeshit for sand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Boxer.

1) Pillow for children
2) Tremendous athletes
4) LOVES to "go go"
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Caucasian ovcharka.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
giant schnauzer
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Someone actually knows shit about dogs.
Lol one of the meanest working k9 I ever was around was no shit a big fucking white one namned Jacques. That fucker bit on sleeves harder thasn some rotts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anatolian Shepherd

View Quote
I owned a pair. Male would have cooked steaks for me had I been able to explain to him how. Female was a fucking nutcase who was terrified of fireworks, metal bowls and storms.
Literally the best and worst dogs I ever had.
Cancer got them both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a Mountain Curr mix right now but we have had a couple Airedales that we're really versatile.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Dogo Argentino?  Rotweiller, Doberman, Belgian Tervern, Malinois, Russian Terrier, bearded collie, smooth coated collie,  ....   Maybe give us an idea of the size dog you are thinking of...30-50 pounds, 50-75 pounds, 75-100, etc.  It doesn't take a huge dog to be a great family dog and watch dog.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I love rottweilers.  Naturally protective of their pack, affectionate, and playful.  If you don't want a large one, get a female.  They are more protective by nature than the males.  Regarding the post about a standard poodle, I've had various breeds I've owned protection trained and one of the trainers said a standard poodle makes a great protection dog.  They're smart, they don't shed, and they have almost no dog odor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 for Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love rottweilers.  Naturally protective of their pack, affectionate, and playful.  If you don't want a large one, get a female.  They are more protective by nature than the males.  Regarding the post about a standard poodle, I've had various breeds I've owned protection trained and one of the trainers said a standard poodle makes a great protection dog.  They're smart, they don't shed, and they have almost no dog odor.
View Quote
Rotties are like Mals, buyer beware.  I worked (went broke) as a Vet Tech in VA Beach and a 95 lb. girl asked be for help handling a 135 .lb alpha intact Rot, daily weights and shit in boarding.  

He bounced his big head off of my Dego head twice, I explained to him the facts.  The cute little gal that got her head bounced by that lug.

Rots are fucking lazy after 12 feet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you looking for an actual protection dog? i.e. one that will bite/defend if necessary? Or just one that alert/bark and put on a visual/audible deterrent? The first type is much more complicated and should involve a trainer experienced in working with this type of dog - the later, gives you a lot of options... Blue Heelers are awesome dogs and great for guarding/barking/growling as a home deterrent. They are super smart, very biddable and make good dogs in active homes. If you want an actual personal protection dog, let me know and we can go deeper into that conversation, just understand getting that requires pretty extensive training and will limit the breeds.

On a separate subject, I know a lot of people like them, but reconsider the dog park. They are full of dogs that have no manners and owners that have no control of the dogs. While there are health requirements, they are still full of all sorts of possible medical issues. Last but not least, your dog needs exercise - but doesn't really need interaction with "strange" dogs. Keep your dogs engaged on you and your family and find safer ways to get them physical and mental stimulation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Good questions in here. I was teasing about the Caucasian ovcharka.

OP should tell us if he wants a noisemaker or a biter. If the former a jack russel is small, doesn't take up a lot of space and will make a hell of a racket to summon his master with a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I would say Boxer fits the bill, but NOT for the "hot as hell" part. We love Boxers and currently have 3, but they are not good with excessive heat.

I second the "avoid the dog park like the f-ing plague" post above as well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top