Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

This vote for the Oasis is significant.

Did you like the Paperwhite at all?

View Quote

It other than the improved (more even) lighting over my final Nook (which was also lit), it wasn't so much of an upgrade as a sidegrade, giving up removable storage and buttons.  The Oasis was a huge upgrade over both, once I came to grips with the fact that I didn't really need removable storage, I just needed enough storage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a paperwhite; they seem to last about 20-24 months before the screens start to die. But then I read 300-400 books a year and recharge every night.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]

I have seen this page-turn function, but my kindle does not have it.  Just the click of the buttons.

My phone Kindle app...it just swipes left and right.  No curly page feature.

I'm thinking the Kindles I'm looking at won't have that curly page thing.

I admit that I do like it.   But does it add that much to reader experience when I'm deep in a story?

HOnestly, I think it probably doesn't.

I just want the next page with absolutely no hassle.

Even my phone manages to do that, with the Kindle app.

My friend's iPad does that fun page turn thingy.

I like it, but after using my plain Kindle (doesn't have that) and now the kindle app on my phone (also no page turn effect)  I won't make my choice based on that.

It is interesting how quickly I have given up the trappings for what really matters as far as user experience.

View Quote
Full disclosure, I had to enable it under Settings.   It's not the default.  I see it on both my Samsung Tab and my iPhone, what phone are you using?

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#6]
The pads like the Fire tend to not be as easy on the eyes and book text is noticeably less sharp then a dedicated e-reader.
If you want to read a book, buy an e-reader, especially with the new e-ink screens that have much sharper displays.

Don't turn down a NOOK because Barnes & Nobel may go out of business.  
Like all e-readers you can download books from any source so even if the company of gone, the reader will still work just great.
I use can use the NOOK, the KOBO, and the Kindle Keyboard to download books from Amazon, Barnes & Nobel, my local library, and any other source with no problem.
If it's in a different format then the reader I'm using, just run it through Calibre and convert it to any other format.

The add-on for Calibre is not to get free books, it's to make a book YOURS.  
When you buy a book from book sellers it's not really yours and you can't do a lot with it.
When you check out a book from a library you only have a limited time to read it, then like Cinderella's coach it turns int a useless pumpkin.
With the Calibre add-in I can keep the book and read it when I'm ready.

Having used all three extensively (3-4 hours a night, every night) I'd wait for a Kindle Oasis, which I  intend to buy as soon as I can fund it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've mostly used the Kindle app on my Samsung Galaxy phone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By d16man:
I'm still using a 2nd Gen Kindle (might be 3rd).  Charcoal in color with a keyboard and page buttons on the sides.
View Quote

I had that generation of Kindle for years and I loved it. I now have a Paperwhite and I mostly like it, but not as much as the keyboard model.

I carry a Kindle because the battery life is ridiculously long. And I don't like reading a lot of text on a computer or phone screen if I don't have to do so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The old Kindle Keyboard was an absolute tank.
I bought mine 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

I just figured to buy a new e-reader while I had some spare cash and I bought the KOBO Libra H20.
I wish I'd bit the bullet and bought the Amazon Oasis.  Now I have to save up the bucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had my paperwhite for 4 years. I'm just now starting to notice somewhat degraded battery life, but that means I have to charge every 2-3 weeks instead of 4. It's been awesome. Probably has been to more countries than most people have. No regrets, when it finally shits the bed I will order a new paperwhite and not look back.

You should also get the "send to kindle" app on your computer. You can send PDFs, docs, and ebooks to your device over wifi super easily with it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The old Kindle Keyboard was an absolute tank.
I bought mine 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

I just figured to buy a new e-reader while I had some spare cash and I bought the KOBO Libra H20.
I wish I'd bit the bullet and bought the Amazon Oasis.  Now I have to save up the bucks.
View Quote

Loved mine. It survived a trip to Iraq and Afghanistan, only to have one of my kids accidentally break the screen lol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#15]
An old Kindle that my oldest daughter purchased five of them as a deal at ~$35.00 each and gave them out as Christmas presents five or six years ago.

It really SUCKED at first, pushing too many ads ALL the damn time so I jail broke them and realized they were actually pretty damn nice once I got rid of all the damn crap.

Battery still doing great.

FBReader is my goto EPub app, works well and the free version is not too pushy wanting you to get the paid version.

What I really like about FBReader on android is that the background has a slightly yellowish "texture" and is very easy on the eyes and looks really close to how old printed paper looks.

Neither the Linux or Windows pc versions have the printed paper looking background so they are a little harsh to read but the Android version ROCKS!!

Also use FBReader on my Android phone.

Edit: Just looked it up, its a Kindle Fire 5Th gen 7" screen.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#17]

This is interesting.  I will look.

Wish I had the knowledge to jail break anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:
An old Kindle that my oldest daughter purchased five of them as a deal at ~$35.00 each and gave them out as Christmas presents five or six years ago.

It really SUCKED at first, pushing too many ads ALL the damn time so I jail broke them and realized they were actually pretty damn nice once I got rid of all the damn crap.

FBReader is my goto EPub app, works well and the free version is not too pushy wanting you to get the paid version.

What I really like about FBReader on android is that the background has a slightly yellowish "texture" and is very easy on the eyes and looks really close to how old printed paper looks.

Neither the Linux or Windows pc versions have the printed paper looking background so they are a little harsh to read but the Android version ROCKS!!

The ads are really not a big deal. The only time I see them are on the lock screen, not on the home screen and no "pop-ups" while you're reading or anything.

Fire might be different, but the fire isn't a reader, it's a tablet.

Attachment Attached File

Home screen, no ad.

Attachment Attached File

Lock screen, that's an ad that goes away when you turn the Kindle on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Does your paperwhite have page-turn buttons?

If not, how do you turn the page?  Is it a touch screen, and you just swipe it?

View Quote

Touchscreen, swipe or can tap right or left like turning a page.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]
For dedicated reader I still use the Fire HD - esp if I have internet access.  This is away from home platform.

For home use I will use my computer to read books via web interface or calibre.

If I was parked up in the wilds of Wy in a cement yurt, running off of solar panels and drinking bottled water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095RLTZ9M?tag=arfcom00-20

The Kobo Sage could be another option.  
15 file formats supported natively (EPUB, EPUB3, FlePub, PDF, MOBI, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR)

I was an early adopter of a few e-book readers, all of them pretty much sucked when using it.  I did have a small e-ink book reader but it had issues liking Korean language over English.

If someone said you can only have one, got to be proven tech - I prob look go for an Amazon paper white style reader.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:

Neither did I, but after watching a few Youtube videos it worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhilipPeake] [#21]
I have a keypad Kindle. I do a lot of reading at night, and used to do a lot on a plane. Having to fiddle around with a reading light became a pain.
I bought a Paperwhite a few years ago. I thought I would miss the page turn keys, can't say that I do. Took me a couple of days to get used to it.
The Paperwhite screen is amazing. If you want, you can turn the illumination off and it's just like your current screen, but turn it on, even low and
it really does look like good quality white paper.

Turn off the lights and the screen illumination makes it quite readable.

The latest firmware update even lets you choose to display the cover artwork of the current book rather than the built-in patterns when off.

The new version, available in a week or so lets you choose the illumination color, so that if you don't like the blue-white color at night, you can
make it more orange (or whatever).

Stick with the Kindle is my vote.

BTW, page turn is just touch the side of the screen - no need to swipe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My recent model Paperwhite got the new software update about a week ago.

While some features are much better, it has made it much slower on anything that requires an internet connection.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
My recent model Paperwhite got the new software update about a week ago.

While some features are much better, it has made it much slower on anything that requires an internet connection.
View Quote

The last update cost me money.
My Paperwhite used to go a couple of weeks before needing to be re-charged.
Then it told me it needed charging - charged it. Next day, it was down to 45% and by he time I had finished reading, needed charging again.
It wouldn't hold a charge. I put it down to a dying battery, and ordered a new one.

Charged up the nw one. Next day, it was at 45% ... maybe I didn't charge it enough ... try again.
Bed time: 100% start reading. An hour later, battery is at 50% !?!?!?

Put it in "airplane mode", now it lasts for ages - coincidentally, so dos the old one.

Looks like there is a problem with the new version that keeps the WiFI/cell connection running full time rather than periodically firing up for just a few seconds to check.
Airplane mode forces it to off all the time.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:

The last update cost me money.
My Paperwhite used to go a couple of weeks before needing to be re-charged.
Then it told me it needed charging - charged it. Next day, it was down to 45% and by he time I had finished reading, needed charging again.
It wouldn't hold a charge. I put it down to a dying battery, and ordered a new one.

Charged up the nw one. Next day, it was at 45% ... maybe I didn't charge it enough ... try again.
Bed time: 100% start reading. An hour later, battery is at 50% !?!?!?

Put it in "airplane mode", now it lasts for ages - coincidentally, so dos the old one.

Looks like there is a problem with the new version that keeps the WiFI/cell connection running full time rather than periodically firing up for just a few seconds to check.
Airplane mode forces it to off all the time.

View Quote

I'm pretty much having exactly the opposite problem. It seems like it turns the net connection off and then takes 2-3 minutes to the reconnect when it needs to get something from the net, be it a download or simply a library list. And it locks up completely when that is going on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#27]

I am leaning more and more toward this.  I think I will save up for this and get the one with no ads.  I have gotten really used to reading on my phone, and I NEVER EVER EVER thought I would read on my phone.  But I'm half way through a textbook on agronomy and soil science....   On. My.  Phone.    

And the kindle app on my phone does the  "touch the side of the screen to turn the page" or swipe.

If I can get used to this, I can surely get used to the paperwhite.  The new interface with the color adaptations seems like a good upgrade.  

All my ebooks are kindle, and though I hate the zon with every fiber of my being (and also love what the Zon did for authors--giving them some of their power back....with ALL that entails, including the unfortunate loss of decent editing, which arguably was in decline anyway...but I digress.....) I will no doubt bow to the weight of their superior developments and ease of use.  

I hope they haven't built in earlier failure rates, the way all other electronics and hardware seem to have done.  But that's prolly a pipe dream.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
I have a keypad Kindle. I do a lot of reading at night, and used to do a lot on a plane. Having to fiddle around with a reading light became a pain.
I bought a Paperwhite a few years ago. I thought I would miss the page turn keys, can't say that I do. Took me a couple of days to get used to it.
The Paperwhite screen is amazing. If you want, you can turn the illumination off and it's just like your current screen, but turn it on, even low and
it really does look like good quality white paper.

Turn off the lights and the screen illumination makes it quite readable.

The latest firmware update even lets you choose to display the cover artwork of the current book rather than the built-in patterns when off.

The new version, available in a week or so lets you choose the illumination color, so that if you don't like the blue-white color at night, you can
make it more orange (or whatever).

Stick with the Kindle is my vote.

BTW, page turn is just touch the side of the screen - no need to swipe.

I am leaning more and more toward this.  I think I will save up for this and get the one with no ads.  I have gotten really used to reading on my phone, and I NEVER EVER EVER thought I would read on my phone.  But I'm half way through a textbook on agronomy and soil science....   On. My.  Phone.    

And the kindle app on my phone does the  "touch the side of the screen to turn the page" or swipe.

If I can get used to this, I can surely get used to the paperwhite.  The new interface with the color adaptations seems like a good upgrade.  

All my ebooks are kindle, and though I hate the zon with every fiber of my being (and also love what the Zon did for authors--giving them some of their power back....with ALL that entails, including the unfortunate loss of decent editing, which arguably was in decline anyway...but I digress.....) I will no doubt bow to the weight of their superior developments and ease of use.  

I hope they haven't built in earlier failure rates, the way all other electronics and hardware seem to have done.  But that's prolly a pipe dream.

Take a look at the ad examples I posted above before you waste money on the ad free version..
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow I am really missing out not having a dedicated reader.  I just read through this thread and really suprised at all the options. I had not even looked at this subforum before I don't belive. I love reading a book but I mostly read electronically now just because like many of you have commented, it is just so much easier to find and buy, heck even just to read a digital copy somtimes. I have the kindle books app on my phone that I use sometimes, but I mostly use an app called Coolreader. I have been using it for years and it's really cool. I can read all the different formats and you can change the backgrounds. To turn pages you can swip the page, push the volume button, or just touch the screen. I like the old paper look. I will really need to tear into the differences between all of these before deciding what to buy but it's really nice seeing discussing about this stuff on arfcom. I posted the about page if anyone is interests also my current reading page. I am just reading on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I just use the nook app on my tablet.  We have a couple nooks and a couple kindles around here somewhere, but i like the tablet more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
My old Kindle Keyboard is still running strong, but I figured it'll die someday so early this year I did some research and bought a KOBO Libra H2O.

The good........
It has page buttons.  I just can't stand the swipe or tap feature because I hold the reader with one hand, and eat popcorn with the other.  I can turn pages with the thumb I'm holding the reader with.
The push buttons are a necessity for me.
Plus I hate reading through a nasty, smeared screen.

It's a neat, clean design.

It's tough and water proof down to several feet.

It's light and easy to hold with one hand long term.

It has easy to change back light levels, text size and font, etc, and an after market cover puts it into sleep mode.

The bad........
It's SLOW starting up.
First it's slow turning on, then once on you have to find and open the book you want.  This is rather chancy and it often seems to fail to open up the book without several tries.
I can be a couple of pages in on a Kindle and still be starting up and finding a book in the KOBO.
With my old Keyboard, I can push the switch and it starts up and opens the last book I was reading in seconds.

It has no magnifier function like the Kindle.  A lot of books have photos and maps and most are so tiny they're useless.

It doesn't seem to hold a charge while reading as well as the old Kindle Keyboard.

I bought the KOBO mostly because it was a little cheaper then the Kindle Oasis and had an excellent reputation.  I regret the decision, and as soon as I can save up the money I'll go to the Kindle Oasis
Strangely, the Kindle is the most popular reader in the USA, but the KOBO is the top brand in the rest of the world.

The Kindle with the advertising is not at all intrusive, and with my old Keyboard I don't ever notice it.  It's not in the books you're reading only on the start up main page.
For the money I can live with that.

The only down side to the Kindle is the Amazon AZW format the books download as.  KOBO and all other readers use ePub.
However, if you use Calibre to convert the files, you can use any format on any device.
There's another HUGE benefit if you do a third party add-in to the Calibre converter program, but I won't discuss it here...........

http://calibre-ebook.com/

My advice: Bite the bullet and buy the Kindle Oasis.
View Quote

I had to do that to sideload the books from my Nook to my Kindle when I switched over.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#33]

I looked a third time at your screenshot post.  I don't see ANY ads in that.

the "Recommended for you" I thought was just a part of kindle.

Did I miss that this is an ad?

View Quote

That's the ad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 5:07:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#35]

I thought by "ads" you meant the kind of ads I see on youtube...for shit I count down to skip, like medications and vacation spots and cars.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Take a look at the ad examples I posted above before you waste money on the ad free version..

I thought by "ads" you meant the kind of ads I see on youtube...for shit I count down to skip, like medications and vacation spots and cars.

The Mike bond assassin is the ad, and only on the lock screen. There are no other ads.... Nothing like YouTube, nothing to count down or wait through.
Eta yeah the recommended thing is an ad too.

Imo the extra money for the ad free Paperwhite is not worth it.

The fire might be different, but it's a tablet not a reader.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Paperwhite, for all the reasons mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Hmmm.   Okay I though the Mike Bond book was what you were reading and that was the cover.

That might annoy me a little, depending on what they chose to show me.

I really like my old Kindle with the different author photos, but what I would wish for most, is the cover to the book I'm currently reading to be the art on the screen.  I have not understood why they don't do that.  Authors (indie) and publishers go to a lot of trouble to make good covers for books.   Kindle makes so little of the cover it's hard to even see it.

View All Quotes

The Mike bond assassin is the ad, and only on the lock screen. There are no other ads.... Nothing like YouTube, nothing to count down or wait through.
Eta yeah the recommended thing is an ad too.

Imo the extra money for the ad free Paperwhite is not worth it.

The fire might be different, but it's a tablet not a reader.

Hmmm.   Okay I though the Mike Bond book was what you were reading and that was the cover.

That might annoy me a little, depending on what they chose to show me.

I really like my old Kindle with the different author photos, but what I would wish for most, is the cover to the book I'm currently reading to be the art on the screen.  I have not understood why they don't do that.  Authors (indie) and publishers go to a lot of trouble to make good covers for books.   Kindle makes so little of the cover it's hard to even see it.

Do you spend time looking at your Kindle when it's locked? If you do then it may be annoying. I absolutely never see it except for the split second before I swipe to turn it on after I open the cover.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are agonizing this much over a reader, I can not imagine what you go through to find something to read.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#42]

I know it's weird, but yeah.  It usually sits on my nightstand with the cover folded back, and the lock screen is something I see a lot of.

View All Quotes

Do you spend time looking at your Kindle when it's locked? If you do then it may be annoying. I absolutely never see it except for the split second before I swipe to turn it on after I open the cover.

I know it's weird, but yeah.  It usually sits on my nightstand with the cover folded back, and the lock screen is something I see a lot of.

Then you may want the ad free version. I have no idea what the lock screen looks like on it though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Easier to hold just because the oasis is wider?

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Amazon Fire. Cheap and multi-use
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#47]
As I posted above, I just didn't like the KOBO Libra H2O so I bought the Oasis, and have absolutely no regrets.
I sprang for the package of the Oasis, a waterproof fabric cover, and a wall plug for a lower price then separate.
You're getting the cover cheaper, and the plug basically free.

The Oasis has a very sturdy, high end feel, which it should for the price.
The case is aluminum instead of the usual plastic, and the screen is a non-smudging glass type.
The fabric cover seems to be very durable and the rough texture gives a good grip.
Close the cover and the Oasis goes to sleep and draws no more power then if you turn it off.
Open the cover and swipe and you're reading in a second.  No lengthy start up and finding the book like the KOBO.

The KOBO is the most popular e-reader in the world, but the Kindle is King in the USA.
As above I just didn't like the KOBO Libra H2O, so I bit the bullet and bought a new Oasis a couple of months ago.

I have few complaints other then that the battery life is not as good as my old Kindle keyboard, but since I'm dumping books in every few days anyway it's not a problem.
When I got the Oasis the battery life STUNK.
I followed advice to turn off Blue Tooth and put it in Airplane mode, (wireless off) and turned down screen brightness.
I didn't like the lower brightness so I turned it back up to 15.
Battery life improved a little but still not very good.
Then I discovered that if I turn Wispersync off battery life improved significantly.
Now it's almost as good as my old Kindle Keyboard.

The ads have gotten a little more packed on the main screen and there's a lot more of them.
Again, you never see these while reading or in the library view, so I don't care.
The library view is icons only, no actual book covers, but once in a while I get one with a book cover.  No idea what goes on here.
Usually you get the icon with the author name first, but again, once in while I get one with the book name first.
Personally I'd prefer actual book covers, but this might be an effort on Amazon's part to increase battery life.

Since I read a LOT the Oasis was money well spent for me.
Since I only used the old Keyboard and nothing in between, I found some unexpected oddities, like not being able to delete an Amazon book off the Oasis without going online, then finding that it also permanently deletes the book from my Amazon content list.
This isn't a big issue but don't get caught by surprise.

Another oddity is when you finish a book it sort of demands you give it a review, meaning that you have to go online.  There is no way to opt out of this function.
I found that I can just back up a page and go to the library without the review process.

All in all, I think the Oasis is the way to go if you're a heavy duty reader and want a great device with page turn buttons.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#48]
mainly use the app on phones.  tried it on a amazon fire, and holding the tablet is a pita.  even with a handle. just gets heavy or the angle you have to lay at it sucks.  not too bad if you are sitting up. screen sucked on both of my fires. both hd and res just sucked for everything else.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#50]
Page / 3
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top