Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDak] [#1]
Bradders is gone!!??
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saddler:
Cancer
The rumours had been that he'd not been expected to make it to last Christmas, it was so bad.
Others will know more, but from what I'd heard last year he'd gone for some check up due to a problem he was having & was told he had Stage 4 then

He did a lot for CSR shooting on both sides of the Atlantic - so had a big impact on a lot of shooters both sides of the pond
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saddler:
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

What happened? Is it what i think it is?
Cancer
The rumours had been that he'd not been expected to make it to last Christmas, it was so bad.
Others will know more, but from what I'd heard last year he'd gone for some check up due to a problem he was having & was told he had Stage 4 then

He did a lot for CSR shooting on both sides of the Atlantic - so had a big impact on a lot of shooters both sides of the pond
Damn. RIP Bradders
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RDak:
Bradders is gone!!??
View Quote
Sad times, mate.

We had our disagreements and he could be a belligerent bastard but he was certainly a huge positive influence in my shooting. He pushed hard for Practical and CSR shooting in the UK and was a stalwart. Some of my best shooting experiences were those organised by Mark.

I have three of his rifles and he built my son’s first rifle.

His loss is going to be felt by many.

I hadn’t spoken to him for a long while but his passing filled me with sadness.  Taken far too young.

He was a magnificent bastard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Agent_Funky:

Sad times, mate.

We had our disagreements and he could be a belligerent bastard but he was certainly a huge positive influence in my shooting. He pushed hard for Practical and CSR shooting in the UK and was a stalwart. Some of my best shooting experiences were those organised by Mark.

I hadn’t spoken to him for a long while but his passing filled me with sadness.  Taken far too young.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
RIP Mark. Godspeed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn man, terrible news. He was a good dude, fuck Cancer. RIP Brother, deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Sad times, mate.

I have three of his rifles and he built my son's first rifle.

I hadn't spoken to him for a long while but his passing filled me with sadness.  Taken far too young.

View Quote
Well said mate , well said
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By an_hero:
The NRA is in the UK?
View Quote
The British NRA predates our own NRA.

RIP Bradders.

I think he was banned a while back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
the guy from here with the red headed cartoon guy in his avatar?
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
What a great epitaph for a man.
RIP Bradders
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This sucks, Bradders was a solid contributor to the site.

Cancer Sucks.

RIP
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
We are diminished.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By clean_dude:
We are diminished.
View Quote
And yet....... better for having had him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By thirsty:

It’d be great if we could get a US company to replicate his roll mark. Donate the proceeds to a UK gun rights org in his name. Won’t be the same, but would carry some meaning.
View Quote
I'd be in for a couple.

That's a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I agree.

Discussing WHY he was banned seems to serve absolutely no purpose in a thread like this, which is about remembering someone who was a member of this site for a long time, and who did a LOT of great work for the shooting sports in the UK and the US.

(For the record, I am the Staffer who banned him, and I was also aware of his retread account and I agreed to let it slide as long as he let go of the dispute that originally got him banned.  It is all water under the bridge now, and I am very sad to hear that he is gone.  ).
View Quote
Thanks for being cool about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Dang.  I always wanted one of his "London" roll marked lowers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Sad times, mate.

View Quote
Yep. He was a tough and belligerent son of a bitch, but man, what a fighter. Some guy in the UK with a fire extinguisher shaped dent in his head will remember him, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
Yep. He was a tough and belligerent son of a bitch, but man, what a fighter. Some guy in the UK with a fire extinguisher shaped dent in his head will remember him, too.
View All Quotes

Sad times, mate.

A fitting epitaph upon the eye socket one of a carjackers.

May fuck be upon them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#19]
RIP. Could his account be unlocked in his honour?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Rest in peace Bradders
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]

...Some guy in the UK with a fire extinguisher shaped dent in his head will remember him, too.
View Quote
Details?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]

I agree.

Discussing WHY he was banned seems to serve absolutely no purpose in a thread like this, which is about remembering someone who was a member of this site for a long time, and who did a LOT of great work for the shooting sports in the UK and the US.

(For the record, I am the Staffer who banned him, and I was also aware of his retread account and I agreed to let it slide as long as he let go of the dispute that originally got him banned.  It is all water under the bridge now, and I am very sad to hear that he is gone.  ).
View Quote
Sad to hear he's gone but was the one who made him gone.

I've got no words.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
TREOCHY MALE CHOIR - THE LIBERATION HYMN http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbieDonner1
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Rip mark .
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

Ever had to discipline your kids?  Hating that you have to do it, since you love them, but knowing you must?

Banning a longtime member isn't something done lightly, no matter what people may think about site staff.  It's a last resort when all other attempts to get the member to abide by the rules have failed (other than the obvious cases where members decide to flame out by posting lots of inappropriate pictures).

Bradders was a good guy, he brought a lot to the fight for firearms rights and the shooting community in general, but at least for a while, he was completely unable to behave appropriately on the site.  When he snuck back in, he wasn't continuing the behavior that had gotten him banned, so evidently site staff took mercy on him and didn't ban him again (possibly knowing he was sick).
View Quote
Yeah. Still don't buy it.  We have here a guy admittedly a huge--massive compared to most_on_this_site-- contributor to guns and the shooting sports and gun rights on both sides of the Atlantic, banned--now that I know about it--for trivial BS.   BS so trivial that site staff let him sneak back in incognito.  It is obviously a case--more and more common--about staff not being able to admit a mistake, and they know it due to "site staff took mercy on him and didn't ban him again."

The ban hammer seems to be wielded so inconsistently and illogically.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]

It was not trivial, and DK-Prof has already said this is not the appropriate thread to discuss it.
View Quote
And you are...?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

And you are...?
View Quote
I am Ed Cope and this is not the appropriate thread for this discussion, Doc.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure how I missed this until today, but this is very sad news.  Godspeed, Bradders. You will be missed greatly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By elcope:

I am Ed Cope and this is not the appropriate thread for this discussion, Doc.
View Quote
I don’t think that we need another hall monitor, I don’t need him to talk down to me—or you for that matter— and it’s perfectly appropriate in this thread to challenge someone who says he’s going to miss the good man in question, “then why the hell did he show him the door in the first place?”

That’s exactly it. This place specifically and the shooting community in general and I personally am lesser because of this loss.  I’ve got stuff he sent me, free, unsolicited, and out of his own generous nature sitting on my shelf right now and it’s not unreasonable to ask “why the FUCK do we toss out the good ones.”
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]

I don’t think that we need another hall monitor, I don’t need him to talk down to me—or you for that matter— and it’s perfectly appropriate in this thread to challenge someone who says he’s going to miss the good man in question, “then why the hell did he show him the door in the first place?”

That’s exactly it. This place specifically and the shooting community in general and I personally am lesser because of this loss.  I’ve got stuff he sent me, free, unsolicited, and out of his own generous nature sitting on my shelf right now and it’s not unreasonable to ask “why the FUCK do we toss out the good ones.”
View Quote
If I talk down to you, you won't mistake it.

FYI, I wasn't talking down to you and agree with your premise about "Banning the good ones" and Arfcom banning the wrong folks for the wrong reasons, but a memorial thread isn't the time or place to have this discussion.

I humbly ask that you start a new thread to have that exact discussion that I would likely support.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]

If I talk down to you, you won't mistake it.

FYI, I wasn't talking down to you and agree with your premise about "Banning the good ones" and Arfcom banning the wrong folks for the wrong reasons, but a memorial thread isn't the time or place to have this discussion.

I humbly ask that you start a new thread to have that exact discussion that I would likely support.
View Quote
Fair enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Wrong thread for a pissing match
Get it?
That's my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Mind, Bradders would likely appreciate a drunken shouting wake of a memorial thread for him that resulted in a few locks.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
Wrong thread for a pissing match
Get it?
That's my opinion.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Mind, Bradders would likely appreciate a drunken shouting wake of a memorial thread for him that resulted in a few locks.  
View Quote
@NavyDoc1

When it comes time for mine, I hope you guys do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I remember this great thread;

Five days in Normandy visiting the D Day beaches Bradders goes on a trip

Just about all the links to the photos are broken though
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#40]

@NavyDoc1

When it comes time for mine, I hope you guys do.
View Quote
LOL.  Honestly, that's what I'd like too.  I've already got a few bottles of Islay stashed away in an "open in case of death" drawer.   After the last ER visit, that should be sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Awe man, he always seemed like a cool dude. His motorcycle trip to Normandy was a nice thread too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 2:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screechjet1] [#42]

LOL.  Honestly, that's what I'd like too.  I've already got a few bottles of Islay stashed away in an "open in case of death" drawer.   After the last ER visit, that should be sooner than later.
View Quote
Well, stick around for me, if for no one else, you douchebag.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Well, stick around me, if for no one else, you douchebag.
View Quote
Roger that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 2:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#44]
And you are...?
View All Quotes

It was not trivial, and DK-Prof has already said this is not the appropriate thread to discuss it.
And you are...?
He's a mod.  I don't know if he's new to being a GD mod or not, not listed in the tacked thread at the top of GD.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By pmodas:
This is what the site needs, discretion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pmodas:

Nobody saw anything.  
This is what the site needs, discretion.
This.

And RIP Bradders.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Rip bradders
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:

View Quote
I remember that thread, it's so sad all those pictures are lost.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Sleep well sir.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:

View Quote
Bummer
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top