Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 12:24:15 AM EDT
Looks like Carvin is closing its doors after 70 years.. Guitars will continue to be available

Carvin Audio closing down

More...

Gear Page

Carvin had some gems... dug the X-100 series.. still have a Vintage 33 series amp.. use it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Their old gear was rock solid stuff. Never messed with any of the newer products. 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My garage stereo is a 1200w Carvin PA. 4 15's and 2 horns. I use it to combat the taco rock the neighbors blast frequently.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like their amps. Have a bx250 and 2x10 cab for my jazz bass. Wonder if I can get a 1x15 ext cab for cheap. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a bummer, I've heard they make great shit.  I wanted to get their rack mounted tube power amp to go along with a rack preamp I have but I kept putting it off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive got amps and guitars built from them. Way better than my Gibson stuff. I love Carvin.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I played an early 80's DC150 the other day. What a great playing guitar. It took all of my will power to not buy it on the spot.

I'm still considering it though
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn that sucks all my bass amps and cabinets are Carvin! I have a1x15 and a 4x10 cabinets and a BX500 and BX1500 amps and all have been rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Just had my X-100B recapped and retubed a few months ago, great stuff!
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]
that sucks..I always liked the look of these amps..

Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up my Vintage 33, non working, from a prawn shop for $140. Fairly clean shape, laquered tweed.

re capped it, general servicing,  had a bad toobe.Icky board mounted toobe sockets. Diodes used for the "soak" distortion,

not too bad, not nearly as ghastly as the JCM 900 buzz.  Great Fender style verb and clean channel

I use it with a GT-500 pedal for boost.

YMMV, do not fold, spindle or mutilate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sad to see them end. I've used Carvin amps and cabs on and off during the years. I still have an X100B Head and a pair of Carvin 4x12 cabs.
I never understood the "stink eye" Carvin got as their gear was solid and the X100B was a serious Marshall killer at one time. I still like the sound of it although I am currently gigging Orange.
Resale value was always low, very undervalued product. Carvin will be missed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid in the 80s, I used to drool over their catalogs.

But as has been mentioned, their resale value was zilch. Could hardly give the stuff away. That's not a good way to remain in business. Unfortunately, they didn't stumble on the magic brand fairy like Gibson and Fender did. I've never cared for Carvin amps, but their guitars seem solid and some of the Kiesel stuff is pretty yummay looking. But still... buying those used is the only way to go, so someone else can take the value hit.

Anyways... I'm not happy to see Carvin go under. I just honestly don't know how they managed to stick around as long as they did. The music industry is a tough business to weather these days if you're not owned by a multi-billion-dollar consortium/conglomerate.

My favorite stock guitars are Tom Anderson guitars. He does it right. He only employs so many people and only builds so many guitars (700 a year IIRC). His quality control is top notch and he's able to limit his product output to sustainable levels (despite being expensive boutique instruments). In this day and age, you're either a huge corporate faceless fish, or a very small, great fish (like Tom is). Hard to come in anywhere in the middle. Which is why Peavey, Carvin and others have struggled so much recently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top