Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
Back in the 80's or 90's my uncle removed the keyboard and the electrical parts from a Kimball organ and used it as a stand for his daughter's electronic keyboard.  The whole assembly made it's way to me (my son is the only one who inherited any musical talent). But he doesn't play keyboard, and I don't have the room for it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Is there any use for these things?  The cabinet is in relatively good shape, and came with the (maybe) matching stool (some parts are cloth covered - thought stool had cloth, but I was incorrect).  I don't want to simply throw it away if someone can use it; I would donate it except it doesn't work.  I *think* there are some components still inside, and I'll try to get some pics of that too.  An Arfcom of old electric organs?  Or should I donate the stool and break the rest up for firewood?

(Yes, pics suck, my daughter took them on her cell. Will try to get better pics up later.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad it's not a Hammond, Keith Emerson could have "used" it if he was still alive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too bad it's not a Hammond, Keith Emerson could have "used" it if he was still alive.
View Quote
oh hell yes.  But not that lucky, in either sense.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You literally have a hard time giving those things away when they are intact and working.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You literally have a hard time giving those things away when they are intact and working.
View Quote
If that's the case (heh), my conscience will be clear when I break out the wrecking bar.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If there's a rotary speaker in there, you could probably sell it to guitarist.

.....Heck, put the thing up on Reverb.com with details about what all is in there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

.....Heck, put the thing up on Reverb.com with details about what all is in there.
View Quote
Here is a good indicator of what you can expect to get out of a nice one.

Price
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmmm...that's a good idea.  I know there's something left in there.  I just don't want to trash the thing and then find out my uncle left a super-rare hoobawhatsis inside.

I may have my daughter pull it away from the wall and open up the back and take some pics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmm...that's a good idea.  I know there's something left in there.  I just don't want to trash the thing and then find out my uncle left a super-rare hoobawhatsis inside.

I may have my daughter pull it away from the wall and open up the back and take some pics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that you will find any prizes. It is a kimball not a Hammond.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that you will find any prizes. It is a kimball not a Hammond.
View Quote
Oh, I know this isn't Antiques Roadshow. But if there's something useful, I'd like to pass it along.

With that said, pics of inside:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
About the only thing I see useful in there is the amplifier. It's tube, and somebody who tinkers with homebuilds might like it for parts. But even then $20 is probably all you'll get out of it, unless those are some sort of super rare or desirable transformers, but I doubt it.

I'd save it, though. We do have a couple amp builders here, hopefully they'll chime in on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
About the only thing I see useful in there is the amplifier. It's tube, and somebody who tinkers with homebuilds might like it for parts. But even then $20 is probably all you'll get out of it, unless those are some sort of super rare or desirable transformers, but I doubt it.

I'd save it, though. We do have a couple amp builders here, hopefully they'll chime in on it.
View Quote
I'll have my daughter pull it and look for other numbers/markings.  If it's not rare and someone here can use it, I'll *give* it to them if they pay shipping.

ETA: Can caps hold a charge for 20 years?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll have my daughter pull it and look for other numbers/markings.  If it's not rare and someone here can use it, I'll *give* it to them if they pay shipping.

ETA: Can caps hold a charge for 20 years?
View Quote
Caps can still light you up many years after they are charged and many of those old amps didn't have bleeder resistors to discharge the caps.

I build tube guitar amps.  I can buy a known new transformer for a project for $40-$140.  For an old unknown transformer I'd spend as much as it took me to drive out of my way on the way to the grocery store to drop buy your house and pick it up.  In other words it's not worth much to most folks.  According to a Kimbal spare parts site a replacement transformer runs about $70-$80.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Caps can still light you up many years after they are charged and many of those old amps didn't have bleeder resistors to discharge the caps.

I build tube guitar amps.  I can buy a known new transformer for a project for $40-$140.  For an old unknown transformer I'd spend as much as it took me to drive out of my way on the way to the grocery store to drop buy your house and pick it up.  In other words it's not worth much to most folks.  According to a Kimbal spare parts site a replacement transformer runs about $70-$80.
View Quote
You can buy a working Kimbal for way less.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Amplifier out, case is not in firewood sized pieces except the MDF and particle board (most of it.)  Here are some pics.

Only number is Q7576 - no Google hits.

Attachment Attached File

Inside. Aside from some critter webs and someone trying to pry it open, nothing looks horribly awry.

Attachment Attached File

Connections.  Looks like it *had* a Leslie speaker, but someone snagged it.

Attachment Attached File

Smaller xfmr.  210-013 606135

Attachment Attached File

Larger xfmr. 210-014-C 8317140

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
And for completeness, it was Kimball model 170 in Walnut, S/N 90761

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The wood, if solid walnut, may be valuable to someone who builds acoustic guitars.  Friend's father, before he died, bought old organss and upright pianos, soaked the wood and clamped it in forms and baked it to make the sides and back of dobro style guitars.

If veneer or fake walnut - not so much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
The Leslie speaker would most likely have been external and not part of the organ. 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The wood, if solid walnut, may be valuable to someone who builds acoustic guitars.  Friend's father, before he died, bought old organss and upright pianos, soaked the wood and clamped it in forms and baked it to make the sides and back of dobro style guitars.

If veneer or fake walnut - not so much.
View Quote
Nope - almost all particle board. A small amount of poplar for some structural stuff,
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
The small transformer is likely a choke.  Not that it matters much.  You can tell if it only has two wires attached to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The small transformer is likely a choke.  Not that it matters much.  You can tell if it only has two wires attached to it.
View Quote
Think I should pull the board out of the housing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Think I should pull the board out of the housing?
View Quote
If you really must know you could.  Sometimes you can see the wires between the chassis and the transformer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you really must know you could.  Sometimes you can see the wires between the chassis and the transformer.
View Quote
Can't - I looked.

I may just strip it all down for components.  I can use the iron in the xfmr cores for machinists magnets, and fuse holders/switches are always handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top