Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 12:45:42 AM EDT
Hey guys, picked up a trumpet this weekend. Overall looks to be in good functioning condition, but could probably use a cleaning. I purchased it with intentions of reselling on ebay and was curious as to what I'd be looking at to have it gone through and cleaned.

Would it be worth it to get someone local to look at it before posting it up for sale?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You'd being doing whomever you sell it to a favor by getting the horn an acid bath. You don't know how the prior owner maintained it, so the acid bath will remove any hard, stuck on deposits. Most shops will replace things like cork/rubber spit valves, and felt or rubber under the valve keys. Otherwise, shine it up, make sure all the valves and slides run smoothly, and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s a beginner’s horn.  A good used one is worth maybe $300.  Maybe.
You can have minor dents taken out for $60-100, but I wouldn’t put that much into it.  
Donate it to a school and write it off on your taxes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s a beginner’s horn.  A good used one is worth maybe $300.  Maybe.
You can have minor dents taken out for $60-100, but I wouldn’t put that much into it.  
Donate it to a school and write it off on your taxes.
View Quote
Are there specific shops that do good dent repair work?  I've still got my old silver Bach Stradivarius from the early 90s at home, but I carried it around in a gig bag in high school and got a pretty substantial dent/crease in the bell.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry it’s been so long since I checked this thread.
I bought a bass ‘bone  several years ago that had a couple of wrinkles in the bell.  Cost me $58 to have them taken out.
It’s a quick and easy job for an experienced repair guy.  Most dents are cheap to have removed.  I’ve bought vintage horns that no one wanted because they were dented.  Got great deals and paid very little for the repairs.
Most music stores these days only cater to guitar players and drummers, but if you ask, they can usually point you to the right guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top