Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2017 11:44:56 PM EDT
I just got a one of my grail guitars, Jackson Soloist.  Whomever owned it put in a set of EMG's wrong, it sounds like absolute shit, muddy, the volume is way low.  I planned on replacing them anyway with a JB and 59 classic but I can't remember the deal with Floyd roses.  I know you need a trembucker for the bridge but does a standard pickup work in the neck?  I can't find trembucker neck pickups.

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Never mind, I found it, neck pups are standard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, neck pickups are standard, for Floyd Rose equipped guitars you'll need a TB4 (an F spaced JB, there may be others, this is what I use) if going with Seymour Duncan.

If going with DiMarzio you'll want an "F" spaced pickup, they have a huge variety, SD may too but I just use the TB4.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, a JB in a Soloist? I have a SL1 that still has the stock JB, and it's muddy. I've found that JBs work much better in bolt on guitars, especially ones without a tone control. I'd take a hard look at a Custom or a Perpetual Burn (I'm leaning towards putting a Perpetual Burn in mine when I get around to it). But if you want similar output compared to a JB, have a look at the Distortion or the Black Winter set. I have a Black Winter set and they are excellent pickups for a darker sounding guitar. They're crisp, clear, tight, and almost HiFi sounding.

And I don't know what music you play, but I've referenced this video quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that he got the Custom and Custom 5 switched around, though, because the A5 magnet in the Custom 5 should have less mids than the Ceramic 8 in the Custom. They're the same pickup wind, just with different magnets. Also keep in mind that Keith's guitars have Ash bodies with no tone controls, so it's a little snappier on the top end than your Soloist is. So that does influence what you will hear in the demo, but it never the less gives you a good comparison of quite a few Duncan pickups. Enjoy!

Seymour Duncan 6-String Bridge Pickups 2015, 15 Model Comparison, Metal Rhythm
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm, a JB in a Soloist? I have a SL1 that still has the stock JB, and it's muddy. I've found that JBs work much better in bolt on guitars, especially ones without a tone control. I'd take a hard look at a Custom or a Perpetual Burn (I'm leaning towards putting a Perpetual Burn in mine when I get around to it). But if you want similar output compared to a JB, have a look at the Distortion or the Black Winter set. I have a Black Winter set and they are excellent pickups for a darker sounding guitar. They're crisp, clear, tight, and almost HiFi sounding.

And I don't know what music you play, but I've referenced this video quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that he got the Custom and Custom 5 switched around, though, because the A5 magnet in the Custom 5 should have less mids than the Ceramic 8 in the Custom. They're the same pickup wind, just with different magnets. Also keep in mind that Keith's guitars have Ash bodies with no tone controls, so it's a little snappier on the top end than your Soloist is. So that does influence what you will hear in the demo, but it never the less gives you a good comparison of quite a few Duncan pickups. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRlcdNHYDM
View Quote
@Gone_Shootin

You are an unbelievable wealth of guitar knowledge.

Thanks for hanging around and helping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
that's a nice Jackson you've got there!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Gone_Shootin

You are an unbelievable wealth of guitar knowledge.

Thanks for hanging around and helping.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'm just a guitar nerd. 

Oh yeah, and OP, have a look at the Alpha and Omega set too. They're on my short list and have been getting alot of good reviews.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, I remembered another demo you should check out. This is the Perpetual Burn in a Carvin Jason Becker sig model. It's a maple neck thru with an alder body like a standard Soloist. IIRC, the non transparent Soloists also have a maple top, so the biggest difference is the fretboard. You should have Ebony whereas the Becker has Maple. Very similar sounding woods, though.
Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Pickup
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRlcdNHYDM
View Quote
@Gone_Shootin

Thanks for the advice Shootin, I may still give the JB a shot as I think I have one sitting around, just depends on if it's a trembucker and it has enough wire left on it.  I put one in a neck thru warklock I had and I liked it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Gone_Shootin

Thanks for the advice Shootin, I may still give the JB a shot as I think I have one sitting around, just depends on if it's a trembucker and it has enough wire left on it.  I put one in a neck thru warklock I had and I liked it quite a bit.
View Quote
Cool. And it really doesn't matter if it's a Trembucker or not, it'll still work. The pole spacing is primarily cosmetic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top