User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You and I discussed this in the GD thread on the crash, but these are the exact kind of witnesses I've seen mentioned in a number of NTSB reports. Or, I heard/saw the witness' interview with media somewhere, and then later matched their statement to the final NTSB probable cause report. Let's just say...these kinds of witnesses don't have the best track record.

It seems like 75% of the time you have a guy 55+ who will say "it sounded like they were having engine trouble" and "they were flying really low. Much lower than any planes/helicopters I usually see around here." Sometimes that morphs into statements of certitude if they've already told their story to a few family/friends or the media. "He was having engine trouble. I heard a sputtering noise, looked up, and saw smoke/fire." "The engine must've cutout on him all the way because everything went silent and then I saw even more smoke/fire."

Half the time these guys SAW or HEARD almost NOTHING that is useful to investigators, and their story is often contradicted by evidence from the accident site. What probably happened is they heard the impact, or saw the smoke/fire from the crash site, and a story pops in their head that they remember hearing a plane flying really low, and he must've been having engine problems because he was flying really low, and the engine sounded funny. They forget, or somehow memory-hole, that an aircraft typically has to fly pretty low to crash in the first place.

It's a weird thing eyewitnesses do in these situations. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's to deal with the trauma or they believe it will somehow aid the investigation.

I saw my first plane crash when I was seven years old. Very small plane crashed into the house directly across the street in our subdivision. Pilot and co-pilot were seriously injured, but both lived. I remember being on the scene right after it happened as everyone in the neighborhood ran outdoors. It was a very tight knit neighborhood, so some neighbors, including my father, went to check on the occupants of the house. Plane ended up with its nose in their master bedroom, and with the homeowner (my friend's dad) sitting in his recliner across from it. Thankfully, no fire.

Another set of neighbors pulled the pilot and co-pilot out. I just remember them laying them out in the front yard and that there was a fair amount of blood. One of the pilots had blunt force trauma to the head from impact, and we all know how head wounds bleed. The final cause was fuel starvation due to dry tanks. Hence the lack of fire.

The really ironic thing is that approximately a year after the plane crashed into the neighbor's house across the street, my own father died in an aviation accident. He was a business executive, and the company's corporate jet crashed into a mountain due to fog. Pilots deviated from their original IFR flight plan due to passengers returning late, so the pilots decided to try a little scud-running. They took off VFR and attempted to request an IFR clearance once they were airborne. Classic case of get-there-itis combined with scud-running ending in CFIT.

CVR transcript shows that the pilots essentially became somewhat spatially disoriented. They more or less debated over where the terrain was going to be located per the CVR. And although they were actively trying to avoid the terrain, (a mountain as well as an antenna) they were also dealing with overhead traffic and wx that was completely unsuitable for VFR conditions. PIC was pretty damn experienced. 16000+ hours. First Officer had a little over 3000. I used to have a copy of the full CVR transcript. I think I deleted it years ago in an attempt to get closure.

Everyone was killed instantly. Nine dead. The Kobe Bryant accident's similarities (nine fatalities and a likely cause of foggy wx leading to CFIT) has re-opened some old wounds. Particularly since it was already on my mind a lot some the 29th anniversary was last month.

I'd never post this on GD, and I'm going to take it down in a day or two, but here's a link to the NTSB accident report.

Close to 30 years later, I am still haunted by what happened. To add insult to injury, the crash site was essentially right on the summit of the mountain they impacted. Almost made it.
View Quote
I am sorry for your loss.   Can't even imagine.  Keep your head up, live your life to the fullest possible, and try and enjoy every day.

That's what he'd want for you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The multiple orbits over Glendale indicate he knew he was in trouble at that point.
They should have diverted then.
He pressed on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ATC can not issue an IFR clearance to an inflight aircraft until the aircraft meets minimum IFR altitude for the route of flight, they have established communication and are able to guarantee IFR separation from all other IFR traffic in the area.  It *may be possible* do that by having the aircraft maintain VFR until reaching a specified altitude and arriving at named IFR reporting point but, realistically, controllers are not going to want to issue an IFR clearance to a pop up aircraft they have not positively identified on secondary radar or via ADS-B.
View Quote

We filed in flight all the time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The multiple orbits over Glendale indicate he knew he was in trouble at that point.
He pressed on.
View Quote
With the changes to SVFR recently that was just because the controller couldn't legally let them enter the airspace.

That said, an IFR flight plan can solve a lot of problems
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He pressed on.
View Quote
The hold was forced by atc due to the proximity of IFR traffic in the area.  At that point, there was no issue other than somewhat poor visibility.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The hold was forced by atc due to the proximity of IFR traffic in the area.  At that point, there was no issue other than somewhat poor visibility.
View Quote
Then why was he requesting special VFR?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to request and be granted clearance before you enter the shit.

ETA: Was he holding inside the airspace? I don't know where they were.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATC can not issue an IFR clearance to an inflight aircraft until the aircraft meets minimum IFR altitude for the route of flight, they have established communication and are able to guarantee IFR separation from all other IFR traffic in the area.  It *may be possible* do that by having the aircraft maintain VFR until reaching a specified altitude and arriving at named IFR reporting point but, realistically, controllers are not going to want to issue an IFR clearance to a pop up aircraft they have not positively identified on secondary radar or via ADS-B.

Of course you can file an IFR flight plan in flight.  You can even request an IFR clearance without having filed a IFR flight plan.  They may issue it on a workload, case by case, basis.

But you are not operating under Instrument Flight RULES until you receive that IFR clearance and you can not be issued an IFR clearance until you meet altitude, identification and separation requirements.  And you MUST maintain VFR requirements until you are issued an IFR clearance.

It is patently illegal to be in IMC conditions without operating on an IFR clearance.

Now if you violate the law and go IMC without a clearance, you must declare an emergency and request an IFR clearance.  When you can be identified and can be controlled (at least MVA and in radar contact) they will issue you one and help you.  You should also expect to have to answer a great many questions once your flight is complete.  And, if you are a commercial pilot, you should probably expect to have to try and find another job.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had SVFR before leaving the ground.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multiple airspaces......

He took off at John Wayne (Class C).  Field was VFR, he did not need a SVFR clearance.

He flew north VFR in Class G (he was well under the Class E transition area and the Class B for LAX).  He may have passed through a few Class D's on the way north like Los Alamidos or Long Beach.

Then he wanted to transition Burbank's Class C, but the field was IFR.  So he requested a SVFR clearance.  There was IFR traffic, and they have priority, so he had to wait outside the class C surface area circling.  (Some airport's have SVFR transition routes for helicopters on a Letter of Agreement that they can use even with IFR traffic, but this doesn't seem to be the case with this airport or operator.)  Soon as the IFR traffic cleared, the tower gave him the clearance and let him fly through the Class C surface area of Burbank.

Then he passed through Van Nuys's Class D which I believe he also did on a SVFR clearance.   It sits under the Burbank class C, so he would have been in their class D the second he left Burbank's Class C.

Then once he left Van Nuys's class D, he was back in Class G (non-controlled, no SVFR needed) as long as he stayed under 700 AGL.  That's when they offered him flight following, but he was too low (he was at 100-200 AGL).

I really don't know why everybody is hung up on clearances, airspace, and rules here.....it's procedural stuff and doesn't really have anything to do with the accident itself.  The WX was getting along his route and if he would have turned around or landed we would have never heard about this.  But since he's dead, everybody is so concerned about the events leading up to it......all of which were legal and procedural.  It's the last minute that's what counts.  The guy was flying into a canyon with low ceilings and diminishing viability @ 100-200 ft AGL at 140-150 kts.  That's what killed 9 and all that matters.  Drop the all the worry about him holding outside airspace or getting a SVFR clearance (it happens 100s of times a day if not 1000s all across the country anywhere the WX is below VFR.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
SVFR is only good in the surface area of the controller who issues it. You can't go between tower controlled air spaces SVFR
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SVFR is only good in the surface area of the controller who issues it. You can't go between tower controlled air spaces SVFR
View Quote
This is correct.

And SVFR doesn't exist in Class G airspace since it's non-controlled........this is where he spent most of his time during that flight, including the final few minutes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
An interesting article about the charter company that possibly explains  some of the (what appears to be )bad decision making

The helicopter that crashed Sunday killing basketball star Kobe Bryant and eight others was owned by a charter company that only operated under visual flight rules, and its pilots were not permitted to fly solely based on their cockpit gauges in weather that limited visibility, a former pilot for the company told Forbes.

The pilot of the doomed flight, Ara Zobayan, was licensed to fly by cockpit instruments, but he likely had little real-world experience in doing so given the operating limitations of Island Express Helicopters, says Kurt Deetz, a former pilot for the company who flew Bryant for two years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2020/01/29/pilot-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-wasnt-allowed-to-fly-by-instruments/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie%2F&fbclid=IwAR3wR9cj2cLz-Mt6MGT0bzzDwr3yQzPjFzDolrevUpBn0vnfXdcoSywaBro#b9057e826ea3
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An interesting article about the charter company that possibly explains  some of the (what appears to be )bad decision making

The helicopter that crashed Sunday killing basketball star Kobe Bryant and eight others was owned by a charter company that only operated under visual flight rules, and its pilots were not permitted to fly solely based on their cockpit gauges in weather that limited visibility, a former pilot for the company told Forbes.

The pilot of the doomed flight, Ara Zobayan, was licensed to fly by cockpit instruments, but he likely had little real-world experience in doing so given the operating limitations of Island Express Helicopters, says Kurt Deetz, a former pilot for the company who flew Bryant for two years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2020/01/29/pilot-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-wasnt-allowed-to-fly-by-instruments/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie%2F&fbclid=IwAR3wR9cj2cLz-Mt6MGT0bzzDwr3yQzPjFzDolrevUpBn0vnfXdcoSywaBro#b9057e826ea3
View Quote
Ouch.
If all that's true...didn't read the article BTW.
How many times had the pilot flown Kobe and had the flown previously in bad weather or has he flown anyone else in bad weather.
I'm sure a lawsuit is inbound
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh, just because your company policy is "VFR only" doesn't mean you don't look at your instruments especially if you go IIMC. The article kind implied that.

Pretty sure even a general aviation, private license only ticket holder is taught what to do if you punch in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Meh, just because your company policy is "VFR only" doesn't mean you don't look at your instruments especially if you go IIMC. The article kind implied that.

Pretty sure even a general aviation, private license only ticket holder is taught what to do if you punch in.
View Quote
Safe ifr requires consistent use to maintain currency.  A private pilot with what little basic training will likely die in accidental imc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ouch.
If all that's true...didn't read the article BTW.
How many times had the pilot flown Kobe and had the flown previously in bad weather or has he flown anyone else in bad weather.
I'm sure a lawsuit is inbound
View Quote
Doesn't mean anything......just that IFR wasn't authorized on their company's 135 certificate.

Back on my 135 certificate, we weren't authorized for IFR either.  I had instrument rating, and the aircraft was IFR equipped, but not certified.  Our SVFR mins were 1/2 mi and clear of clouds daytime, and 1 mile and CoC at night.

Sure there's a lawsuit inbound, but their charter certificate not being authorized for IFR has nothing to do with it.  He didn't file IFR, nor flew IFR.  IIMC and IFR are two different things.  The guy was transitioning an airspace under SVFR, left the airspace, and went IIMC.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Safe ifr requires consistent use to maintain currency.  A private pilot with what little basic training will likely die in accidental imc.
View Quote
But this wasn't just a private pilot. This was a current CFII, so training level shouldn't be an issue. Competency, maybe.

Remembering from way back when I went through flight school, it was beat into our heads to "trust your instruments".

Barring a mechanical failure, he either got spatially disoriented (trying to fly VFR in IMC) and failed to cross check his instruments or he was diving for a sucker hole. Either would explain the high airspeed, high rate of descent.

All I ever flew were VFR only a/c for 15 years and still ended up with 10.2hrs of actual wx time. Guess I was just lucky because we only did instrument training once a year during check rides.

The first accident investigation I had to do was a spatial disorientation due to brown out conditions. Both pilots walked away, luckily, but the a/c was a Class A (more than $1M damage) and a total loss.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But this wasn't just a private pilot. This was a current CFII, so training level shouldn't be an issue. Competency, maybe.
View Quote
Training and certification for your instrument rating and CFII is for IFR flight!!!!!  It is not training and certification for IIMC, nor was this an IFR flight.  It may help you once you get into IIMC and transition, but the transition phase it was kills pilots (both instrument and non-rated) all the time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Training and certification for your instrument rating and CFII is for IFR flight!!!!!  It is not training and certification for IIMC, nor was this an IFR flight.  It may help you once you get into IIMC and transition, but the transition phase it was kills pilots (both instrument and non-rated) all the time.
View Quote
I  agree but a CFII or even an IFR rated pilot should be able recognize the conditions and respond more appropriately to IIMC well before Joe private pilot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I  agree but a CFII or even an IFR rated pilot should be able recognize the conditions and respond more appropriately to IIMC well before Joe private pilot.
View Quote
......or they are more confident they can bust through it because they are more "trained" than Joe Private Pilot (who may have never taken off in the first place.)

Read the stats on how many helicopter IIMC/CFIT accidents are by instrument rated pilots in very well equipped helicopters.

It's the exact opposite of what you think.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

......or they are more confident they can bust through it because they are more "trained" than Joe Private Pilot (who may have never taken off in the first place.)

Read the stats on how many helicopter IIMC/CFIT accidents are by instrument rated pilots in very well equipped helicopters.

It's the exact opposite of what you think.
View Quote
There you go, confident does not equal competent.

But that applies everywhere in life, not just aviation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard no discussion on the issue of currency.  I read the pilot was a CFI-I.  So he was certainly capable (at one time) of handling any sort of IMC up to the limits of legality.  But everyone knows these skills have a very short shelf life.  Hence the stringent currency requirements.  I doubt he was current, and therefore could not legally have accepted an IFR clearance.  While you can do anything necessary to meet an emergency, no one declares unless it is unavoidable.  Yes, he would possibly be alive, but he'd be facing an enforcement action and probably be looking for another line of work.  Additionally, I imagine in that area IFR would be difficult and time-consuming compared to a VFR flight.  His passengers had a schedule to meet, and IFR would have taken much longer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have heard no discussion on the issue of currency.  I read the pilot was a CFI-I.  So he was certainly capable (at one time) of handling any sort of IMC up to the limits of legality.  But everyone knows these skills have a very short shelf life.  Hence the stringent currency requirements.  I doubt he was current, and therefore could not legally have accepted an IFR clearance.  While you can do anything necessary to meet an emergency, no one declares unless it is unavoidable.  Yes, he would possibly be alive, but he'd be facing an enforcement action and probably be looking for another line of work.  Additionally, I imagine in that area IFR would be difficult and time-consuming compared to a VFR flight.  His passengers had a schedule to meet, and IFR would have taken much longer.
View Quote
I know of an incident in the last couple of years, where an EMS pilot went IIMC, did everything correctly to recover.  Declared an emergency, followed ATC instructions.  Landed safely.

Not only kept his job, but the FSDO actually complimented him on how he handled the situation.

That particular FSDO, and the company involved, both believed in having a "Just Culture".  Both saw that culture leading to safer outcomes in the event of an emergency, vs pilots trying to "make it work" when shit got bad to avoid enforcement action.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know of an incident in the last couple of years, where an EMS pilot went IIMC, did everything correctly to recover.  Declared an emergency, followed ATC instructions.  Landed safely.

Not only kept his job, but the FSDO actually complimented him on how he handled the situation.

That particular FSDO, and the company involved, both believed in having a "Just Culture".  Both saw that culture leading to safer outcomes in the event of an emergency, vs pilots trying to "make it work" when shit got bad to avoid enforcement action.
View Quote
I'll bet the FSDO went over his log books.  Did he accept an IFR clearance?  Was he current?

And knock if off with this talk about the FAA/FSDO being reasonable.  Heresy!  ;-)
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is by far the best thread on it.

Thanks to the OP and posters.
View Quote
This. I am not a pilot but find aviation accident investigation very interesting - primarily, how things can go south so quickly, even when it involves experienced people. Thanks to everyone so far for their input.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll bet the FSDO went over his log books.  Did he accept an IFR clearance?  Was he current?

And knock if off with this talk about the FAA/FSDO being reasonable.  Heresy!  ;-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know all the details of the event, just that the FSDO wasn't looking to crucify the pilot for punching in, declaring and complying instead of trying to scud run to the destination. That company did have an IFR program for some aircraft (not all though).

When it occurred, I was management at a company that shared some management with the other company.  We also shared the same certificate management team at the FSDO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Multiple airspaces......

He took off at John Wayne (Class C).  Field was VFR, he did not need a SVFR clearance.

He flew north VFR in Class G (he was well under the Class E transition area and the Class B for LAX).  He may have passed through a few Class D's on the way north like Los Alamidos or Long Beach.

Then he wanted to transition Burbank's Class C, but the field was IFR.  So he requested a SVFR clearance.  There was IFR traffic, and they have priority, so he had to wait outside the class C surface area circling.  (Some airport's have SVFR transition routes for helicopters on a Letter of Agreement that they can use even with IFR traffic, but this doesn't seem to be the case with this airport or operator.)  Soon as the IFR traffic cleared, the tower gave him the clearance and let him fly through the Class C surface area of Burbank.

Then he passed through Van Nuys's Class D which I believe he also did on a SVFR clearance.   It sits under the Burbank class C, so he would have been in their class D the second he left Burbank's Class C.

Then once he left Van Nuys's class D, he was back in Class G (non-controlled, no SVFR needed) as long as he stayed under 700 AGL.  That's when they offered him flight following, but he was too low (he was at 100-200 AGL).

I really don't know why everybody is hung up on clearances, airspace, and rules here.....it's procedural stuff and doesn't really have anything to do with the accident itself.  The WX was getting along his route and if he would have turned around or landed we would have never heard about this.  But since he's dead, everybody is so concerned about the events leading up to it......all of which were legal and procedural.  It's the last minute that's what counts.  The guy was flying into a canyon with low ceilings and diminishing viability @ 100-200 ft AGL at 140-150 kts.  That's what killed 9 and all that matters.  Drop the all the worry about him holding outside airspace or getting a SVFR clearance (it happens 100s of times a day if not 1000s all across the country anywhere the WX is below VFR.)
View Quote
This is on the money. He could have easily landed at Van Nuys and they could have Ubered to their destination. End of story.

I have flown helicopters in the LA greater metro area, and I have done my fair share of scud running. I have scared the crap out of myself, like most Army aviators have, enough to know better now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen as many completely unreasonable as the opposite, usually a function of the management of the FSDO and the experience of the inspector.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Multiple airspaces......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multiple airspaces......

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm an armchair pilot of computer generated planes and fascinated enough with aviation to follow much of the lingo from y'all real pilots...

And every time I read what you real pilots say about incidents like this convinces me that I was uncharacteristically wise in never spending the money on a pilot's license.

I can tell I'd be the kind of pilot whom you'd be talking about, and I am so very grateful that discussions like this keep me from actual aircraft.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm an armchair pilot of computer generated planes and fascinated enough with aviation to follow much of the lingo from y'all real pilots...

And every time I read what you real pilots say about incidents like this convinces me that I was uncharacteristically wise in never spending the money on a pilot's license.

I can tell I'd be the kind of pilot whom you'd be talking about, and I am so very grateful that discussions like this keep me from actual aircraft.

Thank you!
View Quote
At least you're smart enough to realize it.

Some don't, and end up dead because of it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#33]
***SPECULATION***

From the sound of things, the weather at the enroute airfield was decent SVFR (1100ft ceilings and 2.5mi vis).  Ceiling is fine and the vis is workable for a helicopter.  That said, it also sounds like conditions worsened near the crash site, with weather likely covering the valley they tried to fly through.  This is far more dangerous, as it is easy to box yourself into a valley, then find you have no good way out.  Given the increasing speed and high descent rate in the last minute of flight (4000-5000fpm descent is pretty hard fly intentionally), I would guess that the pilot went IIMC and became spatially disoriented.  I've gone IIMC before and also just entered IMC earlier than expected while flying IFR.  As a helo pilot who doesn't go IMC often, the first couple minutes can be very challenging.  Going IIMC is even worse, as you aren't expecting it.  It's quite easy to get spatial D in that kind of scenario, and starting low to the ground (due to trying to stay under the WX) makes the situation VERY unforgiving.  It's never a good feeling when you are flying in marginal weather with decent ground references, then look out and see nothing but white...and it's quite easy to do the wrong thing in that moment.

I don't know what the pilot saw or was thinking, but the speculation that he was going too fast for conditions and let himself get boxed in by weather is a very human mistake and quite believable.  I'd wager that most helicopter pilots have faced similar conditions at some point.  Many were just smart enough in that moment to land or climb out of it without hitting something (or simply lucky enough).  
This looks like it was probably spatial D due to IIMC, which is a tragic but preventable thing.

Personally, I don't like vis under 2mi, and ceilings under 400-500feet get dangerous with terrain or obstacles.  Sadly, sometimes you don't realize how bad the weather is until it is worse than what you are comfortable flying in, or it changes much faster than you expected.  Most of us would like to think we are wiser than this, but if we are honest, we all make errors...and in this case it looks like it became fatal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#34]
A close friend of who is a helo piloit and flies a very similar corporate chopper, said first thing you do in those types of conditions is slow the F down.  60 or 70 knots vs 150 gives you considerably more reaction time.  It appears Kobe’s pilot was wide open (or nearly so) the last 10 minutes leading up to the accident
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A close friend of who is a helo piloit and flies a very similar corporate chopper, said first thing you do in those types of conditions is slow the F down.  60 or 70 knots vs 150 gives you considerably more reaction time.  It appears Kobe’s pilot was wide open (or nearly so) the last 10 minutes leading up to the accident
View Quote
Two of my pilots are also H-60 pilots, another buddy is a 47 driver. All said the same thing.

Slow the F down.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#36]
A theory from Yahoo...

"I did not know Kobe and I am not a basketball fan. So I am examining this from an independent viewpoint.....Does anyone else believe that the crash could have been caused by Kobe attacking the pilot either in a fit of rage or maybe a drug induced rage ? Then only after the pilot was rendered helpless Kobe realized that no one could fly the helicopter. I am sure that Kobe being the type of person that he was that he tried to fly the helicopter but to fly one you need training which he did not have. It would be very telling to know if they found Kobe's remains in the pilot's seat. It would also be telling if they found the pilot's remains lying on the floor in the helicopter or maybe bound and gagged in the back seat.....Kobe was a young strong man and the pilot was weaker and older....The pictures on here show that the fog was not that bed, the pilot was very trained and the helicopter was state of the art....That only leaves the fact that the pilot was attacked and overcome.....I do not know if Kobe was addicted to hallucinogenic drugs (Magic Mushrooms) or maybe just a casual user. I am sure that a blood test will reveal this......"

Think about the fact that this individual can be responsible for at least one vote.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A theory from Yahoo...

"I did not know Kobe and I am not a basketball fan. So I am examining this from an independent viewpoint.....Does anyone else believe that the crash could have been caused by Kobe attacking the pilot either in a fit of rage or maybe a drug induced rage ? Then only after the pilot was rendered helpless Kobe realized that no one could fly the helicopter. I am sure that Kobe being the type of person that he was that he tried to fly the helicopter but to fly one you need training which he did not have. It would be very telling to know if they found Kobe's remains in the pilot's seat. It would also be telling if they found the pilot's remains lying on the floor in the helicopter or maybe bound and gagged in the back seat.....Kobe was a young strong man and the pilot was weaker and older....The pictures on here show that the fog was not that bed, the pilot was very trained and the helicopter was state of the art....That only leaves the fact that the pilot was attacked and overcome.....I do not know if Kobe was addicted to hallucinogenic drugs (Magic Mushrooms) or maybe just a casual user. I am sure that a blood test will reveal this......"

Think about the fact that this individual can be responsible for at least one vote.
View Quote
I know it's only February, but I feel confident in nominating this as the dumbest thing I'll read all year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know it's only February, but I feel confident in nominating this as the dumbest thing I'll read all year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A theory from Yahoo...

Occam’s razor and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A theory from Yahoo...

View Quote
Good God.  I realize the stupid are amongst us, but thats... real bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A theory from Yahoo...

View Quote
This only makes sense (ha!) if you don't have an iota of understanding about general aviation. This crash is not a mystery in any way; the pilot flew it into the ground as thousands of others have previous.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#41]
As a former Army IP & S-76 driver I offer the following.  The accident was totally avoidable.  To get to the nitty gritty it would be most helpful to have actual knowledge of where the LIMO driver was scheduled to pick the parties up because that is where the pilot was trying to get to.  But ..... The pilot's #1 job is to "fly" the helicopter.  My guess is he was busy looking down through the glass to keep the ground or buildings visible.  As soon as the aircraft entered total whiteout the pilot likely raised his head to look at his instruments and his inner ears told his mind he was in a turning bank.  He likely failed to trust the instruments and lost recoverable control of the aircraft.

As the visability was failing, and instead of trying to keep the customer happy in the back seat, the pilot should have declared an emergency and started a slow, powered climb straight ahead at 40 to 50 kts and transitioned to instruments .... but again, you have to fly the aircraft 1st, not worry about ATC and not put yourself in a pickle by trying to look down to keep the ground in sight.

Bad training produces bad habits .... which result in bad outcomes when good habits are required to execute the desired effect.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A theory from Yahoo...

View Quote
This person should not be allowed to have children. Or is this a writer for the National Enquirer ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Improved N72EX Kobe Bryant Animated Crash Reconstruction
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty good video. Probably really close to accurate
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top