Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 12:12:44 PM EDT

If anyone needs an annual...  I know a guy.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

If anyone needs an annual...  I know a guy.  

View Quote

Congratulations, from an IA
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, well done. Passed mine around 30 years ago...........and have not let it lapse.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Let mine go...... congrats and now go use it.

Missing those good relationships where I could borrow a plane for a quick trip. The IA side beefed those up much more than just working on them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let mine go...... congrats and now go use it.

Missing those good relationships where I could borrow a plane for a quick trip. The IA side beefed those up much more than just working on them.
View Quote

Im a corporate 135 DOM presently.  Been desperately missing my roots in true GA.  I grew up around fabric airplanes with no electrical systems and experimentals.  First sign off will be dad's 46 Aeronca Chief.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Had mine for 13 yrs......never done a single annual, never signed a 337, etc.  I worked for a 135 operator as a pilot.  I offered my mechanic services a few times when they started having a backlog of STC installs, but they got butt-hurt when they learned they would have to pay for those services.   Got out of aviation a few yrs ago, but still keep it current.  I thought they were going to nail me on the "activity" and FBO, but I just wrote "unemployed" on the form, had my two online recurrent training certs, and they signed off on it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats! You have now entered the zone where you can truly find your people skills.

Trying to tell owners that the "repairs" done by their next door neighbor 30 years ago really should be fixed or they need to spend a grand to try and save their own lives is one of the toughest things to do.

I hope you have a really good FSDO to work with, because that is the make or break point.

I had to retake and pass the exam 4 separate times because the local FSDO had an "unwritten" policy that they would not do verbal renewals as specified in the guidance because I was overseas when the renewal meeting took place when I did not meet to basic 12 month requirements (And those things were just a damn coffee clutch of old hens with not much new in regards to policy or guidance).

Find a decent mentor in the FSDO and work with him/her, even if it is not the one "assigned" to you. Keep everything that your new mentor tells you on the down low but use the knowledge to push back when needed without mentioning names.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks fellas.

Im a corporate 135 DOM presently.  Been desperately missing my roots in true GA.  I grew up around fabric airplanes with no electrical systems and experimentals.  First sign off will be dad's 46 Aeronca Chief.
View Quote
What part of WY? I've got 4 pipeline birds up there (182 & 210), it's always good to have a healthy contact list full of mechanics...Our birds fly out of Casper and Rawlins.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What part of WY? I've got 4 pipeline birds up there (182 & 210), it's always good to have a healthy contact list full of mechanics...Our birds fly out of Casper and Rawlins.
View Quote
Pm sent.

ETA:  Wouldn't let me send you one.  I assume you're with 46Q and 262?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pm sent.

ETA:  Wouldn't let me send you one.  I assume you're with 46Q and 262?
View Quote
Yea, those are a couple of 'em. I'll try to send you a PM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm getting ready to get my FSDO sign off to take my IA test soon. How bad is the test? Is it better to just cram and study like crazy and take it on my own or is it worth it to pay the money and go to one of the prep schools like Baker's in TN?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to get my FSDO sign off to take my IA test soon. How bad is the test? Is it better to just cram and study like crazy and take it on my own or is it worth it to pay the money and go to one of the prep schools like Baker's in TN?

Thanks!
View Quote
This.    

I'm considering trying for an IA soon.  Rumor is the FAA changed alot within the exams in late 2015, but cannot confirm.   Please spill the beans on your experience obtaining and IA
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
I think the test could be an absolute bitch if you don't prep properly.  It's not that it's hard...  it just covers a lot of ground and you dont get reference material for a fair amount of it.

Brush up on sheet metal formulas and definitions.  Some of the TCDS, AC 43.13, and extreme loading weight and balance questions could be really time consuming.  The FAR questions... you either know them or you dont.

They get considerably "trickier" with the way they word questions/answers than they were on the airframe, powerplant, and general writtens.  And, of course, there are questions where the "correct" answer is flat-out wrong.  

I went to Baker's.  A buddy did it that way and recommended them.  I bought the ASA prep stuff and tried to do it on my own.  It would have taken me 3 or 4 months of casual studying to get to the point Id have been confident enough to take the test.  Baker's... 4 days.  They know the test in and out, all the pitfalls, the gotcha questions, and do a great job of getting you ready.  They call it a week course, most of us tested on Thursday.  

Absolutely worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. It's looking like my best way of passing this test is the Baker's school approach. I purchased an IA test guide, but it is not giving me much confidence. It sounds like this test is a total pain in the ass, thanks FAA.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Got mine about 10 years ago. Have not used it so it has expired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top