Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 11:05:27 PM EDT
Went to Destin. What should have been a 5 hour drive turned into a 7 1/2 hour trip, both ways like usual. Freaking traffic.

Even going based off 105kts, 2:20.  

Great weather this past weekend too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Went to Destin. What should have been a 5 hour drive turned into a 7 1/2 hour trip, both ways like usual. Freaking traffic.

View Quote

Time to spare, go by air!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not saying you wouldn't have beat 7+ hours, but what would your actual door-to-door time be? You know, drive to the airport, pre-flight, taxi out, fly, taxi in, park, fuel, pay, organize ground transport, ground to final destination.

My classic Cessna 150 mission to my parents was 30 min. to airport, 30 min. to wheels in the air, 2:30 flying, 30 min. dicking around at the destination airport, 10 min. drive to parents. 4:10 door to door. I've driven it in 4:30. However, on a holiday, with gridlock, definitely having the last laugh. And 2:30 in the plane, even with all the rest of it, is so much less wearing than 4:30 in the car.

Now I can put a helicopter in the front yard. That does amazing things for improving the entire timeline.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha true

It's the waiting in the Car not moving that suuuucks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not saying you wouldn't have beat 7+ hours, but what would your actual door-to-door time be? You know, drive to the airport, pre-flight, taxi out, fly, taxi in, park, fuel, pay, organize ground transport, ground to final destination.

My classic Cessna 150 mission to my parents was 30 min. to airport, 30 min. to wheels in the air, 2:30 flying, 30 min. dicking around at the destination airport, 10 min. drive to parents. 4:10 door to door. I've driven it in 4:30. However, on a holiday, with gridlock, definitely having the last laugh. And 2:30 in the plane, even with all the rest of it, is so much less wearing than 4:30 in the car.

Now I can put a helicopter in the front yard. That does amazing things for improving the entire timeline.
View Quote
Depends, airport in town is only 10 minutes away, other airport where if most likely store a plane is 30 minutes.

So let's say an hour more per leg.

3.5 per leg flying versus 7.5 per leg Driving.

Half the time.
Even better if I'm going to Orlando.
Also, it would be a shame if I had to stay another day because the weather is bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Haha true

View Quote
Waiting in Meridian MS because the paint shop clogged the blast tube that cooled your alternator causing it to fail is worse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Waiting in Meridian MS because the paint shop clogged the blast tube that cooled your alternator causing it to fail is worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha true

yeah...that sucks more.lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
My main reason for flying was being able to go to our family cabin near Show Low, AZ.  I've made the trip 3 times now.  It's amazing how much faster it is.  

Drive time, with zero stops is 4.5 hours.  Usually, someone has to stop to go pee, so it ends up being about 5.  If there's an accident (single lane highway) it's taken more than 7.  We would usually leave after work on Friday and roll up to the door a little after midnight.  Then sleep til 9 because we were so wiped from the drive and getting in late.

Flying, it's just under 2.5 hours door to door.  That includes driving to the airport, pulling the plane out of the hangar, putting the car in the hangar, loading all the bags, etc.  Flying up, unloading the bags, getting to the rental car, and driving to the cabin.  Now, we can get up at 6am, load up, and be to the cabin before 9am, not tired, the whole day in front of us.  And instead of coming home Sunday morning to try to beat all the traffic, we can stay until Monday morning and fly home early - being back in time for work.

I used to dread driving up there, spending 10+ hours in the car.  We didn't go very often because it was such a drain.  I came back more tired than when I left.  I daresay we'll be spending a lot more time up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top