Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 6:26:59 PM EDT
So I bought a Champ!

Attachment Attached File

And it's a project.

I've been looking at Barons, Bonanzas and Debonairs for a month or two, because she has decided our 172 is too slow.  Who am I to argue about that?

I got tired of looking at Beechs, so I googled the N numbers of my Dad's old planes and found his first one sitting in a hangar with the wings off,  called the guy, looked at it and made a deal.  It needs to be rebuilt,  and probably has some cracked spars.

The wife isn't super happy with me setting back our new airplane search by a few month, but she'll get over it. Eventually

My dad was pretty surprised and happy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Worth it just to make your father happy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome to buy back a "family member" like that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent many an afternoon in 1 of those as a kid....along with a Piper Tri-Pacer.  Great cow pasture planes as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice find! Now go get that Bonanza!

I am trying to convince my wife we need to go from the F35 to the A36 - from four to six seats and from 165 to 185 KTAS cruise
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a minute I thought you owned a Chief, about the only airplane I know that is slower than a Champ.
View Quote
You should see a chief towing a banner.

Longest transitions ever.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
love me them old slow pokes!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Well at least your Dad is happy

I could live with that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to chase cows with a Champ.

I miss those days...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom sent me a pic from when my dad owned it.

Attachment Attached File

I'm going to crank the Champ up to warm it up to do an oil change. Not sure when it was last changed. The previous owner has been running it periodically at least.

It's going to be a while before I start working on the old girl, got too many other projects going on right now. I'm surprised the old man hasn't been down to check her out yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Friend of mine, when he was young and before he had a pilot's license, bought one of those. He had a job at an FBO and he learned to fly for free, less the cost of running the plane, by all the instructors that wanted to fly his Champ.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to chase cows with a Champ.

I miss those days...
View Quote
I had a 7AC Champ, chased a coyote or two with mine. Just remember to pull up when you see a fence...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top