Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By wsix:
Great tutorial. I wish I'd of read it before my first try. NP, it was a daewoo dr200 and they are naturally ugly.

I just whipped up an flecktarn/woodland scheme for my neck o'da woods.
Horrible pics.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/S4020814.jpg

I think if you added a few more small blotches of the lighter color to the rear and some other places it would really complete that.  Even w/ the pic quality it still looks good IMO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
5pt, can you tell me if you think that Satin Hunter Green (or anything else) matches Tango Down or Vltors Foliage Green furniture?

Ohhh...good question.  I am not really sure.  I would say probably not but I can't guarantee one way or another.  My CTR was foliage but I never compared it to the satin green.

My suggestion would be to sneak into wal-mart...find satin green...pull out your VFG...spray some satin green on something and then compare
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
cool paint job, guess I'll have to break ou tthe old sks stock and give it a test run.  Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
wow.nicely done, and excellent writeup!
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 10:38:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#6]
deleted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 2:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#7]
Thanks guys....Tweeter I can't wait to see it!  Wish I had an ACH to play around w/

ETA: and since you have no clue on what to do w/ it after you're done...send it to me for proper disposal
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 9:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#8]
deleted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 1:21:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#9]
Looks pretty damn good to me bro!  Man you even had the fading going on from green to light green!  WOWOWOWOW
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
That is an awesome job.  I will have to try that on something.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Well done! I might scan the pattern from the back of a M/C coat onto cardstock to make a stencil.  First Project:  Gerber LMF II.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Well done! I might scan the pattern from the back of a M/C coat onto cardstock to make a stencil.  First Project:  Gerber LMF II.

if you do could you post it so Some of us can print it also?
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Ziggy2c:

Originally Posted By stoner63a:

if you do could you post it so Some of us can print it also?

Shoo-wah.
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I was looking at my local ACE today and they had the Ultra-Flat Camo Fusion Krylon paint. All the cans had 4XXX series numbers for the colors (with the exception of the Hunter Green which had the same number you posted). Is it possible that the 8XXX series number on the ACE site is an ACE number and not a Krylon number?
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 9:40:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#15]
deleted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
bumping to keep from going into the archives...
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I used this same paint on magazines a week ago and just put them together today.  Here's the pics:

I just cut out card board for stencils.  Here's one in progress.

Here's all three.

They didn't turn out too bad.  As it was said on page one, it isn't meant to hold up in extreme conditions.  But it was fun to try!  
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By snake_eyes:
I used this same paint on magazines a week ago and just put them together today.  Here's the pics:

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Beetlevis/DSCF6675.jpg

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Beetlevis/DSCF6685.jpg

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Beetlevis/DSCF6690.jpg

I just cut out card board for stencils.  Here's one in progress.
i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Beetlevis/DSCF6682.jpg

Here's all three.
i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Beetlevis/DSCF6689.jpg

They didn't turn out too bad.  As it was said on page one, it isn't meant to hold up in extreme conditions.  But it was fun to try!  

Great work
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
look great on those mags bro.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Rescue43:

Why do you keep doing that?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks great and makes me want to go get a few cans and try a few camo patterns on my AK.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By fivepointoh:

Originally Posted By Rescue43:

Why do you keep doing that?  

Some idiots do that to boost their post count.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 2:13:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Can I share this information with some friends over at Sniper's Paradise?  Thank you sir.

-Levi
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By levimoliver:
Can I share this information with some friends over at Sniper's Paradise?  Thank you sir.

-Levi

Levi,

Sent ya an IM back...feel free to and I would be happy to join up over there if they have any questions.

Pat
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 10:05:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobothebigdog] [#27]
Very very cool.

ETA: Needs a tack and a move to the painting forum.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 11:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#28]

Originally Posted By Bobothebigdog:
Very very cool.

ETA: Needs a tack and a move to the painting forum.

Thanks!  I could probably get that arranged.  I'll see what I can do.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#29]
The question quickly becomes what DuraCoat colors are these?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2007 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent work and how too..

Dont know if this has been suggested,, since I didnt read every resoncehe
Peace
Steel Talon
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump fr the links
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I did this on my rifle today.  It didn't turn out as well as yours did.  Maybe you can shed some light on if you had these problems, and if so how you got around them:

1.  My Satin Hunter Green is a lot darker than yours appears to be.  

2.  I'm having troubles getting the base color right.  I think it's because the satin hunter green was darker for me.

3.  I got the wrong color brown, as I couldn't find Krylon Medium Brown.  My fault.  :-)  The brown I got turned out way too red.  

Other than that, the technique appears to work fine.  I'll be stripping it down and trying again a little later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Whup...figured it out.  It looks a lot better if you actually go TOO green in the first step and them come back after it with the khaki.  A lot closer color.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm starting a paint job on my rifle tomorrow. I'll keep the progress posted - thanks for the tips fivepointoh!
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is my follow up on this procedure, with pics and hints.

Colors

I couldn't find the coyote brown color locally, and for me the sage green was a little too strong.  

I did find Krylon Transparent paints in Forest Green and Woodland Brown at wal-mart.  These gave a better color on the green and an acceptable color on the brown.  Because they are transparent, they do a good job of allowing for fades and mixes.  

I also didn't find Sand Dune, so I used Satin River Rock for the white parts.  It seems to work okay.  

Technique

I learned a lot from the first time I did this job, and a lot more from the second time.

The first "Aha!" came when we misted the khaki paint with the green.  It's easier to get a good match if you go TOO GREEN and then come back.  It looked a lot better that way, as the green overspray caused it to look too dark when compared with MC fabric.

The second thing we learned was how well tin-foil templates worked.  They were so much more flexible than the manilla cards that it made the job much smoother the second time.

Third, and we even made this mistake a bit the second time, you should only lightly mist the green and light brown into the template holes.  It shouldn't be a solid color, or it will look wrong.  If you look at the real MC, it only gets that dark in some very few places.

Forth, your green and brown coverage should be 50-70% of the item to be covered.  If it's too sparse it will look really wrong, and it's hard to tell why.  

Lastly, the dark brown and white splotches don't do any fading in the actual Fabric like the brown and green do.  They should be pretty distinct.

Image for you guys and gals:

Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
wow!  That looks damn good!
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks great!
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks.  I may do it all over again with lighter applications of green and brown after I get it back from having another barrel fit.  Can't believe it's only been two years and I've shot this one out already.  :-)

It gets better every time you do it so long as you look at your mistakes and try to learn from each of them.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, I ordered my paint from the link in the first post back in the 18th of June and have yet to receive them.  Something about the tan being out of stock from Krylon.  Damn you all who ordered before me and took it all  Im going to practice this on my beater Mossberg 500 that already has a nasty camo job which was how I was able to get it for 150 out the door  If all goes well, Im going to paint up one of my ARs that has seen better days.  I'll post pics whenever the Krylon gets here and I can get started.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought this wa the "home of the black rifle"

Nice job
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I finally went to this link from your sigline to see what the heck this was about. I was thinking cam as in camera.

Awesome job! Good write-up too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm wondering how MC would look on an AK....

Maybe if I had the money for a beater I would experiment, or just some spare furniture
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#43]
How does the paint stand up to cleaning fluids on the rifle? Just wondering as i am thinking of doing this.

Link Posted: 7/22/2007 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
vector awesome job!
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By testedone:
How does the paint stand up to cleaning fluids on the rifle?

Any comments on this guys question
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#46]

How does the paint stand up to cleaning fluids on the rifle?

Any comments on this guys question

Sorry...hadn't noticed all the new comments.  First off thanks guys.

Second the paint has held up *okay* to CLP but the more I clean and use it the more the paint is wearing.

Third a multicammed AK would make....well wheres that pic of the girl crying  Honestly I'm not sure how it'd look but I would love to see one done!
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#47]
The paint doesn't hold up great, but, you know how to touch it up.

Painting a rifle is like painting an offroad truck. If you take it out and use it, the paint's gonna suffer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Painting a rifle is like painting an offroad truck. If you take it out and use it, the paint's gonna suffer.

Agreed  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]

The paint doesn't hold up great, but, you know how to touch it up.

Amen brotha!  Alot of the paint has worn off through use and getting banged around.  Still looking good though.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
tag
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top