Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 5:05:11 PM EDT
Is it worth the price difference to use .26ga over .29.

I have roughly 1600 sq ft, with a 10x20 porch roof, 5/12 pitch.  Basically roof is 14x60, only valley is where the porch roof meets main roof.
Shingles will be torn off.

So far I have one estimate of $8400.00. Waiting on three other roofers to call me back.

Duh, fixed gauge issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to clarify, you realize 29 gauge is thinner than 26 gauge?  What gauge was your first quote?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just to clarify, you realize 29 gauge is thinner than 26 gauge?  What gauge was your first quote?
View Quote

26 gauge in first qoute.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this over a solid deck or skip sheathing?

I prefer 26 gauge either way but wouldn't install 29 gauge over skip sheathing.

Standing seam or ribbed panels?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Going over 1/2 plywood.  Which do you think us better: standing seam, or ribbed?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get 26 gauge standing seam.  Rib is easier to put in and thus should be cheaper.  However, I think standing seam makes less noise inside during a heavy rain storm.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going over 1/2 plywood.  Which do you think us better: standing seam, or ribbed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer standing seam.  I like it aesthetically and from personal experience, it's less likely to leak over the long term.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
26 Gauge.

Just firm enough yet easy to work with.

29 would be too flimsy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
26.  Dents are forever.  

And though 29 may seem like it'd be easier to work with, it's also easier to bend a sheet when moving it around, lifting long-ish sheets up on the roof, etc.  Doesn't take too many bent sheets to make up the price difference between the gauges.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a roofer but I just had a 40 square standing seam roof done on my new house last year. You do NOT want exposed screws, unless you want to replace every screw every 5 years and hope you don't miss one. The neoprene washers will eventually leak. 26 gauge is more dent resistant (hail), and a striated panel will be less likely to oil can.  Kynar finish to top it off and that roof is done for 100 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top