Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 8:13:23 PM EDT
I've reset the damn code twice. Works good for a few days then poof I find the damn thing open again. No ryme or reason for it. Any ideas before I take a bat to it?  It's currently set to lock.

ETA it's about 1.5 years old.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
By "code" do you mean frequency? If not then reset the frequency too. Someone else may be using the same one or playing with you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I meant freq. there are new builds nearby so we figured it was that.  Now IDK wtf is going on with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Unhook your radio receiver from the operator.  If the gate operator stops opening on its own, then you have your answer.  If it keeps it up, then next try your keypad, or whatever other access device you have.  Keep doing that till you find the problem or have tried all the devices.
If none of the access devices are causing it, then it is time to see if wind or some other force is working on the gate causing small movements in the sensors that the circuit board reads and reacts to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok I'll give that a shot ty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unhook your radio receiver from the operator.  If the gate operator stops opening on its own, then you have your answer.  If it keeps it up, then next try your keypad, or whatever other access device you have.  Keep doing that till you find the problem or have tried all the devices.
If none of the access devices are causing it, then it is time to see if wind or some other force is working on the gate causing small movements in the sensors that the circuit board reads and reacts to.
View Quote
Whoops, I thought a 8165 was a gate operator, I googled it just now because I didn't recognize the model number and it is a garage door opener. 

Fortunately the above steps apply to both the same.

One thing I have seen relating to the radio receiver and transmitters (transmitters are what we all call the little garage door openers we put in our cars, or on our keychains) is that sometimes a transmitter somewhere in the house goes a little crazy and starts going off on its own without the button being pushed.  If you have any garage door openers that are in a drawer somewhere or in a spare car or something, try taking the battery out of them.  Or it even could be one of the ones you use every day.  It is a tough one to troubleshoot, it just takes time trying everything for a few days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea I removed the batteries to the extra remote. I thought it might be the wife's car with the built in opener but nope. Could battery drain cause this? I'll unhook the transmitter this weekend and give it a go.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Until you figure it out if it's wifi capable you can get an app to let you know when it opens, also can do on website with PC.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea I removed the batteries to the extra remote. I thought it might be the wife's car with the built in opener but nope. Could battery drain cause this? I'll unhook the transmitter this weekend and give it a go.

Thanks for the help
View Quote
Yes.  When you use it the voltage may take a while to return to what it needs to be and that can cause weird stuff. 

Radio controls are just weird period.  I have seen them work for over 1000' in some places, and the exact same equipment won't go over 20' in others. 
My theory is that all the signals being beamed from here to there for weather and traffic may be causing some of it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm ok gonna do some testing! Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My previous house had an issue where the opener would open on it's own. I went w/ it being the change in temperature and some component was changing value.

When it would happen I would change the sensitivity settings on the unit.

Never got bad enough to investigate further or swap it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna leave transmitter unplugged for a week and see if that fixes the issue. If so then I'll see if the wires are loose.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Check your safety beams, sometimes they get out of alignment and intermittently reverse the door while closing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top