Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
What are y'all using to organize the tools in your toolbox? I am looking for ideas, mostly for the socket drawer as I have loose sockets all over the place, duplicates of some sizes, and I am sure I am missing some sizes. I would like to organize the whole thing and have some form of keeper or organizer, but I am unsure of which system works the best. FWIW, I have a Crafttman red rolling toolbox.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
this

I have many of them and love them

edit: I didn't really pay attention to the webiste but that's a good price on them too!
       I got mine from Snap on and Matco but they sell them at Menards and F&F too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the Hansen trays. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
HF and Lowes (Kobalt) make knock offs of those trays that are decent. Been meaning to get some for a few years now, but I might just CNC some MDF at my buddies house and call it a day. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For some sockets, I use cheap steel rails. For others, I made custom trays out of sheet metal to fit the socket sets. They keep my drawers a little less cluttered looking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI

Tried several different methods and devices, dedicated boxes, sheet metal strip boxes, square plugs in strips ...

Ended up throwing them all away.  

Wrenches on the other hand ... I'm still seeking a solution for that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI

Tried several different methods and devices, dedicated boxes, sheet metal strip boxes, square plugs in strips ...

View Quote
I prefer wrenches on edge, but it's hard to find the drawer that lets you do that above about 1 inch.
1-1/8 open end takes a 2-1/2 inch tall drawer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Hansen trays are the way to go.  Lowes use to carry a copy but the discontinued them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
How much do you want to spend? These are on my list.Socket holders
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a couple of different types. The red plastic ones (first pic) have magnetic holders and a large magnet on the back and you can attach them to the side of the toolbox or they stay put in the drawer. The thin red metal one locks the sockets on the shaft with a quarter turn.  The black plastic ones the sockets just pop on and off. I see I need to clean my toolbox again.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using these for a while and like them.

Amazon Product
  • Universal twist-lock socket set organizer tray with 3 socket rails
  • Perfect for storage in the drawer, on the bench, or on the go; holds 45 sockets
  • Twist-Lock clips keep sockets secured for transport and prevent tool loss

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FPNI

View Quote
For wrenches I took a leftover piece of 14/2 wire stripped a piece out and wrapped it around a dowel. opened it up like a slinky and put my wrenches in between the coils. like this
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For wrenches I took a leftover piece of 14/2 wire stripped a piece out and wrapped it around a dowel. opened it up like a slinky and put my wrenches in between the coils. like this
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/d1/b9/06d1b9b1c9ee53ab0a34c0f6ae3ad4f0.jpg
View Quote
Whoa!

Simple and elegant solution ... Thank YOU!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like that.

Will have to do that for my toolbox.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
DAMN!!! Nice!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the Hanson socket organizers. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drive. I tried the Lowes version, and they didn't fit the drawers in my toolbox so I tossed them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
In my cart I use a combination of cheap harbor freight socket trays, and ernst brand wrench racks...along with some magnets.

In my big box, with bigger wrenches/sockets they either just lie there or I have magnets to keep them from rolling around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top