Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 9:22:25 AM EDT
There are a few things that I only replace with OEM on my GM's: A/C Compressors (New OEM or factory REMY), Fuel Pumps (New, A/C Delco or Delphi), spark plugs...  Wife and I both have GM vehicles, mine (FWD car) has 170K of very hard driving and all I've replaced is a starter, battery and brakes (trans and rear main seal replacement in the cards soon though).  Hers has 70k had water pump, steering rack rebuild (recall), motor mounts, and now one of the front struts has blown out with fluid goo coating the entire outside of the strut.  I've always had good luck with AC Delco shocks and struts but damn, a strut should last longer than 70k imho.  Would you replace with factory struts or just throw KYB's on there since its the kid hauler/family truckster?  Benefit of going with Gabriel or Monroe?  I researched the off-road brands when I had a jeep but don't recall if these brands are true upgrades or not.  Bilstein doesn't offer anything for wife's SUV like they do for the full size SUV's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went with Monroe for my car. They are running their shocktober rebate right now. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you watch for rebates and promos you can often get Gabrial or Monroe for prices that make it stupid to go with any other options. Last set I picked up (Monroe's) came in just a few dollars over the cheap stuff when I figured in the rebates and sale price.

Of course, this assumes you know they are going well in advance and you have time to watch for sales/rebates. If it's a surprise and the ride is bad enough to cause a hazard then don't wait.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever brand you pick get the "loaded" struts. So much less hassle, just unbolt and replace. No screwing around with spring compressers or searching for a shop and a ride to and from the shop to swap springs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever brand you pick get the "loaded" struts. So much less hassle, just unbolt and replace. No screwing around with spring compressers or searching for a shop and a ride to and from the shop to swap springs.
View Quote
This, it took me an hour, start to finish to do two.

But get a pro to check the alignment after.  It was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth. And the price difference wasn't that far off for me either. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Aftermarket? Sure. Cheapest pieces of Chinese crap you can get online or at the store. No. Short life or fitment problems are the most common problems I've seen.

Bilstein makes great stuff, KYB is hit or miss, but usually passable, they have multiple lines. Comparison shop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
did you check rockauto for assemblies ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've always heard them called "easy-struts" (may help the op find what he's looking for). They usually come with the hardware and springs already installed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
did you check rockauto for assemblies ?
View Quote
FWIW on my car Amazon was far cheaper. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW on my car Amazon was far cheaper. 
View Quote
Rockauto has 5% coupons pretty easily found online... for mine rock-auto was cheaper, and unless you pay for amazon's extortion fee called "prime" they are usually much slower on shipping. I've ordered parts from Rock-auto at noon 1 day and had them in-hand by 8 am the next morning, without paying for fancy-smancy shipping...
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I always look at Rockauto for car parts if its a planned repair.  If it requires a core exchange then a coupon at a local parts store is about the same price. I've had hit and miss luck with bearings being cheaper on Rockauto.   Usually shocks and struts are somewhere around 40% off what the local store has the same parts listed as.  You still get to use the shocktoberfest  rebates too.  

Wifes minivan is 7 years old with factory front struts....probably time to replace them.  I did the rear shocks 5 years ago.....maybe time again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wifes minivan is 7 years old with factory front struts....probably time to replace them.  I did the rear shocks 5 years ago.....maybe time again.
View Quote
My DD is 18 years old with factory fronts. Been through 3 sets on the back in the 13 years I've owned it but never touched the front. They are just starting to go bad and I'm on the fence about changing them. The car is over 1/4M miles, A/C doesn't work, only 2 windows work, has a small coolant leak, etc. It's starting to nickel & dime me...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Ready struts will double my cost and I already own a spring compressor, easy to remove the assembly then put in a vice to use the spring compressor.  Worth the price difference to me.  AC Delco struts are $60 at Rock Auto and KYB's are $90.. found some KYB's for $67 on Amazon.  Rock Auto turned around a bad steering pump around in 24 hours for me..it was rebuilt and was making a gawdawful racket/leaking fluid when I put it on a different SUV so they sold me overnight shipping for $5 yesterday and already got shipping notification on the replacement today. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ready struts will double my cost and I already own a spring compressor, easy to remove the assembly then put in a vice to use the spring compressor.  Worth the price difference to me.  AC Delco struts are $60 at Rock Auto and KYB's are $90.. found some KYB's for $67 on Amazon.  Rock Auto turned around a bad steering pump around in 24 hours for me..it was rebuilt and was making a gawdawful racket/leaking fluid when I put it on a different SUV so they sold me overnight shipping for $5 yesterday and already got shipping notification on the replacement today. 
View Quote
Keep in mind that springs and mounts can also experience quite a bit of wear. Not trying to spend your money, just pointing out that loaded struts are more than just convenience.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW for my car Monroe Quick struts were $115 ea for the fronts and $111 ea for the rears.  Total comes to $320 after the $80 rebate.  

I thought about just buying the struts, but this came out to be only slightly more and saved me a ton of time.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I just put 4 monroes on a friends car; one was blown within 3000 miles. not confidence inspiring...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#17]
rockauto.com Go Moog or go home.

Here's a 5% off coupon. Valid until 15 Oct. 2017
Coupon code: 6755600060573824
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top