Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2017 11:37:14 AM EDT
I have two of these 4-5" PVC vent type pipes coming out of the foundation of my houses slab area. One on each side of a 3000sq ft home. I can feel cold air coming out of them very faintly. No water ever comes out.

My neighbor has them too and he has no idea what they're for. All of my plumbing is stabdard size except the line in the kitchen sink area as well as the main lines to the septic system.

It's also not the dryer vent as that is a metal vent by the utility room.

I removed the cap and looked into the pipe and it just goes straight back until I can't see anymore, not into the attic or down into the soil. We supposed it's an overflow for the septic system and this was put into the slab before it was poured so that the septic doesnt overflow into the house?

The pipes next to it in the photo are old copper 1/2" pipes from an AC system that was removed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If there was a basement, I'd say it was a radon gas vent.

Do you have a soil stack through the roof?  Might be some sort of sewage vent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Intake and drains for old or current HVAC unit 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No basement. I do not have an external soil stack. I have several 2" PVC vents for the plumbing lines coming out of the roof of the home. And the 4" PVC line in the kitchen sink area has an air admittance valve at the top.

Quoted:
Intake and drains for old or current HVAC unit 
The home has two A/C units and no water comes out of these pipes - the A/C drains are 1" PVC and are clearly outside the home adjacent to the external A/C fan units. The intake for the A/C units are inside the home in the form of ceiling intakes, that have filters on them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a chase pipe for the old AC lines. Is there a similar pipe near the AHU?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are not AC lines. AC lines will have a larger and a smaller line. 3/8 and 3/4 od.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
make up air vents? or some kind of crawl space humidity venting?

J-
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This continues to stump pretty much everyone I ask lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Under slab vents.

They are to try and make sure moisture that gets under the slab has a way out besides going up through the slab.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Under slab vents.

They are to try and make sure moisture that gets under the slab has a way out besides going up through the slab.
View Quote
This sounds the most possible....

Have any more info or links? Pic examples? etc?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
id agree to a slab vent, but ive only seen this for large walkin freezers commercially that use an insulated slab. they use a vent which is S piped, with an intake and on the other side an exhaust fan, to prevent condensation and then freezing which will cause the slab to crack and heave.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Radon vent?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Radon vent?
View Quote
Nope
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Under slab vents.

View Quote
I have seen them called for in high water table areas.
Also in areas with lousy perc (determined when testing for wpetic fields) can trigger calling them out.

I had a house that had a wet basement at xome pint in tme.

The entore basement floor had been cut up for drainage lines.
The last step of the stairs was only 4 inches (very much not allowed now) to get cover over the old floor slab instead of removing it.
The block walls had all been grouted to 12 inches aboe the soil line outside.

It was dry as a bone at that point.
After getting tired of tripping on that stuff I framed the floor up 4 with PT wood and added PT plywood.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Daylight pipe for draintile under slab is my guess. I just installed something similar in our new build, but have to get quite a distance away from the house to let gravity do its job.

It's not unrealistic for it to be bone dry, my previous home's draintile system never saw a drop of water.

Is this a slab on grade or crawlspace home?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Daylight pipe for draintile under slab is my guess. I just installed something similar in our new build, but have to get quite a distance away from the house to let gravity do its job.

It's not unrealistic for it to be bone dry, my previous home's draintile system never saw a drop of water.

Is this a slab on grade or crawlspace home?
View Quote
slab on grade in FL, not far from a flood zone
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Watching an episode of Chip and Joanna this past weekend they had a "slab" house that had space between the concrete slab and the ground.  I forget what they called it, but apparently its a very expensive technique.  Might be what you have and this is a vent for moisture to escape.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Watching an episode of Chip and Joanna this past weekend they had a "slab" house that had space between the concrete slab and the ground.  I forget what they called it, but apparently its a very expensive technique.  Might be what you have and this is a vent for moisture to escape.
View Quote
Given the neighborhood, I wouldn't doubt a very expensive technique could have been used.

If you can remember any details or what it was called please let me know!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Given the neighborhood, I wouldn't doubt a very expensive technique could have been used.

View Quote
Slab jacking?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe a drain to mitigate soil shrinkage under the slab.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Voided slab?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You say they were not for AC but the large pipe could easily of been a chase for the two refrigerant lines insulated and condensate drain. A very common practice. You state the two other lines are one half inch, not a size commonly used in AC, but easily could have been for a hot water recovery unit hooked to a AC that may have been there at one time. Again that is very common, in Florida anyways, not sure where you are at.. my two cents. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Might been used to lower water table while slab was poured

Pull the screen off and hook up a shop vac and see if you start pulling ground  water

or shit out of your sanitary this is now a poop thread
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe you could run a heavy fish tape into it and listen on the floor above for the sound when it 'bottoms out' w/ a cheap medical or automotive stethoscope. Might give a clue.

Had a sewer line cleanout we couldn't locate and I had a friend hit a cleanout abt a 100 feet away, and then used an automotive stethoscope to locate the cleanout I knew the rough location of.

That cleanout had broken and tree roots had grown into it clogging the sewer, was a very easy fix with a little backhoe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe this?
Top Top