Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:14:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Why do you think I purchased my ar lower now...

Yes, go ahead an buy lowers, I've put a few away, myself. But that got me thinking - we can make lowers and probably the other aluminum parts easily enough on a CNC mill and date them however we want if necessary. But what is the choke point, the part or parts that we would have the hardest time acquiring if there was another ban?

It seems to me that parts that we currently take for granted as being freely available, such as barrels and special bits like bolts, barrel extensions and selectors would really be the problem if Hillary and the left really came back into (Congressional) power as in the Bush II / Clinton era.

I've always thought that it would be far worse for us if the barrel was the registered part. That the lower is currently the registered part is more or less arbitrary, after all. The original (AI manufactured) AR-10 was numbered on the upper receiver, not the lower, and of course the FAL "numbered part" is also the upper.

Can some of you guys with materials/manufacturing expertise provide some insight on this idea?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 12:33:03 PM EDT by wildearp]
Yes. Buy a boat too.

I suggest buying quality, stripped lowers. If elections go down hill and things get close to a vote, then buy LPK and stocks and finish them. Keep the receipts. You could just buy one stock and LPK and then move them between each lower to beat the construct-before-this-date part of the possible ban language.

I am not sure what else you can do to prove they were made before the next potential ban, but I hope somebody will post it below.

I hope it will never happen again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:29:00 PM EDT
Well, I for one am stocking up on the lowers, and am going to be doing the LPK/upper swapping so that I can get around the "build by date" and taking pictures/having them notorized so that I can proove that they existed as "built." I'm not sure what the next ban will ban, but I can go on what was banned before....and I feel that's the only logical place to get info from at this point.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:35:54 AM EDT
I guess what I'm asking might be a "what-if" type question, a worst-case if the left got its way after HRC was elected.

I'm not talking about the left simply dusting off the old 94 AWB - if you're planning to build "pre-ban" assault weapons in anticipation of having them grandfathered into a new AWB, then you are like the generals figuring out how to fight the last war as the new one blind-sides them.

If HRC got into power, along with the dems taking back congress, and if they thought they could get a ban passed they wouldn't settle for just reinstating the 94 AWB. I think we'd be looking at a whole new and much worse attempt to ban "assault weapons" and then progressing on to our worst nightmare of a British-stype ban of almost all guns.

So let's post a worst-case scenario where HRC is elected, the dems get control of congress and Ted Kennedy is the majority leader, with the Feinsteins, Schumers, etc. in the other congressional leadership positions. Does anybody think they'd pass a new AWB without fixing the "loopholes" of the old one?

Wouldn't it make more sense (from the banners' perspective) to restrict or just ban civilian purchase of barrels for "assault weapons" by requiring them to be numbered and registered, then making the ATFE refuse to accept the registrtions and tax payments as is already the case with machine guns?

We could, for example, roll our own from 80% lowers, or if access to the castings was restricted it would be fairly easy to make lowers out of billet aluminum using CNC technology as KT Ordnance is already doing. Failing that, people have actually made simple functional lowers out of two aluminum plates. But what about barrels and other complex steel parts? You can't just cobble up a good barrel or bolt.

Shouldn't we be buying barrels, bolts and fire control parts also/instead?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
The next ban will ban the sale of ALL parts. It was part of the etempt to renew the ban. So save yourself so time and just buy hole guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:49:21 PM EDT
And dont think granpa's old scope sighted .270 will escape notice either. It will become a needlessly powerfull sniper rifle designed to kill police officers at extreme ranges.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:11:48 PM EDT
I agree that we should focus more on buying whole guns and their internals. And as always ammo and mags..... keep it effectively simple
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:15:36 AM EDT
I say we all buy m-16s and find out if they will ban it again a riot. Thats just me. I don't believe they will try to ban it again it doesn't make any sense the crime rate hasn't gone up and alot of politcal leaders are giving up the anti-gun thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 13thWarrior:
I say we all buy m-16s and find out if they will ban it again a riot. Thats just me. I don't believe they will try to ban it again it doesn't make any sense the crime rate hasn't gone up and alot of politcal leaders are giving up the anti-gun thing.

*cynic mode* becuase of lack of return on effort, not lack of belief *cynic mode*
Top Top