Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:56:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
spend money only on HD (high definition) It will be the only format supported in the near future.

ED is for chumps (no offense intended) who do not do the research.

You will also need a source for the HD signal to really enjoy it. That would mean a HD box from your cable or sattelite company. Or an HD tuner if you live a metro area and can put up with what the networks pump out.

Size and manufacturer are set by your budget. The big box stores like Costco and Sam's have pretty darn good prices. Price compare and check on line.

Remember, sales people push what they sell. That is, if they have a lot of DLP, that is what they will tell you is the best.  Know what you want the set for: Plasma if you like movies, DLP if size or sports is your main concern.

Regards,

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Plasma.
Got one before Thanksgiving, couldn't be happier!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
When I go to Sears, I check out all the different flatscreens. I really like the picture quality of the high-end LCDs.  Not to mention, my computer moniter is an LCD and I always watch movies on it because the picture is so good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
DLP
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]
what kind of HDTV? Plasma, LCD, DLP, what? Go with something HD as ED just... well, it isnt HD.

If you can find a decent plasma HDTV for a good cost, take it and RUN
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it matter what brand?   There seems to be quite a bit of difference between something like a Sharp, or Sony, and some off brand like Izo(sp?).   I'm inclined to go with the Sony or even a Sharp, or Magnavox but is there really any difference?

My wife and I are about to take the plunge and buy a 36" LCD monitor.   It is about perfect for our needs and the area that we want to put it in.

On the other hand we want a little 15" job for our bedroom.   Would you stay with the name brands for it, or would you risk it for a off brand?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
hdtvoice.com
ARFcom of tv
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a Sony KDE 37 XS955 about 8 months ago. Best TV I've ever owned. I have HD channels from Comcast and the picture is just awsome. I also purchased a Sony DVD with HDMI and the picture looks kickass. I'm happy with my plasma. I looked a Panasonic as well. I went with Sony because I've always owned sony and the price was right $2400.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Been anticipating the sales for electronics and will be getting a flat panel.

Which do you recommend?

LCD

HDTV

EDTV Plasma

It really comes down to size. What size tv are you looking to purchase? If it is over 37", go with HD Plasma. Under that, go with LCD. We just got two plasmas in the house. A Panasonic 50U and a Pioneer 42" (can't remember the model #), both look great on DVD's... unfortunately my cable company is out of HD boxes so I'm on a waiting list to get those.

-d
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top