User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I volunteer.  I vote for those hereby interested as posted do a starter bit.  Perhaps we should get a handful of ideas and post a poll for what it should be.  I personally don't want to do a public scene not for lack of balls but for the hassle and the inopportunity for dress and set-up.  Also because I really want to see what Sarge is going to come up with.

Fodder:
BeetleBailey
Burley
captainpooby
FanoftheBlackRifle - stills
Kodiak-AK
pathfinder74
SgtAR15 - stills
SteyrAug
thebomber
Wobblin-Goblin
Wombat_SCSO

Volunteer Judges:
NorCal_LEO
photoman
Sp1grrl
Sylvan

Obviously we should do a gun scene or something similar.  We could do a war scene, drama scene, etc.  Actually, a scene from Heat would probably be most fitting to kick it off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's a good idea...You'll have to figure out what gun they used, though.  Maybe someone here knows...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You must've missed the part where I said I was in. It was right after you started to waiver once acting out in public was brought up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I volunteer.  I vote for those hereby interested as posted do a starter bit.  Perhaps we should get a handful of ideas and post a poll for what it should be.  I personally don't want to do a public scene not for lack of balls but for the hassle and the inopportunity for dress and set-up.  Also because I really want to see what Sarge is going to come up with.

Yes's:
BeetleBailey
Burley
captainpooby
Kodiak-AK
pathfinder74
SgtAR15 - stills
SteyrAug
Wobblin-Goblin
Wombat_SCSO
Maybes:
npd233 out
Wombat_SCSO moved to IN list

Volunteer Judges:
NorCal_LEO
photoman
Sp1grrl
Sylvan

Obviously we should do a gun scene or something similar.  We could do a war scene, drama scene, etc.  Actually, a scene from Heat would probably be most fitting to kick it off.

like the idea of doing something from heat, maybe we can knock it down to re creating a scene from a couple of movies, pic one from the list type thing.

Say as an example this is the list.
Heat
Boondock Saints
Reservoir Dogs
Red Dawn

You have to pick one and re-make a scene from it. One way or another.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You must've missed the part where I said I was in. It was right after you started to waiver once acting out in public was brought up.

Or the part that said I wasn't.

Reading is Fundamental.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

like the idea of doing something from heat, maybe we can knock it down to re creating a scene from a couple of movies, pic one from the list type thing.

Heat
Boondock Saints
Reservoir Dogs
Red Dawn

Fixed the participant roster for ya.  

I like the list.  Should we poll?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat
Boondock Saints
Reservoir Dogs
Red Dawn

Fixed the participant roster for ya.  

I like the list.  Should we poll?

Sure if you want to. The other question is do we let the participants pic the scene or do we pick a couple scenes from each movie and then the participants can choose from those?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why not let them pick their own scene?  As long as it stays within the time limit, who cares?  I think it'd be great to see what they came up with.  Give them a few movies to choose from and let them get creative.

Just throwing out ideas, I'm partial to the let them choose which movie and the scene from that  ovie thta they want to do. (I want to see Captainpooby do the skydiving getaway scene from Point Break eventhough it's not on the list that would be slick)

Got any other ideas for the "approved" movie list, I think it's missing something. Maybe a comedy or something(like a Mel Brooks Flick) or a war flick.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Now that would be funny as hell
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
K ,so whats the time limit?  For storage issues and such I would think that three minutes or less would be optimal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
K ,so whats the time limit?  For storage issues and such I would think that three minutes or less would be optimal.

Hard to say. It all depends on what scene they pic to do. not all scenes will be a set time.  Maybe something like no less then 3min, but they can go up to say 10min maybe if it called for it. Well 10 might be to long, but then again if the secne is actually that long well....

It might just be  best to set a minimum time and leave it at that. My guess it it should be doable within 3-5mins.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to say. It all depends on what scene they pic to do. not all scenes will be a set time.  Maybe something like no less then 3min, but they can go up to say 10min maybe if it called for it. Well 10 might be to long, but then again if the secne is actually that long well....

It might just be  best to set a minimum time and leave it at that. My guess it it should be doable within 3-5mins.

I do think there should be a maximum, though.  If not, then you run the risk of somebody doing something much longer than another person, then judges feel guilty that so-and-so made one that was longer, and blah blah blah.  Know what I mean?  I think it should be between 5 and maybe 10 or 12 minutes.  If the scene somebody does is longer than that, then they'll have to cut it down.  Just my .02.  YMMV, and all that other stuff.

10min should be more then enough time. i'm cool with that if everyone else is.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Never seen it.  Hate war films too.

I guess I'm not a good fit for this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Do you guys realize how long five minutes really is?  On even a low-quality film capture, that is more filesize than the average Joe can even attempt to find to host somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you guys realize how long five minutes really is?  On even a low-quality film capture, that is more filesize than the average Joe can even attempt to find to host somewhere.

Yes I do, were just throwing around ideas. The thing is there are scenes that can last 10min. What are you going to do? Ya really can't do much about it.

2-3 mins isn't enough time to do anything really worth while. 5 min is cutting it close and a MAX of 10 would allow for a better "movie"

If done right 10min is not that bad and shouldn't be a problem. What length would you like to see it kept to time wise?

As for the hosting I'm sure we might be able to work something out with his goatness, afterall this was his idea.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Agreed, plus 5 minutes of QUALITY filming is harder to do then most people think.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, plus 5 minutes of QUALITY filming is harder to do then most people think.

Sgat1r5

The hell it is. You just need to know what the hell yer doing.

In all honesty this should be judged not just based on the quality of the acting but all aspects, including the editing, cinematography etc..

5mins should not be aproblem, either should 10. In the right formats they shouldn;t be to large of files. Shit I just watched a 6+min video the other day and it sure wasn't a bear of a file size wise.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Well, I'm not even going to worry about a time limit then since it is going to be determined by the scene selection anyhow.  Sarge has already submitted his free-style audition piece, I think the rest of us should as well while the judges choose a scene for us to do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I'm not even going to worry about a time limit then since it is going to be determined by the scene selection anyhow.  Sarge has already submitted his free-style audition piece, I think the rest of us should as well while the judges choose a scene for us to do.

Thought this was pick yer own??
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Count me in.

Bomber

Beetle,

Not sure how you missed this....

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Count me in.

Bomber

Beetle,

Not sure how you missed this....

Bomber

sorry

Fodder:
BeetleBailey
Burley
captainpooby
Kodiak-AK
pathfinder74
SgtAR15 - stills
SteyrAug
thebomber
Wobblin-Goblin
Wombat_SCSO

Volunteer Judges:
NorCal_LEO
photoman
Sp1grrl
Sylvan

Thought this was pick yer own??

Yeah, that's what I meant

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#27]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
A sample scene... ok let's make this the tentative initial scene would be something like going to a mall or restaurant and living Heston's famous soylent green discovery.

"SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!!!!"

Nice, short, and sweet!

I think the more public and silly, the better! I think even a normal digital camera with ability to do short video may suffice. These things shouldn't be more than a minute here and a minute there.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
A sample scene... ok let's make this the tentative initial scene would be something like going to a mall or restaurant and living Heston's famous soylent green discovery.

Nice, short, and sweet!

I think the more public and silly, the better! I think even a normal digital camera with ability to do short video may suffice. These things shouldn't be more than a minute here and a minute there.

Ah, thank you for that clarification, the Goat has already spoken!  So now, what scenes?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice, short, and sweet!

Ah, thank you for that clarification, the Goat has already spoken!  So now, what scenes?

Pehaps then it would be best to wait for the goat to post an "official" set of rules before getting started then.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, we should wait for GB to come up with the 'officials'.  I think he has a lot on his plate right now, though...

Agreed.  That's why I initiated this series of follow-up after:

Quoted:
unless someone wants to get a list of people interested and see where we are.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
OK. Here's my take.
Since it needs to be about a minute long, we should pick a classic "line" or quote from a movie, not a whole scene.

Like this:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

or this:

You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

or this one:

Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. See, they call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels"; but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course I ain't never been to London, and I ain't never seen France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd seen in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Give me until Sunday and I'll have the second one
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#34]
How does this sound, we come up with a movie list say 5 movies, a comedy, a war flick, a crime drama, a horror flick and then one of the participants choice. The participant chooses which scene from the movies on the list they want to do, one from each movie. The clips are to be kept to 3min max(but can be shorter).  That way we have 5 clips, at 3min tops from each participant. Then those 5 clips will be judged each individualy and then the scores from each one added together for a total score. highest score wins.

A simple scoring system can be used, such as a 1-10 point scale. We could also use an average total score instead of just saying the highest total. Whatever yall want to do.

Does that sound ok to everyone?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#35]
If you want an extra judge to make it an odd number, count me in.

Also, i recomment Rocky Horror Picture Show for at least one of the movies. I'm sure there's some arfcommers here who woudl have a blast with that one.....lol....

(ducking and covering)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn, wish I had a video camera.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#37]
What happened to this anyhow. Seems to have been dismissed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#41]
<puts on judge's robe and lifts gavel>
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Why is this still tacked. It doesn't look like it's evern actually going to happen...
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure most of the people who were revved up to do it back about 40 months ago have lost interest.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#46]
If this started to spin up again I think I could muster up some motivation.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#47]
anyone going to throw the towel in on this one and un tack it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
anyone going to throw the towel in on this one and un tack it?

how 'bout sending an IM instead of BTT'ing it every month?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#49]
BTT? It's tacked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
BTT? It's tacked.

I guess he meant BTT'ing it to the top of his My Active Topics...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top