Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 10:21:57 PM EDT
Anyone else collect movie soundtrack themes and music? I've been collecting for 40 years. There are a number of old movies that I've wanted the soundtracks and could never get them. Many either never were released or were for a very short run and are out of print and unavailable. It seems like the greatest and most creative composers were Italians and Germans. I have  a lot of Ennio Morricone's soundtracks like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and one of my favorite soundtracks is Fists of Fury aka The Big Boss by German composer Peter Thomas. I've found some of these old soundtracks surfacing on Youtube. Here are some.

I saw this movie at the drive-in back in 1970 and at the time the theme song didn't impress me because it didn't seem appropriate (weirdly out of place) for a horror movie. But, now that I've heard it again (40 years later) it seems like a beautiful theme. Composer was German composer Michael Holm.
Link to Mark of the Devil

I found this one on Youtube also. I never saw this particular movie because I never was interested in gore movies. Yet I just heard this theme song and thought it was surprisingly good and yet weirdly out of place for the subject material. Composed by Italian composer Riz Ortolani.
Link to Cannibal Holocaust

Another one I've wanted since I first saw the movie in 1979. Italian composer Franco Micalizzi.
Link to Stridulum
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several, many on cassette.
I'm slowly going to CD as my budget allows

Lawrence of Arabia

Midnight Cowboy

Airport

And others...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I started out collecting soundtracks on LP records like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly which was an Italian record set with all the labels and writing in Italian. I looked for 5 years and finally found Hawaii Five-0 on an LP record. I had wanted the soundtrack to the TV series The Outer Limits. After 25 years I finally found a cd of the Outer Limits soundtracks. I also found cds of soundtracks of the TV series The Avengers, Man in a Suitcase, The Prisoner, and The Baron.

It also took me about 25 years to finally find a cd to the Bruce Lee movie The Big Boss which was titled "Fists of Fury" in the US (even though the actual Chinese version was titled The Big Boss and Fists of Fury was the title of his second martial arts hot movie which was titled "The Chinese Connection" in the US). I read (a few years ago) that the movie The Big Boss was purchased for distribution in western (English speaking) countries and the distributor changed the name to "Fists of Fury" and commissioned a German composer named Peter Thomas to compose a new soundtrack for it that would appeal to western audiences. I finally learned why this was done. I purchased the Bruce Lee the Legacy Collection which contained a number of Bruce Lee's movies on Bluray discs in English versions and the original Cantonese language versions. I took a look at The Big Boss in Cantonese language and the music sucked royally. It was very anemic sounding lackluster/boring music. The German composition soundtrack was much more stirring and exciting than the lame Chinese original.

Because of my soundtrack collection I never listen to the radio in my truck. I only listen to cds that I have made of various soundtracks. Good luck with your collection and keep collecting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The soundtrack to Solaris and Drive are by Cliff Martinez are very good.  Tangerine Dream did Thief and Risky Business.  The Almost Famous soundtrack is really good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are a few TV themes from Youtube.

Link to The Baron

Link to The Avengers

Link to The Prisoner
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't collect, but do enjoy them as a whole. Prefer the more aggressive OSTs. Some of my favorites are Last of the Mohecians, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator (getting the Hans Zimmer pattern?), Terminator(s), and the likes.

There are also a lot of video game soundtracks that are very good. Like God of War series and Skyrim come to mind.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't collect, but do enjoy them as a whole. Prefer the more aggressive OSTs. Some of my favorites are Last of the Mohecians, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator (getting the Hans Zimmer pattern?), Terminator(s), and the likes.

There are also a lot of video game soundtracks that are very good. Like God of War series and Skyrim come to mind.
View Quote
Add the Christopher Nolan Batman series to this list - James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got this CD in.

The link stinks, the CD Fantastic.

I also just ordered the Two-Disk CD of the 1959 version of Ben-Hur.  I should be listening to Good Music very shortly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got this John Barry LP 33 1/3 and besides The Persuaders it has a number of old John Barry hits like the original James Bond Theme, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and a number of others.

Some of my favorite cd's that I have found are:

This one took me decades to find. It has the most complete and original soundtrack music from this movie. I have many other cds and this is the only one that is complete. All other cds of the track Il Trielo (the climax track at the graveyard with the duel taking place/ after The Ecstasy of Gold track) last about 5 minutes. This is the complete original which lasts 7:14.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few favorites that I love to listen to. These are my tops depending on my mood

The Man From Snowy River

Conan The Barbarian

To Live And Die In L.A.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spartacus - The Kirk Douglas One

12 Monkeys - Bruce Willis

Risky Business

Westside Story

OP - interesting topic choice!
View Quote
I've loved movie soundtracks since I was a kid and got my first portable cassette recorder and started recording TV shows like The Avengers, The Baron, The Outer Limits, and many others from the TV. Later I started buying soundtracks on LP 33 1/3  records, and finally cd's. I prefer movie and TV show soundtracks to listening to songs on the radio. I make my own mixes from various soundtrack sources and listen to them on my cd player in my truck. I haven't listened to a radio broadcast in about 10 years. When I bought my new truck they gave me a free month of Sirius radio. I never used it.

Besides soundtracks I collect movies. First on dvds, then Laser discs, then bluray discs, and now 4K UHD discs. Unfortunately, most of the new movies these days don't have soundtracks that are memorable, or stirring, or exciting like the older movies did. For me, the soundtrack is the heartbeat of a movie and sets the mood and even enhances the movie, even if the movie is mediocre. Anyway, thanks for the posts and keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
After over 40 years of collecting soundtracks I just learned that the trumpet player on many of Ennio Morricone's compositions (all of the Clint Eastwood Italian Westerns directed by Sergio Leone) was Michele Lacerenza.

Link to Johnny's Theme played by Michele Lacerenza

Link to trumpet solo Fistful of Dollars by Lacerenza

Link to For a Few Dollars More  

Link to The Trio from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with trumpet by Michele Lacerenza
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Kewllllllll

Manhunter Soundtrack Special Limited Fanclub Edition -FULL-
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, before there was "Silence of the Lambs," there was "Manhunter." "Manhunter" introduced me to the Dr. Hannibal Lecter character. And Tom Noonan made a much more menacing psycho character (Dollarhyde the "Tooth Fairy") than Ted Levine (James Gumb "Buffalo Bill??? Really, Buffalo Bill? ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top