Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2017 8:54:18 PM EDT
Evening fellas,

We just added a large cedar patio cover to our back yard to get a little relief from this TX sun during pool time, and we're wanting to add a TV and surround sound. Are there any decent bluetooth systems that can connect to a Smart TV/Smart phone these days? In years past I always heard the wireless models/systems sucked, but tech has (maybe?) come a long way in the last few years. If not, which wired in speakers/receiver would y'all recommend for outdoor use? I'm cool with going either way really. Bro-in-law used to install high-end home theater systems so he can do the work, but figured I'd start here for some reco's...

TIA
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know on an outdoor receiver.

I have a pair of definitive technology AW6500s under my car port. The have a passive radiator on the side that faces the ceiling. They produce pretty good lows for what would be considered a book shelf with a 6.5" woofer.  They are sold single so you could get 5 and use one for the center channel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Wireless still sucks. It's only wireless signal wise.  Either need batteries or a wall outlet by speaker receiver. It's a decent option for rear surrounds in family rooms sometimes.

Monoprice had some good outdoor speakers for cheap. If you don't have multiple sources you could always run those with a micro amp tucked behind tv.

Let me know what you end up getting. Outdoor sound is on my todo list as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas,

Still doing some looking around, will let everyone know what I end up with
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a 10-15 year old Onkyo amp. Use a Google cast for streaming audio. Use it and Roku with audio out to amp. 50' HDMI to TV. Easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bro-in-law used to install high-end home theater systems so he can do the work, but figured I'd start here for some reco's...
TIA
View Quote
Ask your BIL for a recommendation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top