BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2011 7:11:18 AM EDT
Thread title says it all... Any good ones? I've only seen 'Enemy at the Gates.'
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
"Cross of Iron."

"Stalingrad."

"Attack and Retreat," a 1965 movie with Peter Falk about the Italian Army on the Eastern Front.

There's a few more out there but not many.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't focus on the fighting so much, but I enjoyed a Russian film called Ballad of a Soldier.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've yet to see it, but I've heard that Come and See is good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Two good Finnish movies...
Winter War, and, Ambush.

If you look around you may get lucky and find the combined DVD version which has both titles as a double disc set.

The Russian movie, Come and See, is a bit, er...interesting. Highly propagandized to put it mildly!

Will post more as I remember them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

worst fucking movie ever.

"Talvisota" is a pretty decent film about the Winter War between the Finns and Russians, if you like artillery scenes, this movie is an orgy of artillery scenes..
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Force 10 from Navaronne is ok.   but not a typical eastern front movie.

+1 for Cross of Iron

heard good things of winter war, not seen it

+1 for Stalingrad

this list is from wikipedia

"Pages in category "Eastern Front of World War II films"

The following 39 pages are in this category, out of 39 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
A
Allegro s ognyom
Ambush (1999 film)
The Ascent
Attack on Leningrad
B
Ballad of a Soldier
Bastards (film)
Battle of Moscow (film)
The Battle of Stalingrad (film)
The Brest Fortress
C
Come and See
Counter-Attack
The Cranes Are Flying
Cross of Iron
C cont.
The Cuckoo (film)
D
The Dawns Here Are Quiet
Days of Glory (1944 film)
Defiance (2008 film)
E
Enemy at the Gates
F
The Fall of Berlin (film)
Franz + Polina
H
Hot Snow
I
Italiani brava gente
Ivan's Childhood
L
Liberation (film series)
M
March of Millions
O
On the Nameless Height
R
Rainbow (1944 film)
S
Secret Agent (1947 film)
Stalingrad (1989 film)
Stalingrad (film)
Stalingrad: Dogs, Do You Want to Live Forever?
Star-Crossed Lovers (film)
The Star (2002 film)
T
They Fought for Their Country
The Third Blow
U
The Unknown Soldier (1955 film)
The Unknown Soldier (1985 film)
V
The Vow (1946 film)
Z
Zoya (film)"
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Force 10 from Navaronne is ok.   but not a typical eastern front movie.

If you're going to mention Partisan Films then you have to mention Battle of Neretva.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
hands down, Cross of Iron

one of Peckingpahs best.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've seen it, and it seriously messes with your head.  More of a horror movie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to see Cross of Iron.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Downfall.  Good movie about the last days with the Soviet push into Berlin from the perspective of Hitler's seretary and an SS Doctor.

One of the best movies of WW2 I've ever seen actually in that it doesn't hit you over the head with anything, has excellent acting, and it's one of the few foreign language films I really love. Have it on DVD and must have watched it a hundred times.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Downfall.  Good movie about the last days with the Soviet push into Berlin from the perspective of Hitler's seretary and an SS Doctor.

One of the best movies of WW2 I've ever seen actually in that it doesn't hit you over the head with anything, has excellent acting, and it's one of the few foreign language films I really love. Have it on DVD and must have watched it a hundred times.  

by far one of the best movies ever. the cast even LOOK their part, and no one has ever played Hitler as well as Bruno Ganz did.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#13]
What about that sci fi movie about the German King Tiger tank and crew against some monster in the dead of a Russian winter?  It was making the rounds a year or so ago.  Have no idea what the name is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Cross of Iron."

http://andygeddon.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/coburn-as-steiner.jpg

"Stalingrad."

http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/157/556/466/lV1G.jpg

"Attack and Retreat," a 1965 movie with Peter Falk about the Italian Army on the Eastern Front.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qR2fNgc-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's a few more out there but not many.

cross of iron is one of james coburn's best films,

"steiner!......follow me capitan, and I'll show you where the cross of iron grows"

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

by far one of the best movies ever. the cast even LOOK their part, and no one has ever played Hitler as well as Bruno Ganz did.

Yup, it's as close to being in the Fuhrer Bunker as I'd ever want to get. Wish they had given more combat scenes.  I'd like to see someone do a movie on the Hitler Youth in the last days that was decent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about that sci fi movie about the German King Tiger tank and crew against some monster in the dead of a Russian winter?  It was making the rounds a year or so ago.  Have no idea what the name is.

"Panzer 88" still in the works
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, that was a truly great movie.  I don't know whether I'd call it an Eastern Front movie, though, since it mostly takes place in Berlin, but it was one of the best depictions of Hitler I've seen in a movie.  

I recently saw the fact-based Russian movie, "The Brest Fortress," also called "Fortress of War."  It was about the Russian-occupied fortress at Brest-Litovsk during the opening days of the German invasion.  The movie might seem overly sentimental to some in the US, but I think that's largely cultural.  The version I saw had English subtitles, and that may annoy some viewers.  Still, I think it was a very good movie.

Top Top